• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think Geno is in the Fighter Pass, but I think he is highly likely for the next batch of DLC. I do think Sakurai will look at fan favorites in the ballots regardless if they already are spirits or AT’s or costumes.

My personal wish list is:

1. Geno
2. Isaac
3. Waluigi
4. Skull Kid
5. Bandana Waddle Dee
6. Rex/Pyra

I’d also be happy to see Dixie, Shantae, Shadow, and Rayman for those fans.
Yo, you want/support the exact same characters I want/support!

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think we’ll get that many third party characters in the next batch. The Fighter Pass seems to be all third party and we know that was Nintendo’s choice. I think Sakurai will focus more on first party again for most of it with a few exceptions like Geno and maybe one or two others.
I personally feel like it'll be the opposite. The amount so far for DLC newcomers that are first party characters that aren't veterans is 2. Corrin being a promotional pick back in 4 and Piranha Plant being that weird Sakurai pick for Ultimate. The rest of the DLC Newcomers have been 3rd party.

That being said, we are in uncharted territory now, so that trend might break and Sakurai could just go all in with the fan favorite first parties but I'm kinda getting the vibe that given how Ultimate has heavily leaned into being the biggest crossover in gaming history that they might push for new franchises and 3rd parties not yet in. I know Sakurai's "new world's" statement was a mistranslation, but I do think that given how this game is a once and life time crossover, Sakurai may desire to expand that crossover instead. But like I said, Sakurai could also go the opposite way. It's all up in the air. However, I am betting on 3rd parties still being the main focus unless I see things that point otherwise

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So, for the email campaign, are they wanting my backstory/tragic origin and all that? Just wanting to know how much thought I need to put into it because, as you all know, I write essays for fun.
Skip to the part of your life where you doubted yourself until a little puppet from the stars gave you the emotional resolve to stand strong again and successfully saved that flaming school bus of orphaned nuns who were on their way to a charity benefit to raise awareness of the rainforests on Jupiter.

Also, Geno helped you stopped the Condiment King from attacking people with ketchup and mustard. A true hero.

Also also, Geno saved my marriage. 5 times.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I personally feel like it'll be the opposite. The amount so far for DLC newcomers that are first party characters that aren't veterans is 2. Corrin being a promotional pick back in 4 and Piranha Plant being that weird Sakurai pick for Ultimate. The rest of the DLC Newcomers have been 3rd party.

That being said, we are in uncharted territory now, so that trend might break and Sakurai could just go all in with the fan favorite first parties but I'm kinda getting the vibe that given how Ultimate has heavily leaned into being the biggest crossover in gaming history that they might push for new franchises and 3rd parties not yet in. I know Sakurai's "new world's" statement was a mistranslation, but I do think that given how this game is a once and life time crossover, Sakurai may desire to expand that crossover instead. But like I said, Sakurai could also go the opposite way. It's all up in the air. However, I am betting on 3rd parties still being the main focus unless I see things that point otherwise
Well, I respect your opinion and I can see where you’re coming from. I just don’t see that happening. And frankly I’d be very disappointed if that were to actually happen. Not because I’m against third party characters, but because there are so many other first party series that haven’t been represented with fighters yet.

Smash at it’s core is a celebration of video game characters, but mainly Nintendo characters. “Nintendo All-Stars” as the melee intro suggests. I’d be fine with a couple more third party characters since of course Geno is one, but there are so many Nintendo series that deserve love and hopefully Sakurai sees that which I think he will.

Nintendo calling the shots and making the Pass all third party characters made sense from a business point of view. I think Sakurai will be more selective with first and third parties.

I just hope we don’t get anymore Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters. I love those series and I adored Three Houses, but let’s get some other series represented or more characters.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I have to say, since Sakurai made a point of saying he was gonna please the fans, I have difficulty seeing why it has to be one or the other and couldn't simply be both first and third party characters.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the pass is all third(ish) party characters. The rest should be open to anything.

D

Deleted member

I have to say, since Sakurai made a point of saying he was gonna please the fans, I have difficulty seeing why it has to be one or the other and couldn't simply be both first and third party characters.
I always got the impression that we would get a mix of both especially if this will be long term I assume we'll at least get one which is Rex/Pyra maybe Waluigi and Isaac if we get Assist Upgrades and potentially Chorus Kids or some other 1st party spirit upgrades but most will probably be third party.

For the final Pass character though that's 100% going to be a 3rd party.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Well, I respect your opinion and I can see where you’re coming from. I just don’t see that happening. And frankly I’d be very disappointed if that were to actually happen. Not because I’m against third party characters, but because there are so many other first party series that haven’t been represented with fighters yet.

Smash at it’s core is a celebration of video game characters, but mainly Nintendo characters. “Nintendo All-Stars” as the melee intro suggests. I’d be fine with a couple more third party characters since of course Geno is one, but there are so many Nintendo series that deserve love and hopefully Sakurai sees that which I think he will.

Nintendo calling the shots and making the Pass all third party characters made sense from a business point of view. I think Sakurai will be more selective with first and third parties.

I just hope we don’t get anymore Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters. I love those series and I adored Three Houses, but let’s get some other series represented or more characters.
I feel like though Ultimate definitely has shifted away from being branded as a Nintendo crossover. It still technically is because most of the characters are from Nintendo, but looking back, it definitely seems like they didn't emphasize it for Ultimate as much as they did previously. Like the promotional stuff for these games used to label it as Nintendo's All Stars but with Ultimate, they instead emphasize it as a gaming crossover. The evolution of the box cases is a good example of this. I believe Ultimate is the only one to not say it is a Nintendo crossover specifically.

I also think it's worth pointing out that although Nintendo pushed 3rd parties for this DLC specifically, it should also be worth noting that Sakurai back in 4 picked and added Ryu, Bayonetta, and Cloud. Cloud in particular was completely insane at the time because of how impossible it seemed. Although he did add 1st party characters, most of them were veterans and the one that wasn't was a character not many people care about. Switching to Ultimate now, the one first party DLC character currently is also one that I don't think most had in mind. Some are still upset about it. We also don't know if Nintendo has their hand in the next batch of DLC as well.

I do want to claify though, despite how doubtful I am with the future DLC abundantly being 1st parties, I'm not entirely hating on their inclusion. I'm kinda slightly torn with it as well. I like the 3rd parties because it satisfies the crossover aspect I really like about this installment in particular. Not many official crossovers are this big and it's kinda fun and surreal at times to see franchises that have no business interacting with each other interacting with each other. But then again I also would like some pre established 1st party franchises to get more reps. As a Zelda fan, it kinda sucks that the representation consists of 3 Links, 2 Zelda's, and Ganondorf which is just a semi clone of Falcon. But then again again, there are also more interesting crossovers that can happen if they go for newer franchises instead. Which is why I think they will go the 3rd party route instead. However, hopefully in the end, there will be enough slots to do both and satisfy both groups

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I really have no preference for an indie rep. I would honestly have to go with Sans or Shovel Knight if I was given the choice and there had to be an indie rep.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
In regards to "3rd or 1st party", I really don't think it will be focused on either. I think at this point all that makes sense, and heck it's even their stated goal, is to satisfy fan demand. There are a few highly desired first party characters, and there are also 3rd party ones. I think it mostly just depends on what people want, and probably even ballot results.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Quote from Cave Story is basically a Nintendo character so him

ZelDan

Smash Master
I really have no preference for an indie rep. I would honestly have to go with Sans or Shovel Knight if I was given the choice and there had to be an indie rep.
these are the 2 I've wanted most as far as indie characters go.

And...I kinda got one of them? Hooray?

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Just here to say a few things:

Sakurai said he doesn't expect the next game to have as many characters (not exactly that, but it was the implication). I remember seeing a post somewhere about Ultimate being the final Smash game and just porting it to every future console and even remastering it from time to time. Tbh I'd be fine with that and the game would probably have all the features you could ever wish for when it finally reaches its end.

I also hope that more mii costumes have the same effort put into them as Sans. I get he's just a costume, but there's no denying the care and craft that went into the design is just nonpareil to others of its kind. I feel like this would be a great way to represent characters who are strongly wanted but for whatever reason can't make it into the game as a full-fledged character. Only problem is some people may see this as insulting to their character, which is why I propose this is only done with relatively niche picks or characters that are somewhat difficult to create a unique moveset for.

Geno is honestly among the top contenders in moveset potential that would differ greatly from existing characters, and I see no reason why he wouldn

Zav22

Smash Cadet
The assist is because they have an already implemented model, an algorithm of when they are going to appear and what they are programmed to do. If they implement someone like... let's say Isaac, they would have to either remove that AT completely or program so that he won´t appear whenever Isaac is playable. The latter, if unlucky could be causing a glitch, unlike a JPG that is just... well a JPG
That is exactly what I was thinking if they were to upgrade assists to being playable. If they were played on the battlefield their assist trophy won't show up at all, and it could even work for more than one. Question is are they going to go with the same model or make a new one?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As far as indie characters go, Hollow Knight will always be my go-to pick because his game is kind of an amazing masterpiece that I love more than nearly anything else, though Shovel Knight, Quote, or even an Undertale character (the Sans costume admittedly won me over on that one) would certainly be cool too. That said, I really don't like framing the situation of indie representation in Smash as that of a singular indie "rep" since I feel the whole concept of "reps" to begin with makes Smash into a dumb ****-measuring contest instead of what it really is and always has been at its core: a bunch of really cool characters coming together and bopping each other for fun.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
That is exactly what I was thinking if they were to upgrade assists to being playable. If they were played on the battlefield their assist trophy won't show up at all, and it could even work for more than one. Question is are they going to go with the same model or make a new one?
I kinda figure that the ATs would have to be removed or replaced altogether rather than disabled if the character gets upgraded. Isaac's AT could be replaced by Felix or Garett, for example.

I'm sure that they would have to create a new model, but probably at least start from the AT.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda figure that the ATs would have to be removed or replaced altogether rather than disabled if the character gets upgraded. Isaac's AT could be replaced by Felix or Garett, for example.

I'm sure that they would have to create a new model, but probably at least start from the AT.
If they put Isaac in the game, I don't want them to do anything with that assist trophy but throw it in the trash. It looks horrible, even as ATs go - his Brawl model looked better.

Quote from Cave Story is basically a Nintendo character so him
As someone who thinks a playable, full fledged indie character is never gonna happen, Quote is the only one I think deserves it. Cave Story is THE indie game, made by one dude and still somehow impossibly popular.

...I'd take Hornet, though. Hollow Knight was really good. Like, maybe almost too good.

Zav22

Smash Cadet

I'm not so sure I can see them doing that considering how much time and effort they've done just to make them as assist trophies. Otherwise if we're talking about replacements why didn't they replace Chrome in Robins final smash with someone else from awakening even though he's playable? And is somehow able to be in two place at once? That made absolutely no sense at all. Which is why I can see them making it so that their AT doesn't show up when being played. I do agree if they're gonna make a new model, it'd be easier to build off of the ones that are already in the game.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice, I know you aren't allowed to speak on what the starling/bird thing is, but can you tell us if it's something worth being excited about. geno or not?

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Jumped out of bed to make this. I don't know anything about anything right now, but I thought this would be really neat.

So people have been throwing around the Color Theory and how it could tie with the Seven Star Pieces in SMRPG, so I threw this little thing together. There would be 2 characters we'd get before Geno; the last Challenger Pack and a bonus DLC fighter from this newly continued DLC line. Those fighters would match the colors of the stars, and would set Geno as none other than our 77th fighter.

The picks are what I would like to see, but also matched well with the remaining colors. Thoughts?

the dream.PNG

CraziiDamon

Smash Rookie
So... Do you guys still have faith? I had already lost mine but since Sakurai confirmed more DLC fighters to be in development to "please more fans", I don't know what to think anymore.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
So... Do you guys still have faith? I had already lost mine but since Sakurai confirmed more DLC fighters to be in development to "please more fans", I don't know what to think anymore.
It's kind of hard in a case like Geno's. Much like Banjo, honestly even moreso than Banjo, the character has always been such a long shot that I can never really say I "expect" him to be in. But the needle's moved so much over the course of Ultimate. Ridley's in, K. Rool is in, Banjo is in. Geno is a step further than that, but to me it's not a step I cannot see them making. At this point, I'd honestly be pretty surprised if they skipped him. Compared to some other characters, there's really nothing keeping him back this time. It was never really a question of "faith" for me so much as "does this make sense?" And I think at this point, with what we know right now, Geno makes all the sense in the world.

But I won't be able to believe it until I really see it. Much like the Banjo fanbase who had a no-nonsense leaker leaking leaky leaks leakily, they've been waiting for so long that the prospects of it actually happening felt so astronomically against them. Even if it comes to it that we've got a bunch of leakers saying Geno's the next character, and it seems like he's a shoo-in, Nintendo makes another snafu and accidentally shows something hinting strongly at him, I don't think I can say I fully will expect Geno until I see the official reveal.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Jumped out of bed to make this. I don't know anything about anything right now, but I thought this would be really neat.

So people have been throwing around the Color Theory and how it could tie with the Seven Star Pieces in SMRPG, so I threw this little thing together. There would be 2 characters we'd get before Geno; the last Challenger Pack and a bonus DLC fighter from this newly continued DLC line. Those fighters would match the colors of the stars, and would set Geno as none other than our 77th fighter.

The picks are what I would like to see, but also matched well with the remaining colors. Thoughts?

View attachment 237453
Isaac and Geno as our first characters outside of the Season Pass? That would be hype as hell.

The more DLC announcement put me back into hype mode because other characters I actually want are probably on the table again.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Isaac and Geno as our first characters outside of the Season Pass? That would be hype as hell.

The more DLC announcement put me back into hype mode because other characters I actually want are probably on the table again.
Isaac and Geno are in my top 2 so I really hope that happens too! On the side of indies, I feel Shantae deserves the fighter slot. She has her history with Nintendo and has a relevant game coming up with seven sirens. It’s just her move set would also be really fun and it’s another female fighter which we could use more of after all.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Assuming Geno would get a stage, does anyone else kinda hope it would be Bowsers Keep? We are long overdue for a Bowsers Castle stage and would be pretty cool to fight on falling chandeliers. Someone made a stage mod of that for Brawl and it was beautiful.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Doubtful he or anyone knows.

However, if Geno was in and he knew, I think we need to all stand in awe at his unbreakable diamond willpower.
Unless he were to take to the imageboards and anonymously leak it himself. ; )

Having to leak a leak, Just thinking about it really puts Into perspective how ridiculous this has all gotten.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I sincerely doubt anyone knows whether Geno is in or not, or even if the starling means anything anymore.

Seriously, with Geno having a lot going for him now, I wouldn't even recommend bothering with the starling 'leak' anymore. I truly think it means nothing, at least nothing related to our boy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom