• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am just ready for the post FP DLC and I hope we can get thru FP5 without another Square character that could potentially hurt his chances.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am just ready for the post FP DLC and I hope we can get thru FP5 without another Square character that could potentially hurt his chances.
At this point Fatman's making me think we're getting a Bamco character, or if he's incorrect in his theorizing, we're getting a Sony character. VGA is a great venue for an earth shattering reveal like that, and a great followup to the big 3 being on stage last year - now they're on stage in Nintendo's game.

Then again, since Smash Ultimate is likely to win best Esports title or something similar, showing off anyone could be done without it having to be mindblowing, just part of the acceptance.

EDIT: Thinking about it, it sure would be wild if they revealed a new character for every award the game wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I have the utmost faith in your ability to not make a big deal out of little things that don't matter and to let us get back to talking about Geno in that case.

And speaking of which, is there going to be a group livestream of the Game Awards this year? Geno could potentially get revealed. We should organize/arrange one.
And I have supreme faith that in the future you’ll get that character discussion threads maybe aren’t a great place to drag out jokes about white supremacy :^)

and usually people just watch the stream somewhere else and commentate on it here.

D

Deleted member

And I have supreme faith that in the future you’ll get that character discussion threads maybe aren’t a great place to drag out jokes about white supremacy :^)

and usually people just watch the stream somewhere else and commentate on it here.
He absolutely did not make any such joke and I'm ashamed of you for dragging the topic on.

D

Deleted member

*sigh*

No matter who's right or wrong the Geno thread isn't the right place to talk nor joke about politics as it's a very divisive and sensitive topic this website has a debate hall for that. Go somewhere else if need be or drop it right here right now.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I recall an amusing/insane reason someone had on SmashFAQs to justify why Geno won't be playable. It's because TerminalMontage's Geno video only had ~700,000 views opposed to his other videos that have over a million. So clearly Geno isn't popular and is forgettable because reasons.

D

Deleted member

I recall an amusing/insane reason someone had on SmashFAQs to justify why Geno won't be playable. It's because TerminalMontage's Geno video only had ~700,000 views opposed to his other videos that have over a million. So clearly Geno isn't popular and is forgettable because reasons.
I bet they feel dumb now that Sakurai has destroyed the relevancy argument.

BZocky

Smash Ace
I wouldn’t really use 3 ‘Sony’ reps in the game as reasoning not to have another associated with the company. Sakurai seems to be thinking in terms of different universes as opposed to different corporations.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I bet they feel dumb now that Sakurai has destroyed the relevancy argument.
You'd think they would feel dumb with this after K Rool.

You'd think they would feel dumb with this after Banjo.

(And hopefully) You'd think they would feel dumb with this after Geno.

Nope. No matter how many times they are proven wrong, they will just move onto the next hopeful character to claim how irrelevant they are and therefore cannot be added to Smash.

Firox

Smash Master
Meh, whatever, it's still funny. This is page 1776 and on page 1776 we value freedom of speech even if it offends people. :p *cue eagles* *cue national anthem* *cue McDonald's and Coca Cola*
*Cue grizzly bear dual-wielding shotguns while riding a Predator drone* "AMERICA! F*CK YEAH! COMIN' AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERF*CKING DAY, YEAH!"

D

Deleted member

The Smash fandom is legit bad.

They hate on any character they know nothing about or dislike and the people who want them.

Literally before E3 it was tough to say around Discord how much you wanted a DQ rep because people would start judging you and asking for a good moveset... Just to keep mocking you even after sharing one. And the same is happening to me right now with Pauline and Saber

My tip is simple: tell the people who judge you as a whole over the characters you want to frick off and not give them attention.

link2702

Smash Champion
ehh...it is past the 1776 page now so...w/e. Let’s move on.

In other news, uncomfortable gaming facts that are uncomfortable; donkey Kong country is now officially 25 years old. In two more years smrpg will be. Also everyone in this thread will likely live long enough to see the days that both the creator of mario, AND the voice of Mario pass away from natural causes, as both are over the age of 60.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ehh...it is past the 1776 page now so...w/e. Let’s move on.

In other news, uncomfortable gaming facts that are uncomfortable; donkey Kong country is now officially 25 years old. In two more years smrpg will be. Also everyone in this thread will likely live long enough to see the days that both the creator of mario, AND the voice of Mario pass away from natural causes, as both are over the age of 60.
You want uncomfortable gaming facts? Forget about games on the SNES.

Mario Galaxy is over a decade old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewber

Smash Rookie
First time poster here. Just want to say that Geno is my boi and I really hope he makes it in Ultimate. I think his chances are pretty damn good at this point. He probably won’t be the 5th DLC fighter but afterwards for sure. Funny thing is I didn’t even know who he was until Smash 4 speculation started and his name kept coming up so I googled him and immediately fell in love with his design. Coolest Mario character by far. I may be dating myself here a bit but I grew up with the Super Nintendo as my first console but never played SMRPG. Just completed my first play through of it about a year ago and it’s now in my top 3 snes games of all time. It took some time but I finally got it :).

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

They hate on any character they know nothing about or dislike and the people who want them.

Literally before E3 it was tough to say around Discord how much you wanted a DQ rep because people would start judging you and asking for a good moveset... Just to keep mocking you even after sharing one. And the same is happening to me right now with Pauline and Saber

My tip is simple: tell the people who judge you as a whole over the characters you want to frick off and not give them attention.
Honestly? The Smash fanbase, mostly SmashFAQs, has made me start to resent and dislike Crono, which isn't right (and it's not even the Crono fans!).

What gets me is the Smash fanbase hypocrisy. We've seen the 'reasons' why they typically don't want some characters and how obnoxious they get saying how these characters shouldn't be added: too irrelevant (used against K Rool), one game character (against Geno), anime swordsman (ANY Fire Emblem character), exiled by owners (Banjo), uses a sword (any sword user, usually at Isaac), only 90s manbabies want him (K Rool and other 90s character), unoriginal/bland moveset (Erdrick), unimportant to gaming (Banjo/Dixie/etc), no personality (Bandana Dee), character type already in game/would be a clone (Megaman (this was the main counter against him, claiming he would be a Samus clone)), its Goku (Goku).

And yet, once Crono is mentioned, all of a sudden those ironclad fan rules go out the window and now Crono is an exciting, deserving and obvious addition to Smash that everyone needs to recognize. Except he combines all the reasons why they DON'T want a character added. They hate anime swordsman FE and Goku the most and he's literally Sword Goku! How can they rip apart Geno, Dixie, Banjo, K Rool, etc for flimsy reasons and then turn around and claim how perfect Crono would be?

I'm trying to not have my opinion on Crono turn as it's not even him or his fanbase but Smashbase being....well....Smashbase. But the hypocrisy is getting annoying.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Some more food for thought, why would Sakurai bring up relevancy not being important? Does this mean we're getting more """irrelevant""" characters, like our boi Geno? :kirby:

Maybe the 2nd fighter's pass will include a few "who?" characters. Oh, the mystery!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not gonna lie, if this Sony thing pans out, Kratos in smash would be ****ing sick. If we got Master Chief in there too it would be even better. It's probably nothing, but holy crap that would be cool. Imagine Mario, Kratos, and Master Chief in the same game. Talk about the crossover of the century!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Yeah how dare people not like every single character that gets into Smash Bros. Look, people shouldn't be attack others for wanting characters, but people are allowed to not like character that they dislike.

D

Deleted member

Yeah how dare people not like every single character that gets into Smash Bros. Look, people shouldn't be attack others for wanting characters, but people are allowed to not like character that they dislike.
Yeah.

With respect.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'd rather not have Kratos. although I wouldn't be against his inclusion. I'd rather just have Tomba or Daniel Fortesque instead.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Some more food for thought, why would Sakurai bring up relevancy not being important? Does this mean we're getting more """irrelevant""" characters, like our boi Geno? :kirby:

Maybe the 2nd fighter's pass will include a few "who?" characters. Oh, the mystery!
When did Sakurai say that?

Not gonna lie, if this Sony thing pans out, Kratos in smash would be ****ing sick. If we got Master Chief in there too it would be even better. It's probably nothing, but holy crap that would be cool. Imagine Mario, Kratos, and Master Chief in the same game. Talk about the crossover of the century!
Not just them but icons and legends such as: :ultsonic:, :ultpacman:, :ultlink:, :ultdk:, :ultpikachu:, :ultmegaman:, :ultryu:, :ultken:, :ultsamus:, :ultsnake:, :ultcloud:, :ultsimon:, and :ultbanjokazooie: as well.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Hey Guys, have anyone here seen these pictures of the smash bros characters in the style of cartoon styles? here are some pictures.

Edit: Here's the Twitter Account of the artist who made the pictures since the photos didn't load.
https://twitter.com/eternalflamebry?lang=en
I’ve seen these on the Smash reddit they’re soooo good. They’ve been posting more every Saturday I think, with a different show for each character.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I’ve seen these on the Smash reddit they’re soooo good. They’ve been posting more every Saturday I think, with a different show for each character.
It isn't just TV Shows(Yoshi is in Dr. Seuss and Dark Samus is in Tim Burton), but i'd like to ask if Geno was added what style do you think he would be in?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
It isn't just TV Shows(Yoshi is in Dr. Seuss and Dark Samus is in Tim Burton), but i'd like to ask if Geno was added what style do you think he would be in?
Good question. My brain went straight to Muppets, cause he’s a puppet

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Are people legitimately speculating a Sony character in Smash Bros or is this just for goofs? Because this is the company that was entirely against crossplay with Nintendo & Microsoft consoles for a lot of their third party games, ain't no way Sony is going to put one of their characters in Smash Bros

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Good question. My brain went straight to Muppets, cause he’s a puppet
Would Make Sense though i heard the artist would have trouble incorporating 3D with the fighters for CGI Stuff, though he did stylize his characters into the muppets once.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Are people legitimately speculating a Sony character in Smash Bros or is this just for goofs? Because this is the company that was entirely against crossplay with Nintendo & Microsoft consoles for a lot of their third party games, ain't no way Sony is going to put one of their characters in Smash Bros
We're in a dry spell at the moment, so it could really go either way as far as speculation is concerned. People are hungry. However, they fail to realize that the perfect sony rep isn't some old and busted **** like kratos. The true red hot sony rep is vibri, from vibribbon.

Also Mr. Domino (whom no one can stop)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Teen Titans or Jackie Chan Adventures. Either I wouldn't mind.

My brain went straight to Muppets, cause he’s a puppet
Gruntilda: You stole my line! Now how about you have a spell of mine!

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
A long time ago, I brought up a question of how people in this thread might react if they hate the way Geno plays when added, and the answers were about what you'd expect: "he's getting played".

But, as a former Mega Man main, this resonates with me. Even though I was 10 years before actually playing one, in the grand scheme of things, that means I grew up with Mega Man. When Brawl speculation season was in full swing, my close friends (aka my only friends lmao) asked me if I was hoping for Mega Man, and I told them no, because I didn't want a clone of Samus. It would be neat, and I would probably play him, but overall, I had bigger dreams than Mega Man. Naturally, when he was revealed for Smash 4, that was hype. I couldn't believe it, and to top things off, he wasn't a clone of Samus. Despite never really wanting him, how could I not play him? Especially after learning that for no readily apparent reason they cut Lucas. I was so hyped up when the Club Nintendo Smash demo released, I immediately picked him up and started learning his moves, and...

He was terrible. Those were the first words out of my mouth: "he's pretty bad." But, when the full version came out and I unlocked everyone, the truth reared its ugly head: my Brawl main was gone, and my Melee main, Marth, was feeling kind of... eh. Out of the newcomers I was vaguely interested in, Shulk wasn't everything I was hoping for, and Robin is even worse than I could have imagined... Really all there was for me was Mega Man. It was fine, though, maybe he was really weak and didn't have much in the way of kill power, he was fun to move around as and really really annoying. There's a lot to be said for pestering your opponent until they've basically given you the game by wanting to get back at you so badly they mistake themselves to death. And hey, if you can keep them out, the clock's ticking!

When I look back on it, it was fun for a while, but after a few months, I really just didn't enjoy the way I had to play him. He had a dedicated community that was constantly pumping out tech for him, sure, but most of it was situational at best and his jab lock loop relied on your opponent just making a mistake and falling into it - hence why even Kameme wasn't pulling it off consistently after he illustrated how deadly it could be at EVO. The truth was that Mega Man was a one trick pony and once everyone knows the trick, he's dead in the water. The last year or so of 4, I really jived with Lucas a bit more than Mega Man, but it's like, I've already put four years into Mega Man, I can't just quit playing him.

This is where our stories go polar opposite, though - Ultimate. I was really interested to see how he was buffed for Ultimate since it was obvious that everyone else was getting jacked. Since Nintendo really fumbled in comparison to Smash 4's release, what with no playable demo, I had to rely on the second hand accounts of people who were lucky enough to play it at E3, or when Nintendo brought the official demo to big events like CEO, and things weren't sounding too good. Some guys downloaded the leaked version about two weeks before it came out and I was fortunate enough to play it early, and it confirmed my fears that Mega Man came into the game mostly unchanged. Sure, pellets go further. Nice, Fire Sword actually kills, eventually. Wow, Metal Blade does a lot of damage now. So does Leaf Shield, but it has this janky "hold B" thing going for it, and you can't footstool with it anymore, and Metal Blade doesn't combo into the ZIGMA upper... like why? Why take everything from him and give him some minor buffs? I say this when people ask me why I dropped him, and I feel like it's the truth - Mega Man feels like a Smash 4 character who just got ported to Ultimate. He's stuck in a game where his gimmick barely works and it confuses me why people consider him so good in this one when it seems like the big names who played him have reduced him to secondary - I feel like I even see more Wario out of Kameme than I do Mega Man. And to make matters worse, it feels like every time a tech was discovered for him, something to make him somewhat threatening, they patched it out. It's sad to me, because I do like him as a character, but I just can't play him anymore because the amount of effort to secure even one stock, much less the whole game and the whole set, is just too much.

All that aside, I've wanted Geno in Smash for nearly 18 years. That's almost 2/3 of my life. If it means the end of my position in my local scene or even the end of going above 0-2 when I travel, I'm going to main him. Lucas can bail me out of loser's bracket if it's that bad for the first few weeks. Mega Man was a "I guess it'd be cool", Geno is a dream. The dream. I checked the Brawl Dojo every day waiting for Geno. And Smash 4. And Ultimate. And to make things better, he's the embodiment of a lot of people's dreams, too, so playing him means everyone in here is rooting for me. What could be better?
Well I don't really agree at all on your take of him but with such a divide we would need to be in person to actually argue this so I'll try to keep it brief. I don't see how you think a sizable range buff to his free projectile, fair becoming an actual move, uair becoming an actual move and with only one air dodge at a time is a ridiculous juggling tool, dair becoming way safer and easier to hit, leaf shield not busting apart at the slightest touch and becoming a great get off me tool, as well as damage buffs all around are just minor tweeks. losing the footstool infinite and the macro cancel sucks I guess but it doesn't kill him off because they aren't really important to the gameplan of a zoner. Hell if getting your tech axed by sakurai ended characters then someone should go inform the greninja gang to pack it up because minor stat buffs all around was all they saw this game but somehow the frog is getting more exposure now than ever. Rock can rack up safe damage better than almost anyone and the only trade off is killing late or needing a good setup, z drop blade into upper is still true unless you screw up the timing or the input so I don't know what your talking about there, back throw is pretty much unchanged, every 2nd uair is a major threat and he can still edgeguard like a champ. If you don't like his gameplay that's fine but saying he's bad and trying to justify it by Kameme or anyone else preferring to pull out a better character like wario when that applies to literally any other non top tier is just disingenuous. Total disagreement seems to be a running theme between us so I'm gonna end it here but like most majority opinions if it really confuses you why people think he's good there's probably a reason worth hearing out. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who could.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom