• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Censor dodging
OMG A LEAK
-image removed - a fake copyright page with a bunch of censor-dodging language-

Last edited by a moderator:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Sony being in that corporate tournament means less than nothing for the upcoming character and probably still nothing for the rest of the way. Just seems like a big nothingburger to me all around.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I feel like Sony being in that corporate tournament means less than nothing for the upcoming character and probably still nothing for the rest of the way. Just seems like a big nothingburger to me all around.
Some people act like it's impossible for another company to show interest in Smash without there being a character involved.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Some people act like it's impossible for another company to show interest in Smash without there being a character involved.
Sakurai had the same problem on Twitter. Anytime he discussed a game he likes, many people automatically assumed it was related to Smash.

This is AMERICA'S PAGE!!!! :yoshi:
Ohhhhhhhh...........now I get it.

And right after Terry came out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Super Mario PS4 is the reveal of the tournament:

>It stars Mario, Geno, Luigi, Peach, Sonic, Tails, Amy & Knuckles
>Plays like GTA V and is divided in chapters
>Open world Mushroom Kingdom inspired by Los Santos
>Bob Hoskins and Lou Albano can be costumes for Mario. Only the license for John Leguizamo could be afforded for Luigi
>Kratos is Mario’s job boss in this world
>Bowser and Eggman are the main villains. They own Kratos’ rival company
>There’s a mission where you have to help Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Jak stop Eggman’s wife from going with Shadow
>Peach, Tails, Knuckles and Amy are playable, but only on quick time events
>Loads of Sony’s product placement
>The final level is Geno using the power of all the heroes to defeat Infinite in a battle that has Eminem music in the background

I know all of this because my son works at the Nintendo Secret Service and goes to drink with VR Plant on mondays.

D

Deleted member

Time to hit some conversation topics I missed over the weekend~

One thing to consider is Geno's stats from Mario RPG. Let's compare him to Mario:

Mario
HP: 179
Attack: 127
Magic: 94
Phys Def: 85
Mag Def: 70
*Speed: 20

Geno
HP: 167
Attack: 153
Magic: 106
Phys Def: 105
Mag Def: 75
*Speed: 30

*Speed only determines turn order and does not change upon level up.

Geno hits really hard. His total physical attack actually rivals Bowser's (158). Geno is also the fastest party member by a pretty wide margin with only Peach coming close (24). Even though Geno's often considered a glass canon, he actually enjoys greater physical defense than Mario as well.

I see Geno as a combination of Toon Link and Megaman. I think Geno will focus on a variety of projectiles that travel varying distances. That said, I think he'll also be fairly quick and aggressive for a zoner and maybe even surprisingly sturdy. I'm most intrigued by how Sakurai will represent his specials. Geno requires a charge time, and that stationary build up has hampered characters like Samus (pre-Ultimate) and Robin.
So what you're saying is, if they kept his stats accurate to his source game in comparison to his partners in Smash, he would be faster, stronger (in fact, almost as strong as Bowser), and heavier than one of the most braindead pick up and play characters in the game, but approximately the same size.

If that turns out to be the case, he is definitely the answer to my prayers for a character I love that also balances out the matchups Lucas is bad at. There's no way he won't be technical as all hell to balance out that power, which is even better.

This is a point I'd like to laborate on because there may be some that haven't considered it yet. Seeing mega man revealed in smash 4 was by far the hypest moment in smash for up to now, it single-handedly sold me the game despite having the weakest case of newcomers ever imo. But when I finally got my hands in him I was dismayed to find that I just didn't gel with him at all. He just felt completely awful to play and until the cheesy infinites were discovered it seems I wasn't alone in that. If they hadn't fixed cap back after trashing him in brawl I probably would have forgotten about that game altogether. Luckily megaman went through some drastic buffs to almost every single one of his moves and his new ultimate version plays exactly how I always hoped it would since seeing him in action that e3 all those years ago. The point of this story is that I'm terrified I'm going to go through the exact same thing with geno and seeing how ridley and especially k rool turned out have only intensified that fear. Granted the team have been a lot more willing to work with bad characters in meaningful ways this time and so far dlc has been mid tier at worst, but I technically did have it happen again with hero as I was really hyped to play solo in smash but his moves are so laggy and punishable your forced into a extremely unconventional method of attack by just exploiting a few cheesy moves to keep up that just feels really off. Maybe it will end up fine and it probably will but until it does I'm going to have that in the back of my mind.
A long time ago, I brought up a question of how people in this thread might react if they hate the way Geno plays when added, and the answers were about what you'd expect: "he's getting played".

But, as a former Mega Man main, this resonates with me. Even though I was 10 years before actually playing one, in the grand scheme of things, that means I grew up with Mega Man. When Brawl speculation season was in full swing, my close friends (aka my only friends lmao) asked me if I was hoping for Mega Man, and I told them no, because I didn't want a clone of Samus. It would be neat, and I would probably play him, but overall, I had bigger dreams than Mega Man. Naturally, when he was revealed for Smash 4, that was hype. I couldn't believe it, and to top things off, he wasn't a clone of Samus. Despite never really wanting him, how could I not play him? Especially after learning that for no readily apparent reason they cut Lucas. I was so hyped up when the Club Nintendo Smash demo released, I immediately picked him up and started learning his moves, and...

He was terrible. Those were the first words out of my mouth: "he's pretty bad." But, when the full version came out and I unlocked everyone, the truth reared its ugly head: my Brawl main was gone, and my Melee main, Marth, was feeling kind of... eh. Out of the newcomers I was vaguely interested in, Shulk wasn't everything I was hoping for, and Robin is even worse than I could have imagined... Really all there was for me was Mega Man. It was fine, though, maybe he was really weak and didn't have much in the way of kill power, he was fun to move around as and really really annoying. There's a lot to be said for pestering your opponent until they've basically given you the game by wanting to get back at you so badly they mistake themselves to death. And hey, if you can keep them out, the clock's ticking!

When I look back on it, it was fun for a while, but after a few months, I really just didn't enjoy the way I had to play him. He had a dedicated community that was constantly pumping out tech for him, sure, but most of it was situational at best and his jab lock loop relied on your opponent just making a mistake and falling into it - hence why even Kameme wasn't pulling it off consistently after he illustrated how deadly it could be at EVO. The truth was that Mega Man was a one trick pony and once everyone knows the trick, he's dead in the water. The last year or so of 4, I really jived with Lucas a bit more than Mega Man, but it's like, I've already put four years into Mega Man, I can't just quit playing him.

This is where our stories go polar opposite, though - Ultimate. I was really interested to see how he was buffed for Ultimate since it was obvious that everyone else was getting jacked. Since Nintendo really fumbled in comparison to Smash 4's release, what with no playable demo, I had to rely on the second hand accounts of people who were lucky enough to play it at E3, or when Nintendo brought the official demo to big events like CEO, and things weren't sounding too good. Some guys downloaded the leaked version about two weeks before it came out and I was fortunate enough to play it early, and it confirmed my fears that Mega Man came into the game mostly unchanged. Sure, pellets go further. Nice, Fire Sword actually kills, eventually. Wow, Metal Blade does a lot of damage now. So does Leaf Shield, but it has this janky "hold B" thing going for it, and you can't footstool with it anymore, and Metal Blade doesn't combo into the ZIGMA upper... like why? Why take everything from him and give him some minor buffs? I say this when people ask me why I dropped him, and I feel like it's the truth - Mega Man feels like a Smash 4 character who just got ported to Ultimate. He's stuck in a game where his gimmick barely works and it confuses me why people consider him so good in this one when it seems like the big names who played him have reduced him to secondary - I feel like I even see more Wario out of Kameme than I do Mega Man. And to make matters worse, it feels like every time a tech was discovered for him, something to make him somewhat threatening, they patched it out. It's sad to me, because I do like him as a character, but I just can't play him anymore because the amount of effort to secure even one stock, much less the whole game and the whole set, is just too much.

All that aside, I've wanted Geno in Smash for nearly 18 years. That's almost 2/3 of my life. If it means the end of my position in my local scene or even the end of going above 0-2 when I travel, I'm going to main him. Lucas can bail me out of loser's bracket if it's that bad for the first few weeks. Mega Man was a "I guess it'd be cool", Geno is a dream. The dream. I checked the Brawl Dojo every day waiting for Geno. And Smash 4. And Ultimate. And to make things better, he's the embodiment of a lot of people's dreams, too, so playing him means everyone in here is rooting for me. What could be better?

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

I see your point but it’s really strange that Nintendo’s other biggest companion is helping promote the game without a fighter. Especially because this is Sony we are talking about. This is the same company who did not want to allow cross play until they gave into the outrage.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I miss the days where my biggest worry was whether or not a fictional puppet would get into a video game. Life's really thrown me for a loop and now I can't help but laugh that this used to make me anxious. I know speculation can be stressful, but take it from me, things could be much, much, much worse.

D

Deleted member

I miss the days where my biggest worry was whether or not a fictional puppet would get into a video game. Life's really thrown me for a loop and now I can't help but laugh that this used to make me anxious. I know speculation can be stressful, but take it from me, things could be much, much, much worse.
Not to be rude, but it strikes me as kind of weird that you came into the speculation thread to say that. I don't think most of us here are biting our nails over Geno or any other character's inclusion as if it's a life or death situation, and I would wager most of us do it as a way to relax, even if it's "stressful".

I feel for you if your situation is rough, but posting about it like that seems kind of out of place.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This page brought to you by Trump's America (tm).
I apologize is this comes off as moderating or anything but let's try to keep any political related posts out of the forum. What makes this community so great is even with many differences in background, political ideology, etc we are able to share a common passion for a wooden puppet possessed by a deity.

I don't want anyone to feel unwelcomed just because they feel differently about something unrelated. Let's keep it about the video games. :)

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I apologize is this comes off as moderating or anything but let's try to keep any political related posts out of the forum. What makes this community so great is even with many differences in background, political ideology, etc we are able to share a common passion for a wooden puppet possessed by a deity.

I don't want anyone to feel unwelcomed just because they feel differently about something unrelated. Let's keep it about the video games. :)
It was a joke. We're on page 1776. Don't make me explain the joke; it'll ruin it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not to be rude, but it strikes me as kind of weird that you came into the speculation thread to say that. I don't think most of us here are biting our nails over Geno or any other character's inclusion as if it's a life or death situation, and I would wager most of us do it as a way to relax, even if it's "stressful".

I feel for you if your situation is rough, but posting about it like that seems kind of out of place.
That's not what I meant at all, but you're kidding yourself if you think no one is biting their nails over this. I was just trying to give encouragement for people like that from my new perspective as someone who used to stress out about this. If it's relaxing for you then my message was obviously not directed at you.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Despite making up less than 0.01% of the total characters in the Mario Universe, Geno makes up 52% of all Smash fighter requests. :ultpacman:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It was a joke. We're on page 1776. Don't make me explain the joke; it'll ruin it.
To be fair, you were beat to it by quite a few posts, and in a way that doesn't bring up one of the most divisive political figures in recent memory:
This is AMERICA'S PAGE!!!! :yoshi:
This page brought to you by George Washington's America, anyway. Our founders envisioned Geno in Smash as a basic human right.

Despite making up less than 0.01% of the total characters in the Mario Universe, Geno makes up 52% of all Smash fighter requests. :ultpacman:
spicy

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
That's not what I meant at all, but you're kidding yourself if you think no one is biting their nails over this. I was just trying to give encouragement for people like that from my new perspective as someone who used to stress out about this. If it's relaxing for you then my message was obviously not directed at you.
Basically, if the worst thing going on in your life is that your favorite character might not get into Super Smash Bros, you’ve got it pretty good, right? I can definitely echo that sentiment right now.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
To be fair, you were beat to it by quite a few posts, and in a way that doesn't bring up one of the most divisive political figures in recent memory:
Meh, whatever, it's still funny. This is page 1776 and on page 1776 we value freedom of speech even if it offends people. :p *cue eagles* *cue national anthem* *cue McDonald's and Coca Cola*

Basically, if the worst thing going on in your life is that your favorite character might not get into Super Smash Bros, you’ve got it pretty good, right? I can definitely echo that sentiment right now.
That's kind of the place I'm in right now too. Maybe it's just a part of growing up, who knows? But I'm not going to judge other people and their priorities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She just released this today. Patti does some amazing work, I love her cover of Tressa's theme from Octopath.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Hey, glad to see you posting again, Sigran! I'm rooting for you, and hopefully there are some exciting reveals to talk about in the coming weeks.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
While I’m not sure the competition thing exactly means anything, a Sony character as #5 would be amazing.

D

Deleted member

Meh, whatever, it's still funny. This is page 1776 and on page 1776 we value freedom of speech even if it offends people. :p *cue eagles* *cue national anthem* *cue McDonald's and Coca Cola*
Hey, me too, believe me. I have all the faith in the world in the people of this thread, so I don't think it would happen, but I think it's fair to value a ****show not breaking out over harmless text. I'm starting to feel like this is one of those situations where things get worse because someone noticed, rather than just letting it ride, so despite the fact that it could be saved for page 1901, I'm going to invoke Theodore Roosevelt's America and just speak softly and carry a big concealed laser arm.

EDIT: My faith was ill founded - Future Serenade, 2019

domriver

Smash Lord
So SONY will be attending a Smash Event? Cool - Not sure if this means anything . It was pointed out already that we have Snake, Cloud, and Joker all 3 are more in SONY consoles than ever. I would not mind Kratos as he would bring down the house. I played LittleBigPlanet im not to much a fan but i can see it though. Maybe a character like Big Daddy. LOL ;P

D

Deleted member

So SONY will be attending a Smash Event? Cool - Not sure if this means anything . It was pointed out already that we have Snake, Cloud, and Joker all 3 are more in SONY consoles than ever. I would not mind Kratos as he would bring down the house. I played LittleBigPlanet im not to much a fan but i can see it though. Maybe a character like Big Daddy. LOL ;P
Nah, the reveal is Mario on PS4.

I leaked it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well actually this site specifically has rules against offensive speech. And also off-topic conversation.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Well actually this site specifically has rules against offensive speech. And also off-topic conversation.
I have the utmost faith in your ability to not make a big deal out of little things that don't matter and to let us get back to talking about Geno in that case.

And speaking of which, is there going to be a group livestream of the Game Awards this year? Geno could potentially get revealed. We should organize/arrange one.

D

Deleted member

And speaking of which, is there going to be a group livestream of the Game Awards this year? Geno could potentially get revealed. We should organize/arrange one.
There is absolutely no way Geno gets revealed at The Game Awards. I don't think he'd get revealed there unless they showed off Super Mario RPG HD Super Arcade Edition or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom