• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
So, here's what we know of the "higher authorities" of the Mario universe:

1. Geno's Higher Authority. They manage the Star Road (which grants wishes), and Geno is an agent of their civilization. They are fully aware of Smithy and his inter-dimensional gang of living weaponry and planetary conquerors. (Space is rather vast, but it would be interesting to know if Rosalina ever encountered Exor as she traveled the cosmos on her Comet Observatory. Would be a fascinating incident, though quite troublesome on Rosalina's part.) Geno, again being an agent of this civilization, intentionally withheld information on them from Mario, Bowser, Peach and Mallow. Take note that three of these—Peach, Bowser, and Mallow—are all primary royals of specific kingdoms. Mallow is literally the prince of the sky, his kingdom is closest to the Star Road, and Bowser's Kingdom is directly under the Star Road and is the target of Smithy's invasion force.

Geno is the only star being whose association is hush-hush, as if it's far beyond confidential to speak about with the planet dwellers/non-star beings.

2. The Star Spirits. They watch over the Star Rod from their place in Star Haven, and also grant wishes themselves. Each Star Spirit, in tandem, can all grant wishes, but the Star Rod by itself can grant any wish of its wielder. The Star Haven is located up in the atmosphere like the Star Road is. Mario actually gets to visit Star Haven and even gets to learn a lot about the Star Spirits, as they make a point to speak with Mario as candidly as possible. Nothing is confidential for them and any and all information they can share with Mario proves to be to their benefit. A thing to note, however, is that as of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, the canon for Paper Mario and Super Mario has been divided. Which makes the existence of the Star Spirits, Star Haven, and the Star Rod to be exclusively in the Paper Mario world... until you play Mario Party 5, which takes place in the Super Mario world, and the Star Spirits (the exact ones from Paper Mario) were the hosts of the Party. Thus, the Star Spirits are proven to exist simultaneously in both the Paper Mario world and the Super Mario world.

3. The Star Sprites. Starlow is one of these beings, and they are the group that sealed away the Dark Star. This is really all that's known about them. It's not even mentioned if they can grant wishes or not or what sort of an authority they are in comparison to the other Star being associations. But they're mentioned by name, an image of them sealing the Dark Star is shown, and Starlow is a prominent (and a somewhat overused) member of their society.

Now, I do not think it needs to be mentioned but I will mention it just in case: Princess Rosalina is not a higher authority like these three listed here (if the Star Sprites even count as a higher authority). She's merely a space nomad whom adopts Lumas. If Geno and Rosalina were ever to meet, he'd likely treat her with the same respect he gave Peach, Mallow, and Bowser, but wouldn't refer to her in any sort of authoritative manner. She's just another person living in their universe.

None of these higher authorities seem to have anything to do with each other, unless Geno's higher authority was revealed to be either the Star Spirits or Star Sprites all along, but it would contradict the story told to us in M&L:BIS, PM64, and SMRPG. The Star Spirits do not manage the Star Road that Geno had to reconstruct. The Star Sprites only sealed away the Dark Star, and Starlow herself has "star power" but its not clarified in its function.

TL;DR: the Mario series has a confusing and overly complicated Cosmic Pantheon that needs to get their stories straight. This doesn't even cover all the individual star beings that pop-up here and there like the Millennium Star from Mario Party 3, whom has apparently the authority to declare the undisputed "Superstar of the Universe." It may not mean much, but Geno is technically the first Star being Mario ever encountered and thus set the bar pretty high for what we expect of agents like him.
Here's my headcanon for Geno:

Geno comes from a family with 48 brothers and 36 sisters.
The higher authority is the Light Star, the Dark Star's counterpart.
Geno's star form is 6" / Geno's doll is 4'7½" in its human sized form.
Geno was in Super Mario World at Star Road.
Geno is named after Eugene Cyril Smith, a quarterback of the Chargers.
It's crazy to look back and see all of the characters I was originally super hyped for when they were revealed and shown off.

:ultmetaknight::ultwario::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultolimar::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultganondorf::ultkrool:

OoT Ganon returning with a sword feels like a newcomer to me don't @ me
I agree, Ganon feels new! To me, Ganon feels like a character with a new moveset now. This reminds me of that time in Smash Kingdom where Wolf makes a comeback about deep-voiced Ganondorf forgetting his sword. Poor Ganon, it seems like he misplaced his sword or forgot to get it again two times.
Another question to cure my boredom. Which of your previously most wanted characters made the cut from Brawl onwards?
Brawl: :ultsonic:
Smash 3DS/Wii U: :ultmegaman: THE SUPER-FIGHTING ROBOT!
Ultimate: :ultkrool::ultsimon::ultken:
Made even more art last night! The idea was stuck in my head after the conversations here, so I had to get it out.
This "higher authority" he speaks of... I think I might know who Geno serves...
Other than that, AWESOME DRAWING! I feel like I might use this as my profile picture in the future, which is why I'm going to ask first. Will it be okay? :)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This "higher authority" he speaks of... I think I might know who Geno serves...
Other than that, AWESOME DRAWING! I feel like I might use this as my profile picture in the future, which is why I'm going to ask first. Will it be okay? :)
You know full well that he'd serve Pink Diamond because they're both absolute dorks.

Also, sure, you're totally free to!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Smashboards has been a bit more quite from my perspective. Even compared to other periods of time where there was Smash news. So, naturally, I have a hypothetical question for you all because of that. Say Geno came back to the Mario series, but he had to posses a different object than the doll we are familiar with for his first new game. What would you want that object to be?

D

Deleted member

Smashboards has been a bit more quite from my perspective. Even compared to other periods of time where there was Smash news. So, naturally, I have a hypothetical question for you all because of that. Say Geno came back to the Mario series, but he had to posses a different object than the doll we are familiar with for his first new game. What would you want that object to be?
A well written character :4pacman:

But seriously, there are two attributes that I affiliate with Geno immediately.
1) He has a loaded arsenal that turns a harmless object into a military secret weapon. I'm fairly certain the original Geno doll did not possess lasers, star beams, and the ability to transform into an active cannon. I don't even know why the Geno Whirl can insta-kill, but it can do it apparently.
2) He's incredibly viable. His speed, coverage, efficiency, and power made him a permanent member once I got the Geno Blast.

Design wise, I really do like how he's just a woodshop doll that's turned into a sentient robot. If ♥♪!? took over another object, I'd like it to be something of a similar caliber to where I'm seeing a crazy amalgamation of weaponry from something normally mundane. Ideally, something that resembled a human. Theoretically, he could just take over a different doll.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
A well written character :4pacman:

But seriously, there are two attributes that I affiliate with Geno immediately.
1) He has a loaded arsenal that turns a harmless object into a military secret weapon. I'm fairly certain the original Geno doll did not possess lasers, star beams, and the ability to transform into an active cannon. I don't even know why the Geno Whirl can insta-kill, but it can do it apparently.
2) He's incredibly viable. His speed, coverage, efficiency, and power made him a permanent member once I got the Geno Blast.

Design wise, I really do like how he's just a woodshop doll that's turned into a sentient robot. If ♥♪!? took over another object, I'd like it to be something of a similar caliber to where I'm seeing a crazy amalgamation of weaponry from something normally mundane. Ideally, something that resembled a human. Theoretically, he could just take over a different doll.
So, you know how in the moment where even explains how he ended up in theMushroom Kingdom, he states that he chose the Geno doll over the Peach, Mario, or Bowser dolls because the Geno doll looked the toughest? Well, that wasn't a sleight against Mario, Peach, or Bowser.

Of the four dolls, the Geno doll was legitimately a dangerous weapon. It already had the rocket punch function built-in... which knocked Mario out in one hit. That doll was no joke. So Geno picked the doll BECAUSE the doll was naturally powerful. It wasn't just the star being that made it so strong. The vessel was quite tough to begin with.

D

Deleted member

So, you know how in the moment where even explains how he ended up in theMushroom Kingdom, he states that he chose the Geno doll over the Peach, Mario, or Bowser dolls because the Geno doll looked the toughest? Well, that wasn't a sleight against Mario, Peach, or Bowser.

Of the four dolls, the Geno doll was legitimately a dangerous weapon. It already had the rocket punch function built-in... which knocked Mario out in one hit. That doll was no joke. So Geno picked the doll BECAUSE the doll was naturally powerful. It wasn't just the star being that made it so strong. The vessel was quite tough to begin with.
True. The Geno doll is introduced as a safety hazard for children. Not sure how intentionally dangerous it's supposed to be because we only see the rocket arms. It could just be a stupidly dangerous toy like BB guns.

How actually powerful it is is largely up to interpretation though. I'm only going off of what I've seen from playing with Mario. I can't believe that doll has the ability to fire lasers, cannon shots, star beams from the sky, and lethal chakrams. Pretty sure the kid would have burned his house down or have missing fingers if the doll could do all of that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
*Ahem*

"Those who prefer isolation are not alone" - Some edgy manga quote
To be fair, he has come down with a severe sever case of deaded.
Along with that,
The REAL Millennium Star is nowhere to be seen either.

But god, that is amazing. I love Gigi's work.
That is fair.
I don't know much of what Gigi does nowadays, but I fondly recall there Persona and Metal Gear comics they made back in the day.

D

Deleted member

But how would he drink tea? After all, his normal form is just a little ball light.
How does a doll biologically drink tea?

These are the real questions my country should be asking.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How does a doll biologically drink tea?

These are the real questions my country should be asking.
How does it biologically consume mushrooms and drinks?

My current theory is that Geno somehow converts it into some sort of fuel.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
How does it biologically consume mushrooms and drinks?

My current theory is that Geno somehow converts it into some sort of fuel.
My theory is, being a star, he is able to break it down into simply energy. With that, he can use it as a buff or just... to satiate hunger. Lumas love star bits, after all, and their little star tummies have to be able to convert that stuff in a similar way, probably.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My theory is, being a star, he is able to break it down into simply energy. With that, he can use it as a buff or just... to satiate hunger. Lumas love star bits, after all, and their little star tummies have to be able to convert that stuff in a similar way, probably.
That would make sense, though we do know that Hungry Luma's use that energy to become planets or galaxies. Maybe Luma's just store energy all throughout their life till it is time for the final push after becoming a Hungry Luma. Would explain why they get a mouth.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I could see a scenario where a new Mario RPG like game comes out and you have Geno as his star spirit form and you have to help him find the doll he once possessed.

Twist, you don't know the Spirit is Geno until you find the doll. Then he is able to talk with you and catch up.

EDIT: So I would like to see many objects for 'Geno' to posses. The catch, these objects do not have a mouth to speak. Until you get the Geno Doll.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I could see a scenario where a new Mario RPG like game comes out and you have Geno as his star spirit form and you have to help him find the doll he once possessed.

Twist, you don't know the Spirit is Geno until you find the doll. Then he is able to talk with you and catch up.

EDIT: So I would like to see many objects for 'Geno' to posses. The catch, these objects do not have a mouth to speak. Until you get the Geno Doll.
Oh man, a mechanic reminiscent of Cappy via Geno in a Mario RPG would be sick, and I love the idea of him looking for the doll.

Here's a neat scenario. What if Gaz has grown, even if only a smidgen, since SMRPG and has since outgrown his love for the old Geno doll? Our star spirit pal doesn't know where it is, for Gaz has since gotten rid of it. He's been sent down on a mission, perhaps. or he's simply nostalgic and has time to be away from Star Road, so he wants to catch up. Then, of course, Mario & Luigi are facing a threat (shared or not), he helps them out of kindness and a desire to reconnect with an old friend, they help find the Geno doll, and... yeah.

Something like that would be amazing, even better yet if there's a post-game side quest involving Geno afterward. Big bonus points if it included Mallow, too.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Oh man, a mechanic reminiscent of Cappy via Geno in a Mario RPG would be sick, and I love the idea of him looking for the doll.

Here's a neat scenario. What if Gaz has grown, even if only a smidgen, since SMRPG and has since outgrown his love for the old Geno doll? Our star spirit pal doesn't know where it is, for Gaz has since gotten rid of it. He's been sent down on a mission, perhaps. or he's simply nostalgic and has time to be away from Star Road, so he wants to catch up. Then, of course, Mario & Luigi are facing a threat (shared or not), he helps them out of kindness and a desire to reconnect with an old friend, they help find the Geno doll, and... yeah.

Something like that would be amazing, even better yet if there's a post-game side quest involving Geno afterward. Big bonus points if it included Mallow, too.
Guess who has the doll....

MALLOW for sympathetic reasons. Then it's just a big reunion from there.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Look what I found on Twitter! I don't think a single Mario star character was left out of this party.
*Ahem*
"Those who prefer isolation are not alone" - Some edgy manga quote
Amazing, it looks like it actually came from Super Mario Galaxy. They did forget the elder star sprites from Bowser's Inside Story, the ones that sealed the Dark Star. As for the bad ones, they forgot Ztar, the black star from Mario Party. Oh yeah, the Angry Sun isn't here either. But who cares?! This is still awesome!
I don't see that happening if he comes back and takes another form. When or if Geno comes back, I think he'll just stick with being in his original doll form; Gaz will understand. When Geno exits the doll, it's actually a little bit bigger than it was when he possessed it at first, kinda weird that it never went back to its original size, but I thought it meant he would come back and return. Gaz will realize the Geno doll is too big for him to play with and he probably won't want it anymore, so he just keeps it stowed away hoping for Geno to return to his doll. Geno is perfect in the Geno doll, but if he were to take another form my guess is he'd probably possess something like a Whittle (a wood alien from SMG2). I still think Geno could've worked in Odyssey as something able to possess and use for obstacles and a boss, and this would take place in the Wooded Kingdom.

You know full well that he'd serve Pink Diamond because they're both absolute dorks.

Also, sure, you're totally free to!
He'd definitely serve Pink or Blue. And thank you! :)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Guess who has the doll....

MALLOW for sympathetic reasons. Then it's just a big reunion from there.
Okay, what the heck, someone needs to make a huge fan game project of this. Like, seriously, if anyone did that, I'd HAPPILY provide art for it.

This is just too good. Maybe a Superstar Saga hack? A from-scratch game? Whatever the case, I'd love this, and heck if Square cares enough about Geno and Mallow to do anything with them, haha. Where my programmers at?!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Amazing, it looks like it actually came from Super Mario Galaxy. They did forget the elder star sprites from Bowser's Inside Story, the ones that sealed the Dark Star. As for the bad ones, they forgot Ztar, the black star from Mario Party. Oh yeah, the Angry Sun isn't here either. But who cares?! This is still awesome!

I don't see that happening if he comes back and takes another form. When or if Geno comes back, I think he'll just stick with being in his original doll form; Gaz will understand. When Geno exits the doll, it's actually a little bit bigger than it was when he possessed it at first, kinda weird that it never went back to its original size, but I thought it meant he would come back and return. Gaz will realize the Geno doll is too big for him to play with and he probably won't want it anymore, so he just keeps it stowed away hoping for Geno to return to his doll. Geno is perfect in the Geno doll, but if he were to take another form my guess is he'd probably possess something like a Whittle (a wood alien from SMG2). I still think Geno could've worked in Odyssey as something able to possess and use for obstacles and a boss, and this would take place in the Wooded Kingdom.

He'd definitely serve Pink or Blue. And thank you! :)
What if Geno served White? lol

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else regularly forget that Alph is a character in the game? It doesn't help that he's absent from the "everyone is here" banner, with Mr Saturn taking his place:laugh:. Lowkey wish I had the artistic skill to add poor old Alph into the banner myself...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does anyone else regularly forget that Alph is a character in the game? It doesn't help that he's absent from the "everyone is here" banner, with Mr Saturn taking his place:laugh:. Lowkey wish I had the artistic skill to add poor old Alph into the banner myself...
I don't. But mostly cause I see him as a reasonable alternate costume like the Koopalings. He's my default skin too. I do wish Ultimate had that option. I'd love to default to Pikmin & Alph on average. >.<

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't. But mostly cause I see him as a reasonable alternate costume like the Koopalings. He's my default skin too. I do wish Ultimate had that option. I'd love to default to Pikmin & Alph on average. >.<
Same, I'd so default to Wendy Koopa if I had the option, to have just... favored alternate costumes. I know it's applicable for amiibo and all, but it'd be nice to have outside of amiibo for non-custom characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Same, I'd so default to Wendy Koopa if I had the option, to have just... favored alternate costumes. I know it's applicable for amiibo and all, but it'd be nice to have outside of amiibo for non-custom characters.
I'd love amiibo of Alph and the Koopalings too. And Wireframe Mac, yeah.

Wendy's my default too~

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
A little option to customise which alts are defaulted would be sweet. While I don't care, some of my Fire Emblem loving mates wish male Corrin wasn't the default Corrin.

Edit: Also Koopalings and Alph amiibos would be strong.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A little option to customise which alts are defaulted would be sweet. While I don't care, some of my Fire Emblem loving mates wish male Corrin wasn't the default Corrin.
I am pretty sure more than just the FE fans wish that male Corrin was not the default. Seriously, it's not even a contest.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
It'd be really nice to have my blue ROB and purple Ken as defaults so I don't have to play the guessing game every time they haven't loaded yet.

also I want Cloud's AC alts to all be locked in a safe guarded by 7 King K. Rools

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
It'd be really nice to have my blue ROB and purple Ken as defaults so I don't have to play the guessing game every time they haven't loaded yet.

also I want Cloud's AC alts to all be locked in a safe guarded by 7 King K. Rools
I've literally got K Rool's black alt and Spiky-eared Pichu's alt on muscle memory now. Gotta go fast.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At least they brought back older amiibos, that's a start. Also, got the Icies yesterday, woo.
I just need the Mii Fighters and the new Smash characters now. I got one version of Isabelle and Daisy, soooooooo...

Also, small pet peeve. amiibo is both undercase letters and the plural doesn't have an s. It's like with Pokemon or any actual named Pokemon, as they don't get an s added. It's a grammar thing for me, really. >.>

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just need the Mii Fighters and the new Smash characters now. I got one version of Isabelle and Daisy, soooooooo...

Also, small pet peeve. amiibo is both undercase letters and the plural doesn't have an s. It's like with Pokemon or any actual named Pokemon, as they don't get an s added. It's a grammar thing for me, really. >.>
As far as immediate backlog goes, I do hope they put the Luigi ones back into circulation, seeing as I've noticed Cloud and Lucina ones, recently.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Does anyone else feel like the smash momentum is slowing down? Like we've gotten to the point where we've talked about absolutely everything we could. Nothing new is coming out of the rumor mill when it used to be rather frequent. All we can really do now is sit and wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom