• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm telling you guys, you better be ready for when Erdrick has been leakbait the whole time and Sora/Geno get in.

Seriously, we were told that Sora was out and that Geno was likely leakbait, but wouldn't it make more sense for Erdrick to be leakbait? For the character that most of the US doesn't want or even know of to be faked for DLC? To convince us that the future is dreary only to slap us across the face with another crazy hype reveal?

I'm convinced that we will get a hype reveal for Challenger Pack 2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a topic of conversation: lots of people are arguing that the Yoshi's Crafted World reference to Yo'ster Isle and Yoshi Cookie Rings are not a reference to SMRPG but to SMW and the game Yoshi Cookies. Their reasoning is that, in Japanese, Yoshi's Island was always called Yo'ster Isle but it was Yoshi's Island here in the West, this it's a reference to two games that Yoshi was a big part of rather than SMRPG.

My argument here is, if it was always Yoshi's Island in English except for that SINGLE ONE TIME with SMRPG calling it Yo'ster Isle in English, and the easter egg is in English, wouldn't it say 'Yoshi's Island' instead of 'Yo'ster Isle'? Doesn't the fact that it says 'Yo'ster Isle' in English make it a reference to SMRPG?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, new interview from Sakurai.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sing-bosses-and-spirits-new-stages-much-more/

Dude is a legend and we don't deserve him. He had something wrong with him similar to food poisoning, and he just slapped on an IV drip and went to work.
The one thing that gets me about all of this is that even Tansut, the man who leaked Cloud, would be bamboozled. If that's the case, the aftereffects of that will certainly be severe.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man, unrelated to the current discussion, but...

I wish it was easier for Geno's fans to co-exist with other people, you know? I think that's part of what makes this speculation cycle so hard on us. Yeah, we have loud and obnoxious fans who need to cool down. Yes, there are Geno fans who overtake boards with some awful stuff. That said, we're not all bad, and it's horrible to just so much as briefly mention liking Geno and getting severely burned as a result.

What the hell even happened? What's wrong with just... liking a character and letting people like a character? Someone isn't automatically a terrible person just because they like a character you don't. Look at the Steve fans who actually are sweet people and aren't obnoxious, disgusting, "LOL GURL BANJO'S FANS SUCK, STEVE RULEZ, YOU'RE DELUSIONAL IF YOU LIKE BANJO, SIS?" They get dogged because of the terrible fan base, even though not every Steve fan is like that. Heck, lemme just cite TheCJBrine TheCJBrine here, who is probably one of the nicest Steve fans, if not the nicest, I've ever come across. They're the example of a fan of Steve who gets unfairly mistreated due to their character preference.

Just... let us like our characters. We'll let you like yours. That's fine. Is it really that hard? Do Geno's fans have to be mocked and bullied literally everywhere on the internet when not all of them are disgusting? Holy moly. Just... let us be, and we'll let you be. Those who don't let you be are the bad apples, and those are the ones who should be ignored.

It's sad when even liking SMRPG and anything its associated with now immediately gets you harassed. Smash culture has just ruined SMRPG for a lot of people now, whether it's from Geno's worse fans or from Geno's huge hate base. It's... just sad.
It just takes one ******* from a fanbase to change peoples point of view of that fanbase into a negative one. Every fanbase has bad apples somewhere and just that one bad apple or two can start a fire of hate among people for that fanbase.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The one thing that gets me about all of this is that even Tansut, the man who leaked Cloud, would be bamboozled. If that's the case, the aftereffects of that will certainly be severe.
Interesting thing about that, Hitagi made a comment on Reddit saying Tansut is a "Has Been" so we may be overestimating Tansut. I was about to link it but it seems like she deleted her comment.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
https://mobile.twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1102303354582126592

^its important we all vote on this for our boi GENO! PS it’s an SSBU News Unofficial Fighter Request Poll.

Honestly, Nintendo could catch wind of it & at least have it in the back of their heads for a Fighter Pass 2 if GENO gets an overwhelming # of votes... it’s a big enough site.

Worth us flooding the voting pool! Any lil bit of notice counts!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm telling you guys, you better be ready for when Erdrick has been leakbait the whole time and Sora/Geno get in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sing-bosses-and-spirits-new-stages-much-more/

Dude is a legend and we don't deserve him. He had something wrong with him similar to food poisoning, and he just slapped on an IV drip and went to work.
Erdrick could be leakbait. Unlike the grinch leak, we now have insiders backing Erdrick, notably Vergeben or Tansut. It would definitely be crazy, that's for sure. I'll have to wait and see. Don't get your hopes up if you're not wanting Erdrick though.

Also Sakurai is inspirational. Motivates me to work hard.

Interesting thing about that, Hitagi made a comment on Reddit saying Tansut is a "Has Been" so we may be overestimating Tansut. I was about to link it but it seems like she deleted her comment.
Given how outspoken Hitagi is, she might have retracted her statement if it was deleted.

Even if it wasn't a retraction, it's Hitagi. So it's a matter of putting one leaker's word over the other here. Though, technically she can be unreliable and Tansut can be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It just takes one ******* from a fanbase to change peoples point of view of that fanbase into a negative one. Every fanbase has bad apples somewhere and just that one bad apple or two can start a fire of hate among people for that fanbase.
Case in point, the Waluigi fanbase. They didn't deserve that vocal minority on Twitter, wah.

D

Deleted member

About the Geno hate, tell me about it. It's part of the reason I haven't done any speculation on YouTube since Ultimate released. All I'd get were trolls replying to me, literally every single day, just because I want Geno in. I've just been ignoring replies from there, and, if I do any speculation, it's here, and, even then, I have been less active lately.

But it doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't and won't give up no matter who or what pulls us down. We've got this :)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, LISTEN! That sounds awesome! They reveal Geno on March 8, right before SMRPG's 23rd birthday and he isn't released until May 13, the North American release date of SMRPG. A character reveal could happen before Joker's release, and I don't see why not. I mean, it's not like the 2nd character will be released before Joker, they'll be released after. Anything's possible. Here's my assumption on all the characters' release dates:

1. Joker - Revealed on December 6, 2018 and released sometime in April.
2. Character #2 - Revealed on March 8, 2019 and released on May 13, 2019.
3. Character #3 - Revealed on June 12, 2019 and released on August 7, 2019.
4. Character #4 - Revealed on September 18, 2019 and released on November 20, 2019.
5. Character #5 - Revealed on December 5, 2019 and released in February 2020.
I doubt that'll happen, but god, that would be the dream. I have a feeling that, for SMRPG's anniversary, we'll get the Mii outfit back, if we get anything at all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would be content with NoA just noting the anniversary again. Does not have to be anything too crazy, but any recognition is good, especially with how popular the anniversary tweet was last year.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I feel like people have been overestimating all leakers as a whole.

I’d also love to see a screen cap of that comment. Leaker drama is amusing to me for some reason.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

And it still sickens me that he gets hate thrown at him for nothing. This man has the decency to still do his work everyday, even though he's sick and has people hating on him... Geez, it's like trying to hide your depression behind your face, but he's hiding his health behind his work.

Since there's a lot of you that like to share your dreams on here, I'll do one. Story time:
I actually had a dream last night that involved Sakurai. I was working at a convention center with my friends and I heard Sakurai was gonna be there. It was in the morning, before all the important people showed up. Around noon, he came and he was at a small booth on these big horizontal stairs and was talking about Smash Brothers there and I happened to see him. He was standing up, looking down while writing on paper, and I know it was rude of me to interrupt him while he was writing, but I went up to him, teared up, hugged him for about 10 seconds straight and he smiled; he really liked me and was appreciative of me thanking him, but the poor guy looked very stressed and got partial sleep. We had a long talk, had a few laughs and he enjoyed talking to me. Eventually I had to get back to work, so I hugged him once more and after the hug, he smiled and said he hoped to see me again after I was done working. Unfortunately by the time my shift and day was over, almost everyone at the convention center was gone; the day went by so quick. I went to go see Sakurai one last time and he and his booth were gone. :(

I do hope to meet him one day and thank him for all he's done for us. It hurts me to say this and it might be weird, but Sakurai is also one person that helps keep me from suicide. One that still works his ass off and pulls through like it's nothing, and no matter what he's always happy; he truly is an inspiration and one in a billion.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I feel like people have been overestimating all leakers as a whole.

I’d also love to see a screen cap of that comment. Leaker drama is amusing to me for some reason.
Same. Not to mention, that's rich coming from Hitagi, who has since been shown to be full of bull****. They also have an attitude like Vergeben, so needless to say, I can't really care that this sounds rude. Haa...

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Same. Not to mention, that's rich coming from Hitagi, who has since been shown to be full of bull****. They also have an attitude like Vergeben, so needless to say, I can't really care that this sounds rude. Haa...
I personally dislike most of them, even the ones that seem friendly, but that’s a personal thing.

I trust Tasnut as much as Hitagi at the moment which is honestly not at all. There’s something off about this whole situation but I can’t put my finger on it...

D

Deleted member

Double Checked and I am 99% that Hitagi deleted her comment on Tansut I tried using Ctrl+F to find the comment, nothing then I tried the same thing for the beginning part of the sentence, nothing, I tried using the way back machine nothing, I tried searching through her comment history, nothing.

Pretty sure it's been deleted but I know it was there from doing research for a Speculation Piece I was doing. The Comment in question was

"As far as my knowledge goes, Tansut is a has been"-Hitagi

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Let the haters hate guys. Unfortunately there's a very "us and them" mentality ingrained into many a Smash speculation fanbase, with the whole "only 4 confirmed slots left" and what not. Kill them with kindness, congratulate each fanbase that wins (character revealed or otherwise) and continue the push for the inevitable return of our favourite star puppet :kirby:.

It helps that the roster is already unimaginably incredible (and K Rool's glorious return and amiibo still makes me giddy).

D

Deleted member

I'm Starting to truly believe there's a possibility that Erdrick is Leakbait though I'm not 100% Sold on it just yet.

I really don't know how to feel about it either, on one hand if Erdrick is Leakbait then Geno might still have a chance but on the other I kind of don't want DQ fans to get BTFO'd like us Geno fans did with the November Direct cause man did that sting everything was looking good for us too, The Grinch leak, Fan Favorites being added and other hints and "Evidence".

I really don't want DQ fans to go through that but on the other hand Geno might still have a chance if Erdrick is Leakbait.

I need to go write a Speculation Piece on this.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'm Starting to truly believe there's a possibility that Erdrick is Leakbait though I'm not 100% Sold on it just yet.

I really don't know how to feel about it either, on one hand if Erdrick is Leakbait then Geno might still have a chance but on the other I kind of don't want DQ fans to get BTFO'd like us Geno fans did with the November Direct cause man did that sting everything was looking good for us too, The Grinch leak, Fan Favorites being added and other hints and "Evidence".

I really don't want DQ fans to go through that but on the other hand Geno might still have a chance if Erdrick is Leakbait.

I’d 100% read that.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Also on Geno fan reputation. If it helps, I've been a chronic lurker for the whole speculation period until very recently. And even though I want Dixie and Banjo more, I way prefer this thread and the chat that goes on here.

You lot are chill and have great taste, and I think Geno's chances are reasonably likely.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Can I just ask something really quick? I'm not too savvy on leaks, but Smash seems like a project that's taken very seriously and would have top-notch security to make sure no info gets out to the public. Are these insiders part of the development team or something? Or are they just your typical Nintendo employees? Because if I recall, most people from Nintendo didn't even know Smash Ultimate was a thing until they announced it at E3 last year.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

On one hand, leakers have a record, on the other, absolutely nothing happening on any DQ-related events.

In any case, if the leakbait scenario does come to pass, this is the splash of cold water in the face that's needed to get DQ character supporters to actually take their support more seriously in the future. Nothing will happen for them if they don't let their voices actually be heard.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Can I just ask something really quick? I'm not too savvy on leaks, but Smash seems like a project that's taken very seriously and would have top-notch security to make sure no info gets out to the public. Are these insiders part of the development team or something? Or are they just your typical Nintendo employees? Because if I recall, most people from Nintendo didn't even know Smash Ultimate was a thing until they announced it at E3 last year.
I think leaks come from people who have either seen the directs, reveals and stuff early or have been playtesters.

Some insiders also have a really high-up position, but people like that rarely give out any info other than "No Incineroar, no buy" or vague hints.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only "insider" I trust is Polar and her source from within Nintendo as their record so far is spotless. I don't take any other leaker/insider seriously.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
https://mobile.twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1102303354582126592

^its important we all vote on this for our boi GENO! PS it’s an SSBU News Unofficial Fighter Request Poll.

Honestly, Nintendo could catch wind of it & at least have it in the back of their heads for a Fighter Pass 2 if GENO gets an overwhelming # of votes... it’s a big enough site.

Worth us flooding the voting pool! Any lil bit of notice counts!!
I already voted for ya blue puppet boi!

wanna share something real quick: apparently in this prior poll, our boy was beaten only by the big bear and bird.

WE BEAT SORA! WE BEAT BWD! LOOK AT HOW REQUEST OUR BOI IS!

DO. NOT. EVER. GIVE. UP!

So I don't have anything against true DQ fans who want a rep in Smash, but to be selfish for a moment, I feel like that hype has only been recent and even so there are less 'DQ in Smash' fans than there are 'Erdrick is in, suck it' people...and for Erdrick to get in potentially over Geno after we've been at it this long? It would feel really unfair, considering how Geno is still requested everywhere and, at this point, he's one of the few Brawl boiz left (so sorry Isaac fans, I'm still hoping they somehow break the rules for you guys, the Golden Boi deserves it.)

I would be content with NoA just noting the anniversary again. Does not have to be anything too crazy, but any recognition is good, especially with how popular the anniversary tweet was last year.
I swear to god, if they do another poll tweet and they are asking about our favorite areas in SMRPG, NO FORCE ON THIS EARTH CAN STOP ME FROM LINKING THAT TO POSSIBLE STAGE OPTIONS FOR SMASH!

Last edited:

Eric2625

Smash Cadet
Is erdrick's japanese name Lotto or Yuusha?I heard some people use both so i'm kinda confused

D

Deleted member

wanna share something real quick: apparently in this prior poll, our boy was beaten only by the big bear and bird.

DO. NOT. EVER. GIVE. UP!

So I don't have anything against true DQ fans who want a rep in Smash, but to be selfish for a moment, I feel like that hype has only been recent and even so there are less 'DQ in Smash' fans than there are 'Erdrick is in, suck it' people...and for Erdrick to get in potentially over Geno after we've been at it this long? It would feel really unfair, considering how Geno is still requested everywhere and, at this point, he's one of the few Brawl boiz left (so sorry Isaac fans, I'm still hoping they somehow break the rules for you guys, the Golden Boi deserves it.)

I swear to god, if they do another poll tweet and they are asking about our favorite areas in SMRPG, NO FORCE ON THIS EARTH CAN STOP ME FROM LINKING THAT TO POSSIBLE STAGE OPTIONS FOR SMASH!
I would definitely not go that far as I'm sure most of the hype for Erdrick is coming from genuine DQ fans and I have no problem with them whatsoever but I do agree that SOME of the hype for Erdrick is coming from BTFO Culture like the Steve hype, I'm sure a lot of people Hyped for Steve possibly being in is coming from people who are Nostalgic for Minecraft or are Genuine fans but there certainly is a small percentage coming from BTFO culture.

I do agree that it would be sad if Geno didn't get in though as he would be the only one left from the Big three requests that didn't get in and it would feel incomplete without our dude. Most people have been at it for a Decade now, us Geno fans have waited long enough.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Is erdrick's japanese name Lotto or Yuusha?I heard some people use both so i'm kinda confused
I think Yūsha is a loose translation of the word brave. Lotto might be the Hero's default name.

But since the only Dragon Quest related game I've ever played is Fortune Street, this is best left for someone who knows the series.

Eric2625

Smash Cadet
I think Yūsha is a loose translation of the word brave. Lotto might be the Hero's default name.

But since the only Dragon Quest related game I've ever played is Fortune Street, this is best left for someone who knows the series.
Ah i understand.Thanks for the info!

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure Yuusha is the translation for Brave which is an apparent class in DQ and Loto/Lotto is Erdrick's Japanese name.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I agree with that you're saying. I, too, don't want them to feel bad if Erdrick ends up being leakbait since we've all felt that feeling before, but that's why need to keep their expectations low, including us when it comes to Geno's chances. Just because big insiders are saying it's Erdrick doesn't mean it's automatically Erdrick; we can't forget that no insider knew Joker would be the first DLC character, and some got it because those were just guesses; some even thought the first DLC character would be a Square character, but they were wrong. Whenever we say to keep our expectations low, some will spew on us and say our character isn't happening. If it happens to them, well, we warned them. Nothing we can do about it. After what Polar and her NoA source has gone through with getting EVERYTHING right, both Smash and Nintendo related, I trust their word when they say "No one knows the DLC." I wasn't here when they said this, but Fatman mentioned that her source even knew about the Pokémon Direct. I think we all know who to trust here. Even if Polar leans more on Erdrick, I still trust her and her source.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I agree with that you're saying. I, too, don't want them to feel bad if Erdrick ends up being leakbait since we've all felt that feeling before, but that's why need to keep their expectations low, including us when it comes to Geno's chances. Just because big insiders are saying it's Erdrick doesn't mean it's automatically Erdrick; we can't forget that no insider knew Joker would be the first DLC character, and some got it because those were just guesses; some even thought the first DLC character would be a Square character, but they were wrong. Whenever we say to keep our expectations low, some will spew on us and say our character isn't happening. If it happens to them, well, we warned them. Nothing we can do about it. After what Polar and her NoA source has gone through with getting EVERYTHING right, both Smash and Nintendo related, I trust their word when they say "No one knows the DLC." I wasn't here when they said this, but Fatman mentioned that her source even knew about the Pokémon Direct. I think we all know who to trust here. Even if Polar leans more on Erdrick, I still trust her and her source.
I feel like when Reggie said that Joker was indicative of the DLC characters I actually think he meant "You'll never see them coming" in a way. Characters that most people wouldn't expect to make it.

That's kinda one reason why I don't believe in current leaks. Even if something lines up perfect, it could all be coincidence (Banner leak) or possibly leakbait. (Starfox Racing and possibly Metroid Prime Trilogy)

D

Deleted member

DO. NOT. EVER. GIVE. UP!
I'm curious if Nintendo referenced this for deciding DLC at all. Probably not given how it's about 20,000 votes out of the millions of sales Smash Ultimate obtained. It's accuracy might not be indicative. It's nice to see Geno still in the running, though, and makes me hopeful for the little guy. Definitely evidence that Geno has a following despite being a relatively obscure character.

(Plus Banjo hype. I wanna see how big of a lead Banjo got in that poll.)

All I can say is the jerks you can't keep civil discussions with are not the reference for a fanbase. If you spend time looking around internet discussions for Smash Bros, you'll always find those guys who are assholes over discussing outcomes. You're probably going to see them more than the people who are actually nice about it because the internet is a total drama island. I've met less than nice Geno fans off of Smashboards, but they shouldn't be the model for the Geno fanbase. Obviously, they are on the typical sites like Gamefaqs, YouTube, Twitter, etc. There are also jerk Sora fans and jerk Erdrick fans.

Erdrick's hype has definitely accelerated and became more vocal due to being topical, I wont deny that. I'll take it as a DQ fan but it really sucks to be a Geno fan at the moment, and that really sucks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In my case, I completely stopped thinking about who's coming next and just concern myself with how to pass the time, since nothing much is going to happen until the update hits.

Although for all we know the DQ character could be Jessica instead, I dunno.

D

Deleted member

In my case, I completely stopped thinking about who's coming next and just concern myself with how to pass the time, since nothing much is going to happen until the update hits.
This so much. Waiting for a character is not fun and all that time invested can crumble away when the character you wanted and/or expected isn't getting in. Just gotta pass the time.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I feel like when Reggie said that Joker was indicative of the DLC characters I actually think he meant "You'll never see them coming" in a way. Characters that most people wouldn't expect to make it.

That's kinda one reason why I don't believe in current leaks. Even if something lines up perfect, it could all be coincidence (Banner leak) or possibly leakbait. (Starfox Racing and possibly Metroid Prime Trilogy)
Yeah, they have to be unexpected. The "You'll never see them coming"-tier are characters like:
  • Master Chief
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • 2B
  • Lara Croft
  • Spyro
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Geno
  • Sora
  • Scorpion
  • Nathan Drake
  • Kratos
  • Duke Nukem
  • Doomguy
I see what you're saying. Erdrick has been wanted just recently and is the most likely 2nd SE rep, and we've been wanting Geno since Brawl, many others have been wanting him since Melee. I call that bad "restaurant" service; ignoring the order of your first customer and completing your second and third customer orders before your first customer? It's basically what they're doing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, they have to be unexpected. The "You'll never see them coming"-tier are characters like:
  • Master Chief
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • 2B
  • Lara Croft
  • Spyro
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Geno
  • Sora
  • Scorpion
  • Nathan Drake
  • Kratos
  • Duke Nukem
  • Doomguy

I see what you're saying. Erdrick has been wanted just recently and is the most likely 2nd SE rep, and we've been wanting Geno since Brawl, many others have been wanting him since Melee. I call that bad "restaurant" service; ignoring the order of your first customer and completing your second and third customer orders before your first customer? It's basically what they're doing.
You got my eternal respect for betting on the duke.

But yeah, that certainly fits the textbook definition of unexpected, since third parties in general seem like a pipe dream.

D

Deleted member

I really shouldn't get this excited but I'm working on my Speculation Piece and What I'm writing down actually makes sense and it even points towards Geno! I'm kinda getting excited now, The Square Seven fits within the Definition of Leakbait and both Namco & Nintendo both use Leakbait! Maybe Geno really does have a chance?

I can't wait to show my Speculation Piece here, though it's currently still a W.I.P

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
  • Master Chief
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • 2B
  • Lara Croft
  • Spyro
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Geno
  • Sora
  • Scorpion
  • Nathan Drake
  • Kratos
  • Duke Nukem
  • Doomguy

Ninten and Claus also kinda fit this category because something something "EarthBound isn't popular" something something "x character doesn't have a spirit" something something.

I just want at least one of them okay them and Geno have been my most wanted since I was like 14

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
You got my eternal respect for betting on the duke.

But yeah, that certainly fits the textbook definition of unexpected, since third parties in general seem like a pipe dream.
You're welcome, he is a gaming icon, after all. Most definitely with the third-parties because they're an unexpected surprise, a dog treat. Seeing a third-party in a Nintendo game is definitely mind-blowing, and it just shows which gaming company has always done their uniqueness the best for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom