• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
DON'T YOU SEE, YOU FOOL?! THE COMPANIES ARE PUSHING FOR THEIR SHILL PICK TO DISCREDIT US GENO FANS. IT IS A CONSPIRACY THE LIKES OF MKULTRA CANNOT HOPE TO ATTAIN. #FREEGENO /s

Proof of this would help, amigo.
How can I provide proof of a decision they didn't make? That's expecting a bit much of me. Am I supposed to travel into the alternate universe where Nintendo said that instead and report the reaction?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What reason did they have to tell the truth either?
To maintain trust with their consumers, duh. Reggie is the prime example of being as genuine with PR as possible. He's never really lied. He gets us hyped, and has never really steered as the wrong way so long as he can help it.
Telling people that they weren't able to get a character people really wanted would be a REALLY bad move.
No....it really wouldn't. With the question that was asked of them, they could've easily said that it's been a struggle and some characters they asked for, they couldn't get. Sakurai himself has even gone on record to say regarding the base roster that h had to twist some arms to get folks in.

They're not stupid enough to blantantly lie on something like this, becuase it's pointless. Never mind the fact that they don't even need to mention if it's a character people really wanted anyway. They don't have to be that specific.

Just a bit of PR-101 for you.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Boy, I hope the last few pages of this thread don't get an episode of Flame War Theatre based off of them.

I'm not exactly excited about Erdrick, but there are bigger things to worry about in my life right now. I'm waiting until the end of the Fighter's Pass to see if it's worth investing in. We still have 3 more characters to find out about. Geno isn't out until he's out. If he is, we try, try again. That's all there is to it.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
How can I provide proof of a decision they didn't make? That's expecting a bit much of me. Am I supposed to travel into the alternate universe where Nintendo said that instead and report the reaction?
You're doing my nut in, bud. Claiming Nintendo have been shot down before then saying how can i give proof when you have none is ridiculous. STOP DIGGING YOURSELF DEEPER, SHOVEL KNIGHT.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Flame War Theatre
What's that?
Burden of proof is on you with that ridiculous positive claim that they're lying to us in a move that defies common sense in the business industry here.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Boy, I hope the last few pages of this thread don't get an episode of Flame War Theatre based off of them.

I'm not exactly excited about Erdrick, but there are bigger things to worry about in my life right now. I'm waiting until the end of the Fighter's Pass to see if it's worth investing in. We still have 3 more characters to find out about. Geno isn't out until he's out. If he is, we try, try again. That's all there is to it.
QFT - This should be people's reactions to this "supposed leak" - Im waiting for official announcements. Not some data mining that CAN be altered in the next patch to throw people off. :) If it is what it is then fine! But we got 3 more DLC to go to ;D. Why cant people be happy and lets continue to talk about Geno! :D

link2702

Smash Champion
Not confirmed 100%. But looking pretty likely. A ton of people have heard his name. Including notably Tansut who seemed to know about Cloud back in Smash 4. And now there's info in the data that supports the Erdrick in Smash claim.
What specifically in the data?

I still feel that no one should go into panic mode, as like you said, nothing is 100%

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Because YOU'RE the one making these ridiculous claims. So you should at least provide reasoning.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
People, take a breath. Let's not give in and become that fandom that everyone hates.

Let's be realistic in that most likely the writing is on the wall. We can only hope if enough positive attention regarding Geno, heck, even all of Mario RPG will be on Nintendo's and Square's radar.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
People, take a breath. Let's not give in and become that fandom that everyone hates.

Let's be realistic in that most likely the writing is on the wall. We can only hope if enough positive attention regarding Geno, heck, even all of Mario RPG will be on Nintendo's and Square's radar.
Well it's not a fanbase issue, the problem is just that some people are making ridiculous claims about how Nintendo handled the DLC.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
What specifically in the data?

I still feel that no one should go into panic mode, as like you said, nothing is 100%
There's essentially code names for DLC characters that were found.
-Packu, which is Piranaha Plant
-Jack, which likely is Joker
-Brave, which is heavily believed to be Erdrick for a couple reasons. In Dragon Quest, the hero class is named Yashuu in Japan. Translating that to English specifically brings up the word Brave.

As I said it's nothing super definitive and Barve could be taken in many ways, but this definitely supports Erdrick more than it doesn't. Which is why some are pretty much believing it's him.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We do have a spirit of Geno tho, one of the very select few to be gotten from Square by the way.
Which is a JPEG and the programming equivalent of a sticker in Brawl. We don't know if Spirits deconfirm because an official statement hasn't been made. We know Mii costumes and assist trophy deconfirm though so that's why I brought those up.

How predictable was it that this thread would go into complete meltdown once the next big Erdrick leak came out
People are allowed to get mad if that's what you mean by "meltdown." People are allowed to have emotion because we're still human and this isn't a suit and tie gala. I'd rather have people rant in the actual Geno thread than make new ones and disrupt the boards. Whatever, it's probably cathartic for them and people's standards for what constitutes a "meltdown" is embarrassingly low anyways. Contained anger on a moderated internet forum? "Hello, United States Department of Defense? Yes, I need all the military branches deployed IMMEDIATELY because five people on an internet forum are saying no-no meany words and it makes my tum-tum hurt to read them. Yes, I'll hold..."

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Whelp. I tried to keep the Square Thread from becoming the Erdrick Circle Jerk but people there don't like to listening to the negatives.

Erdrick got in on a monkey's paw. Be careful what you wished for, my dudes.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Whelp. I tried to keep the Square Thread from becoming the Erdrick Circle Jerk but people there don't like to listening to the negatives.

Classy parting words. Of course we're mainly talking about Erdrick because he is probably our rep. You **** all over DQ at every opportunity instead of actually promoting discussion about other characters. You didn't respectfully bring up the negatives, you whined and complained about DQ like a child. And instead of apologising for the disrespect and your lack of civility, your parting shot is "Be careful what you wish for, my dudes." What's gonna happen under your "Monkey's Paw"? The Nazis return, fully funded by Sugiyama? Doubt it.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I just hope they're aware and thankful they got their rep in because Geno granted their wish.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

There's a BIG difference between being skeptical about Erdrick and trying to enforce your opinion that DQ shouldn't be in Smash because of Sugiyama alone.

This comes from someone who is known as a skeptic on the Square thread.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
becoming the Erdrick Circle Jerk
There's being a sore loser and then there's outright lying like this. Quit while you're ahead.
but people there don't like to listening to the negatives.
Right. That had nothing to do with you trying to fear-monger them without proof, trying to throw shade at the franchise in general, make por unfounded arguments before admitting that you didn't have proof or weren't keeping up with conversations, and the fact that you shot first.

Also, lay off with trying to be holier than thou. You were not too long ago relishing the thought of Edrick getting "BTFO" and acted high and mighty at DQ fans when it seemed like it wasn't gonna be, so you have no leg of credibility to stand on here.
Oh, yeah since Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is actually here, how about you ask him for a refresher concerning that assumption you made before claiming it's a monkey's paw.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When Geno was deconfirmed in Brawl, I spent probably 4 or 5 hours standing in the rain and staring at the sky at St. Martin's Cemetery in Canterbury, England. People process emotions in different ways and I probably understand better than most why people get as upset as they do. Character speculation can be a big personal investment. It's time, it's energy, and it's even emotion. Sometimes if you take all the posts someone made in a cycle, you could probably convert it into a book. If things don't pan out, you feel like you wasted all of this. It's a crap shoot and if you devote months or even years to something and come out empty handed, of course people are going to be mad.

Honestly, you can usually tell how personally invested people were by their reactions. To some, it's a big thing in their lives that takes up a lot of their free time. Yes, it's just a video game but people are like this for all sorts of things from books to TV shows to movies to sports teams and everyone is guilty of it to some degree. It's not a maturity or emotional intelligence gauge, it's simply a matter of being human and grief isn't only felt for the dead. That said, try not to be too hard on the people who are mad and just pull the ear of a mod if someone is genuinely out of hand.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
When Geno was deconfirmed in Brawl, I spent probably 4 or 5 hours standing in the rain and staring at the sky at St. Martin's Cemetery in Canterbury, England. People process emotions in different ways and I probably understand better than most why people get as upset as they do. Character speculation can be a big personal investment. It's time, it's energy, and it's even emotion. Sometimes if you take all the posts someone made in a cycle, you could probably convert it into a book. If things don't pan out, you feel like you wasted all of this. It's a crap shoot and if you devote months or even years to something and come out empty handed, of course people are going to be mad.

Honestly, you can usually tell how personally invested people were by their reactions. To some, it's a big thing in their lives that takes up a lot of their free time. Yes, it's just a video game but people are like this for all sorts of things from books to TV shows to movies to sports teams and everyone is guilty of it to some degree. It's not a maturity or emotional intelligence gauge, it's simply a matter of being human and grief isn't only felt for the dead. That said, try not to be too hard on the people who are mad and just pull the ear of a mod if someone is genuinely out of hand.
You do know that he's been trying to twist people's words including your onw to his benefit right?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's nice to see some Geno detractor's followed me in here; even though I obeyed the wishes and took my salt to the appropriate thread. I guess I'm a train wreck you folks just can't stop watching, huh? Call me the DSP of Geno.

But yeah, as long as you guy's are here; can you explain to them why Erdrick could be a problem for the competitive scene Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?

Wambo

Smash Ace
Really disappointed in the current DLC picks so far, and I hope Sakurai announces a second wave of fighters after this. Very underwhelming choices for third-party picks. It's like Nintendo just saw someone ask for some more third-party characters and didn't even bother going after the big ones people were actually asking for.

I mean honestly, Dragon Quest is really only popular in Japan. I've played the first three games, IX, and Dragon Quest XI, and all of them were very safe, mediocre games.

Not sure who they were trying to appeal to with these characters. I can't express how many times I've seen people on Smash online with a Geno avatar. Porky and Sylux would've even been better characters. I'd even be alright with Travis Touchdown.

I don't look forward at all to Steve's reveal.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to see some Geno detractor's followed me in here; even though I obeyed the wishes and took my salt to the appropriate thread. I guess I'm a train wreck you folks just can't stop watching, huh? Call me the DSP of Geno.
"Geno detractors" Some of us here want Geno in the game dude. Hence why we're in both threads. Not because we're actively following you.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Just a bit of PR-101 for you.
This comment specifically is completely unnecessary to your overall post and only serves to downgrade the intelligence of OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer .

I get that Smash speculation is a personal investment for a lot of people, but c'mon guys why do we have to take pot-shots at each other? During Smash speculation people get so attached to datamines and leaks and "inside info" that they forget that none of those things officially confirm anything. The only source that can officially confirm Smash Bros. content is Nintendo and Sora Ltd. Nothing else. A datamine will come out and people will shout "oh no I lost all hope" and stuff like that and I'm like, why? In my eyes, Geno still has a fair chance. I can see this thread slowly spiraling out of control. Why give up now before the DLC characters were all even announced? If the majority of people have been waiting for Geno for a long time, that should be enough incentive to fight until the very end.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You do know that he's been trying to twist people's words including your onw to his benefit right?
I see myself in him. He's 18, about the same age I was in the early days of Brawl speculation and he's acting a lot like I did during what came to be known as the Brawl fallout but I was much more aggressive. I went into a good number of threads and spread my grievances like Nutella on toast and people openly resented me for a time. Do you know what happened? After about two months I processed everything and was fine again and I imagine they're going through something similar. This might actually be a growing opportunity for them which is why I've been dealing with them with a careful hand. Yes, people don't like it and I remember some mods telling me I was on thin ice but I eventually got everything out and I'm still here more than a decade later. I mean, they've done longitudinal studies on this: the more you chastise people, the more they dig their heels in and the more belligerent they'll likely get. Don't like it, just block him, a feature I bet people wished was available for me back in January to April 2008.

Wambo

Smash Ace
This comment specifically is completely unnecessary to your overall post and only serves to downgrade the intelligence of OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer .

I get that Smash speculation is a personal investment for a lot of people, but c'mon guys why do we have to take pot-shots at each other? During Smash speculation people get so attached to datamines and leaks and "inside info" that they forget that none of those things officially confirm anything. The only source that can officially confirm Smash Bros. content is Nintendo and Sora Ltd. Nothing else. A datamine will come out and people will shout "oh no I lost all hope" and stuff like that and I'm like, why? In my eyes, Geno still has a fair chance. I can see this thread slowly spiraling out of control. Why give up now before the DLC characters were all even announced? If the majority of people have been waiting for Geno for a long time, that should be enough incentive to fight until the very end.
Honestly, with Nintendo's announcement of ****ing Mii costume DLC returning, I don't have much hope for Geno coming to Smash Ultimate.

Why he isn't, when more people are rooting for him than ****ing Erdrick, I haven't the slightest ****ing idea.

Seriously, you think Sakurai would've seen the Grinch leak and gone, "oh ****, people actually reacted positively to this roster, maybe I should actually put them in the game".

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Honestly, with Nintendo's announcement of ****ing Mii costume DLC returning, I don't have much hope for Geno coming to Smash Ultimate.

Why he isn't, when more people are rooting for him than ****ing Erdrick, I haven't the slightest ****ing idea.

Seriously, you think Sakurai would've seen the Grinch leak and gone, "oh ****, people actually reacted positively to this roster, maybe I should actually put them in the game".
By that point it was too late is my guess. They'd already got Erdrick in (probably with mammoth amounts of effort).

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
... ouch.

Guys , Erdrick isn't confirmed.

If you don't like/want Erdrick , don't buy him. If you did buy the fighter pass , I'm sorry.(And I still didn't get my plant code NINTENDO WHAT ARE YOU--*cough cough*)

I can understand why you're frustrated.

For me , Erdrick go every way I don't want to.

Third party , less first party Nintendo characters.(Chibi-robo , Dixie Kong , Chorus Kids , Black Shadow , Isaac , Louie , Ninten , Porky , Paper Mario , ect...)

Swordman and over-all anime style , rather than someone like Slime&Monsters from DQ.

Not a fan demand at all.(But not every character is a fan demand. I just expect one of the pass to be one , like Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy were.)

-------------------------------

I'm going to be honest , I sometimes truly want to say "**** you Square Enix" when I'm tired. But that won't change anything , so I don't do it.
And there's been time when I wasn't just sad , I was straight up depressed. I was for more than a year. But a character like Geno , and his community is what remind me that I'm one of the most lucky person of this planet.

It reminded me how lucky I was to have the internet , video games , mangas , books.
It reminded me how lucky I was to have a place to call "Home".
It reminded me how lucky I was to have food.
It reminded me how lucky I was that , despise having no friends IRL , I had a family and friends on the internet.
This sound cheesy , but when you're depressed , you can look behind you. You can look pretty far. And see things you often forget.
I can talk about a Magic puppet on the internet on my free time , not even most américains/europeans can do that.

This is really personnal , but please , don't turn this thread into hate.

--------------------------------

I don't care at all about Erdrick.

Tbh , I think the proof for Erdrick is far-fetched.(Translation over translation of a code-name wich could point out to several others characters...)

Guys , we've accumulated proofs with concrete speculations.

Real arguments. Even without the leaks , we have a ground to stand on besides "He's requested".
Even with the Grinch Leak and Vergeben , we were like "Even if they are both false , we still have a lot in our favor!"...

Oh , I wish this damn Grinch didn't lied to us and delivered...

We have Starfall project.
4 DLCs slot.
A potential wave2+stand alone DLCs.
We have an amazing Geno mod with Project M/Legacy XP wich is litteraly Geno in Smash.
We also have him playable in Crusade.
We have active supporters.

Let's get this show on the road.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Here's hoping to wave two; and getting more Joker tier characters in wave 1.
I REEEAAALLY hope for a wave 2. For Geno/Banjo's sake.

Plus, I really like the idea of Porky and Sylux getting in. Seeing as how Prime 4 releases this year, I'd love that cross-promotion. I feel like Sylux is actually going to become a pretty prominent and important character in the Metroid series... Also, Porky would be amazing if they were planning on releasing Mother 3 anytime soon (which most people assume is getting remake treatment).

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am still scratching my head with Square. Could they be, in a sense, not trying to be so stingy now?

I say this since if rumours are correct, Cloud was the last one added into the base game since Square wanted him to be DLC, to make more money. If Erdrick is the "concession" for DLC, it is a choice that gives them very, very little profit due to the multiple ownership of assets.

Does this mean they have embraced the idea of using Smash as an advertisement as opposed to just a money maker?

D

Deleted member

But yeah, as long as you guy's are here; can you explain to them why Erdrick could be a problem for the competitive scene Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?
Bro are you ok? You're taking this a bit harshly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom