• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Does anyone else feel like the smash momentum is slowing down? Like we've gotten to the point where we've talked about absolutely everything we could. Nothing new is coming out of the rumor mill when it used to be rather frequent. All we can really do now is sit and wait.
It makes sense; we've gone from waiting for an entire game's roster to be revealed to waiting for four DLC characters to be revealed, and at the rate that we're going at, we'll only be getting one reveal every two months or so. In terms of speculation, there's much less to work with.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Does anyone else feel like the smash momentum is slowing down? Like we've gotten to the point where we've talked about absolutely everything we could. Nothing new is coming out of the rumor mill when it used to be rather frequent. All we can really do now is sit and wait.
I just don't think it'll be exciting for anyone once we're waiting on the last DLC character who may crush dreams depending on if we get a second round of DLC.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It makes sense; we've gone from waiting for an entire game's roster to be revealed to waiting for four DLC characters to be revealed, and at the rate that we're going at, we'll only be getting one reveal every two months or so. In terms of speculation, there's much less to work with.
Yeah, things have certainly slowed down. At least pre Smash release there was still that natural hype and unknown factor for so many elements of the game. Now we are just waiting for DLC reveals. All we really have now are the communities we have formed here and other tangentially related topics.

Speaking of tangentially related topics, I just found out that a sequel to the Three Little Princesses fan comic had begun last year and I am rather enjoying it. A little bit of the SMRPG wish lore was put into it, so that's great to see.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Does anyone else regularly forget that Alph is a character in the game? It doesn't help that he's absent from the "everyone is here" banner, with Mr Saturn taking his place:laugh:. Lowkey wish I had the artistic skill to add poor old Alph into the banner myself...
I just wish Alph would be made into an Echo already. Poor guy deserves a better fate than Lemmy Koopa.

D

Deleted member

Things will pick itself back up again after update 3.0.0.:
  • Say we get a SE character. At that point, we can move onto discussing other possibilities for who might get in. After all, if we assume 1 SE character and 1 Microsoft character is in, that leaves us with the MS character and two completely unknown newcomers. If we don't get an SE character, that will make everybody reexamine what we know so far to make sure we have our facts straight.
  • Update 3.0.0 is coming. We're expected to get new content, which is evidence that new content goes beyond the already known Fighter Passes. That will spur discussions dramatically because we'll now be asking ourselves, "What else can they add for a potential 4.0.0 update?"
  • Update 3.0.0 is also a potential gold mine for data miners.
  • Characters are coming in a expected two month reveal schedule. That's enough time to go over more potential info. Our biggest issue so far was that our last reveal was Joker all the way back in early December and we never knew when the next character will be announced. The other newcomers wont be nearly as long of a wait after this direct and we'll have expectations for when they'll be revealed. It's four months versus the new two months.
  • Seeing Joker and his fighter pass content will finally set expectations for what's to expect for Fighter Passes. We can now discuss their possibilities with an actual frame of reference.
So really, the inevitable Smash direct is going to be big, not just because new Smash content, but because of the implications and effects.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yeah, things have certainly slowed down. At least pre Smash release there was still that natural hype and unknown factor for so many elements of the game. Now we are just waiting for DLC reveals. All we really have now are the communities we have formed here and other tangentially related topics.

Speaking of tangentially related topics, I just found out that a sequel to the Three Little Princesses fan comic had begun last year and I am rather enjoying it. A little bit of the SMRPG wish lore was put into it, so that's great to see.
I honestly just wish Nintendo would confirm whether or not we are getting a second Fighters Pass. I don't see how that could be a bad business decision, and at least it would end some of the tension within the Smash community. Because right now everyone is under the assumption that these next four characters are it until Smash 6, so a lot of people understandably have their panties in a bunch.

I just wish Alph would be made into an Echo already. Poor guy deserves a better fate than Lemmy Koopa.
A lot of my friends treat Alph as a joke because not a lot of people I know ever touch Olimar, and you wouldn't know Alph is even there unless you are changing Olimar's costume.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, do you guys think Nintendo would announce anything at Evo? Ultimate will be there after all.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, do you guys think Nintendo would announce anything at Evo? Ultimate will be there after all.
I honestly doubt it. Maybe they'll announce something small to hint towards whatever is in update 3.0.0 at the absolute best, or there will be nothing. I'd be willing to wager nothing, and if we're getting Erdrick, an announcement at the US's Evo competition makes no sense, considering the East isn't going to be laser-focused on it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly doubt it. Maybe they'll announce something small to hint towards whatever is in update 3.0.0 at the absolute best, or there will be nothing. I'd be willing to wager nothing, and if we're getting Erdrick, an announcement at the US's Evo competition makes no sense, considering the East isn't going to be laser-focused on it.
This so much. If lucky, an announcement of another direct could be possible. And that's already unlikely.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
They might since last EVO they announced a Smash Ultimate direct

Although I know what you mean, but you do realize that EVO is in August and 3.0.0 launches in April. We will most likely find out everything about 3.0.0 in April/late March as well.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
They might since last EVO they announced a Smash Ultimate direct

Although I know what you mean, but you do realize that EVO is in August and 3.0.0 launches in April. We will most likely find out everything about 3.0.0 in April/late March as well.
Oh, crap, why did I think EVO was that much sooner? Thanks for correcting me there. I totally got that wrong lmfao.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Oh, crap, why did I think EVO was that much sooner? Thanks for correcting me there. I totally got that wrong lmfao.
You're fine, I got EVO's date wrong last year. For some reason I thought EVO 2018 was being held the day after the game lineup was announced.

BoringName

Smash Rookie
Hi. I’m kinda new to smashboards and I’m in that awkward state where I don’t know what to say because I don’t wanna sound like an idiot.

Anyways. For my first question to all of you, if Geno got his own series where he was the main protagonist, what kind of game do you think it would be (genre, story, characters, etc).

I’d personally think that a 3rd person shooter sorta like Kid Icarus Uprising would be pretty cool

D

Deleted member

Hi. I’m kinda new to smashboards and I’m in that awkward state where I don’t know what to say because I don’t wanna sound like an idiot.

Anyways. For my first question to all of you, if Geno got his own series where he was the main protagonist, what kind of game do you think it would be (genre, story, characters, etc).

I’d personally think that a 3rd person shooter sorta like Kid Icarus Uprising would be pretty cool
I would like something like Cuphead or Metroid Zero Mission.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

God, imagine a Kid Icarus: Uprising-like game with Rosalina, whether she's his higher authority, adoptive mother, or whatever, guiding him and those two having banter a la Pit and Palutena.

I need this.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

A hack and slash that ironically focuses less on hacking and slashing and more on magical artillery and laser beams. I love me some flashy combat.
God, imagine a Kid Icarus: Uprising-like game with Rosalina, whether she's his higher authority, adoptive mother, or whatever, guiding him and those two having banter a la Pit and Palutena.

I need this.
I do wonder how that dynamic would work. Don't know how funny Rosalina would be compared to Palutena though.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Fun fact, they did technically announce something last Evo. You remember the Direct that dropped Simon and K. Rool? That Direct was announced at Evo after the finals of either Smash 4 or Melee. It wasn't an immediate reveal, but it was something for Ultimate.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Fun fact, they did technically announce something last Evo. You remember the Direct that dropped Simon and K. Rool? That Direct was announced at Evo after the finals of either Smash 4 or Melee. It wasn't an immediate reveal, but it was something for Ultimate.
Huh, the Direct that dropped K. Rool, one of my most-wanteds...

Maybe they'll do that again for me and give me Geno or Banjo? :4pacman:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe in this case they'll explicitly say there will be a Smash Direct coming, like last time. Assuming anything happens at the end, that is.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder how Rosalina and Kamek would interact with each other. They are both magical parents after all.

D

Deleted member

Hello Genobros, I've been less active lately, but I just wanted to let y'all know that you are awesome and I will always support our boy :)

BoringName

Smash Rookie
You know, I wonder how Rosalina and Kamek would interact with each other. They are both magical parents after all.
They would probably get into a lot of arguments about parenting and how the other isn’t raising their children right.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They would probably get into a lot of arguments about parenting and how the other isn’t raising their children right.
Totally, especially since baby Bowser was so spoiled and pushed Kamek around a lot. Funny and kinda heartwarming though, Bowser does seem to appreciate and care for Kamek a lot more than he did as a baby. You could even argue that Kamek is arguably closer to Bowser than Rosalina is to most of her Luma's.

Man, now I want to see this dynamic in an actual Mario game. And we all know that it will likely never happen.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well it's hard to get excited for Smash Bros Ultimate's future when you know what characters aren't getting in as DLC. We know Krystal, Bomberman, Akira, Isaac, Shadow, Zero, Shovel Knight, Ashley, Takamaru, Waluigi, Black Knight, Starfy, Skull Kid, Lyn, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Dixie Kong, Lip, Saki, Rex & Pyra, and the whole ARMS series aren't gonna be one of the 4 remaining DLC characters, so I really don't look forward to news about Ulimate now. Especially when all the DLC are gonna be third party what we really can't speculate or hope for since it could be anyone. I feel like a good way to reinvigorate the hype if we can Echo Fighter DLC, I would love for Shadow Echo Fighter DLC so it can smash the rule that Assist can't get upgraded through DLC (though most likely won't happen, we'll probably get a Shadow Mii Costume which is just gross).

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Replaying SMRPG right now in the hopes that doing so will alter probability and force Geno into Smash.

That and to test out my new Retron HD.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well it's hard to get excited for Smash Bros Ultimate's future when you know what characters aren't getting in as DLC. We know Krystal, Bomberman, Akira, Isaac, Shadow, Zero, Shovel Knight, Ashley, Takamaru, Waluigi, Black Knight, Starfy, Skull Kid, Lyn, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Dixie Kong, Lip, Saki, Rex & Pyra, and the whole ARMS series aren't gonna be one of the 4 remaining DLC characters, so I really don't look forward to news about Ulimate now. Especially when all the DLC are gonna be third party what we really can't speculate or hope for since it could be anyone. I feel like a good way to reinvigorate the hype if we can Echo Fighter DLC, I would love for Shadow Echo Fighter DLC so it can smash the rule that Assist can't get upgraded through DLC (though most likely won't happen, we'll probably get a Shadow Mii Costume which is just gross).
Yeah, a lot of hype has been killed for a lot of people because of all of these deconfirmations + soft deconfirmations with spirits. I think that promoting a spirit or an AT would really reinvigorate that hype and give people hope again. Will it happen in the Fighter's Pass, though? 99% sure it won't. It'd be either through misc. DLC or future seasons, both of which are very uncertain.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The only things I see reinvigorating speculation is Sakurai announcing that there will be more DLC beyond the fighter's pass, or the next DLC character being something really unexpected and not on any leak. Bonus points if said unexpected character was a character that was "deconfirmed" in some way, whther it be a spirit or, heaven forbid, assist trophy (not expecting this to happen, not for the fighter's pass atleast, but a man can dream)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Yep, I feel it. We really did juice the hell out of everything we could, but it was a blast. All the speculation is complete and whenever people speculate with their own characters they want, unfortunately there's going to be hate thrown at them; it sucks knowing if spirits disconfirm or not. All I do in Ultimate now is just play locally or in Battle Arenas, and I got tired of Quickplay because I end up getting sweaty, go up and down in SGP, and I've grown bored of it. I miss the June-August era of Ultimate, where the stuff was really good and we were expecting more; back when the E3 Smash Ultimate demo was out at conventions, which is when Ultimate's Battlefield soundtrack actually sounded good... one day, I hope someone rips the original Battlefield soundtrack from the demo. Yeah, it really sucks to know that we've basically completed everything and all we can do is wait for more. I can't wait for 3.0, but hopefully we get something like Home-Run Contest, Stage Builder, or some events. I really hope they bring back the cracker launcher... gosh, I loved that thing, even if it was hard to aim and control. lol

D

Deleted member

The only things I see reinvigorating speculation is Sakurai announcing that there will be more DLC beyond the fighter's pass, or the next DLC character being something really unexpected and not on any leak. Bonus points if said unexpected character was a character that was "deconfirmed" in some way, whther it be a spirit or, heaven forbid, assist trophy (not expecting this to happen, not for the fighter's pass atleast, but a man can dream)
inb4 the next Character is Isaac

Sadly that won't happen but by gosh that would certainly reinvigorate Speculation.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

An hub world game that takes place in space, works like Super Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Odyssey, and the controls work like Kingdom Hearts. I agree, a "Kid Icarus: Uprising" type game for Geno would also be pretty sick. It would also be pretty cool if Geno made a cameo in a movie. Remember that Geno did make it in a Transformers comic one time as a cameo, so I could see him being a cameo in something like Toy Story if he was easy to get the rights to.

What if Geno served White? lol
He'd be all white and under mind control.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I just don't think it'll be exciting for anyone once we're waiting on the last DLC character who may crush dreams depending on if we get a second round of DLC.
My concern is, if that's true, I feel like the first group of DLCs would also show some pattern about that. It's been discussed nurmorous times about whether Geno fits in a DLC slot in commcercial view or fanservice view. If NIntendo tend to pick good collaborations with more 3rd parties than any old Nintendo character, a second round might not ensure better chance for him.

I personally think what they said about "unexpected" is purely some video game characters that are popular and notable, just rarely mentioned in the Smash bros fanbase. Some of the "popular" character, unfortuantely including Geno here, might not be the really "unexpected" ones since it would be predictable to see those popular characters happen.

Spirits or trophies somehow mean that NIntendo still remember those characters, so they still belong to the "more predictable group.".

Replaying SMRPG right now in the hopes that doing so will alter probability and force Geno into Smash.
Wel... or asking for a new Paper Mario game wiith Geno in?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, it's not a particularly bad idea. I mastered Ice Climber on Retroachievements shortly before the Icies were confirmed to come back with everyone.

On the other hand, playing Rayman Legends hasn't done anything beyond spirits so far.

My biggest wish in the last Smash Direct was for DLC content (which came at an uncertain time, when most people gave up on seeing DLC arrive to a game that seemed to already be packed), so I hope that lightning will strike twice in that regard once the last pass character is unveiled.

I am currently banking on a character that barely anyone ever saw coming, at least it won't be too long before we see whether that happens.

Yep, I feel it. We really did juice the hell out of everything we could, but it was a blast. All the speculation is complete and whenever people speculate with their own characters they want, unfortunately there's going to be hate thrown at them; it sucks knowing if spirits disconfirm or not. All I do in Ultimate now is just play locally or in Battle Arenas, and I got tired of Quickplay because I end up getting sweaty, go up and down in SGP, and I've grown bored of it. I miss the June-August era of Ultimate, where the stuff was really good and we were expecting more; back when the E3 Smash Ultimate demo was out at conventions, which is when Ultimate's Battlefield soundtrack actually sounded good... one day, I hope someone rips the original Battlefield soundtrack from the demo. Yeah, it really sucks to know that we've basically completed everything and all we can do is wait for more. I can't wait for 3.0, but hopefully we get something like Home-Run Contest, Stage Builder, or some events. I really hope they bring back the cracker launcher... gosh, I loved that thing, even if it was hard to aim and control. lol

Lucky for me I haven't been able to get around to acquiring a Switch yet, so I'll be quite busy once that day comes.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Alrighty guys, this is the last hurdle we better make a good case for if we’re gonna win over the skeptical and pessimistic fans. Reggie did state at the game awards last year that the new smash dlc characters would be ones that have never been in the series before, so a lot of fans claim that deconfirms not only AT but spirits as well. They say only character with absolutely no representation of any kind of content have their chance to make it in. What should be our counter argument to this, as I may have gotten a little backlash last time I competed.

D

Deleted member

Reggie did state at the game awards last year that the new smash dlc characters would be ones that have never been in the series before
He said characters that are new to the series, not characters that have never been in smash before

BoringName

Smash Rookie
Basically, newcomers.

This misinformation will never end until that damned second pass character gets revealed.
I really hope that’s what Reggie meant since it means spirits don’t deconfirm. However, I don’t get why he would need to say that if the whole thing for smash ultimate is that everyone is here, so it wouldn’t be possible to get returning fighters as dlc anyways. Unless that was exactly what he was saying and was just telling people that they don’t have to worry about returning characters in the fighter pass

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really hope that’s what Reggie meant since it means spirits don’t deconfirm. However, I don’t get why he would need to say that if the whole thing for smash ultimate is that everyone is here, so it wouldn’t be possible to get returning fighters as dlc anyways. Unless that was exactly what he was saying and was just telling people that they don’t have to worry about returning characters in the fighter pass
I think it's just to specify that "veterans are already in, from now on it's all new!".

But he is retiring after Joker details are presumably out, so it's a moot point. :ohwell:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think it's just to specify that "veterans are already in, from now on it's all new!".

But he is retiring after Joker details are presumably out, so it's a moot point. :ohwell:
It makes me wonder if Bowser is going to make any statements on the DLC and what might be happening.

... Hmm.

Crap, uh.

I think Bowser is going to be the second, third, fourth, and fifth DLC fighter.

No one new. It's just Bowser. It's his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom