• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Kratos would actually be hype ngl. Kind of want an artist to do a smashified version of him to see what it would look like. Someone did Doomguy recently and that looked great.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Are people legitimately speculating a Sony character in Smash Bros or is this just for goofs? Because this is the company that was entirely against crossplay with Nintendo & Microsoft consoles for a lot of their third party games, ain't no way Sony is going to put one of their characters in Smash Bros
That’s kinda the reason why it’s strange that they are at a smash event

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
eh I really don't want any more sony reps but until sakurai or modders add the ability to customize the look of the css there's nothing I can do about it so I'm not going to waste energy fussing. We know 5 isn't going to be that interesting so I don't really care one way or the other it's just the next checkpoint in waiting for Geno's reveal. Really curious what the totally new but not recent 1st party character could be if thats real. Hopefully fatman will tell us down the road if it doesn't pan out because I've thought about it quite a bit and I'm interested to see if I was right.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well I don't really agree at all on your take of him but with such a divide we would need to talk in person to actually so I'll try to keep it brief. I don't see how you think a sizable range buff to his free projectile, fair becoming an actual move, uair becoming an actual move and with only one air dodge at a time is a ridiculous juggling tool, dair becoming way safer and easier to hit, leaf shield not busting apart at the slightest touch and becoming a great get off me tool, as well as damage buffs all around are just minor tweeks. losing the footstool infinite and the macro cancel sucks I guess but it doesn't kill him off because they aren't really important to the gameplan of a zoner. Hell if getting your tech axed by sakurai ended characters then someone should go inform the greninja gang to pack it up because minor stat buffs all around was all they saw this game but somehow the frog is getting more exposure now than ever. Rock can rack up safe damage better than almost anyone and the only trade off is killing late or needing a good setup, z drop blade into upper is still true unless you screw up the timing or the input so I don't know what your talking about there, back throw is pretty much unchanged, every 2nd uair is a major threat and he can still edgeguard like a champ. If you don't like his gameplay that's fine but saying he's bad and trying to justify it by Kameme or anyone else preferring to pull out a better character like wario when that applies to literally any other non top tier is just disingenuous. Total disagreement seems to be a running theme between us so I'm gonna end it here but like most majority opinions if it really confuses you why people think he's good there's probably a reason worth hearing out. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who could.
You're right, we'll have to agree to disagree on this, as I don't want to write out all of my feelings on Mega Man and drag this topic off the rails. He's a sore subject for me and I have a lot of bias in me when I say that I hope people don't meme into reality Geno being anywhere near similar to Mega Man unless it's a Hero/Robin situation where he completely invalidates Mega Man by fixing all of his problems and keeping all of his upsides.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Literally means nothing. Bunch of other companies are there, doesn't mean all those companies are getting characters in Smash Bros as well. Feels like anything that comes to a close proximity of Smash Bros the speculations jumps to that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Japan Patent Office is there as well, along with six other non-video game companies. That doesn't mean that we'll be getting characters from those as well - there's more to Sony than just Playstation.

D

Deleted member

The Japan Patent Office is there as well, along with six other non-video game companies. That doesn't mean that we'll be getting characters from those as well - there's more to Sony than just Playstation.
You heard it here first, Sony's Blu-Ray player is about to join the all star cast of Smash Bros.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well I don't really agree at all on your take of him but with such a divide we would need to be in person to actually argue this so I'll try to keep it brief. I don't see how you think a sizable range buff to his free projectile, fair becoming an actual move, uair becoming an actual move and with only one air dodge at a time is a ridiculous juggling tool, dair becoming way safer and easier to hit, leaf shield not busting apart at the slightest touch and becoming a great get off me tool, as well as damage buffs all around are just minor tweeks. losing the footstool infinite and the macro cancel sucks I guess but it doesn't kill him off because they aren't really important to the gameplan of a zoner. Hell if getting your tech axed by sakurai ended characters then someone should go inform the greninja gang to pack it up because minor stat buffs all around was all they saw this game but somehow the frog is getting more exposure now than ever. Rock can rack up safe damage better than almost anyone and the only trade off is killing late or needing a good setup, z drop blade into upper is still true unless you screw up the timing or the input so I don't know what your talking about there, back throw is pretty much unchanged, every 2nd uair is a major threat and he can still edgeguard like a champ. If you don't like his gameplay that's fine but saying he's bad and trying to justify it by Kameme or anyone else preferring to pull out a better character like wario when that applies to literally any other non top tier is just disingenuous. Total disagreement seems to be a running theme between us so I'm gonna end it here but like most majority opinions if it really confuses you why people think he's good there's probably a reason worth hearing out. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who could.
I agree 1 million percent.

You're right, we'll have to agree to disagree on this, as I don't want to write out all of my feelings on Mega Man and drag this topic off the rails. He's a sore subject for me and I have a lot of bias in me when I say that I hope people don't meme into reality Geno being anywhere near similar to Mega Man unless it's a Hero/Robin situation where he completely invalidates Mega Man by fixing all of his problems and keeping all of his upsides.
Man what a weird take. I love MM and do very well with him and think people can do very well with him too. He’s just the type of character that meshes well with some peoples playstyles and not others. I’ll remain hoping that Geno ends up being similar to MM so it’s easy transition for me personally.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Hell if getting your tech axed by sakurai ended characters then someone should go inform the greninja gang to pack it up because minor stat buffs all around was all they saw this game but somehow the frog is getting more exposure now than ever.
Funny you should bring this up because I was arguing with a friend about this over the weekend. He was insisting that Greninja was worse in Ultimate because footstool combos were taken out, but the irony was that I, and the vast majority of the competitive Greninjas, never really put much stock in that tech to begin with. The most skilled players would use them to style on people but the footstools were never consistent enough to influence the meta anyway. Meanwhile, down smash has gone from worthless to sexy AF, the dash-cancel-into-anything mechanic has skyrocketed Greninja's Dtilt/Up tilt combo game, Shadow sneak is now way more consistent and can kill as low as 80%, Substitute isn't completely worthless anymore, and we now have access to at least 3 highly consistent kill confirms. All in all, I'd say Ultimate made him way stronger than in Sm4sh.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Literally means nothing. Bunch of other companies are there, doesn't mean all those companies are getting characters in Smash Bros as well. Feels like anything that comes to a close proximity of Smash Bros the speculations jumps to that.
I see your point but this is not just some random company this is Sony. Nintendo’s other gaming rival. For how sony has been with things like cross play it’s really weird they are helping promote smash when in the past they did not want anything to do with helping there rival companies. Not saying they are getting a fighter but it’s still really weird.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
ehh...it is past the 1776 page now so...w/e. Let’s move on.

In other news, uncomfortable gaming facts that are uncomfortable; donkey Kong country is now officially 25 years old. In two more years smrpg will be. Also everyone in this thread will likely live long enough to see the days that both the creator of mario, AND the voice of Mario pass away from natural causes, as both are over the age of 60.
The SNES itself is about to turn 30 in two years and the NES (in America) is 34. And yet somehow most still work very well. That’s Nintendo hardware for you (ignore the joycons :/)
Honestly? The Smash fanbase, mostly SmashFAQs, has made me start to resent and dislike Crono, which isn't right (and it's not even the Crono fans!).

What gets me is the Smash fanbase hypocrisy. We've seen the 'reasons' why they typically don't want some characters and how obnoxious they get saying how these characters shouldn't be added: too irrelevant (used against K Rool), one game character (against Geno), anime swordsman (ANY Fire Emblem character), exiled by owners (Banjo), uses a sword (any sword user, usually at Isaac), only 90s manbabies want him (K Rool and other 90s character), unoriginal/bland moveset (Erdrick), unimportant to gaming (Banjo/Dixie/etc), no personality (Bandana Dee), character type already in game/would be a clone (Megaman (this was the main counter against him, claiming he would be a Samus clone)), its Goku (Goku).

And yet, once Crono is mentioned, all of a sudden those ironclad fan rules go out the window and now Crono is an exciting, deserving and obvious addition to Smash that everyone needs to recognize. Except he combines all the reasons why they DON'T want a character added. They hate anime swordsman FE and Goku the most and he's literally Sword Goku! How can they rip apart Geno, Dixie, Banjo, K Rool, etc for flimsy reasons and then turn around and claim how perfect Crono would be?

I'm trying to not have my opinion on Crono turn as it's not even him or his fanbase but Smashbase being....well....Smashbase. But the hypocrisy is getting annoying.
Honestly I haven’t really seen people talking about Crono in smash before. If you’ve never played it I really recommend it, its probably in my top three games.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Funny you should bring this up because I was arguing with a friend about this over the weekend. He was insisting that Greninja was worse in Ultimate because footstool combos were taken out, but the irony was that I, and the vast majority of the competitive Greninjas, never really put much stock in that tech to begin with. The most skilled players would use them to style on people but the footstools were never consistent enough to influence the meta anyway. Meanwhile, down smash has gone from worthless to sexy AF, the dash-cancel-into-anything mechanic has skyrocketed Greninja's Dtilt/Up tilt combo game, Shadow sneak is now way more consistent and can kill as low as 80%, Substitute isn't completely worthless anymore, and we now have access to at least 3 highly consistent kill confirms. All in all, I'd say Ultimate made him way stronger than in Sm4sh.
Believe it or not I had you in mind when I wrote that because imo both characters largely went through the same thing.They just changed to become much more fundamentals based for their respective archetypes and overall the options now available let me do things I could never have dreamed of in smash 4. I never played mega man long enough to see if I could do the footstool stuff but given that I could never reliably do the 1.0 tech in ultimate I think the answer is no. It's kinda spooky because every notable buff was something I was explicitly hoping they would do. Maybe that was the monkey's paw for him screwing up falcon again.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
They just changed to become much more fundamentals based for their respective archetypes and overall the options now available let me do things I could never have dreamed of in smash 4. It's kinda spooky because every notable buff was something I was explicitly hoping they would do.
That was exactly what I was thinking! Greninja is much sharper with his fundamentals now and I had been screaming throughout the entire life of Sm4sh for them to do something about the consistency of Shadow Sneak and Substitute. Both were awesome moves on paper, but only now have they become the amazingly cool ninja moves I'd been hoping for. There's really no denying that the dev team took a lot of player feedback into consideration this time around. Granted, there's still quite a bit they screwed up *glares at online* but by and large, they knew what they were doing with the balance.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I see your point but this is not just some random company this is Sony. Nintendo’s other gaming rival. For how sony has been with things like cross play it’s really weird they are helping promote smash when in the past they did not want anything to do with helping there rival companies. Not saying they are getting a fighter but it’s still really weird.
Sony is more than just gaming, there's many other divisions of Sony. I don't know the entire event that's taking place, but seeing how many other companies are there it's probably not a big deal that Sony is there as well. It just seems like a big deal.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
That was exactly what I was thinking! Greninja is much sharper with his fundamentals now and I had been screaming throughout the entire life of Sm4sh for them to do something about the consistency of Shadow Sneak and Substitute. Both were awesome moves on paper, but only now have they become the amazingly cool ninja moves I'd been hoping for. There's really no denying that the dev team took a lot of player feedback into consideration this time around. Granted, there's still quite a bit they screwed up *glares at online* but by and large, they knew what they were doing with the balance.
Well I don't think the changes were good for everyone but it was definitely a net positive for the cast as a whole. There are honestly so many characters in this game i like to just pick up and fool around with sometimes just because everything just feels better. The last patch's character selections felt so explicitly hand picked I really feel like they might understand what their doing now. If they keep it up we could see the erasure of the low tier by then end of the games lifetime and I'm excited to see what newcomers will be made viable for the big stage.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Sony being at the Smash event means jack ****.

The Japanese Patent office is also there.

80 companies applied to be a part of the competition, and 8 got chosen.

It's not like Nintendo sought out Sony to have them join because muh Smash.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly? The Smash fanbase, mostly SmashFAQs, has made me start to resent and dislike Crono, which isn't right (and it's not even the Crono fans!).

What gets me is the Smash fanbase hypocrisy. We've seen the 'reasons' why they typically don't want some characters and how obnoxious they get saying how these characters shouldn't be added: too irrelevant (used against K Rool), one game character (against Geno), anime swordsman (ANY Fire Emblem character), exiled by owners (Banjo), uses a sword (any sword user, usually at Isaac), only 90s manbabies want him (K Rool and other 90s character), unoriginal/bland moveset (Erdrick), unimportant to gaming (Banjo/Dixie/etc), no personality (Bandana Dee), character type already in game/would be a clone (Megaman (this was the main counter against him, claiming he would be a Samus clone)), its Goku (Goku).

And yet, once Crono is mentioned, all of a sudden those ironclad fan rules go out the window and now Crono is an exciting, deserving and obvious addition to Smash that everyone needs to recognize. Except he combines all the reasons why they DON'T want a character added. They hate anime swordsman FE and Goku the most and he's literally Sword Goku! How can they rip apart Geno, Dixie, Banjo, K Rool, etc for flimsy reasons and then turn around and claim how perfect Crono would be?

I'm trying to not have my opinion on Crono turn as it's not even him or his fanbase but Smashbase being....well....Smashbase. But the hypocrisy is getting annoying.
I’m having a similar issue with Lloyd recently.

Like, I feel I have to stress this every time I bring him up, but I do not mind the character itself, and dual-swords could be neat. However, lately he’s felt like the end-all-be-all of Smash speculation and it’s really getting on my nerves.

Like, in a pass that has so far been all about getting new companies(again, counting Atlus and Enix) and franchises into the game, the amount of people who legitimately believe that the final character will be a Mii Costume promotion from the co-developer of the game, and the third(technically the sixth) anime blade-wielding JRPG protagonist, just doesn’t track for me.

Like, sure, I have no problem with people wanting particular characters, this is the Geno thread after all. The fact that this particular character has completely taken over speculation, especially when it would be a generally underwhelming reveal for more “general audiences”, is more what gets me. Especially if we’re talking about a TGA reveal.

And yes, I know that Fatman said that #5 would be underwhelming, but he also said that it would be more like Hero, Terry, or Bayonetta, so I think that he was talking about a very different context. Plus, and I should stress this, I think that Lloyd has a very good chance for post-pass, it’s specifically him as #5 that I don’t follow the apparent mass expectation for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like, I feel I have to stress this every time I bring him up, but I do not mind the character itself, and dual-swords could be neat. However, lately he’s felt like the end-all-be-all of Smash speculation and it’s really getting on my nerves.

Like, in a pass that has so far been all about getting new companies(again, counting Atlus and Enix) and franchises into the game, the amount of people that legitimately believe that the final character will be a Mii Costume promotion from the co-developer of the game, and the third(technically the sixth) anime blade-wielding JRPG protagonist, just doesn’t track for me.

Like, sure, I have no problem with people wanting particular characters, this is the Geno thread after all. The fact that this particular character has completely taken over speculation, especially when it would be a generally underwhelming reveal for more “general audiences”, is more what gets me. Especially if we’re talking about a TGA reveal.

And yes, I know that Fatman said that #5 would be underwhelming, but he also said that it would be more like Hero, Terry, or Bayonetta, so I think that he was talking about a very different context. Plus, and I should stress this, I think that Lloyd has a very good chance for post-pass, it’s specifically him as #5 that I don’t follow the apparent mass expectation for.
I don't buy into the "new company" idea because it's really a stretch, but the fact that so far the characters have all been totally new to Smash, no mii costume, no trophy, no sticker, nothing - that's something I can get behind and the reason I doubt Lloyd for #5 as well. Same with Heihachi - which is why if it's Namco, I'm expecting Dark Souls and will be pleasantly surprised when it's anything better.

Grumbo

Smash Ace

Like, in a pass that has so far been all about getting new companies(again, counting Atlus and Enix) and franchises into the game, the amount of people that legitimately believe that the final character will be a Mii Costume promotion from the co-developer of the game, and the third(technically the sixth) anime blade-wielding JRPG protagonist, just doesn’t track for me.

For all we know the new company thing may not have been intended, since at face value its Sega-Square Enix-Microsoft-SNK. I dont really expect Lloyd as #5 but he’s probably coming eventually

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
And yes, I know that Fatman said that #5 would be underwhelming, but he also said that it would be more like Hero, Terry, or Bayonetta
Can I just say how much I hate it when people use "it's going to a dispointment" as some sort of hint

Not only it tells literally nothing, because everything a dispointment to this community

But just in general it's just so dismissive and mean

I understand people want to temper expectations, believe me, I know how you guys are

But I don't know, dose anyone else kinda rude to basically go

"Oh this so/so character is getting? Eh, Okay people the character is gonna be a dispointment, flase alarm"

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
This page brought to you by George Washington's America, anyway. Our founders envisioned Geno in Smash as a basic human right.
Exactly. Nintendo and Sakurai better be careful, or Geno's blowing up Japan. Again. For America.
(points if you know the reference).

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Here’s a question I’ve had about the inside circles concerning how certain they seem to be about character 5.

Before Nintendo leaked that character 4 was from SNK, how sure were they that they knew who it would be? I remember that one guy was 100% certain it would be Hayabusa, but it seemed to blindside most of the leaker community from what I saw. Before that, did they think they knew who #4 was or were they as in the dark as we are?

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I used to be a little off-put by it but I’m more on board with the Sony idea. I dont really have a strong preference but I’d say Kratos, Ratchet and Clank, and Sackboy are probably the best picks. Sackboy seems a little unlikely because he hasnt had a game in awhile. I always liked that series but never had a way to play it

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice

I'll admit, I'm personally against a character like Goku (though that's totally a personal thing and I'm totally okay with people legitimately wanting him, since opinions). Even as a dragon ball fan, the idea just feels a little too weird for me. Having a non video game character in smash like him rubs me the wrong way. However, I totally acknowledge that, he may very well happen, depending on if Sakurai pursues that, and I'm sure he'd be a ton of fun.

Ever since smash 4, it's become abundantly clear to me that, outside of insider information, the most we really have is pure speculation. We don't know what Sakurai, his team, Nintendo or any of their collaborators are up to behind the scenes.

To me, Cloud is a perfect example. He was the most earth shattering reveal in smash history in my book (or, at the very least, he was the one that surprised me the most, and was the first stepping stone into the beautiful heaven that is Ultimate). I had resigned myself to that whole thing about Square characters like Geno never coming to smash prior to that, at least to the point that the chances of it ever happening were slim to none. Then smash 4 came along, in which we got all kinds of reveals (including many of my most wanted picks), and boom. Out of nowhere, Cloud Strife. The barriers that crumbled as a result man. I still get goosebumps.

To put it another way, we have a generic, potted plant in the roster. A GENERIC ENEMY made it in to the roster. And I have fun using him.

So yeah, harping on people's choices SHOULD be a moot and dead trend. It's just silly to rule anyone out at this point (unless your name is Mai Shiranui).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom