• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's hoping to wave two; and getting more Joker tier characters in wave 1.
That's exactly the thing too, we're still dealing with a ton of unknowns:

1. We still don't know if Spirits 100% deconfirm.

2. We don't know if Geno absolutely won't be one of the three remaining mystery characters.

3. We don't know if there will be a season two.

That's why I'm only accepting a hard confirmation or decomfirmation at this point and acknowledging we're largely just dealing with conjecture. Most people are probably taking the L because, yeah, it's kind of exhausting and, like I said during my depressed rants about a month ago, waiting nearly a year for an absolute answer is a big investment and news is going to be slow and far in-between. Most people are just wanting to put it past them now and I understand that because asking people to wait at the metaphorical bus stop until possibly next November/December is asking a lot.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay. That's enough.

I understand the frustration. I got pretty frustrated, too, over the idea of Erdrick in Smash Brothers, but... let's be real. After all of that stuff with DQ being dangled in front of the fans' faces, would we really want the rug swept out from under them? I sure don't. We as Geno fans have faced that multiple times, especially for those who believed in the Grinch leak (which doesn't include me, but I'm using this as an example). If that happened to DQ in Smash, I would have felt terrible. I'm personally glad that Erdrick or whatever other DQ heroes are in got this spot. With DQ's legacy, if it wasn't for Square and Nintendo's tiff, I would have expected DQ far sooner.

Please, look at the bright side, and don't look at the forest for the trees. One battle lost is not the whole war lost. Plus, with a perceived 'competitor' with as strong a legacy as DQ, I cannot be anything but proud of them for what they've accomplished. I accept this with grace, and I'm extremely happy for DQ's fanbase! I'm really glad they're 99% sure of having their dreams realized.

After all, isn't that what Geno is all about? Granting wishes? They got theirs, and I think we shouldn't be so vitriolic about that. I applaud them and congratulate them.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Okay. That's enough.

I understand the frustration. I got pretty frustrated, too, over the idea of Erdrick in Smash Brothers, but... let's be real. After all of that stuff with DQ being dangled in front of the fans' faces, would we really want the rug swept out from under them? I sure don't. We as Geno fans have faced that multiple times, especially for those who believed in the Grinch leak (which doesn't include me, but I'm using this as an example). If that happened to DQ in Smash, I would have felt terrible. I'm personally glad that Erdrick or whatever other DQ heroes are in got this spot. With DQ's legacy, if it wasn't for Square and Nintendo's tiff, I would have expected DQ far sooner.

Please, look at the bright side, and don't look at the forest for the trees. One battle lost is not the whole war lost. Plus, with a perceived 'competitor' with as strong a legacy as DQ, I cannot be anything but proud of them for what they've accomplished. I accept this with grace, and I'm extremely happy for DQ's fanbase! I'm really glad they're 99% sure of having their dreams realized.

After all, isn't that what Geno is all about? Granting wishes? They got theirs, and I think we shouldn't be so vitriolic about that. I applaud them and congratulate them.
I personally wouldn't. These people treated us the same way during the Grinch Leak, so I would have seen that as karma.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I personally wouldn't. These people treated us the same way during the Grinch Leak, so I would have seen that as karma.
Apparently there is no such thing as overlap between Geno and DQ fans, and all DQ fans are the small group of #Teamfake that delighted in BTFO'ing people- specifically Geno supporters. Way to generalise.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Apparently there is no such thing as overlap between Geno and DQ fans, and all DQ fans are the small group of #Teamfake that delighted in BTFO'ing people- specifically Geno supporters. Way to generalise.
I just call the patterns like I see them.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
You want me to start naming names? I really don't want to be THAT petty if I can avoid it.
In this thread or not? Because if you're talking, like, GameFAQs, it's a toxic waste dump that shows only the worst parts of the fanbase. But here, I haven't seen anyone delight in BTFO'ing the Grinch Leak.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, personally I’m a Geno fan and I’m on record as saying I was 99% sure Grinch leak was real.

Ooh boy, that was a rude awakening.

But I just love video games and their history and I’m a huge fan of DQ, so I’m kinda happy about the new revelations. Not like hype, but I’m alright with it.

OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer I think you might be confusing some things for others. Maybe some things you thought were Geno bashing were something else entirely.

D

Deleted member

The Grinch leak was beautiful. I always imagine a time where it was real. When it was glorious. When all those characters in the Grinch leak would be revealed in that god tier CGI. When the Geno bros, Isaac bros, and Banjo bros would all receive their well deserved reward. When Sonic's rival would go head to head with him. When Rhythm Heaven would get a rep. When Mach Rider would join the fray as the new retro rep after being considered for Melee.

When all the speculation for the major fan favorite characters (except for characters like Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, and Elma) would finally be over.

Last edited by a moderator:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
In this thread or not? Because if you're talking, like, GameFAQs, it's a toxic waste dump that shows only the worst parts of the fanbase. But here, I haven't seen anyone delight in BTFO'ing the Grinch Leak.
Some people in this forum. People like Push Dustin as well, including some Smash Youtubers.

D

Deleted member

Well, personally I’m a Geno fan and I’m on record as saying I was 99% sure Grinch leak was real.

Ooh boy, that was a rude awakening.

But I just love video games and their history and I’m a huge fan of DQ, so I’m kinda happy about the new revelations. Not like hype, but I’m alright with it.

OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer I think you might be confusing some things for others. Maybe some things you thought were Geno bashing were something else entirely.
I was 100% sure the Grinch leak was real lmao

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That's exactly the thing too, we're still dealing with a ton of unknowns:

1. We still don't know if Spirits 100% deconfirm.

2. We don't know if Geno absolutely won't be one of the three remaining mystery characters.

3. We don't know if there will be a season two.

That's why I'm only accepting a hard confirmation or decomfirmation at this point and acknowledging we're largely just dealing with conjecture. Most people are probably taking the L because, yeah, it's kind of exhausting and, like I said during my depressed rants about a month ago, waiting nearly a year for an absolute answer is a big investment and news is going to be slow and far in-between. Most people are just wanting to put it past them now and I understand that because asking people to wait at the metaphorical bus stop until possibly next November/December is asking a lot.
Oh, and 4. Nintendo hasn't confirmed Eddy yet and Brave could mean many things and all the people saying it's Eddy either have no previous credibility or lost a lot of it due to being wrong about Smash content.

So yeah, you know, we COULD wait to collectively die inside until Nintendo confirms Eddy...right?

D

Deleted member

Oh, and 4. Nintendo hasn't confirmed Eddy yet and Brave could mean many things and all the people saying it's Eddy either have no previous credibility or lost a lot of it due to being wrong about Smash content.

So yeah, you know, we COULD wait to collectively die inside until Nintendo confirms Eddy...right?
Still though, even then, Geno would only be dead if he were an assist trophy, Mii costume, or Sakurai/Nintendo saying he won't be in. Eddy doesn't spell the end for him. "Only 1 SE rep" is a fanmade rule

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Still though, even then, Geno would only be dead if he were an assist trophy, Mii costume, or Sakurai/Nintendo saying he won't be in. Eddy doesn't spell the end for him. "Only 1 SE rep" is a fanmade rule
With SE's track record and the Fighter's Pass only having 5 reps, it's unlikely we will get another character from them. We have nothing showing that we will get random DLC on the level of a character outside of that, only Spirits. At this point it really does seem like SE is somehow against this.

D

Deleted member

With SE's track record and the Fighter's Pass only having 5 reps, it's unlikely we will get another character from them. We have nothing showing that we will get random DLC on the level of a character outside of that, only Spirits. At this point it really does seem like SE is somehow against this.
Well hey, Geno is a Mario character. SE might want a character to represent their history and their history alone to go along with Geno, who represents a Mario character created by a different company.

And even if it's unlikely, it's just unlikely. Doesn't mean that it won't happen

Xigger

Smash Lord
I don't really get this screaming at cinders approach anyways. "We're a little optimistic." "OMFG, the DELUSION is out of control! Let's get some lithium in here, STAT!!!" I've been griping about it for months. Most people here are now saying Geno's RIP and we're STILL getting scolded for even entertaining the idea of a chance despite no hard confirmation yet. There's no Mii costume. No assist trophy. No public statements. Nothing aside from the fan conjecture that Erdrick and Geno were directly competing and Erdrick = No Geno despite Erdrick's IP having three other owners aside from Square that have much more say and power in the decision.

It's like people are pissed that the fanbase hasn't totally folded and anything outside of pure cynicism is completely unacceptable.
I'm just going to point out how I see more hate against Geno fans than others and it's annoying, because all the fans are generalized as "lol you all suck, delusional no-lives let me tell you why [insert other "irrelevant" character here] has a near-100% chance of getting in."
Lots of really negative people on these forums. Lots of mod warnings lately. Hoping to see some action relatively soon.

D

Deleted member

The Grinch leak was beautiful. I always imagine a time where it was real. When it was glorious. When all those characters in the Grinch leak would be revealed in that god tier CGI. When the Geno bros, Isaac bros, and Banjo bros would all receive their well deserved reward. When Sonic's rival would go head to head with him. When Rhythm Heaven would get a rep. When Mach Rider would join the fray as the new retro rep after being considered for Melee.

When all the speculation for the major fan favorite characters (except for characters like Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, and Elma) would finally be over.
Honestly as somebody who supports the newer characters like those a bit more then the older characters, I still think Grinch leak would've been the best timeline.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
We should find someone who can interview Sakurai and ask if he can clear up if spirits deconfirm, or what happened to the geno mii costume. Is this remotely possible?

D

Deleted member

Honestly as somebody who supports the newer characters like those a bit more then the older characters, I still think Grinch leak would've been the best timeline.
Same. My second most wanted character at the time (and still is) was Ninten from Mother 1, but even then, like you said, the Grinch leak would've been the best timeline.

I was depressed when it was proven fake lol

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
We need to find a way to get into another timeline where the grinch leak was real lol.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Really disappointed in the current DLC picks so far, and I hope Sakurai announces a second wave of fighters after this. Very underwhelming choices for third-party picks. It's like Nintendo just saw someone ask for some more third-party characters and didn't even bother going after the big ones people were actually asking for.

I mean honestly, Dragon Quest is really only popular in Japan. I've played the first three games, IX, and Dragon Quest XI, and all of them were very safe, mediocre games.

Not sure who they were trying to appeal to with these characters. I can't express how many times I've seen people on Smash online with a Geno avatar. Porky and Sylux would've even been better characters. I'd even be alright with Travis Touchdown.

I don't look forward at all to Steve's reveal.
I'm not going all in on that dumb 5chan leak because of this. Joker was probably a lucky guess, and Erdrick was almost certainly piggybacking on what other leakers at the time were saying. Plus, that leak goes into detail on why each character in it was chosen. Pro tip: if a leak claims to know why a character was chosen, it's pretty much always fake. If we see Ninja Gaiden as our next Fighter Pack, though, then I'd start to get worried.
I'm still not feeling good about Geno, though. The probability of another Square fighter as DLC is slim to none, I admit, and I'm ready to accept that Dragon Quest stuff is all we're getting out of them for the time being. That doesn't mean this has to be the end, though; Operation Starfall exists as a way for us to show our support in a (hopefully) more organized and fruitful way. Like I said a while back in this thread, getting Geno in Smash directly doesn't seem to be working, so the next best thing is to solve the relevancy issue by bringing him back to his home series!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm not going all in on that dumb 5chan leak because of this. Joker was probably a lucky guess, and Erdrick was almost certainly piggybacking on what other leakers at the time were saying. Plus, that leak goes into detail on why each character in it was chosen. Pro tip: if a leak claims to know why a character was chosen, it's pretty much always fake. If we see Ninja Gaiden as our next Fighter Pack, though, then I'd start to get worried.
I'm still not feeling good about Geno, though. The probability of another Square fighter as DLC is slim to none, I admit, and I'm ready to accept that Dragon Quest stuff is all we're getting out of them for the time being. That doesn't mean this has to be the end, though; Operation Starfall exists as a way for us to show our support in a (hopefully) more organized and fruitful way. Like I said a while back in this thread, getting Geno in Smash directly doesn't seem to be working, so the next best thing is to solve the relevancy issue by bringing him back to his home series!
I agree , Iv'e already said this , but the Mario RPGs are in kind of a bad state now.

Stickers Star almost killed Paper Mario , and Color Splash , even tho it has Good ideas , wasn't the correct route.

I think people over-estimate a bit Bowser Insides Story , but It's still a great game. With Dream Team , we saw a lot of gimmicks , but I personnaly saw the spirit of "Superstar Saga".(A completely new world+references of olders Mario RPG , even Partners in Time!)
I was honestly very disapointed with Paper Jam Story , there was too much humor to the point I couldn't feel invested anymore. But the gameplay was cool.
But now , Alphadream is at their second remake...

And the Switch is weird. M&L was optimised for handeld devices , and Paper Mario for Home devices. (This explain the difference of speed between the two)
But the Switch is both.

So they could go with both route... But they already did a remake of the most famous M&L and Paper Mario can't really use O.C.s anymore.

The Mario RPGs need a reboot.
And I think that SE could do it , if Nintendo paid them for that. It would be the best opportunity to use SMRPG's cast.

And if they see good feedback for Geno and coe inclusion , we might see them in others Mario games/RPGs until SE realize that they are marketable and thus have a chance for cross-promotion in Smash DLC.

And seriously , we live in a World where Mario+Rabbids+guns is an amazing game. So a SE Mario RPG isn't out of the question.

(Btw , is anyone getting the Bowser Insides Story remake?)

paper roxy

Smash Ace
well this thread kinda went to ****. not that i expected much different for erdrick being all but confirmed and a lot of people here being pretty invested in geno (myself included)
also
also were people really trying to argue that a game who's non-japanese sale barely make up 10% (usually 100k units a game in the west) of the games' sales is big worldwide?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I agree , Iv'e already said this , but the Mario RPGs are in kind of a bad state now.

Stickers Star almost killed Paper Mario , and Color Splash , even tho it has Good ideas , wasn't the correct route.

I think people over-estimate a bit Bowser Insides Story , but It's still a great game. With Dream Team , we saw a lot of gimmicks , but I personnaly saw the spirit of "Superstar Saga".(A completely new world+references of olders Mario RPG , even Partners in Time!)
I was honestly very disapointed with Paper Jam Story , there was too much humor to the point I couldn't feel invested anymore. But the gameplay was cool.
But now , Alphadream is at their second remake...

And the Switch is weird. M&L was optimised for handeld devices , and Paper Mario for Home devices. (This explain the difference of speed between the two)
But the Switch is both.

So they could go with both route... But they already did a remake of the most famous M&L and Paper Mario can't really use O.C.s anymore.

The Mario RPGs need a reboot.
And I think that SE could do it , if Nintendo paid them for that. It would be the best opportunity to use SMRPG's cast.

And if they see good feedback for Geno and coe inclusion , we might see them in others Mario games/RPGs until SE realize that they are marketable and thus have a chance for cross-promotion in Smash DLC.

And seriously , we live in a World where Mario+Rabbids+guns is an amazing game. So a SE Mario RPG isn't out of the question.

(Btw , is anyone getting the Bowser Insides Story remake?)
I'll probably get the BIS remake. It's my favorite next to the original SSS. Plus, that minions mode was really fun in the SSS remake and since the BIS remake has it, it'll keep me interested.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'll probably get the BIS remake. It's my favorite next to the original SSS. Plus, that minions mode was really fun in the SSS remake and since the BIS remake has it, it'll keep me interested.
I loved Captain Goomba in Bowser's minions! They nailed it with his personnality.

They also reminded me how awesome the koopalings were , I try to play them a bit more in Smash Bros now.

But seeing Jr. interactions with the koopalings will be interesting , in Bowser's minions
it was kind of disapointing that you just "get" Bowser Junior as a bonus unit at the end. At least Starlow and Prince Peasly had some importance in the story.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I loved Captain Goomba in Bowser's minions! They nailed it with his personnality.

They also reminded me how awesome the koopalings were , I try to play them a bit more in Smash Bros now.

But seeing Jr. interactions with the koopalings will be interesting , in Bowser's minions
it was kind of disapointing that you just "get" Bowser Junior as a bonus unit at the end. At least Starlow and Prince Peasly had some importance in the story.
I couldn't agree more. I was wondering how they would work that character into the story, since you can see the shadow in the unit list, but they evidently just didn't. He's also one of my favorite Mario characters so i'm looking forward to the remake.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Which is a JPEG and the programming equivalent of a sticker in Brawl. We don't know if Spirits deconfirm because an official statement hasn't been made. We know Mii costumes and assist trophy deconfirm though so that's why I brought those up.
Brawl's stickers didn't have elaborate battles tho. Also I'd say PNG; JPEG's aren't transparent I think.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It may be a ghost town here, yes, but that's likely because of all of the effort being put into Operation Starfall. That being said, though, I still encourage campaigning for Geno in Smash, as well. However, like I said ad nauseum, I think that focusing our effort on a wider view will ultimately be the best option, not just Geno, but for Mallow, as well.

(where is all the mallow love he is such a good fluff)

D

Deleted member

It may be a ghost town here, yes, but that's likely because of all of the effort being put into Operation Starfall. That being said, though, I still encourage campaigning for Geno in Smash, as well. However, like I said ad nauseum, I think that focusing our effort on a wider view will ultimately be the best option, not just Geno, but for Mallow, as well.

(where is all the mallow love he is such a good fluff)
Y'know, some of us in the Operation Starfall thread should make fanart of Mallow too

D

Deleted member

Fluffy boi needs more art love.
He does lol.

I can just imagine someone drawing him and Frogfucious with a text box over Frogfucious saying:

"MALLOW, YOU ARE NOT A TADPOLE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom