• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
What if the bird relates to Tales of?

I want Geno but someone brought up that old 5chan leak guy who heard stuff about Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet Crowe, Hero/Erdrick, and Nakoruru. Apparently he also said Hero would come with a Slime hat and Erdrick's armor as mii costumes, although that's not an impressive guess tbh. He was only sure about Hero, though, so it could be like how some leakers only get one thing right, even if they're being honest...

me: no fear

5chan leak: exists

me: one fear
Which leak are you talking about? All searches for 5chan leaks bring up the Doom/Ryu one. Also, I don’t quite know how the bird could be related to Tales.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I try. Also, no hard feelings? I'm just suffering from the anxiety of waiting on this blasted buildup.
Don't worry about it, it was harmless.

Thankfully the wait shouldn't be too long since EVO wraps up Sunday. And it'll be even shorter than that if things continue to leak...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Which leak are you talking about? All searches for 5chan leaks bring up the Doom/Ryu one. Also, I don’t quite know how the bird could be related to Tales.
Someone related it to Lloyd by using that weird realityfiles website's meaning.

Others relate it to Velvet Crowe because...crow, assuming the species doesn't matter.

I believe this is it:

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-140#post-23131358

I personally don't care if Tales is in or not, but I was hoping for Geno...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dreams have a funny way of telling you stuff but I also believe they can predict your future. I've only had two Geno dreams recently and they both were the same thing, the first one was his gameplay trailer all I can remember was 7 different coloured Genos on battlefield, the other and most recent dream was geno's trailer but it was werid, All I can remember from what is that he was wearing a hood very similar to Simon's in his trailer, Geno just came in running, threw the hood and his splash screen came on
Speaking of dreams predicting your future or whatever I have experienced something like that one time. So I dreamed of me going on the boat my parents own and most of my family were hanging out on the boat I remember my aunts have a boat and parked it near ours and they brought a snack this was when I was younger and me alongside a bunch of my other nephews and siblings huddled around my aunts boat to get a snack. It was like Candy gummy bears if I recall correctly and then a day or two after I dreamed that it came true and exactly like how the dream showed.

It was really trippy and I even remember saying something like "Woah, This is trippy, I dreamed of this before! This is exactly like how I dreamed!" afterwards. this was like a few years ago maybe 5 or so years ago. It was pretty weird and I totally feel like it's possible that dreams can predict the future but I always chalked it up to being a coincidence.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The problem with the theory over Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia is that he might be considered potentially redundant in the wake of the Dragon Quest heroes, and from what I understand, Sabi's source only covers first and second party Nintendo titles. Tales is a 3rd party series first and foremost

D

Deleted member

This isn’t really related fully to dreams, but I lived and dreamt many stuff during the months before June that almost matched up with Peter Parker’s arc in Far From Home.

Some of my nightmares even got close to the illusions Spidey got because of Mysterio. One in particular was about PolarPanda dying which almost matched up with the Iron Man part of the movie.

The way Peter overcame his troubles in the movie even matched up with stuff I did back then to overcome all those horrors in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Others relate it to Velvet Crowe because...crow, assuming the species doesn't matter.

I believe this is it:

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-140#post-23131358

I don't think she would go over that well but I don't speak for fans of Tales of so I wouldn't know. I just really only hear about Lloyd or Yuri when it comes to who they would like in the game.

I think when your last name is Crowe, bird species needs to be important. It isn't like a Crow isn't a common bird.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

I believe this is it:

I heavily doubt that someone would use a random bird that clearly isn’t a crow to mean a character named Crow, and I also quite doubt that the leaker would utilize some really weird website to make the connection. While of course the bird might not mean Geno after all, it’s a massive, massive stretch to get to Tales from it.

D

Deleted member

This isn’t really related fully to dreams, but I lived and dreamt many stuff during the months before June that almost matched up with Peter Parker’s arc in Far From Home.

Some of my nightmares even got close to the illusions Spidey got because of Mysterio. One in particular was about PolarPanda dying which almost matched up with the Iron Man part of the movie.

The way Peter overcame his troubles in the movie even matched up with stuff I did back then to overcome all those horrors in my life.
Well it sure sounds like Far from Home was a big movie for you but why PolarPanda specifically?

D

Deleted member

Well it sure sounds like Far from Home was a big movie for you but why PolarPanda specifically?
Because due to the fact I had just dealt with three huge deaths in such a small amount of months, which coincided with the whole C&D thing that got Sabi made my mind which was messed back then scared about the idea of Sabi committing suicide with how the internet was going against them.

Yeah, things were going that awful in my life back then sadly.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Dreams have a funny way of telling you stuff but I also believe they can predict your future. I've only had two Geno dreams recently and they both were the same thing, the first one was his gameplay trailer all I can remember was 7 different coloured Genos on battlefield, the other and most recent dream was geno's trailer but it was werid, All I can remember from what is that he was wearing a hood very similar to Simon's in his trailer, Geno just came in running, threw the hood and his splash screen came on
The night before E3, I dreamed of a double reveal for smash, non-cinematic trailers for some anime girl I didnt recognize, and pig ganon. Now pig ganon sounds cool, but they just scaled down his model from the classic mode boss to be barely bigger than Link and gave him an uninspired moveset.
Needless to say I'm glad it was not a prophetic dream.

D

Deleted member

Because due to the fact I had just dealt with three huge deaths in such a small amount of months, which coincided with the whole C&D thing that got Sabi made my mind which was messed back then scared about the idea of Sabi committing suicide with how the internet was going against them.

Yeah, things were going that awful in my life back then sadly.
Oh dude I'm sorry to hear about that my condolences that must've been an awful time and thankfully that nightmare didn't turn out to be even close to reality. I hope everything is going better for you dude.

D

Deleted member

On a more brighter note to move forward from the stuff that happened and thankfully is over, I have to say that it was actually the day after I woke up from that dream when my life finally got back on track.

After that I woke up expecting the worst as it was common for me back then... but the day started with the Pokémon Direct I fully loved due to the Gigamax gimmick followed by the hype news of the Battle For Bikini Bottom remake. Both things gave me such an amount of joy I didn’t have in months, and the day got a peak when close to the night I finally got to see Endgame on the big screen after months fearing that I would not experience the movie that way ever.

After that day, my life has just been awesome since then. Great things after even more great things without a stop.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Okay, I'm thinking about it right now and I got to ask, why would they reveal a bonus fighter before the fourth fighter? I think most are in agreement that if Geno were to get in it would be from outside of the Fighters Pass since characters were chosen in advanced and characters that were given a Spirit if there wasn't any plan for them to be used during the time of development. I don't see the possibility of them taking one of the last two fighter and making that one the bonus fighter and Geno shows up early. Also if there is a character reveal I think it would be a fighting game character instead of Geno.
Reasons:
Joker - announced at The Game Awards where last year Persona 5 was nominated for Game of the Year
Hero & Banjo - announced at E3 where both Square Enix & Microsoft had press conferences. (plus a good balance for the western and eastern fans)

Could be a stretch, but I see the possibility of a theme with these announcement.

Edit - Unless at EVO they decided to announce more Echo Fighters coming to Smash and have Geno be an Echo Fighter of Mii Gunner. Highly unlikely though.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Jonathan Motes Jonathan Motes I'm incredibly late to the coverage, but I just watched your video about Geno and the general perspective on hype. It's incredibly well-done, and it's nice how you dug in and did research on the core concept. If I may, my view on things may shed further light on points you brought up.

I used to despise Geno. I'd seen the hype and love for him prior, so when I went into SMRPG, I expected him to be this massive influence in terms of an unforgettable personality that was right in my face, SUPER cool stuff, and this, that, and the other. I ended up disappointed, even if I loved SMRPG. It only took me years later for me to revisit SMRPG and try to look at Geno from my own perspective instead of what the hype train has portrayed.

My view of him being 'overrated' changed drastically. I realized that everyone has their own view that ends up shaping what Geno means to them. It's unique to each person, even if there will obviously be a lot of overlap (such as loving his design or thinking that his moves are cool). It's a much more personal thing, not something I find is universal. I found my own reasons to love Geno. I thought of lore for him, imagined what he does for everyone's wishes, developed complex motives for him, and made him almost... my own. It's like the Velveteen Rabbit thing. I made him real. I made him something special in my mind, and for a lot of people, that's what they developed for Geno. A specific love found within oneself for an old doll that you loved... is really encompassing for Geno and why he's so beloved.

I always advocated for Geno because I felt that his 'potential' was great. I think you nailed it insanely well, better than I could have. It honestly touched my heart so deeply, and I can't thank you enough for making this. Even though I never grew up with Geno, this perspective feels like an epiphany, and it almost feels like he's a childhood hero of mine without literally being one. It makes me feel like I'm revisiting the little girl who made something special of her toys.

I don't know where else I'm going with this, but... all I have to say is thank you. Even if Geno doesn't make it to Smash, the Geno I love is the one I personally made real. This goes for everyone else, too. A lack of Smash inclusion or love from Nintendo/Square can never take that away.

EDIT: rofl, I typed all of that and now I'm legitimately tearing up. It's nice to feel that shred of being a child that you lost a long time ago.

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I don't see a bonus fighter any time soon but I kind of see where the people who think there's gonna be one are coming from. I mean, Plant was our first bonus fighter, and it's not too ridiculous to assume that we'll get another bonus fighter at the end of the pass. But what about in the middle of the pass? If there was 3 bonus fighters I could see one being in the middle... which is where we are in the pass right now.

Firox

Smash Master
The problem with the theory over Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia is that he might be considered potentially redundant in the wake of the Dragon Quest heroes, and from what I understand, Sabi's source only covers first and second party Nintendo titles. Tales is a 3rd party series first and foremost
You know, expanding on this idea or redundancy, I think it's worth pointing out that Hero definitely fills the "obligatory swordsman" role of the fighter pass. Knowing Sakurai, he'd want to go for variation in the inclusions, so I highly doubt we'll be getting any more swordfighters unless they're radically different from anything we've seen yet. Joker and Banjo would probably fall under the "brawler" archetype in the sense that they are mostly close range physical fighters. I'd wager we're almost guaranteed to have at least one projectile-based fighter along the lines of a "gunner" archetype. If that were the case, I'd say Doomslayer and/or Geno would be the most obvious picks due to historical/fan-made relevance.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Okay, I'm thinking about it right now and I got to ask, why would they reveal a bonus fighter before the fourth fighter? I think most are in agreement that if Geno were to get in it would be from outside of the Fighters Pass since characters were chosen in advanced and characters that were given a Spirit if there wasn't any plan for them to be used during the time of development. I don't see the possibility of them taking one of the last two fighter and making that one the bonus fighter and Geno shows up early. Also if there is a character reveal I think it would be a fighting game character instead of Geno.
Reasons:
Joker - announced at The Game Awards where last year Persona 5 was nominated for Game of the Year
Hero & Banjo - announced at E3 where both Square Enix & Microsoft had press conferences. (plus a good balance for the western and eastern fans)

Could be a stretch, but I see the possibility of a theme with these announcement.

Edit - Unless at EVO they decided to announce more Echo Fighters coming to Smash and have Geno be an Echo Fighter of Mii Gunner. Highly unlikely though.
They don’t have to be Echo Fighters to be a bonus, since we have the precedent of “individual DLC”, which even has its own section on the site. Pass characters need to include both a stage and music as well, but individual characters don’t.

Both of those reasons you gave are a bit of a stretch in my opinion(the nomination was the year before, and the conferences happen every year/almost every year in Square’s case anyway), and while a fighting game character would make sense, it would make just as much sense to reveal a character that would especially please the more dedicated audience that would be guaranteed to be watching such a tournament.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Most people who think a reveal could come soon see Geno as eligible for the Fighter’s Pass anyways

D

Deleted member

Most people who think a reveal could come soon see Geno as eligible for the Fighter’s Pass anyways
There are people outside of the Geno fanbase that think Geno is eligible for the Fighters Pass? I'm not even trying to be rude here I've just seen a lot of people hate, dislike or dismiss Geno recently.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
There are people outside of the Geno fanbase that think Geno is eligible for the Fighters Pass? I'm not even trying to be rude here I've just seen a lot of people hate, dislike or dismiss Geno recently.
I meant inside this thread

Most people outside the fanbase dont even think a reveal is coming at EVO

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This. I always read it as a personal deadline rather than a definitive deadline. Sakurai's recent comments about being "way ahead of schedule" make me consider that they may even wrap up by the end of the year.
You know, that never really occurred to me. It would make sense too, given how blindingly fast Hero's release window turned out to be. If this keeps up, the fifth guy will be playable by Christmas.

I'm pretty sure the 5chan leak said it would be erdrick with a female alt, something that didn't pan out. Though I might be misremembering
Anlucia, a character from X who ultimately didn't appear in Ultimate.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Last year's EVO was an announcement of a Smash Direct that revealed Simon, Richter, and K Rool. None of which are from a fighting game, so anything could be revealed, really.

D

Deleted member

I meant inside this thread

Most people outside the fanbase dont even think a reveal is coming at EVO
Oh then yeah totally. Most people here think he's eligible for the FP even if they don't think he's necessarily likely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, as nonsensical as it is, I keep in mind the possibility that the costume could just come back alongside another Final Fantasy character.

We can't be sure that we got a lock until the event blows over. Two days...

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Meanwhile, as nonsensical as it is, I keep in mind the possibility that the costume could just come back alongside another Final Fantasy character.

We can't be sure that we got a lock until the event blows over. Two days...
Sephiroth is the best alternate choice for a Final Fantasy rep. Change my mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, for those not already aware, EVO started earlier today.

Sephiroth is the best alternate choice for a Final Fantasy rep. Change my mind.
Honestly, it feels wrong that he's not in here yet. If/when Geno gets in, Seph should be the next mass fan effort pool Square character.

Why would anyone think that there wouldn't be a Smash reveal at EVO given how important it apparently is?
Because our community has a habit of crying wolf when any sort of game tournament happens.

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I think we know Nintendo a little too well at this point... I'm sure they've got something special in store for us. :mybodyisreggie:

MattX20

Smash Hero
How's everybody doing, I'm new here!
any type of speculation so far?
Welcome to the thread. Speculation so far revolves around the picture that Sabi's source dropped nearly 3 weeks ago and whether or not an EVO reveal is coming up in the wake of the Geno mii costume being missing from the latest update

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Happy birthday contrera!!
Happy birthday, Geno Boost Geno Boost !

———————

The problem I have with the Spirits Disconfirm argument is that it’s very likely all the Spirits stuff was worked on in 2017 if not as early as 2016, and they could’ve allowed and helped to get Spirits like Geno before finishing their DLC plans, which were only shared with Sakurai and his team in January last year, with Sakurai having some form of control over it. We have no evidence that they would’ve removed Spirits later on due to being DLC, either. They likely wouldn’t remove any that were probably already allowed in, anyway, as there wouldn’t really be a need to. You can already have multiple Geno spirits and stuff, anyway.

Seriously, all Spirits aside from the masters are literally just stickers or trophies with buffs, and nothing makes sense because you can have multiple of each. They can just add (SMRPG) to Geno’s current Spirit and just use his fighter render for his fighter spirit, just like Cloud and Wii Fit.

I really doubt they would’ve removed Geno’s spirit; there’s no need to, it was likely already planned and worked on, and it’s not really any different from the Lucas and Mewtwo situation in Smash 4. It’s not like we don’t already have equippable Spirits like Pit (Classic) and Super Sonic, which are canonically the same character as their base fighters and should really just prove they’re fancy stickers.
Yeah Happy Birthday Geno Boost Geno Boost !
Happy Birthday!
Geno Boost Geno Boost Happy Birthday! Hope your wish comes true! :starman::starman::starman:
Same, when I’m not doing college work, I pop in every now and then to see what’s going on.

Happy Birthday.
Happy Birthday
Happy birth, pal!

Apart from King K., yeah, I'd definitely say this is one of the most popular support threads. People love this star boy.
i am very happy now Geno bros. :happysheep:

here is something i made today to make you all happy as well
have a look at the dancing Chef Geno GIF
Chef Geno Dance.gif

I originally had planned somewhere this year that i would show off the secret project "Papa Geno's Pizzaria" world public during my birthday but now its not near complete yet so i am keeping it hidden since my current life situation this year makes me unable to finish it faster and i need to learn more about Unity to create more intersting stuff as well.

Last edited:

Jonathan Motes

Smash Rookie
Jonathan Motes Jonathan Motes I'm incredibly late to the coverage, but I just watched your video about Geno and the general perspective on hype. It's incredibly well-done, and it's nice how you dug in and did research on the core concept. If I may, my view on things may shed further light on points you brought up.

I used to despise Geno. I'd seen the hype and love for him prior, so when I went into SMRPG, I expected him to be this massive influence in terms of an unforgettable personality that was right in my face, SUPER cool stuff, and this, that, and the other. I ended up disappointed, even if I loved SMRPG. It only took me years later for me to revisit SMRPG and try to look at Geno from my own perspective instead of what the hype train has portrayed.

My view of him being 'overrated' changed drastically. I realized that everyone has their own view that ends up shaping what Geno means to them. It's unique to each person, even if there will obviously be a lot of overlap (such as loving his design or thinking that his moves are cool). It's a much more personal thing, not something I find is universal. I found my own reasons to love Geno. I thought of lore for him, imagined what he does for everyone's wishes, developed complex motives for him, and made him almost... my own. It's like the Velveteen Rabbit thing. I made him real. I made him something special in my mind, and for a lot of people, that's what they developed for Geno. A specific love found within oneself for an old doll that you loved... is really encompassing for Geno and why he's so beloved.

I always advocated for Geno because I felt that his 'potential' was great. I think you nailed it insanely well, better than I could have. It honestly touched my heart so deeply, and I can't thank you enough for making this. Even though I never grew up with Geno, this perspective feels like an epiphany, and it almost feels like he's a childhood hero of mine without literally being one. It makes me feel like I'm revisiting the little girl who made something special of her toys.

I don't know where else I'm going with this, but... all I have to say is thank you. Even if Geno doesn't make it to Smash, the Geno I love is the one I personally made real. This goes for everyone else, too. A lack of Smash inclusion or love from Nintendo/Square can never take that away.

EDIT: rofl, I typed all of that and now I'm legitimately tearing up. It's nice to feel that shred of being a child that you lost a long time ago.
I honestly can't express how touched I am that something I made could make you feel such strong emotions.

That epiphany you experienced... I've always thought that having the power to put into words and understand your own experiences, to relate your emotions to others, can be profoundly, well, transformative. My work has always centered on that, to give Smash fans the frameworks through which they can contextualize this unique experience. That my videos were successful in that regard is all I could ever ask for.

This is somewhat tangential, but all this talk of finding beauty in the mundane makes me think of an old musical number. I've always found its notion of what constitutes 'beautiful' to be resonant. Maybe you all will as well.

'Pretty' isn't beautiful
Pretty is what changes
What the eye arranges
Is what is beautiful
You watch while I revise the world

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think we know Nintendo a little too well at this point... I'm sure they've got something special in store for us. :mybodyisreggie:
as someone who's known Nintendo My whole life, I can tell you right now, there is no such thing as knowing them too well. They can surprise you in the best and worst ways And almost never go with what everyone thinks they'll do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing for sure is, I don't think they'd warn people that an announcement is coming in a tournament, or that they'd air it early...

You don't see anything coming.

If nothing does happen after tomorrow, it'll be the longest time that something from Sabi's source took to pan out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 233366
I originally had planned somewhere this year that i would show off the secret project "Papa Geno's Pizzaria" world public during my birthday but now its not near complete yet so i am keeping it hidden since my current life situation this year makes me unable to finish it faster and i need to learn more about Unity to create more intersting stuff as well.
That is honestly so adorable. I really really like that so really good job!

MattX20

Smash Hero
One thing for sure is, I don't think they'd warn people that an announcement is coming in a tournament, or that they'd air it early...

You don't see anything coming.

If nothing does happen after tomorrow, it'll be the longest time that something from Sabi's source took to pan out.
They didn't warn anyone of an announcement, all they have said is stay tuned for updates. It's just ambiguous enough to make people wonder

Is there a Geno fan discord
There is

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I honestly can't express how touched I am that something I made could make you feel such strong emotions.

That epiphany you experienced... I've always thought that having the power to put into words and understand your own experiences, to relate your emotions to others, can be profoundly, well, transformative. My work has always centered on that, to give Smash fans the frameworks through which they can contextualize this unique experience. That my videos were successful in that regard is all I could ever ask for.

This is somewhat tangential, but all this talk of finding beauty in the mundane makes me think of an old musical number. I've always found its notion of what constitutes 'beautiful' to be resonant. Maybe you all will as well.

'Pretty' isn't beautiful
Pretty is what changes
What the eye arranges
Is what is beautiful
You watch while I revise the world
Still need to finish up some of your videos, but you just reminded me how much I love musicals with your tangent. Sondheim is up there for my all time favorites. IF by some miracle Geno is revealed on Sunday...you know what song must be played :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom