• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Here are the big takeaways:

-Three on the "list" are real, everyone else is heavily implied to be water cooler gossip.

-One was eliminated early and fairly publically. The creators tried to get Square to change their mind. Square squashed this pretty quick and with some speculating that this made Square a Grumpy Gus and made negotiations more difficult all around.

-There were two "finalists" with it only being known that one had serious negotiations. The end result is unknown, even by people deep inside when it comes to information.

-Based on this, if anyone speaks definitively about any of the 7 aside from the one that was turned down:

-If you've been paying attention, the rejected character has been talked about a lot to the point that just about everyone is comfortable saying "it's not them." People don't even butt heads about it aside from the one guy who's increasingly becoming a loose cannon and people are slowly starting to resent because of sheer carelessness.
Aaahhh, pretty sure I get the picture, here. This is good stuff, right here.

Fatman, we don't deserve you. You or that majestic, white knight insider known as PolarPanda PolarPanda . You guys are our Starsend Saviors.

...and no, I don't think I'm exaggerating too much.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Been lurking here for the last 50 pages or so, I'm very excited to see where this new development is headed.
Let's hope it's good news for everyone's favorite puppet.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Sora would make sense as the dumped one. Even Nomura is afraid of SE's rejection. Most likely because Disney is even more of a hassle to deal with.
That was my feeling too. My mind immediately went to that Shinji Hashimoto "Yes!" tweet. Perhaps there was some sort of internal campaign going on.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are those 3 in that list that showed up?
Which one was cut immediatelly?
The rejected one is out there if you've been following everything but I can't say the final two because everyone that has that info is sweating bullets as if they can feel fingers about to grip around their throat. This is a big reason why even the more reliable insiders have been treating the SE content like a landmine and not made big statements publically. This is Lazer focused and, figuratively, a sniper would know where exactly to aim if someone was dumb enough to be like "oh, it's these two guys!"

Lati

Smash Rookie

-Three on the "list" are real, everyone else is heavily implied to be water cooler gossip.

-One was eliminated early and fairly publically. The creators tried to get Square to change their mind. Square squashed this pretty quick and with some speculating that this made Square a Grumpy Gus and made negotiations more difficult all around.

-There were two "finalists" with it only being known that one had serious negotiations. The end result is unknown, even by people deep inside when it comes to information.

-Based on this, if anyone speaks definitively about any of the 7 aside from the one that was turned down:

-If you've been paying attention, the rejected character has been talked about a lot to the point that just about everyone is comfortable saying "it's not them." People don't even butt heads about it aside from the one guy who's increasingly becoming a loose cannon and people are slowly starting to resent because of sheer carelessness.

-Bottom line based on this information: one's real, one's leak bait, and another is just flat out of the running. Of the remaining two, nobody is totally sure who is real and people have been super careful not to make any strong statement regarding this.
Breaking my 3-year streak of lurking just to thank you for sharing this all with us, it's starting to sound like everyone is closing in on who this mysterious Square rep is going to be.

I understand you probably can't name the final two, but assuming Sora is the "rejected" character, are you able to publicly rule out any of the other characters in the list, i.e. Crono or Sephiroth?

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
WOW, we have 115 guests! That's insane!

Ah, it dropped down to 94. Still a lot!

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Been lurking here for the last 50 pages or so, I'm very excited to see where this new development is headed.
Let's hope it's good news for everyone's favorite puppet.
Welcome to the Geno Thread! It is pretty exciting huh?

Breaking my 3-year streak of lurking just to thank you for sharing this all with us, it's starting to sound like everyone is closing in on who this mysterious Square rep is going to be.

I understand you probably can't name the final two, but assuming Sora is the "rejected" character, are you able to publicly rule out any of the other characters in the list, i.e. Crono or Sephiroth?
Welcome to you as well! I think we should not pry at this moment. If we are not careful, someone is bound to slip up or even say the "right name" jokingly, which could arouse suspicion.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The rejected one is out there if you've been following everything but I can't say the final two because everyone that has that info is sweating bullets as if they can feel fingers about to grip around their throat. This is a big reason why even the more reliable insiders have been treating the SE content like a landmine and not made big statements publically. This is Lazer focused and, figuratively, a sniper would know where exactly to aim if someone was dumb enough to be like "oh, it's these two guys!"
All I can ask is, can we get excited by the two candidates?
This also checks out that situation with the severe witch hunt S-E usually does with moles in the company

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
After all theses new information...

For me , it's either Geno or Sephiroth. They would be both good addition and would start the fighter pass with a bang. (BUT FOR THE LOVE OF NAYRU , MAKE SEPHIROTH BALANCED.)

Potatu

Smash Apprentice

For me , it's either Geno or Sephiroth. They would be both good addition and would start the fighter pass with a bang. (BUT FOR THE LOVE OF NAYRU , MAKE SEPHIROTH BALANCED.)
Watch his sword be bigger than Marth's grab range

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

Yep, it is definitely between those two. If it is Sephy though they better put in one winged angel.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

He'll either be top tier or low tier. It will be hard for him to be in the middle. But I do think Sakurai would do the character justice while being fair.

I'd imagine responding to that could be a potential landmine as well considering this thread.
I may have misworded that, but there are characters in the list that are less hype and sleeper picks. Saying that it could be exciting wouldn't pinpoint two characters, as there are some that fit the description.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
If it's that treacherous, then I hesitate to even speculate. However, based on all the research we've done in this thread about the various characters, I think it's possible to make two groups of two based on whether other parties were involved in the negotiations or not.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
This web of intrigue spins deeper and deeper the more I look. Thank you for keeping us informed as best you can!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

I'm inclined to think DQ is out, so for me, it's Geno, Sephiroth or Crono. I certainly wouldn't sleep on Crono.

...that said, Sephiroth almost seems like the most "realistic," if you will. Like, I can see it end up being him just as a huge cosmic middle finger to us, on the level of PP, but worse.

Then again, being realistic could make him the perfect leakbait...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Watch his sword be bigger than Marth's grab range
I'm inclined to think DQ is out, so for me, it's Geno, Sephiroth or Crono. I certainly wouldn't sleep on Crono.

...that said, Sephiroth almost seems like the most "realistic," if you will. Like, I can see it end up being him just as a huge cosmic middle finger to us, on the level of PP, but worse.

Then again, being realistic could make him the perfect leakbait...
I mean, they want to avoid balancing snafus like with :ultbayonetta:, so I imagine he'll get "ha ha ha NOPE"d before long.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Nope, neutral B is Heartless Angel. Long start-up, but instant 300% if it hits.
So basically Ridley's down-B/Roy neutral-B on steroids. Alright , I'm going to appreciate the 3 small months of Ultimate's online without god destroyers beeing 70% of Ultimate's playerbase lol

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Unless Fatman says something else, my guess would be it's between Sephiroth or Geno. I mean, with Sephiroth the only "big" hurdle is the F7s composer that has retired due to illness. With Crono, you have stuff like Bird Studio (Akira Toriyama's production company)

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Would Nintendo truly pick Geno?

I'm just wondering, no bait here

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Dude is the protagonist of what is hailed as one of the best video games ever made and is seen as shaping RPG's
I have no issue with your other statements my issue comes in you saying Crono wouldn't have an impact
You're kidding yourself if you think he wouldn't. He has an immeasurable legacy even today.
Did you forget that SMRPG had the biggest impact on the West for RPGs? I'm not trying to be rude but just the sales figures in 1996 show that SMRPG outsold CT by leaps and bounds and was the single game to restore Square's faith in having a Western market for what they do best. It's amazing what making a game in a genre you excel at that revolves around a character a demographic loves can do for your business.

Geno would have way MORE of an impact for many reasons we've stated before, but Geno's gotten many more "bandwagoners" recently so I think he'd even be more recognized than "oH GrEaT aNoThEr AnImE sWoRdSmAn!"

So he runs or dashes 12 feet away instantly like Fox and Falco? Because that would be awesome. Now I wish I had a dream about Geno's reveal! I see people on YouTube all the time talk about having a dream about Geno's reveal trailer.
I had two really detailed dreams a while back, and I had this really strange one on a day I was sick as a dog, but I kinda don't want to bring it up here as I'm sure it violates some rating system somewhere.

-Bottom line based on this information: one's real, one's leak bait, and another is just flat out of the running. Of the remaining two, nobody is totally sure who is real and people have been super careful not to make any strong statement regarding this.
Jesus Christo Popeye, I love you but **** if I don't hate you at the same time. Before it was debating what would be best for Nintendo and Square and we had a bunch of names and therefore ways to gleam insight. Now we get information that is likely more true but tossing pretty much ALL OF THIS out the window. Sure, even if the three are on the list, it still changes everything because we don't have solid names: we can only assume which ones are which rather than having three names and trying to plug in which ones go with which. I get it because, if you DID give us the names, it's likely super obvious which names plug into where...so you can't say a goddamn thing really and are forced to be cryptic.

Also I love how everyone is automatically like 'Yo, the one who got shot down faster than my nerdy friend at prom was Sora' but I see it completely differently: sure, it could be Sora and Nomura could have talked to Square to reconsider but what if it was Geno they immediately shot down? It would make no sense since Nintendo still has the rights and his likeness is in Ultimate already, but what if that was the best they could do via negotiations and we are getting a DQ rep?

Side note, I never answered the pie thing, but I haven't had much pie experience: I enjoy desserts that are not pies or cakes more, mainly stuff I can grab individually and shove in my mouth like cookies. However, I have had SOME pie experience, and nothing has beaten Key-Lime Pie for me. Just so freaking good.

I plan to answer the Smash moments movement, but this is likely pretty long already so to be continued...

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Did you forget that SMRPG had the biggest impact on the West for RPGs? I'm not trying to be rude but just the sales figures in 1996 show that SMRPG outsold CT by leaps and bounds and was the single game to restore Square's faith in having a Western market for what they do best. It's amazing what making a game in a genre you excel at that revolves around a character a demographic loves can do for your business.

Geno would have way MORE of an impact for many reasons we've stated before, but Geno's gotten many more "bandwagoners" recently so I think he'd even be more recognized than "oH GrEaT aNoThEr AnImE sWoRdSmAn!"

I had two really detailed dreams a while back, and I had this really strange one on a day I was sick as a dog, but I kinda don't want to bring it up here as I'm sure it violates some rating system somewhere.

Jesus Christo Popeye, I love you but **** if I don't hate you at the same time. Before it was debating what would be best for Nintendo and Square and we had a bunch of names and therefore ways to gleam insight. Now we get information that is likely more true but tossing pretty much ALL OF THIS out the window. Sure, even if the three are on the list, it still changes everything because we don't have solid names: we can only assume which ones are which rather than having three names and trying to plug in which ones go with which. I get it because, if you DID give us the names, it's likely super obvious which names plug into where...so you can't say a goddamn thing really and are forced to be cryptic.

Also I love how everyone is automatically like 'Yo, the one who got shot down faster than my nerdy friend at prom was Sora' but I see it completely differently: sure, it could be Sora and Nomura could have talked to Square to reconsider but what if it was Geno they immediately shot down? It would make no sense since Nintendo still has the rights and his likeness is in Ultimate already, but what if that was the best they could do via negotiations and we are getting a DQ rep?

Side note, I never answered the pie thing, but I haven't had much pie experience: I enjoy desserts that are not pies or cakes more, mainly stuff I can grab individually and shove in my mouth like cookies. However, I have had SOME pie experience, and nothing has beaten Key-Lime Pie for me. Just so freaking good.

I plan to answer the Smash moments movement, but this is likely pretty long already so to be continued...
Actually, the RPG that shifted S-E's approach to the West was FFVI. SMRPG solidified a new generation of RPG players that would comprise the majority of the early Paper Mario and PSX FF fanbases.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People are free to speculate but what I'm saying is if someone with authority like Vergeben or Polar just popped in and was like "okay, it's between these two and serious talks were had about the one", they'd be black bagged by the end of the day. Mentioning the real one publically is a game over. Mentioning the fake one is a game over. Mentioning both, well, is just idiotic based on this. It's an enticing trap and that's why it's believable because all the bases are covered, especially since no one knows who "won" in the end. Right or wrong, the trap springs, creating a safeguard that prevents the smart ones from talking and the dumb ones to be sliced to ribbons.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , someone previously asked you if he/she could PM you, right?
May I do the same? I'm trying to send a message but it doesn't let me. I'm new to this board, so I'm still learning how some of the tools here work.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Unless Fatman says something else, my guess would be it's between Sephiroth or Geno. I mean, with Sephiroth the only "big" hurdle is the F7s composer that has retired due to illness. With Crono, you have stuff like Bird Studio (Akira Toriyama's production company)
I suppose it may be harder for Crono, considering every graphical consideration would have to be run by Toriyama...whereas the Uematsu's music only needs the rights, if it's just porting it. Less involvement from other parties is better, as it reduces the cost and increases the profit margin for Square itself. You just have to weigh if Square thinks sales of Crono could balance that out. Probably not, would be my guess.

Of course, Geno has little to no overhead, and a huge fanbase, so.......

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Would Nintendo truly pick Geno?

I'm just wondering, no bait here
I believe they would. So far FF7 and SMRPG are the only Square franchises with content in Smash. Nintendo already opted for the Mii Costume in 4 and the Geno/Mallow spirit in Ult. They also consider Geno and Mallow as part of the Mario franchise, showing some loyalty to the characters on Nintendo's end. Would Geno be their first choice? I'm not so sure; however, I don't think Nintendo would reject Geno, especially if Square would only budge on a couple characters.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Nope, neutral B is Heartless Angel. Long start-up, but instant 300% if it hits.
down b is sin harvest, which puts you at 999% and gives you old pokemon trainer fatigue. it takes 6 seconds to go off tho, and requires los.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Sephiroth's picture:
Sephiroth-dissidia012.jpg
His sword is longer than 3 Geno aligned together on the ground , how do you make that balanced. People complained about Cloud's B-air range , but Sephiroth B-air would cover half of Final Destination lol.

Either they reduced the length of the sword (But I think his long sword is still iconic...) or make a movest more based around magic... I dunno , I still need to finish FF7 , I haven't encountered him yet.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
People are free to speculate but what I'm saying is if someone with authority like Vergeben or Polar just popped in and was like "okay, it's between these two and serious talks were had about the one", they'd be black bagged by the end of the day. Mentioning the real one publically is a game over. Mentioning the fake one is a game over. Mentioning both, well, is just idiotic based on this. It's an enticing trap and that's why it's believable because all the bases are covered, especially since no one knows who "won" in the end. Right or wrong, the trap springs, creating a safeguard that prevents the smart ones from talking and the dumb ones to be sliced to ribbons.
well, since you are still here, im assuming Geno is at least on that list. hopefully we don't get anyone else, because honestly, id rather have nothing than not Geno. kinda like how i would have rather not gotten Blue Mage in ff14 than getting a blue mage that cannot do raids or dungeons.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Sephiroth's picture:
His sword is longer than 3 Geno aligned together on the ground , how do you make that balanced. People complained about Cloud's B-air range , but Sephiroth B-air would cover half of Final Destination lol.

Either they reduced the length of the sword (But I think his long sword is still iconic...) or make a movest more based around magic... I dunno , I still need to finish FF7 , I haven't encountered him yet.
This is the size of the sword in the expanded universe.
The size for Smash would be from the original game. The Sephiroth thread has the image from the final encounter which shows the sword's range. It's big, but definitely a lot more fair.
Sakurai also seems to be going way more on the "faithful to the original" side of things, which is good, given the expanded universe shouldn't have existed at all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , someone previously asked you if he/she could PM you, right?
May I do the same? I'm trying to send a message but it doesn't let me. I'm new to this board, so I'm still learning how some of the tools here work.
No. The person who asked has been approved to share info with. You haven't. As I've said before, this isn't to insult anyone but because of the how sensitive the info is, the circle has to be kept small and I was lucky enough to be approved largely because of how long I've been here and how I was a mod twice in the past. I'm also a dead end because I only talk about stuff here.

HolyKnight HolyKnight I promised Polar that I wouldn't reveal anything positive or negative about Geno no matter what was said. I'm here because this thread has more or less been my "home" for 12 years. If Geno was confirmed or discomfirmed, you all wouldn't know unless I was approved to share that info and chances are it'd be said long before it reached my ears.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
No. The person who asked has been approved to share info with. You haven't. As I've said before, this isn't to insult anyone but because of the how sensitive the info is, the circle has to be kept small and I was lucky enough to be approved largely because of how long I've been here and how I was a mod twice in the past. I'm also a dead end because I only talk about stuff here.
Is this info from PolarPanda PolarPanda or from another source entirely?

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I suppose it may be harder for Crono, considering every graphical consideration would have to be run by Toriyama...whereas the Uematsu's music only needs the rights, if it's just porting it. Less involvement from other parties is better, as it reduces the cost and increases the profit margin for Square itself. You just have to weigh if Square thinks sales of Crono could balance that out. Probably not, would be my guess.

Of course, Geno has little to no overhead, and a huge fanbase, so.......
Yeah. I mean I pretty much think the same. It's Sephiroth, Crono, or Geno to me. I guess I could see Sephiroth maybe, it'd be the first time a third party got a unique second rep though. I think Crono is only happening if he gets a new game/sequel, which could maybe happen. Geno also has a chance as well, but it depends on everything that went down. It's all pretty interesting though

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
...Well the plot certainly thickened since last night. Liking where this speculation is headed.

Also about the whole Mewtwo DLC thing, I think it's important to remember that Lucas was announced nearly an entire month BEFORE Mewtwo was available to the public. Just some food for thought.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well I don't blame ya, the general thread eventually circles into "MAYBE POPEYE CAN GET IN" arguments every so often.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
This is the size of the sword in the expanded universe.
The size for Smash would be from the original game. The Sephiroth thread has the image from the final encounter which shows the sword's range. It's big, but definitely a lot more fair.
Sakurai also seems to be going way more on the "faithful to the original" side of things, which is good, given the expanded universe shouldn't have existed at all.
Oh , I see! Thanks for the information.

I'm just scared to get a "Cloud Sm4sh DLC" situation all over again. Of course we're always going to get top tier characters , and characters with stupidly strong tools , but Sephirtoh kinda scare me.
But to be honest , Palutena , depise beeing a godess is still a low mid tier/low tier...

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think Geno is one of the 2 names. There's naturally going to be a ton of bias here since I'm hopeful for Geno, but I mean it's a character that likely did really well on the ballot and already was made into a Mii costume. They already had to talk to Square to use him in that way, so why not go all the way and see if you can make him a fighter? Especially if the Mii costume sold well enough. Even if he ends up not being the rep, I'm sure at the very least they would've tried to talk to Square about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom