• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Quick Question; I can't seem to find the posts from Insiders that claim Erdrick is coming with Alts for his Female Counterpart and Aluncia (I think that's how you spell it) Does anyone know where I could find such posts?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I do agree that it would be sad if Geno didn't get in though as he would be the only one left from the Big three requests that didn't get in and it would feel incomplete without our dude. Most people have been at it for a Decade now, us Geno fans have waited long enough.
I even thought Geno being as DLC would still feel odd since I thought the holy trinity (Ridley, King K. Rool, and Geno) would be base roster buddies, but him being DLC would put him in a weird position, but hey, as long as we got him it still counts. It still already feels incomplete without Geno as the 3rd most requested not in the game. 2/3 is incomplete, which is how it feels for me.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's nice to see speculation pointing in different directions than just Erdrick now, but I'm personally staying in my, "It's Erdrick," train. I definitely don't wanna get burned again, haha.

Even if Erdrick is in, though, I still think Geno has a chance. I'll never stop rooting for him!

D

Deleted member

I even thought Geno being as DLC would still feel odd since I thought the holy trinity (Ridley, King K. Rool, and Geno) would be base roster buddies, but him being DLC would put him in a weird position, but hey, as long as we got him it still counts. It still already feels incomplete without Geno as the 3rd most requested not in the game. 2/3 is incomplete, which is how it feels for me.
DLC would still feel slightly weird but at least it would still be within the Same Game unlike if Geno were to be in Smash 6, 7, 8, whenever he gets in. From my perspective it's still in the same game so it's fine.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Geno never really struck me as a type that would be a DLC newcomer. I feel that a DLC spot in Ultimate would be reserved for third party characters and/or promotional stunt characters (overlap between the two can exist).

On the topic of Erdrick, while I have a feeling that while I believe that he's in based on evidence we have seen, I don't think he'll be the next reveal should an April Smash direct come to fruition. The idea of the developers continuing to use Erdrick's supposed inclusion as a smokescreen to hide the other characters that are being worked on, whether he's actually in or not, seems quite plausible in my opinion.

You can expect leakers and insiders who puts their bets on Erdrick to be caught by the impending internet fireworks show should he not be revealed, especially if the reveal is a different Square-Enix character, like 2B, for instance.

In the case of a second challenger pack reveal, it could range from a usual Smash Bros. trailer (short CGI followed by a character splash screen and gameplay footage), to a trailer with none of those (like Joker's). If I were to deal with making another trailer for a truly unexpected character like Joker, I would go with the "Joker trailer" approach. That approach makes it difficult for leakers to catch wind of, especially if development for that character hasn't fully commenced just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the same situation with Joker's reveal happens again.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Geno never really struck me as a type that would be a DLC newcomer. I feel that a DLC spot in Ultimate would be reserved for third party characters and/or promotional stunt characters (overlap between the two can exist).
He always struck me that way, and the only reason why is because Square is stingy and loves money. Money is everything to Square, to the point that they don't really think with anything but that fat green. A lot of people thought his chances were huge for base roster, though (and heck, even with thinking he'd probably be DLC, I thought his chances were great for base), so I guess I'm in a minority, haha.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
He always struck me that way, and the only reason why is because Square is stingy and loves money. Money is everything to Square, to the point that they don't really think with anything but that fat green. A lot of people thought his chances were huge for base roster, though (and heck, even with thinking he'd probably be DLC, I thought his chances were great for base), so I guess I'm in a minority, haha.
Well if I were Square, I would pick a character from a franchise could easily be milked currently. That currently leaves Dragon Quest or Nier, especially as both continue to be milked (DQV movie being announced for the former and another mobile collaboration was announced for the latter).

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If Erdrick is in please Nintendo get it over with and confirm it sometime soon. Literally everywhere I go it's always "Erdrick Erdrick Erdrick Erdrick" like no matter what, he's always brought up and I'm completely burned out on talking about him. Anything can happen, I think his chances are there, and I don't want DQ fans to be disappointed, but I can't go anywhere without seeing that name lol.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
If Erdrick is in please Nintendo get it over with and confirm it sometime soon. Literally everywhere I go it's always "Erdrick Erdrick Erdrick Erdrick" like no matter what, he's always brought up and I'm completely burned out on talking about him. Anything can happen, I think his chances are there, and I don't want DQ fans to be disappointed, but I can't go anywhere without seeing that name lol.
Plot Twist: Nintendo and Square won't confirm it because Erdrick was never in development to begin with! :p

TheBeastHimself

Plot Twist: Nintendo and Square won't confirm it because Erdrick was never in development to begin with! :p
The only thing that annoys me is that some people act like he's already in and that there's like a 99.9% chance of it. I get leakers have credibility but the Smash community loves getting set up to be burned, as much as I hate to say it. So many legit looking leaks were fake. The main leakers of Ultimate have proved they can be wrong sometimes. And you're right, what if he's not even in Ultimate period??

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The only thing that annoys me is that some people act like he's already in and that there's like a 99.9% chance of it. I get leakers have credibility but the Smash community loves getting set up to be burned, as much as I hate to say it. So many legit looking leaks were fake. The main leakers of Ultimate have proved they can be wrong sometimes. And you're right, what if he's not even in Ultimate period??
Isn’t there a thing known as leakbait? Maybe certain characters are being used to oust leakers.

Not saying that’s the truth, just a possibility.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If a different DQ character(say Slime) is in, I expect Erdrick to show up in some way. Spirit, stage cameo, taunt/victory screen cameos, something. He's too important to DQ to leave out as is, imo.

D

Deleted member

Remember when Polar's NoA contact said that there's been rumors of Geno? Reggie is quitting very soon so Imagine if one of Reggie's final calls he pushed for Geno to be in Smash. Imagine if Reggie got Geno into Smash as his final call for Smash, that would be beautiful.

TheBeastHimself

Remember when Polar's NoA contact said that there's been rumors of Geno? Reggie is quitting very soon so Imagine if one of Reggie's final calls he pushed for Geno to be in Smash. Imagine if Reggie got Geno into Smash as his final call for Smash, that would be beautiful.
I'm expecting Reggie's final goodbye will be "lol here's mother 3" but if Geno was announced at the same time, it's over.

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting Reggie's final goodbye will be "lol here's mother 3" but if Geno was announced at the same time, it's over.
I mean Insiders said that Mother 3 was Cancelled so I could see Reggie instead pushing for Geno, as Politics and outrage culture could certainly find something to complain about within Mother 3 unlike Geno being in Smash there's nothing to complain about unless you wanted a different Square rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
anyone ever hear about that jeeno guy people keep asking for?
Hey, have you heard about that Mario guy?
"Him, you mean?"
Yeah, the one with the mushrooms.
"Yeah!"
You know, the one jumping around in the forest?
"Yeah, yeah! I know him, I know him!
Yes? Okay, hey check it out.

Square is stingy and loves money. Money is everything to Square, to the point that they don't really think with anything but that fat green.
This gave me a really good laugh.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Insiders aren’t even sure if the Mother 3 cancellation was even legit or not. With how little EB content has leaked in the past, I’m doubtful of any claim that says it’s cancelled especially if it was a while ago. With Nintendo outright stating how the N64 Classic was a no go, I feel like if such a project were truly cancelled, they would have actually said something about it by now.

Also wokewokewokest claim: Brave is Ninten cuz the Flying Men are a symbol of his Bravery, and they’re grouped in the Mother 1 section in the spirits list meaning they’re his. :p

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Speaking of Square-Enix, it apparently looks like their newest game Left Alive is going to be a critical and commercial bomb. I feel bad for them; with the exception of KH3, their major new games so far this year have been duds. They're probably going to have to double down on milking at this point, for better or worse.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Square-Enix, it apparently looks like their newest game Left Alive is going to be a critical and commercial bomb. I feel bad for them; with the exception of KH3, their major new games so far this year have been duds. They're probably going to have to double down on milking at this point, for better or worse.
More Square DLC incoming Y'all Geno is gonna get in Smash and so is Erdrick, Sora, Lara Croft, Septhiroth and Chrono.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
What?! Oh, thank goodness! Now Sony will show them the door— I mean, uh, poor Square. I hope they pull through... and head back to Nintendo!
What if Reggie did take the time to get Geno back for us and that was his final gift? That'd be awesome.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I think this is the first time I've ever even heard of Left Alive

*googles*

oh wait this looks familiar now. Evidently they're disabling streaming the game in Japan. I'm sure that's going over well with gamers!

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I think this is the first time I've ever even heard of Left Alive

*googles*

oh wait this looks familiar now. Evidently they're disabling streaming the game in Japan. I'm sure that's going over well with gamers!
Yep, it's definitely a good way to piss off your own community. Thank goodness Nintendo doesn't do this.

I think it's because Square doesn't want gameplay footage out since it's not fully released in the west just yet.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Complaints seem to be more about the game itself rather than Square-Enix blocking the streams, and were made prior to Square taking action.

Didn't this game get a major debut during an E3 conference?

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Well if I were Square, I would pick a character from a franchise could easily be milked currently. That currently leaves Dragon Quest or Nier, especially as both continue to be milked (DQV movie being announced for the former and another mobile collaboration was announced for the latter).
Hmm, it feels like you are forgetting about someone...one brown-spike-headed, supernatural-McGuffin-OP-skeleton-key-wielding, zipped-hoodie-wearing, magic-ripoff-casting, multi-franchise-surfin, metaphorical-heart-saving sunnava *****.

Seriously though, I've heard that not only is KH3 getting DLC for a hot minute, but that Nomura said that KH4 will begin production some time in 2020 once they are done with the DLC.

Huh, seems like Nomura and Square think that KH is big money time, possibly that Sora or at least KH is marketable right now...huh, what other big game is going on with DLC right now that KH could make an appearance in...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Had this crazy dream last night, went on a limo ride with Sakurai, Miyamoto, Miyamoto’s wife, somebody from NoA, and Trevor Noah for some reason. I got a lot of details about upcoming Smash DLC (that Dream!me wasn’t planning to share but whatever, it was just a dream).

Anyway Joker would release on March 30th, and we wouldn’t use his knife or guns, instead having his hands behind his back and his Personae would do all the work.

The second DLC character wasn’t told to me, but it was heavily implied to be Chun-Li. Then I also got told that Dan Hibiki and Bass would be bonus Echo Fighters.

Finally I was shown a demo of a new F-Zero.

If any of this pans out, you heard it here first!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Had this crazy dream last night, went on a limo ride with Sakurai, Miyamoto, Miyamoto’s wife, somebody from NoA, and Trevor Noah for some reason. I got a lot of details about upcoming Smash DLC (that Dream!me wasn’t planning to share but whatever, it was just a dream).

Anyway Joker would release on March 30th, and we wouldn’t use his knife or guns, instead having his hands behind his back and his Personae would do all the work.

The second DLC character wasn’t told to me, but it was heavily implied to be Chun-Li. Then I also got told that Dan Hibiki and Bass would be bonus Echo Fighters.

Finally I was shown a demo of a new F-Zero.

If any of this pans out, you heard it here first!
Sorry, man, but I'll only believe it if Luigi on the Gameboy says it.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they have to be unexpected. The "You'll never see them coming"-tier are characters like:
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Geno
  • Sora.
I would still keep my opinion about this, Geno and some other characters you note are "popular", and "popularity" can be a good reason why they are eventually chosen as game characters.

I think the more proper word for "never see them coming" is "unpredictable". For unpredictable cases, it can be that those characters and franchises are rarely mentioned or are not considered to have strong bonds with Nintendo so none of us ever wanted them. Of course if it does turn out that Erdrick of Banjo are in DLCs, I would say Reggie ate his words in this case.

Well I agree that Geno seems to be more a feasible candidate for base roster than DLC. Just NIntendo would never take care of that "holy trinity" meme we know that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Quick Question; I can't seem to find the posts from Insiders that claim Erdrick is coming with Alts for his Female Counterpart and Aluncia (I think that's how you spell it) Does anyone know where I could find such posts?
Last I heard it was Luminary and Anlucia. It's even more inconsistent than I thought!

They could start by porting the rest of the older major Final Fantasies. You know, the ones that actually were on Nintendo hardware? Surely they must still have the source code for those (VIII is still screwed, though). Most of the Dissidia cast wasn't pulled out of thin air.

What?! Oh, thank goodness! Now Sony will show them the door— I mean, uh, poor Square. I hope they pull through... and head back to Nintendo!
I mean, the Switch has sold like hotcakes for a year now, so...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom