• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It isn’t that she’s a villain that makes her unlikely, it’s that she’s essentially a big twist villain. If she was just morally grey, that’s one thing, but there’s a certain “statue of limitations” on these things that would likely prevent her from being added for a couple years at most.
Is it really though? Most people could guess that she is the Flame Emperor, and it's not like you have to ever reference that fact in Smash.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
So, what was your first console/game you played? For me, it was the SNES and Super Mario All Stars featuring Super Mario World
NES. we had one since I was born, not a ton of games, but it Didn't matter to me because all I played was Mario anyways. I believe we had Super Mario Bros 1, and we frequently rented the two sequels. I guess it's not fair to say I would only play Mario, because we also had Castlevania, which I could only beat the first level of. and we also had Final Fantasy, which intrigued me very much, but I had no idea what I was doing any time I played, and I never made any real progress Past Garland. I would get as far as the next town and get bodied by the Pirates.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Edelgard is not a cut and dry villain and is nuanced character with lots of grey moments and character development throughout the game. I've not played Three Houses to absolute completion, but I've learned about her route and have intended on taking it from day one. She's a morally grey character who commits certain actions out of her character, some of which aren't excusable, but she is a detailed and developed character.

Why would it matter if she is the villain? If anything, that makes a more convincing case as to including her to shake up the traditional Fire Emblem formula in Smash. We rallied around villains like Ridley and King K. Rool for ages, deciding that Fire Emblem can't just include a more villainous/grey character just because seems more driven by fan rules than ever.

Byleth being like their other counterparts doesn't really have to mean a whole lot, all three houses play major roles in every route because the game is based around them. Just because they aren't the avatar commander doesn't mean anything when they function as major characters with roles in the game and as party members depending on your choice of route. Sakurai has expressed interest in doing things differently with FE in the past and has actively done so, I don't know why there's an expectation that he has to again pick the playable avatar when he's clearly been less concerned with that in this game than ever (Plant being chief among them).
First of all Piranha Plant is different. That was a character from a series of consistent characters, Fire Emblem is a series that introduce brand new characters & locations with each entry (except for the ones that are direct sequels). So to represent a series like Fire Emblem you need to include the main character. People could say that it's like including a Pokemon Starter with the Three Houses leaders, but each leader does effect the story dramatically while the Pokemon Starters don't have any plot relevance. It's difficult to compare them like that.

As for Sakurai doing things differently with Fire Emblem, Byleth has a whip sword, time manipulation powers, and has magic that's unique to Three Houses. There's a lot they can do with Byleth that would be consider unique.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
So, what was your first console/game you played? For me, it was the SNES and Super Mario All Stars featuring Super Mario World
Super Mario-All Stars, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back. They weren’t mine, they were my cousins but I ended up owning copies years later. My first console that I ever owned was the N64; Pokémon Stadium, Pokémon Stadium 2, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, and Mario Party 2 were the first games I ever owned and ended up getting GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Super Smash Bros. for it many years later.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm sorry to inform all of you but the bird actually stands for Devil's Third 2. Sorry to disappoint you all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Genobros, just as Tekken 7 grand finals is about to begin, right after Losers finals ended, I SWEAR I heard Snake's transmitter sound. (O.o) EVERYONE heard it and went "WTF?!?!?!"

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Tekken grand finals coming up.

EDIT: Yeah the Codec sound effect was played! That would be the craziest DLC for Tekken. Yes even more than Negan!

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The fact that Tekken 7's Top 8 preceded this year's EVO last day, with the announcements going on now, is giving me MAD vibes that Heihachi... might actually be coming to Smash Bros. Ultimate. :eek:

EDIT: Tekken 7's Top 8 preceded SSBU's Top 8 this year at EVO is what I meant.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Snake might've just been leaked for Tekken 7.

WHAT.
Was that ever leaked? Bros... If that wasn't leaked, we might make it...

Also one dude on 4chan saying it's gonna be a chrono trigger rep with a song they included. Not sure if legit but posting it here for historical purposes

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wait, how many games showed off DLC so far??
Six of the nine games featured at EVO. Tekken is still ongoing, Smash hasn't happened yet, and Mortal Kombat showed nothing new, but the other games had announcements.

link2702

Smash Champion
late reply for the topic earlier but....

SNES, Super mario world, road riot 4WD, and Super Ghouls and ghosts. Got all three the same day on my birthday.

Fun (slightly embarrassing....) fact; I never beat Ghouls and ghosts until just last year with the SNES mini. Yes I had to rely on savestates and easy mode, but damnit I finally made it to that ending screen, a game that had defeated me for 25+ years.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Also one dude on 4chan saying it's gonna be a chrono trigger rep with a song they included. Not sure if legit but posting it here for historical purposes
I heard once that Harada lies to people about characters, preventing Tekken 7 leaks from happening.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Is it really though? Most people could guess that she is the Flame Emperor, and it's not like you have to ever reference that fact in Smash.
I’d say it’s definitely an issue because even if the game never brings it up, it shoves the burden of dancing around the spoilers onto the playerbase in a way that no other Smash character does. Especially considering her fate in all routes but her own.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

Not that I'm aware of. I'm thinking Intern-kun jumped the gun a bit. I'm sure it's a reveal for after the Grand Finals.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Tekken is not something Sabi's source is particularly fond of to my knowledge, so I don't think the starling is a reference to Heihachi. That, and his VA only passed away last year, so I don't think it's him.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I’d say it’s definitely an issue because even if the game never brings it up, it shoves the burden of dancing around the spoilers onto the playerbase in a way that no other Smash character does. Especially considering her fate in all routes but her own.
Same could be said for Dimitri, or even Claude to a lesser extent. Heck, even Byleth could fall under that same logic considering what his/her role in the story is. And like you said, none of that is the games fault, just whether or not the fanbase spoils stuff, which can be avoided.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, we're looking at a possible reveal before or after the final 8?

and how soon might that be? I'm currently 9:00pn EST rn

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'm pretty sure Tekken is not something Sabi's source is particularly fond of to my knowledge, so I don't think the starling is a reference to Heihachi. That, and his VA only passed away last year, so I don't think it's him.
Heihachi is still gonna be in a mobile KOF game. VA passing means jack **** here.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
What if the codec really was jumping the gun and Raiden is the next character reveal for smash?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Heihachi is still gonna be in a mobile KOF game. VA passing means jack **** here.
More importantly, Sakurai said in an interview the main reason why he didn't make the cut was that the moveset was too complicated. If the moveset itself is the main issue, then that's a pretty damning flaw.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Same could be said for Dimitri, or even Claude to a lesser extent. Heck, even Byleth could fall under that same logic considering what his/her role in the story is. And like you said, none of that is the games fault, just whether or not the fanbase spoils stuff, which can be avoided.
...But it’s this fanbase. It 100% will not be avoided five seconds after the reveal, it’ll be everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom