• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Maybe the hardcore Japanese Smash fans wanted, say Geno, more...

But adding a character from one of the most popular franchises in the entire country would be sure to send massive waves throughout the general public over there, from what I can tell.
I mean, sure, but then it becomes a move on par with adding a Fortnite character or Minecraft for American audiences. Adding a character very few people asked for in lieu of a more requested one because (perceived) sales potential among a consumer base that isn’t committed enough to go out and vote in the ballot and things like that. Again it makes a certain logical sense but you can also see why people would be critical of it.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Maybe it somewhat is

But the series has an incredibly long history with Nintendo, and is considered by some to be one of the leading founders of JRPGs, along with Final Fantasy

Look, I've wanted Geno ever since I started following Ultimate. However, do you see why it makes sense a DQ character would get in over him?
id understand if erdrick was a base roster pick or if the game was japan exclusive, but that isnt the case. his games dont even break 100k outside of japan nowadays for good reason imo

Hey! I know that buddy, isn't him from two and a half reps?! What a great show
nah, its from the Isaac Assist Trophy Show

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I’m still holding out on B&K, man. If they’re not in the character pass will have been a complete bust for me.
not trying to be overly pessimistic but if a shill like erdrick got in over geno, i doubt banjo would get in over steve or master chief. im just really hoping that the datamines and leakers saying erdrick are wrong.

gotta admit i feel pretty betrayed by the treehouse people or that interviewer or whoever who told us it'd be must haves

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I mean, sure, but then it becomes a move on par with adding a Fortnite character or Minecraft for American audiences. Adding a character very few people asked for in lieu of a more requested one because (perceived) sales potential among a consumer base that isn’t committed enough to go out and vote in the ballot and things like that. Again it makes a certain logical sense but you can also see why people would be critical of it.

That is a fair point, I must admit.

And I understand why people would be upset with it. I know that Geno has been requested for a long time, so it would be incredibly painful to be a longtime supporter, and see him get shafted yet again.

For me, I would have prefered Geno or Sora as the SE rep. However, I am very happy that yet another NES era, legendary franchise is getting representation in Smash, and I understand why he was chosen.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You guy's are kind of passively taking Erdrick right now. I'm not going to act like him getting in isn't Grade A corporate bull****

I’m not passively taking Erdrick, I’m actively taking him!

Square Enix doesn't care about our voices. They care about how much Money they can make.

This is just another attempt to push their franchise in the West. A goddamn cynical move
I want to share this with you because I can kind of understand where you’re coming from, deep down.

I learned on November 1 that nobody cares about me. Well, obviously not nobody, I got a ton of people and stuff. But no company loves me or cares about me or understands me.

Appreciate the positives, don’t take the negatives personally. Vote with your wallet, and do what you can to make yourself heard. And when the best case scenario doesn’t happen... well, that’s why it’s only for the best case.

I'm simply not able to separate art from the artist. And I get upset when so many people just.... don't care about the rancid **** happening.
That’s fine, but a lot of people can separate art from artist and there’s nothing wrong with that either.

Piranha Plant followed by three anime sword users... what the **** is this franchise. **** the fighter pass and **** your ****ty game; you're lucky I even bought it. Such ****ty character selection that most of it deserved to be leaked.

Everything from the reveal to K. Rool was flawless; everything after has just gotten worse and worse.

I think it's time they should evolve Mario sandbox games to be more than just random fragments of land, but an actual connected world. The leap from 64 to Sunshine was stunning, but the leap from Sunshine to Odyssey (which was over twice as long)...

Huge missed opportunity to put Geno in Mario/Rabbids as well. He also makes more sense as a toy-to-life amiibo character than anyone else.
Who are the three anime swordfighters ? I only count one (unless Piranha Plant is another Marth clone???)

It INFURIATES me that a goddamn typical and uninspired Sword fighter from a franchise with little to no request to be included in Smash gets in over one that HAS BEEN REQUESTED FOR 14 YEARS.

Might as well not waste 15 ****ing bucks on the Pass and only 5 just for Joker.
Typical and uninspired? You haven’t seen anything yet.

Also the pass is 25 bucks.

If Steve gets in that's the nail in the coffin, there sure wont be any demand for a second pass after that
I disagree. If people don’t get what they want they’ll certainly clamor for a second season.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
not trying to be overly pessimistic but if a shill like erdrick got in over geno, i doubt banjo would get in over steve or master chief. im just really hoping that the datamines and leakers saying erdrick are wrong.

gotta admit i feel pretty betrayed by the treehouse people or that interviewer or whoever who told us it'd be must haves
That's Nintendo for you. The same people that thought Corrin and Dark Pit would get over extremely well with fans.

Im absolutely done with this franchise if they EVER consider putting a ****ing Fortnite character in

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
That's Nintendo for you. The same people that thought Corrin and Dark Pit would get over extremely well with fans.

Im absolutely done with this franchise if they EVER consider putting a ****ing Fortnite character in

They are also the same people who...

>Brought everyone back, including Snake
>Added Ridley
>Added Simon
>Added K Rool
>Brought in faster gameplay to try and appease the Melee crowd
>Added in a Adventure Mode after scrapping it from 4, because of fan requests

I understand your frustrations. But please try and be a little bit more optimistic, you are acting as if EA is in charge of this game.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

honestly if i didnt like how ultimate looked and all the new music id just stick to legacyxp so i could play geno. 75 characters isnt that exciting when 31 of them dont personally mean anything to me (thats not even counting the characters they never cut) and other than snake being back, everyone is here was never really a selling point that mattered to me

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

>Added Ridley
>Added Simon
>Added K Rool

I understand your frustrations. But please try and be a little bit more optimistic, you are acting as if EA is in charge of this game.
They also removed For Glory for no apparent reason despite promoting this as a competitive game

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
They also removed For Glory for no apparent reason despite promoting this as a competitive game

So you are going to disregard everything that I just said because of an online mode that was removed?

I don't agree with everything that Sakurai or Nintendo has done, but it seems as if you are actively looking for reasons to hate the game

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
sad.PNG
Well, excuse me, gents, but I think I need to go join the Waluigi fans and have a good cry in the corner.

Xigger

Smash Lord
>Added Ridley
>Added Simon
>Added K Rool
This. The past 6 months have been amazing. We got more than we ever expected with Ultimate. I'm not going to be upset over a WTF character or a shill (yet unique) DLC fighter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, we can’t move to that other thread. There might be *shivers* Mallow people lurking about there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A couple of things;

Do not double post. Please edit your messages instead.

Trying to go on a massive rampage with salt also means you could create trouble depending upon what is said. Making inflammatory remarks towards Nintendo or anyone else in such an extreme way will be treated as trolling. Grow up. You can dislike the options as much as you want, but show maturity about it too.

That said, Erdrick is hardly a shill pick. He's the most popular DQ protagonist of all time and most known too. DQ actually is selling very well in the States right now. Not as much as FF, but it's doing quite well. It was between Slime or Erdrick as is, and there could be many reasons for which one was chosen. Assuming he's in(which is extremely likely... and so is Steve, since we're mentioning likeliness), he's not there to promote some new game. It's about his legacy. Joker is a more interesting pick in a different way, as his game is not coming to the Switch at all. I honestly doubt we're getting actual promotional picks this time, as the first three known(or at least first two) are unique picks on their own, and not to promote any new Nintendo game.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
That said, Erdrick is hardly a shill pick. He's the most popular DQ protagonist of all time and most known too. DQ actually is selling very well in the States right now. Not as much as FF, but it's doing quite well. It was between Slime or Erdrick as is, and there could be many reasons for which one was chosen. Assuming he's in(which is extremely likely... and so is Steve, since we're mentioning likeliness), he's not there to promote some new game. It's about his legacy. Joker is a more interesting pick in a different way, as his game is not coming to the Switch at all. I honestly doubt we're getting actual promotional picks this time, as the first three known(or at least first two) are unique picks on their own, and not to promote any new Nintendo game.
Sorry man I disagree. The best argument people can make for Erdrick is that DQ is popular in Japan and has a legacy as one of the first JRPGs. DQ has a legacy but so do a bunch of other series and characters that people have actually requested en masse over the years. I'd like to see actual sales data for "DQ actually is selling very well in the States right now" because historically it has not. If Erdrick gets in with a Luminary alt costume as has been rumored then it kind of is a promo pick. The fact remains that SE had other characters that were actually requested by fans for years that they knew were popular enough to be used as leak bait that they decided to ignore in order to push a series that historically has been not popular throughout most of the world.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sorry man I disagree. The best argument people can make for Erdrick is that DQ is popular in Japan and has a legacy as one of the first JRPGs. DQ has a legacy but so do a bunch of other series and characters that people have actually requested en masse over the years. I'd like to see actual sales data for "DQ actually is selling very well in the States right now" because historically it has not. If Erdrick gets in with a Luminary alt costume as has been rumored then it kind of is a promo pick. The fact remains that SE had other characters that were actually requested by fans for years that they knew were popular enough to be used as leak bait that they decided to ignore in order to push a series that historically has been not popular throughout most of the world.
I'm sorry, do you know even know what a shill pick is? It means purely to add to directly promote something only. There is no DQ game to promote that star Erdrick. Thus, he is impossible as a shill pick. That would be true if it was Luminary. DQ is already a massive series worldwide. There's no use in pretending it's some virtual unknown. Erdrick himself is, yes, but the series is huge everywhere. It just isn't as popular worldwide as FF, for whatever reason it could be. And it's been historically popular throughout the world, however. It's one of the biggest franchises worldwide as is.

For that matter, Dragon Quest is the most influential RPG worldwide due to being the grandfather of the genre and the reason every RPG exists. It all started from DQ first influencing the genre to a pretty severe degree. I also cannot really spend time looking for the numbers till at least 12 hours from now. I gotta sleep, but also cause I work right away/will be busy. Though somebody else may have the numbers.

Regardless, you're 100% wrong on the whole shill pick thing. You need to remember what shilling actually means before using it inproperly. That doesn't mean you should like Erdrick or anything. Him being barely known outside of Japan(as he's not the pushed mascot or anything like that) isn't a lack of DQ popularity, it's that many games weren't properly translated and there were tons of strange name issues too. It's a mess. Also, I'd like to note that a fan poll did get taken as of recent. DQ had two separate spots, one for Slime alone, and the other for DQ protagonists. I highly doubt there's no requests as is(though I don't think that's remotely why we're getting Erdrick(well, probably getting him). It's because DQ has an extremely important legacy to gaming as a whole and earned its way into Smash on that alone. It's not like all DLC will be pure fanservice. But as noted, he can't be a shill pick either. He's basically just a retro with a legacy among his series, and his series has a huge gaming legacy, making it a pretty easy pick to do.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, a DQ rep (I'm talking Erdrick, Slime, etc., and NOT the Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Blizzard) is very understandable.

Dragon Quest is huge for Japan, the second most profitable franchise for Square, and genuinely historical with regard to the RPG/JRPG genre.

In fact, Persona is a spin-off series of Shin Megami Tensei which is also regarded as another major player in the history and legacy of this genre.

These first two characters, believe it or not, fit well within Smash's new role as a franchise to celebrate gaming as a whole. In fact, I can understand why rumors regarding Ryu H. and Doomguy can gain so much momentum because they would both honor the hack 'n slash and FPS genres respectively.

I honestly don't know who the remaining 4 DLC characters will be, but we all have to keep in mind that third party guests are always going to be some mix of historical legacy, promotion, and popularity. After characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic, I don't blame Sakurai for strongly considering characters with a historical legacy and with new installments of their series being released. DQ and Shin Megami Tensei / Persona are really old, time tested franchises that still put out new games.

I say this as someone who passionately wants Geno, feels meh about Joker, and dislikes Erdrick and the anime swordfighter bias in general, but please take any negative energy you may have and do something positive and productive with it.

For example, this thread has inspired me to write a letter to Square/Nintendo about how much I love Geno and want him in Smash.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year, this thread is sinking like a Titanic lmao. This sucks.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to add that I am also hopeful that Geno can still make it into the first wave of DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if Square got two DLC reps, however unlikely as that may be.

If not, then there is always the next smash. Many of you are pretty young, so you might end up playing as Geno soon enough. It took nearly 10 years to get Diddy, but I am also grateful for the last 10 years I got to play as Diddy competetively throughout my 20s. Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Isaac, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, and others will all have their invites eventually.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Just wanted to add that I am also hopeful that Geno can still make it into the first wave of DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if Square got two DLC reps, however unlikely as that may be.

If not, then there is always the next smash. Many of you are pretty young, so you might end up playing as Geno soon enough. It took nearly 10 years to get Diddy, but I am also grateful for the last 10 years I got to play as Diddy competetively throughout my 20s. Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Isaac, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, and others will all have their invites eventually.
The main issue I see with campaigning for a "next game" is that we'll have to contend with Waluigi for the Mario spot next game. And that's almost certainly going to be an uphill battle given how much of a meme Waluigi is in the context of Smash. I hate to say it, but as far as Smash is concerned, I feel this is the farthest Geno's gonna get riding on fan demand alone.
That doesn't mean I think he'll never happen, though; if we can manage to get him and his friends to appear in the Mario spinoffs, then I think we'll get somewhere with his chances.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, do you know even know what a shill pick is? It means purely to add to directly promote something only. There is no DQ game to promote that star Erdrick. Thus, he is impossible as a shill pick. That would be true if it was Luminary. DQ is already a massive series worldwide. There's no use in pretending it's some virtual unknown. Erdrick himself is, yes, but the series is huge everywhere. It just isn't as popular worldwide as FF, for whatever reason it could be. And it's been historically popular throughout the world, however. It's one of the biggest franchises worldwide as is.

For that matter, Dragon Quest is the most influential RPG worldwide due to being the grandfather of the genre and the reason every RPG exists. It all started from DQ first influencing the genre to a pretty severe degree. I also cannot really spend time looking for the numbers till at least 12 hours from now. I gotta sleep, but also cause I work right away/will be busy. Though somebody else may have the numbers.

Regardless, you're 100% wrong on the whole shill pick thing. You need to remember what shilling actually means before using it inproperly. That doesn't mean you should like Erdrick or anything. Him being barely known outside of Japan(as he's not the pushed mascot or anything like that) isn't a lack of DQ popularity, it's that many games weren't properly translated and there were tons of strange name issues too. It's a mess. Also, I'd like to note that a fan poll did get taken as of recent. DQ had two separate spots, one for Slime alone, and the other for DQ protagonists. I highly doubt there's no requests as is(though I don't think that's remotely why we're getting Erdrick(well, probably getting him). It's because DQ has an extremely important legacy to gaming as a whole and earned its way into Smash on that alone. It's not like all DLC will be pure fanservice. But as noted, he can't be a shill pick either. He's basically just a retro with a legacy among his series, and his series has a huge gaming legacy, making it a pretty easy pick to do.
Hey man I just want to point out that just a couple of posts ago you told people to be civil in this thread to one another and this response came off as a little more unfriendly than necessary. Just saying. I mean, really, don't insult my intelligence here talking down to me and wagging your finger over me "using shill pick improperly" when I didn't even use the term at all. That said, I obviously do know what a shill pick means. But notice I didn't say shill pick. I said promo pick. Because putting a DQ protagonist into a game with massive worldwide appeal is most certainly being done with the knowledge that it will give the series the mainstream worldwide exposure it could never quite achieve on its own in the way FF did. But also notice I specifically pointed out a possible Luminary costume (because they were also listed int he rumor) as a point towards it being more of a promotional pick.

DQ isn't massive worldwide. It's massive in Japan. It's definitely known worldwide, but let's not overstate how big it actually is. DQ is not "huge" in America or Europe. Not even close. SE has even acknowledged this before: https://nintendoeverything.com/squa...fantasy-in-the-west-keeping-the-series-fresh/ .

Do you have a source for that fan poll? Because every one that I've seen recently hasn't had a single DQ character on it or at least none placed high enough for it to be significant. I mean, sure, at least some people out there in the world of all the people who vote for characters has voted for Erdrick especially in Japan. But is it to a significant degree above other SE characters?

I'm sure DQ getting in is going to be spun by many people as being solely due to its legacy as one of the first big JRPGs. But I (and plenty of pother people) are saying that the most likely reason why it's being inserted into a game filled predominately with characters that appeal on a worldwide scale and/or ones that are huge fan requests when SE had the power to select a number of characters of theirs that are from series popular worldwide that are actually being requested is because SE wants to promote DQ in the West in general and increase its popularity. You can get mad at us for saying so, but that doesn't make it not true.

Last edited:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Agreed Ze Diglett Ze Diglett . Us Geno fans need to push for something more substantial than JUST smash. Which is why that Operation Starfall thread is great.

A SMRPG remake, sequel, or just Geno cameos in Mario sports games will all go a long way to successfully getting Geno in smash.

However, I would also argue that Geno's demand will also persist into the 6th smash installment.

While some older players (I imagine this is a key demographic for Geno support) might stop playing smash, there will always be new young blood playing SMRPG on virtual consoles and the SNES classic. There will be new young kids also intrigued by Geno's legend spirit and Mii costume. Finally, let's not forget that while Geno may still have to compete with Waluigi directly, Geno does get new supporters from K. Rool, Ridley, and others being added to Ultimate. Many of these supporters have Geno as their new number one most wanted (although it's fair to assume they'll break off to Isaac and Banjo as well).

Also, like Ridley and K. Rool, Geno is a big name in Smash speculation. Geno is cemented in the history of smash speculation and demand. This will also inform new players about Geno and get them interested in maintaining his support for future smash games. There are just too many factors contributing to this "passing of the torch."

Geno is going to remain a top 5 / top 10 pick for a long time, just as he has for pretty much the 10-15 yrs before. Our 22 yr old puppet will have his day.

Last edited:

BanjoBoi

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post; censor dodging
Honestly I see both sides.

You are trying to keep politics out of this and asking someone to not lump everyone together, but I see Optimist's side too.

Geno is not in the game as a playable character, yet DQ is getting a rep when there is little request for it. Be honest with yourself, almost no one here in this subthread wants him. I can say with confidence that most of the people on Smash Boards don't want him, and with slightly less confidence that the majority of the Smash community doesn't want him. If the amount of requests for a DQ rep is low even in Japan, the only real region that shows real love to the franchise, then you can imagine how much lower the request for a DQ rep is outside of Japan.

Yet, despite our pleas and support and the fact that Geno is easier to license and would make Square more money and Sakurai SEEMLY desiring the character as well, all current signs point to a Saiyan-wannabe with a headband. They listened to Ridley fans and K. Rool fans and supposedly Simon fans, but Geno fans? We got the boot this time, a Mii Costume in a previous title and a JPG with little functionality in this one is all we get. Hell, even if the Mii Costumes come back (which there is no 100% proof that we are getting any after Rex, or that all the old ones will be back) they will likely be banned from tourney play, so we can;t even support Geno on the competitive scene!

It's frustrating when everyone is being heard but you, I'm sure Issac fans can relate. Sure, they made off and celebrated a day for themselves and got heard, but Nintendo ALREADY knows we want Geno, it's literally in their hands and yet here we are, talking about how unlikely he is to get in instead about his cool moveset and what his match-ups might be like.

Uh, does it REALLY though? Your opinions on a man can be debated elsewhere, but Geno's chances have nothing to do with Sugiyama's beliefs, and that's what we talk about here: Geno in Smash, and his competition. Take the politics somewhere else, brother.

Understand most of Japan isn't on smashboards. There is huge demand for him over there. And Isaac fans have accepted he's deconfirmed so don't compare them with Geno's . And you got one of the biggest spirits in the game. Understand that sakurai and Nintendo heard you and your outcry put him in the game. Otherwise they wouldn't have even put the spirit in. Just because you constantly envision it, add him to fan games, come up with movesets, do everything feasibly possibly the outcry won't be heard unless square fixes their liscensing and priorities. Which they can't even properly make their own games so I don't see it happening. And that's coming from an Isaac fan who realizes there probably won't get another game for years and Isaac in smash for even longer. This is coming from a banjo fan who won't have another game ever. And he won't appear in smash because of ****ing Steve of all people but I learn to accept things. Just wait for the new game and stop shooting down every person who wants a different character or recognizes popularity outside of a specific character board and move on

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Don't dare compare Isaac fans and Geno fans. Isaac fans can accept that he is deconfirmed wand won't go out of the way to other characters boards to complain and push an agenda that

Understand most of Japan isn't on smashboards. There is huge demand for him over there. And Isaac fans have accepted he's deconfirmed so don't compare them with Geno's . And you got one of the biggest spirits in the game. Understand that sakurai and Nintendo heard you and your outcry put him in the game. Otherwise they wouldn't have even put the spirit in. Just because you constantly envision it, add him to fan games, come up with movesets, do everything feasibly possibly the outcry won't be heard unless square fixes their liscensing and priorities. Which they can't even properly make their own games so I don't see it happening. And that's coming from an Isaac fan who realizes there probably won't get another game for years and Isaac in smash for even longer. This is coming from a banjo fan who won't have another game ever. And he won't appear in smash because of f***ing Steve of all people but I learn to accept things. Just wait for the new game and stop shooting down every person who wants a different character or recognizes popularity outside of a specific character board and move on
>goes to another character's thread to assert that his fanbase is better because they don't go to other characters' threads to complain
Whoops.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey man I just want to point out that just a couple of posts ago you told people to be civil in this thread to one another and this response came off as a little more unfriendly than necessary. Just saying. I mean, really, don't insult my intelligence here talking down to me and wagging your finger over me "using shill pick improperly" when I didn't even use the term at all. That said, I obviously do know what a shill pick means. But notice I didn't say shill pick. I said promo pick. Because putting a DQ protagonist into a game with massive worldwide appeal is most certainly being done with the knowledge that it will give the series the mainstream worldwide exposure it could never quite achieve on its own in the way FF did. But also notice I specifically pointed out a possible Luminary costume (because they were also listed int he rumor) as a point towards it being more of a promotional pick.
He's not a promo pick either(which is actually what being a shill pick is anyway. It's the same definition. That was why I replied, and it was also late at night, so it's easy to misread). There's nothing to promote. The series is worldwide. His game is already out. Also, I'm saying the straight facts here. I apologize if they come off a bit heavy. The series never lacked mainstream exposure either. It's kind of hard to when it's the biggest rpg franchise in gaming history in itself. FF didn't influence the world nearly as much.

DQ isn't massive worldwide. It's massive in Japan. It's definitely known worldwide, but let's not overstate how big it actually is. DQ is not "huge" in America or Europe. Not even close. SE has even acknowledged this before: https://nintendoeverything.com/squa...fantasy-in-the-west-keeping-the-series-fresh/ .
Uh, yes, it's still huge. You aren't the most iconic RPG series of the world and not huge as a series. It also speaks more on how it's not as popular as FF is overseas... which is still what I said. The issues in the article show more that they have a hard time keeping the series fresh, which is an issue FF and DQ both had in different ways.

Do you have a source for that fan poll? Because every one that I've seen recently hasn't had a single DQ character on it or at least none placed high enough for it to be significant. I mean, sure, at least some people out there in the world of all the people who vote for characters has voted for Erdrick especially in Japan. But is it to a significant degree above other SE characters?
It'll take me forever to find too, since again, I got no time right now.

I'm sure DQ getting in is going to be spun by many people as being solely due to its legacy as one of the first big JRPGs. But I (and plenty of pother people) are saying that the most likely reason why it's being inserted into a game filled predominately with characters that appeal on a worldwide scale and/or ones that are huge fan requests when SE had the power to select a number of characters of theirs that are from series popular worldwide that are actually being requested is because SE wants to promote DQ in the West in general and increase its popularity. You can get mad at us for saying so, but that doesn't make it not true.
It does make it not true. Because the gaming legacy is the reason for Sakurai and Nintendo to care. SE aren't the one making the choice to do anything but say yes to adding the character. They didn't choose the DLC, Nintendo and Sakurai did. SE is pretty irrelevant in that particular case. Best they may be doing is wanting it pushed to DLC to make more money, but that's kind of it. It wouldn't matter if it was base or DLC, cause it would still be very popular and still content chosen due to its gaming legacy, which is the general reason 3rd parties are even chosen(Bayonetta and Snake are the only two who weren't chosen due to that anyway. Rest having gaming legacy as part of it. Snake was a request from a friend and Bayonetta was no icon, but we can't confirm exactly how she got chosen either).

There's a difference between SE agreeing cause they think it'll help and why Erdrick was chosen(by a company and person who doesn't own the character nor are even choosing DLC for promotional reasons that can be remotely proven at this time. Especially not PP. And last time it was just Corrin at best, and he barely made it. Sakurai wasn't going to even add him till his team convinced him the moveset was most important). Sakurai's hardly a fan of promotional picks and actually likes choosing characters on their own merits and for the fans. And it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom