• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Anyone thought of the possibility that they do what they did last year and announce an announcement? Like, I can see why they would think a reveal at the show wouldn't be good given it takes away from the players competing at the event. A nice way around it would be to do what they did last year and only announce that they intend to reveal a character soon. Preferably, right before the start of Ultimate's tournament.

In this case, it would sorta be like Robin's reveal where he was given an individual reveal separate from anything else. So a day or two after EVO the character reveal itself happens.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I don’t post much here but I’ve been reading the thread daily and am loving the surge of excitement and speculation over Geno. I’ve been wanting him in smash since the brawl ballot days and am so happy that this community exists! The main thing on my mind right now is the fact that the mii costume has not come back. It’s hard to shake the bias, but I feel like objectively it would make little sense for this costume not to come back. The only two explanations I see are:

A) pack 4 or 5 is a square character (not Geno) and Geno’s mii costume releases then.

B) pack 4 or 5 is Geno and the mii costume also returns then, sort of like how Erdrick is both a fighter and a mii costume.

The only reason I see for Nintendo to not add in Geno’s mii costume is if they decide that the technical effort of adding him is not worth the effort (hard to believe)

Anyway, just wanted to add some thoughts and say keep up the love, music, excitement, and inquisitiveness :)
Pretty late reply, but my hunch tells me the Square DLC isn't the 4th or 5th but a standalone final one.

Sephiroth is the best alternate choice for a Final Fantasy rep. Change my mind.
I'm not attempting because I fullheartedly agree. :4pacman:
Jonathan Motes Jonathan Motes I'm incredibly late to the coverage, but I just watched your video about Geno and the general perspective on hype. It's incredibly well-done, and it's nice how you dug in and did research on the core concept. If I may, my view on things may shed further light on points you brought up.

I used to despise Geno. I'd seen the hype and love for him prior, so when I went into SMRPG, I expected him to be this massive influence in terms of an unforgettable personality that was right in my face, SUPER cool stuff, and this, that, and the other. I ended up disappointed, even if I loved SMRPG. It only took me years later for me to revisit SMRPG and try to look at Geno from my own perspective instead of what the hype train has portrayed.

My view of him being 'overrated' changed drastically. I realized that everyone has their own view that ends up shaping what Geno means to them. It's unique to each person, even if there will obviously be a lot of overlap (such as loving his design or thinking that his moves are cool). It's a much more personal thing, not something I find is universal. I found my own reasons to love Geno. I thought of lore for him, imagined what he does for everyone's wishes, developed complex motives for him, and made him almost... my own. It's like the Velveteen Rabbit thing. I made him real. I made him something special in my mind, and for a lot of people, that's what they developed for Geno. A specific love found within oneself for an old doll that you loved... is really encompassing for Geno and why he's so beloved.

I always advocated for Geno because I felt that his 'potential' was great. I think you nailed it insanely well, better than I could have. It honestly touched my heart so deeply, and I can't thank you enough for making this. Even though I never grew up with Geno, this perspective feels like an epiphany, and it almost feels like he's a childhood hero of mine without literally being one. It makes me feel like I'm revisiting the little girl who made something special of her toys.

I don't know where else I'm going with this, but... all I have to say is thank you. Even if Geno doesn't make it to Smash, the Geno I love is the one I personally made real. This goes for everyone else, too. A lack of Smash inclusion or love from Nintendo/Square can never take that away.

EDIT: rofl, I typed all of that and now I'm legitimately tearing up. It's nice to feel that shred of being a child that you lost a long time ago.
I always love to see how passionate you are. ^^

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Why would anyone think that there wouldn't be a Smash reveal at EVO given how important it apparently is?
The vast majority of the community I've seen thinks it's too soon for a reveal/there is no reason for a reveal since Banjo & Kazooie are still pretty far out/Hero just released so we shouldn't expect more information (I fall into line with them on this). Also, people don't really acknowledge Lucina and Robin as a precedent for EVO Smash reveals from what I've seen (They weren't announced directly in EVO coverage, just around the coverage like Hero being dropped now, which I also agree with people on as not being an EVO specific thing), so only last year's Direct holds any water for EVO and Smash announcements.

Honestly, I don't even see the possibility being discussed much outside of this thread. People don't expect it for the reasons I've brought up. There's not a compelling history of Smash announcements actually at EVO (including announcements of announcements) and the current Fighter's Pass situation leads people to believe that we're not going to see anyone new for a while.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I joined the PapaGenos discord awhile ago and they all seemed relatively negative and hostile toward the idea of Geno speculation, ironically. Felt exactly like GameFAQS. A shame because PapaG is a good guy, I just dislike some people on his server.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I joined the PapaGenos discord awhile ago and they all seemed relatively negative and hostile toward the idea of Geno speculation, ironically. Felt exactly like GameFAQS. A shame because PapaG is a good guy, I just dislike some people on his server.
When the owner of the server loves Geno but haters decide to hang out and be annoying anyway.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
For that, I say join the Star Road Discord in the very first post. We're far more chill about Geno. It's also the fun and discussion server for Operation Starfall, separate from the actual 'Operation Starfall' server where we focus on planning and events. :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, is there games at EVO anyone looking forward to announcement wise besides Smash? Just curious.

D

Deleted member

You know, is there games at EVO anyone looking forward to announcement wise besides Smash? Just curious.
DBFZ but I'm pretty sure they're going to announce Janemba. I would've preferred Roshi but I guess Janemba could be cool.

So yeah DBFZ and Smash if Smash gets an announcement.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I was bombarded by people who were saying that Fawful and Jimmy T were more likely (and more important to Nintendo/Smash) than Geno and Ashley and all I could do was smile and nod

D

Deleted member

I was bombarded by people who were saying that Fawful and Jimmy T were more likely (and more important to Nintendo/Smash) than Geno and Ashley and all I could do was smile and nod
I mean.. This is an unpopular opinion but I would personally prefer Jimmy T over Ashley though I wouldn't say Jimmy is more important than Ashley cause that's just incorrect.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Jonathan Motes Jonathan Motes You're a gentleman and a scholar. I, for one, was really impressed with the citations and references you used. Actual meaningful academic research on gaming culture seems to be few and far between so I'm glad I now have some things to go out and read for myself.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm interested to see what they're going to announce for Tekken 7. (I'm assuming that there's something)

Street Fighter V's announcement has already been leaked, and while Capcom COULD have another announcement up its sleeves, I doubt it. I'm not familiar enough with the individual series in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle to be overly excited about specific announcements, and I feel like the sixth series will likely be similar (though I'd love to be wrong and get something like Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra in that game, or Joker from Persona 5).

For Dragon Ball FighterZ, I'm assuming it's going to be a trailer for a character that's been leaked several times now. We might also get a shared trailer for Gogeta and Super!Broly, seeing as it's been a while since that movie came out. While I'd love it if they included someone like Roshi, or Caulifla, or Kefla, I seriously doubt it.

I'm not familiar enough with Soul Calibur 6, Mortal Kombat 11, Under Night In Birth, or Samurai Shodown to have any expectations for what announcements we could get. (we already know most of the MK11 characters anyway, so it's simply a matter of seeing them in action) Not sure if the Nightwolf announcement for Mortal Kombat was meant to be an EVO premiere or not.

So it's mainly Tekken 7. The Dragon Ball FighterZ character could be cool, though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>expecting Jimmy to be likelier than Mona and Ashley
Now I want Jimmy in as much as the next guy, and even I find this bullcrap. I bet these guys never hang out on anything online outside of that Discord.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'd like to think there'll be some new games around: KOF XV or a new MvC would be the best, but otherwise, not really interested. Janemba got leaked, Nightwolf got showcased earlier than expected and I doubt we'll see any more MK11 news for a while.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I like Fawful, great villain who would be a nice addition compared to Bowser but Geno DESERVES to be in Smash over Fawful.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I kind of feel like the hype towards DBFZ has cooled dramatically and that's kind of a bummer because the game is gorgeous to look at. I know he's the most popular DLC pick but I really don't care about Janemba and I was personally rooting for Roshi.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I kind of feel like the hype towards DBFZ has cooled dramatically and that's kind of a bummer because the game is gorgeous to look at. I know he's the most popular DLC pick but I really don't care about Janemba and I was personally rooting for Roshi.
It's honestly baffling how such a successful game (one that sold incredibly well on Switch despite releasing eight months after all the other versions) went downhill like this. Worst thing is, I can't understand why. It couldn't be the meta because not everyone is into competitive play, it couldn't be the DLC practices because people just dealt with it after the storm, and it couldn't be Toei as well; so what happened?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's honestly baffling how such a successful game (one that sold incredibly well on Switch despite releasing eight months after all the other versions) went downhill like this. Worst thing is, I can't understand why. It couldn't be the meta because not everyone is into competitive play, it couldn't be the DLC practices because people just dealt with it after the storm, and it couldn't be Toei as well; so what happened?
The common link just seems to be the gameplay, at least that is what I have heard. Lack of change and the mechanics leading to something a bit repetitive I guess.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The common link just seems to be the gameplay, at least that is what I have heard. Lack of change and the mechanics leading to something a bit repetitive I guess.
I'd like to think so, but if gameplay was the problem, people would stop playing Pokémon competitively after dealing with Landorus-Therian for the zillionth time. But then again, I'm comparing one of the best-selling video game franchises out there with one fighting game with a way smaller userbase.

Perhaps people realized that buying games to spite Capcom was just a waste of money, or maybe it's just a thing of Dragon Ball fans preferring to stick to their Xenoverse sandboxes.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean.. This is an unpopular opinion but I would personally prefer Jimmy T over Ashley though I wouldn't say Jimmy is more important than Ashley cause that's just incorrect.
I mean, is anyone from WarioWare really all that "important." They're fun characters and I like several of them, and I previously supported Ashley for Smash... but the more I've thought about it, the less sense another WarioWare rep made. They're all just a big family of goofballs with relatively small roles because that's WarioWare. I wouldn't really call any of them more important or less important than others, and Jimmy T. and Mona honestly seem as relevant as Ashley. And of course, Captain Syrup brings more Wario Land into the fold, so I'm honestly more in support of her these days (plus she frankly has a bigger role than any WarioWare character really does given the nature of the Land games...

I've realized just how little I get along with fighting games not named Smash in the past couple of years despite my repeated attempts. I mean, Soulcalibur VI looks the best of the other options available given I at least find Soulcalibur the most entertaining of other fighting games, so I guess that? I'd also love to see Blazblue Cross Tag Battle get some more RWBY and Persona characters cause I like those series. And I want FighterZ to succeed because it's one of the best DBZ games both visually and fan service wise basically ever. But that's more for the people who play those games than me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, the game does have a bad case of "oops, too many Saiyans!" I just appreciate the game because they removed the goofy power gap between all the characters and characters like Tien and Yamcha are actually cool again.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
It didn't help that some mysterious force kept banning DBFZ at big name tournaments

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I still can't understand why they would remove the Geno costume unless it's because he's playable or they plan to release it later along with other cut costumes from Smash 4. Yes, the Akira and Jacky costumes also didn't return, but they're not exactly fan favorite characters like Geno and it would be an additional series Nintendo would have to get the rights to add into this game, so it probably just wasn't worth it to bring them back especially if they didn't sell very well before. But they already have the rights to use Geno because of his spirit. Of course they would already have the rights for the Chocobo hat as well, but it could easily return along with a playable Geno. Even then it was just a hat and didn't really fit any of the Mii fighters, unlike Geno who was a perfect fit for the Gunner. So again there just wasn't any reason to remove it unless he's playable or we will get it later.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
It didn't help that some mysterious force kept banning DBFZ at big name tournaments
I still think it was Toei. I doubt it could be anyone else when Smash didn't suffer from any tournament cancellations outside of EVO Japan.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Who think there will be a character reveal (or other smash news) at the Evo ?

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
ok. Sakurai Tweeting about evo has gotta mean something.

fingers crossed for sunday.....

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, this thread had a picture of a starling dropped on us about three weeks ago from a source of Sabi's (she's that one really big leaker). It's meant to mean something but we have no clue what it means. Some of us believe it could be Geno, due to star pertaining to him being a star and ling, referring to either him being of the stars or ling referring to small, making him a small star. It's really weird to explain.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
So, this thread had a picture of a starling dropped on us about three weeks ago from a source of Sabi's (she's that one really big leaker). It's meant to mean something but we have no clue what it means. Some of us believe it could be Geno, due to star pertaining to him being a star and ling, referring to either him being of the stars or ling referring to small, making him a small star. It's really weird to explain.
Moookey it's the black bird thing I didn't understand xD
A picture of a starling dropped on us ? Where ? from who ? Sorry xD

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Moookey it's the black bird thing I didn't understand xD
A picture of a starling dropped on us ? Where ? from who ? Sorry xD
Yeah, it's WAY back in the thread a fair bit but Fatmanonice dropped the picture here after a discussion with Sabi's source, who happened to also tease Banjo and Kazooie for Smash as well as Link's Awakening in a similar manner via cryptic pictures.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Ah okay I just read that Sabi posted an image of a black bird and that was a Smash hint. But the other day I read that Edelguard has a black bird on her Shield so idk. But I don't think that nintendo's characters will be in the season pass (and I don't think Geno too, more on an extra character for me). Is there something else that can be related to this bird and smash ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom