• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Oh , I see! Thanks for the information.

I'm just scared to get a "Cloud Sm4sh DLC" situation all over again. Of course we're always going to get top tier characters , and characters with stupidly strong tools , but Sephirtoh kinda scare me.
But to be honest , Palutena , depise beeing a godess is still a low mid tier/low tier...
Cloud was overrated, in terms of competitive power. MKLeo, M2K and others have come out to talk about it and how people didn't learn how to outmatch him. He was the only character in the game to get guaranteed stage spiked. XD

But I understand the fear. By definition he has to be character with the biggest range in the game. As a Mario main, this is a nightmare by definition. XD

Also, Loliko YnT Loliko YnT , here's one more pic to give an idea.

He would have this iconic stance always, and you can see that his sword is just a bit larger than Cloud's (the Buster Sword is around the same size as the ultimate weapon for Cloud). It's big, but not pathetically big like the one seen in expanded universe garbage.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is this info from PolarPanda PolarPanda or from another source entirely?
An outsider that came out of nowhere. They reached out and then just kind of yeet'd out of the conversation. Granted, people reaching out with supposed info is not unusual but the info shared here lines up with and connects the dots to a lot of things that have been said for months. Honestly, it could all be false but, again, everything they said was very plausible.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Jeez the struggle is real. I can rule out Sora as the right away no.

That leaves Geno, Crono, Sephorath and DQ character(s).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brass tacks, here's a big takeaway: if someone speaks in absolutes about who is in and who is leak bait, they are wrong because even the deepest of insiders don't know this. Second, if someone is dumb enough to make a statement like this, pay close attention to whether their house is replaced by a smoldering crater if you're walking in their neighborhood.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly, and especially if one of them’s Geno, it’s not even that impossible that we’d just... get both. Would make a lot of sense at this point.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I'm going to be glad we even get a new Square Enix character at all, as long at it brings more than 2 music tracks.

Crono with only 2 songs would be a travesty.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
I can see Square initially saying no to Geno, since they were apparently being grumpy about nintendo asking for another character that they already said no to, assuming it was Sora. Which prompted talks for both Geno and Sephorath. Hopefully the case for Geno was good enough. If this was the case that is

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Has information that may or may not be founded but seems a bit questionable, just keep in mind guys that ANYONE who says they know who ANY DLC characters are should probably have brown eyes because they are so full of ****. No one has any clue, to the point where I would say that even the big leakers we trust have no idea at this point. If you choose to trust Verge or those before him who had info on stuff in the game before launch, that's up to you, but post-launch is a WHOLE different ball game and I think it would be wise if you took everything you hear or see as pure speculation with no fact behind it, regardless of what's said.

Hell, I normally trust our loving blue sailor man, but this conflicts with stuff we've recently heard and with all the leakers suddenly starting to fall apart and scramble I'd personally say that it's more likely we get no Square rep at all. This is of course speculation as well, so take it how you will, this is just based off some info I have that makes bits of what we've just heard seem rather shaky, most of it you've all seen already.

Also, now is probably a good as time as any, but I ALSO can confirm that PolarPanda PolarPanda and his/her source are 100% real and, as of this point, have yet to give us any reason to question or disagree with what has been said here.

EDIT: To word this a bit better, pretty much anyone who says someone is in or out is lying. Info I have conflicts partially with info fatman just shared, and I have confirmed that PolarPanda and their source are real and have yet to be wrong about anything they have said thus far.

Last edited:

slopdop

Smash Cadet
I don't know... with a stage and music being included and what's been said, I just feel like Geno's inclusion would be the best value to have all included for $5.99. I'd personally find it kinda laughable if any other rep got in but could only bring in one or two tracks. I also love Yoko's work, and with her already working on music for this game, I feel like we could maybe get 5 SMRPG tracks minimum if Geno was picked.

berserker37

Smash Rookie
Would it be safe to assume that any DQ characters are out of the running? If talks with square happened that late, and assuming DLC was chosen around the same time, would it be possible to get all of the other companies that own DQ on board in time in development?

D

Deleted member

Great list! I could see NoJ saying this.

Yea I think that’s pretty reasonable. I do feel like another Zelda rep is coming, but all these seem good. Super thorough, great list!

How is PP like other characters?

Geno Grants Your Wish is an awesome splash subtext.
Piranha Plant has moves that resemble moves of other characters in the game, like his dash attack, which resembles Yoshi's dash attack, his recovery, which resembles King K Rool's recovery, his neutral air, which resembles Ivysaur's neutral air, his down air, which resembles Dr. Mario's down air, his side smash, which resembles Charizard's side smash, his down smash, which resembles Mario's down smash, and his forward air resembles another character, can't remember which one. But yes, PP has moves that resemble other characters, I just think this is interesting

domriver

Smash Lord
Wow thread really moved. But Reggie said whhhhhhhhha??? looks like imma have to watch the VGA awards!
Also so if only are 2 names on the "accumlated list" is indeed "possibly the real deal" hmmmm

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
I don't know... with a stage and music being included and what's been said, I just feel like Geno's inclusion would be the best value to have all included for $5.99. I'd personally find it kinda laughable if any other rep got in but could only bring in one or two tracks. I also love Yoko's work, and with her already working on music for this game, I feel like we could maybe get 5 SMRPG tracks minimum if Geno was picked.
Do we know how many tracks Yoko remixed for this game? If it's far lower than the average for the rest of the composers she might be involved in DLC tracks.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Has information that may or may not be founded but seems a bit questionable, just keep in mind guys that ANYONE who says they know who ANY DLC characters are should probably have brown eyes because they are so full of ****. No one has any clue, to the point where I would say that even the big leakers we trust have no idea at this point. If you choose to trust Verge or those before him who had info on stuff in the game before launch, that's up to you, but post-launch is a WHOLE different ball game and I think it would be wise if you took everything you hear or see as pure speculation with no fact behind it, regardless of what's said.

Hell, I normally trust our loving blue sailor man, but this conflicts with stuff we've recently heard and with all the leakers suddenly starting to fall apart and scramble I'd personally say that it's more likely we get no Square rep at all. This is of course speculation as well, so take it how you will, this is just based off some info I have that makes bits of what we've just heard seem rather shaky, most of it you've all seen already.

Also, now is probably a good as time as any, but I ALSO can confirm that PolarPanda PolarPanda and his/her source are 100% real and, as of this point, have yet to give us any reason to question or disagree with what has been said here.
So... sorry to ask this, but can anyone summarize what PolarPanda PolarPanda has told us so far?? It's impossible for me to keep up with this thread with how much work I have at university, so I would be thankful for a tiny summary :)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Would Nintendo truly pick Geno?

I'm just wondering, no bait here
It kind of depends. Too be honest, everyone is just guessing and we won't really get an idea of what they are thinking until the first character is shown which wont be till 2019 most likely.

The biggest negative to Geno being DLC is that outside of Smash he's kind of a no-name. Keep in mind when Geno was popular for Brawl, Super Mario RPG was about 10-11 years old. Now it's over 20 years old. Geno hasn't made an appearance since then. Nintendo may want to pick names people recognize, even if the pass is only Nintendo characters.

My gauge for this is that I think that Nintendo will mostly add contemporary characters and maybe one Retro character (think NES retro). There is a lot of characters you can pick from the current line up: Rex, Octolings, Bandana Dee, almost anyone from Zelda, ARMS, Dragalia Lost (which has a different customer base in Japan), and even Star Fox character (another series Nintendo is fond of). I think Nintendo will prioritize characters people know rather than if that popular is exclusively popular with the Smash community. Take Isabelle. Isabelle wasn't liked by the community but she is one of Nintendo's most popular characters. So much so that the most liked Smash tweet is from the Animal Crossing twitter announcing she's in Smash. I think sometimes we forget that people well known by the general audience does matter.

So I guess you can break it down like this: would Nintendo add a character that is popular with a small subset of Smash fans or will Nintendo pick characters people know and recognize, even if they aren't popular with the community? I personally lean towards no. I think Nintendo sees that a more contemporary character would drum up more interest than Geno would despite it being huge for the community. That said, I wouldn't totally rule it out either. Geno will spark a lot of discussion online as he has a die-hard fan base. Their excitement could cascade into the general Smash audience. Also, in fairness, the people buying the pass will mostly be die-hard fans to begin with. So, in summary, my answer is probably not, but don't entirely rule it out.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
So... sorry to ask this, but can anyone summarize what PolarPanda PolarPanda has told us so far?? It's impossible for me to keep up with this thread with how much work I have at university, so I would be thankful for a tiny summary :)
The summary of it is that PolarPanda knows a Nintendo Ambassador who has 2 connections within Nintendo of America. The Ambassador throughout the year has shared rumors he has heard from his friends and pretty much all of them have came true. The most recent one is that Geno is coming as DLC. (Edit): My bad I may have misinterpreted/misread something, FrosakenM has a more concrete summary. Sorry if I spread any misinfo.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
People are free to speculate but what I'm saying is if someone with authority like Vergeben or Polar just popped in and was like "okay, it's between these two and serious talks were had about the one", they'd be black bagged by the end of the day. Mentioning the real one publically is a game over. Mentioning the fake one is a game over. Mentioning both, well, is just idiotic based on this. It's an enticing trap and that's why it's believable because all the bases are covered, especially since no one knows who "won" in the end. Right or wrong, the trap springs, creating a safeguard that prevents the smart ones from talking and the dumb ones to be sliced to ribbons.
I wonder. Is there any word on a possible date to look forward to regarding this DLC character, release, trailer, announcement of an annouce date or otherwise?

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
-There were two "finalists" with it only being known that one had serious negotiations. The end result is unknown, even by people deep inside when it comes to information.
Doesn't this conflict with PolarPanda's ambassador source?

We've been working on the assumption that his source has stated that he heard Geno is DLC, but according to this new information no one at all knows who the character would be.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wonder. Is there any word on a possible date to look forward to regarding this DLC character, release, trailer, announcement of an annouce date or otherwise?
No, nothing. It's a locked office door that people know that one character walked into and nobody knows if they got the job or were handed a pink slip (and not the sexy kind).

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
No, nothing. It's a locked office door that people know that one character walked into and nobody knows if they got the job or were handed a pink slip (and not the sexy kind).
Huh, imagine if neither did. Or is there absolute concrete locked-in details definitely confirming that one got the job?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I suppose it may be harder for Crono, considering every graphical consideration would have to be run by Toriyama...whereas the Uematsu's music only needs the rights, if it's just porting it. Less involvement from other parties is better, as it reduces the cost and increases the profit margin for Square itself. You just have to weigh if Square thinks sales of Crono could balance that out. Probably not, would be my guess.

Of course, Geno has little to no overhead, and a huge fanbase, so.......
Honestly, I would argue that in terms of characters from Square, Sephiroth is to Geno what Steve is to Banjo.

In terms of being iconic, no matter how we slice it, Sephiroth is the bigger deal. Heck, I as someone that has never owned a Play Station console in my entire life have known about him since I was a kid. And with his iconic statue, having him together with Cloud in a Smash Brothers game could easily sell itself. Geno is big in the smash community sure, but there is more than just us nerds that buy this.

To give an example, even though it's not in the same category. A lot of people thought that the Venom movie that recently got out was going to flop hard because people thought "everyone" agreed that Venom didn't work without Spiderman. Well. 800+ million later and its one of the biggest hit of this year. What I mean by that is that, while he is big in our circle, we don't know how big he is in the "casual" part of the fandom so to speak which is what Nintendo might look at it first hand. Yes it's the same argument that you can make with Steve vs Banjo but unfortunately, there is a good reason for that

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Huh, imagine if neither did. Or is there absolute concrete locked-in details definitely confirming that one got the job?
Like I said, no one is 100% sure. For all we know, Square could have dynamited the whole thing but it's not likely. It was only one or the other, with substantially smaller possibilities that they went with both or cleared the table and considered someone else.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Honestly, I would argue that in terms of characters from Square, Sephiroth is to Geno what Steve is to Banjo.

In terms of being iconic, no matter how we slice it, Sephiroth is the bigger deal. Heck, I as someone that has never owned a Play Station console in my entire life have known about him since I was a kid. And with his iconic statue, having him together with Cloud in a Smash Brothers game could easily sell itself. Geno is big in the smash community sure, but there is more than just us nerds that buy this.

To give an example, even though it's not in the same category. A lot of people thought that the Venom movie that recently got out was going to flop hard because people thought "everyone" agreed that Venom didn't work without Spiderman. Well. 800+ million later and its one of the biggest hit of this year. What I mean by that is that, while he is big in our circle, we don't know how big he is in the "casual" part of the fandom so to speak which is what Nintendo might look at it first hand. Yes it's the same argument that you can make with Steve vs Banjo but unfortunately, there is a good reason for that
I honestly found that Seph/Steve comparison quite humiliating and a disservice to the character. XD
At least there were people rooting for Sephiroth before (heck, have you not seen the Brawl modding scene back in '09?)

owjies

Smash Journeyman
If we're free to speculate, then my feeling is that it comes down to whether Armor Project and Bird Studio were also involved. If they were, then the two finalists were probably Erdrick/Luminary and Crono. If it was Square only, then it would probably be Sephiroth and Geno as has been mentioned a few times. Crono and Geno both scream "fallback" as Erdrick/Luminary and Sephiroth would probably be the big sellers with Crono and Geno being just solid picks.

I dunno though, part of me would be shocked if it came down to Sephiroth over Geno. I have a really hard time thinking that they would go for a second FF7 rep. Sephiroth and One Winged Angel are legendary though and the FF7 remaster is still on the way. I still think it would be a shock to me, even with my low expectations for Geno.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The summary of it is that PolarPanda knows a Nintendo Ambassador who has 2 connections within Nintendo of America. The Ambassador throughout the year has shared rumors he has heard from his friends and pretty much all of them have came true. The most recent one is that Geno is coming as DLC.
The situation of the source being an ambassador and having two connections within NoA is true, however I cannot confirm the 'Geno is a lock as DLC' portion at all as it's not true.

I-All of his info has been stuff we never really believed. We were the server housing loz18 when everybody believed him, but our friend kept telling us he was told loz was fake and likely just an e3 showfloorsman who saw a couple thing.

-When the ken model leak came out, he told us it ruffled some feathers at NoA. He said he would stay optimistic and not believe it, but his friends jmplied jt was real and an old ken model. And that turned out to be the truth, a beta of the actual ken model w the real portrait.

-Just before the sept direct, he told us he was told AC would be the highlight of the direct, and that Smash was implied to relate to it.

-He hated verge and box plain and simple. He did, and he mostly believed grinch. Then, the day before the direct, he was incredibly depressed. He told us his friend gave him a bad warning that the direct would not get the greatest Reaction from the community and that the isaac news would be particularly sad. I chose to hold out hope that it was wrong but... you see how that turned out.
This is the only post I can find on short notice, but it gives you an idea of the earlier stuff PolarPanda PolarPanda brought to us from his source.

More recent stuff, in order of least to most recent, Panda's source told us that...

- Heard that Geno was being tossed around by NoA higher-ups
- Said that no one at all knows what the DLC is
- Said that Wave 2 is currently not planned and that we should make it known NOW that we want more content
- Said that Isaac was set to be an AT from very early on

There you go, that's about the jist of it. If I can find time/an easier method to find the exact quote I will and I will re-share them later on.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
The situation of the source being an ambassador and having two connections within NoA is true, however I cannot confirm the 'Geno is a lock as DLC' portion at all as it's not true.
Ah, my bad then. Must've misread it. Sorry if I spread any misinfo

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I honestly found that Seph/Steve comparison quite humiliating and a disservice to the character. XD
At least there were people rooting for Sephiroth before (heck, have you not seen the Brawl modding scene back in '09?)
Lol, I have. And sure, its a bit disservice to the dude, but you get what I mean xD

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think i already made my statement for wave 2 by buying the fighter pass already. :D anyone else buy it already? or pre ordered it?
I didn't bought the fighter pass yet.

If Geno is in , I'm buying it right away if I can.
If he isn't , I'll buy the characters that I can , and the ones I like. I don't want to do the same mistake that I did in Sm4sh , I ended up hating the second wave of characters for balance reasons and SERIOUSLY STOP WITH THE SWORD , A CHAINSAW SWORD ON FIRE IS STILL A SWORD. (But at least Bayonetta introduced me to her games , so that's always something.)

I'm just wondering if any side-DLC content will exist , like Mii costumes. If so , I would buy the Geno costume if it came back. No joke , I would co-main Mii Gunner if that's all we could get lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Doesn't this conflict with PolarPanda's ambassador source?

We've been working on the assumption that his source has stated that he heard Geno is DLC, but according to this new information no one at all knows who the character would be.
They have said that they've heard the name but, then again, we also have a list of names that have been heard. A lot of people are making guesses, asspulls, and just plain ol' office talk about who they want without knowing anything. For example, Hitagi talked about DQ characters he "heard" a lot. On a surface level, this doesn't mean anything because it's just names floating in space and no one had dared to make definitive comments or explain extra context. That said, it's a collective pool.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I think i already made my statement for wave 2 by buying the fighter pass already. :D anyone else buy it already? or pre ordered it?
I haven’t even pre-ordered the game itself yet, I’m literally waiting until the last minute because of the Game Awards.

Basically, if there’s no DLC announcement there, I’ll get the base game digitally and make sure it preloads before midnight. If there’s a DLC announcement that I don’t particularly care for, I’ll do the same. But if the DLC announcement is for a character I want(whether Geno or otherwise), I’ll go ahead and grab the bundle.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I've told a lot of people this in DMs already, but I believe I should make it publically clear.
I likely will not know what will be revealed at VGAs. Directs are something my source hears about for sure, but VGA videos/reveals are a bit different.
So if there's a reveal at VGAs, it'll likely be a big surprise.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
I've told a lot of people this in DMs already, but I believe I should make it publically clear.
I likely will not know what will be revealed at VGAs. Directs are something my source hears about for sure, but VGA videos/reveals are a bit different.
Smash Tour 2 will be revealed at VGA and the whole world will clap (jk, but thank you Polar for the update).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, it's nice to get a surprise for a change. Shame that so much was leaked early.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anything that doesn't have people act like the sky is falling whenever Minecraft is brought up.

At least Fortnite is gonna be out of the running now because of dance moves, of all things.

That's a given. Nothing from THAT gets leaked, it'd be a fiasco.

Okay, since I

Well, it's nice to get a surprise for a change. Shame that so much was leaked early.
Well, I can say I didn't fake surprise at all. :ultkrool::ultrichter:

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
No. The person who asked has been approved to share info with. You haven't. As I've said before, this isn't to insult anyone but because of the how sensitive the info is, the circle has to be kept small and I was lucky enough to be approved largely because of how long I've been here and how I was a mod twice in the past. I'm also a dead end because I only talk about stuff here.

HolyKnight HolyKnight I promised Polar that I wouldn't reveal anything positive or negative about Geno no matter what was said. I'm here because this thread has more or less been my "home" for 12 years. If Geno was confirmed or discomfirmed, you all wouldn't know unless I was approved to share that info and chances are it'd be said long before it reached my ears.
ah that makes sense, well, either way, im holding on to hope until its dashed on the rocks no matter what anyone tells me. 11 years ive been waiting for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom