• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You're doing god's work, mate. Keep telling people this. I see way too many people just assuming the 29 is a pipe dream and ignoring it.

Also, if Sora got in, he could possibly have a skin for KH 1 2 and 3, and possibly his other 5 costumes could be drive forms and take up IDs if they aren't simple recolors. Banjo could have a modern and classic design, any character that has 2 possible gender versions would take up 2, like Steve, any customizable protag, etc. Bandana dee might have a non-bandana outfit? Other than that, I can't think of much.
You forgot the sailor hat a Dee had in Revenge of Meta Knight.

I wish I could fit your info in my sig, but I'll do my best to vouch for you.

As I understand the situation, Nintendo picked the characters, and then Sakurai had final say as to whether he could make those characters work on a fighter level. That could mean he was given a list, but the way he phrased it sounds like Nintendo gave him five picks, and he threw out ones that wouldn't work, and was then given more.

Granted, we have no way of knowing how it really went down, but what we do know is: Nintendo made the choices, and Sakurai had veto power.
Goes to show, NOA needs a better translator for Sakurai...

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
The most DLC characters you can see is 5 when we already have 6 confirmed before release?
I'm talking about the confirmed 5, ignore Piranha Plant because it's free for now, but we'd be lucky if we got 11 DLC characters.
There are 29 slots, and they are IDs, not characters. People really need to stop spreading this misinformation. IDs include alternate outfits, like Bayo/Cloud/Ike take up 2 ID slots, and Bowser Jr takes up 8. This exact same thing happened in Smash 4, and ALL OF THE SLOTS WERE FILLED. This doesn't necessarily mean they will again, but they very likely will. If one of the 5 fighters in the fighter pack took up 8 IDs, and the other 4 took up two, we'd already be at 15. Also, these could point to either echo fighters, or possibly alt skins for existing characters. The "29" is *IDs*, not characters.
Relax, I didn't catch up in time with the slots being IDs. And yes, I know a character can take up more than one ID slot. I was told wrong about them being DLC slots. I read about the post after I posted my 29 slots comment. Here, I'll say it again because you want to be bold with your comments, too.
I read about the "29" IDs after I posted my comment.
Sorry for misreading the ID slots.
Wow. Well, that's the dumbest thing I've read all day. That assumption is on the level of "Sakurai talked about playing X game on Twitter, X character is confirmed!".
Yep, speaking of that, reminds me of the time when people thought Sora was confirmed for Smash when some guy asked Mr. Hashimoto if Sora can come to Smash. People were mistranslating it and thought it said, "Is it happening?" Hashimoto said yes, and people thought Sora was coming after that small Tweet. NOW, what the tweet really said was, "Mr. Hashimoto, could you make this happen?" Hashimoto said yes, HOWEVER, he acknowledged and said COULD, not can; it means it doesn't have to happen. Then the tweet was deleted because people were misinterpreting and thought Sora's confirmed, but it was deleted because the tweet was getting spammed and because of the misinterpreting, so Mr. Hashimoto deleted it. Then some guy, I will not state his name, on YouTube keeps telling me, "Sora is already confirmed because of the deleted tweet by Mr. Hashimoto!" And he always says, "Square won't want Geno because he won't make them money, plus they removed his cameo in the Superstar Saga remake." Lmao, Square didn't even touch that remake, only AlphaDream did; the reason why they didn't get Geno's cameo in the remake is because he was very expensive, about as much as the Mii costume. Oh yeah, he said Sora would make them money when in reality, Sora can't; it would make Disney money because they own him. In this case, Geno would actually be making Square money because THEY own him, Sora can't because they don't own him. lol

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
You're doing god's work, mate. Keep telling people this. I see way too many people just assuming the 29 is a pipe dream and ignoring it.

Also, if Sora got in, he could possibly have a skin for KH 1 2 and 3, and possibly his other 5 costumes could be drive forms and take up IDs if they aren't simple recolors. Banjo could have a modern and classic design, any character that has 2 possible gender versions would take up 2, like Steve, any customizable protag, etc. Bandana dee might have a non-bandana outfit? Other than that, I can't think of much.
I’d love to see alternate Zelda skins based on BotW and return of TP
And of course TP Link or the OoT so he can have that fly blue earring in.
Toon Link in his starting clothes would be cool too.
BEARDED RYU
Even though I’m not too jazzed about Ken I’d like to see him in his SF5 look

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I even quoted you, and it's not even working. I hope people don't frequently skim through too many paragraphs around here.

On that note, what characters could possibly fill so many slots with alts?

Besides the Dragon Quest Heroes, that is.
The height and physical proportions of "Hero" are all over the place to the point that no two of their swords are the same (plus there's several that don't use them) so an Alpha/Koopaling scenario wouldn't work for them.

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Hero

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
While I don't think spirits deconfirm any characters, I do think the idea that people have had regarding them as such has to do with sakurai's comment on them when they first were announced. something along the lines of "a way to simulate battle with characters that couldn't be fighters" and people are taking that to the extreme of all spirits are deconfirmed. I think it's true for the base roster, but DLC is DLC, and that means anything is possible. that's how we got the whole mewtwo and lucas thing in smash 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The height and physical proportions of "Hero" are all over the place to the point that no two of their swords are the same (plus there's several that don't use them) so an Alpha/Koopaling scenario wouldn't work for them.

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Hero
I'm talking the grown-up ones, the kid heroes wouldn't work at all (apart from the grown-up one in V).

In regards to height, I suppose Sakurai could use creative liberties. Different swords are a problem, so Erdrick would be the only sensible Hero pick given this.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As mentioned earlier I think this kinda helps Geno tbh
My stance is that it's absolutely neutral. It could work in his favor, could work against him. I just don't think "x" character will sell millions works all that well as an argument when that's going to be true of the majority of picks for Ultimate's DLC. I think it really just comes down to Nintendo's priorities for the DLC. Do they care about fan requests going forward? I mean they devoted a ton of the base game to fan fulfillment already, I could see them going a different direction with the DLC. I could also see them continuing the streak of fulfilling fan requests as well.

And unfortunately we have to wait until the first DLC character announcement to get a sense of where things are heading.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There are 29 slots, and they are IDs, not characters. People really need to stop spreading this misinformation. IDs include alternate outfits, like Bayo/Cloud/Ike take up 2 ID slots, and Bowser Jr takes up 8. This exact same thing happened in Smash 4, and ALL OF THE SLOTS WERE FILLED. This doesn't necessarily mean they will again, but they very likely will. If one of the 5 fighters in the fighter pack took up 8 IDs, and the other 4 took up two, we'd already be at 15. Also, these could point to either echo fighters, or possibly alt skins for existing characters. The "29" is *IDs*, not characters.
That's a good explanation/clarification. Still though it's good news because it could mean free updates for echos or alt costumes aside from the ones in the base game which could be cool.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That's a good explanation/clarification. Still though it's good news because it could mean free updates for echos or alt costumes aside from the ones in the base game which could be cool.
I love echo fighters and alt skins so much, I hope to god they do more of them. Especially if they were free, that'd be awesome.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
While I don't think spirits deconfirm any characters, I do think the idea that people have had regarding them as such has to do with sakurai's comment on them when they first were announced. something along the lines of "a way to simulate battle with characters that couldn't be fighters" and people are taking that to the extreme of all spirits are deconfirmed. I think it's true for the base roster, but DLC is DLC, and that means anything is possible. that's how we got the whole mewtwo and lucas thing in smash 4.
Yeah, Sakurai isn't very specific when he explains stuff, going in with "Not too many newcomers" and "slowing down the character reveals", was a little hard to understand because we didn't know if there were more characters to reveal later on or if we were getting character reveals in October, and both of them were wrong.

But I, too, think the same thing. Spirits are the trophies of Smash Ultimate, and it happened with Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4, so spirits shouldn't deconfirm anyone. If this is true, then thousands are basically deconfirmed. As long as you're not an assist trophy, then you should still have a shot at being a newcomer. Like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said, they could've made Geno or Mallow assist trophies since they have the rights to use them, but they decided not to make them assist trophies because they might have plans for Geno or Mallow being DLC.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking the grown-up ones, the kid heroes wouldn't work at all (apart from the grown-up one in V).

In regards to height, I suppose Sakurai could use creative liberties. Different swords are a problem, so Erdrick would be the only sensible Hero pick given this.
I don’t really see DQ being a likely choice, but I think one of the heroes from DQH had an Erdrick Armor skin and I think that would be a good choice.

The placeholders could be just place holders and mean nothing, or be reserved for Mii creations? This reminds me of Naruto Ultimate when there was a bunch of empty spots and it ended up being nothing lol

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Goes to show, NOA needs a better translator for Sakurai...
A lot of it is just that, as a rabid fanbase, we tend to dissect everything said about Smash on a microscopic level. So even if Sakurai's translation was 1:1, we'd likely STILL obsess over his meaning. Even when he outright states facts, we theorize, lol.

In this case, we're concerned about his meaning because it might mean Nintendo picked the DLC, and they might not have picked Geno. But honestly, even if they made the calls, he's a pretty likely pick for them. Because:

-the super popular SMRPG tweet

-Sakurai's old poll, where Geno was 3rd

-the ballot data, which most likely has Geno up there

-Sales of the Mii costume, which could be huge (And likely are--even costume holdouts like me bought it.)

Basically, there's a lot of data they can pull from that swings in Geno's favor, and they have more in-depth stuff than we do. People are underestimating his value by saying Nintendo wouldn't consider him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of 4, here's something funny to consider: currently, the amount of announced DLC characters (PP + pass) are exactly 6, the same number 4 had.

The big difference is back then, we didn't get many announced right off the bat.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Im honestly getting tired as hell with the additions of swordfighters to the game, hoping to god Nintendo did not choose another one because the community will not be pleased with another possible broken swordfighter
More unique fighters the better! There are many swordsmans

Here is the Mallow spirit battle:
MALLOW :D :( I want to seehim in full 3d hmmm

Probably is possessed by...himself.

Has anyone seen him in any cutscenes?
LOL Cloud possessed cloud spirit.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This reminds me of Naruto Ultimate when there was a bunch of empty spots and it ended up being nothing lol
SOMETHING is better than nothing. Oh, what a horrible night it would be to have nothing as those empty slots.
A lot of it is just that, as a rabid fanbase, we tend to dissect everything said about Smash on a microscopic level. So even if Sakurai's translation was 1:1, we'd likely STILL obsess over his meaning. Even when he outright states facts, we theorize, lol.

In this case, we're concerned about his meaning because it might mean Nintendo picked the DLC, and they might not have picked Geno. But honestly, even if they made the calls, he's a pretty likely pick for them. Because:

-the super popular SMRPG tweet

-Sakurai's old poll, where Geno was 3rd

-the ballot data, which most likely has Geno up there

-Sales of the Mii costume, which could be huge (And likely are--even costume holdouts like me bought it.)

Basically, there's a lot of data they can pull from that swings in Geno's favor, and they have more in-depth stuff than we do. People are underestimating his value by saying Nintendo wouldn't consider him.
Geno and Chocobo's costumes were the easiest to get because it was just two of them, and I believe it was the cheapest. No doubt that the Mii costume was the most hyped and definitely sold the most, and we can't forget Sakurai and Nintendo gave it a special reveal with a splash screen and with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms playing in the background of his Mii costume debut. I bought the costume, everyone I know did, even you did. I'm most certain that it sold very well, but it was mostly because of the Geno Mii costume, not the Chocobo hat.

D

Deleted member

Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this yet but there’s a Ness Spirit but with his old EB art, so if Geno were in the game it shouldn’t be a problem. There’s the “old” version of the character and the “new” one
Geno's chances are looking MUCH better now!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Geno and Chocobo's costumes were the easiest to get because it was just two of them, and I believe it was the cheapest. No doubt that the Mii costume was the most hyped and definitely sold the most, and we can't forget Sakurai and Nintendo gave it a special reveal with a splash screen and with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms playing in the background of his Mii costume debut. I bought the costume, everyone I know did, even you did. I'm most certain that it sold very well, but it was mostly because of the Geno Mii costume, not the Chocobo hat.
Oh, most definitely. I never got the Chocobo hat at all, or any other costumes for that matter--they could be bought out of the packs for .99 cents, IIRC.

I'm positive that every Geno fan bought that costume, and there ARE quite a few of us. If you consider the sales of Smash 4, even if those who bought the costume only hit five thousand...that's a 5,000 dollars right there. Now multiply that by 6 if he's a character. Add to that the already huge install base of Smash Ultimate, and the potential for profit looks pretty darn good.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this yet but there’s a Ness Spirit but with his old EB art, so if Geno were in the game it shouldn’t be a problem. There’s the “old” version of the character and the “new” one
Exactly, that's what I said earlier. Some characters have old artwork designs as spirits and are already in the game with a new look or render. Geno's going to be getting a new Smash render if he's a fighter, so keeping his old character artwork as a spirit makes so much sense. If I saw a new render for Geno's spirit, I would've abandoned my hope for his DLC inclusion.

Retro18

Smash Rookie
Proof/Source if you don't mind me asking?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Proof/Source if you don't mind me asking?
https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(EarthBound_series)

Check fighter spirits. You can find a list of all the spirits on there, as well.

Is it a "fighter spirit"? I've seen people online making distinctions between fighter spirits and other spirits in terms of function. Is that true?
From what I gather, fighter spirits are just for the art, and don't modify stats and such. So yes, there is a functional difference.

Does that effect DLC chance, though? I'd say no. As others have stated, DLC characters likely won't interact with WoL, and even if they do...well, Chrom can be in six places at once, so all rules are pointless, lol.

Last edited:

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is it a "fighter spirit"? I've seen people online making distinctions between fighter spirits and other spirits in terms of function. Is that true?
Every character and ALT that's a separate character has a fighter spirit. Bayonetta and Cloud even have ones for their alternate costumes. It doesn't mean much because, as we've already talked about, several of the DLC characters had trophies in Smash 4 and the DLC characters were excluded from having custom moves. That said, DLC don't have to follow the "rules" that the rest of the cast do.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
That's a fighter spirit though. The reward for beating classic mode. I don't believe that is equip-able...

Edit: To be clear I'm still Geno-optimist, I just don't think the fighter spirit argument helps or hinders.
I know. :) He asked for the Ness spirit, so I was just showing where it was. But yeah, I agree, fighter spirits don't change much. Really, I don't think any spirits do, at least not as much as some think they do.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I've always had an oddly similar conversation when it comes to Mario RPG. Somebody would ask me: "So what's your favorite game?" Me: "Mario RPG" Them: "OMG I LOVE that game!" or "NO WAY, me too!" It would always be this super exclamatory response. This is obviously a small sample size, but that's why I've always believed that Geno and Mario RPG's popularity is underestimated. He's certainly an obscure character to younger fans, but to the mid 20–30 something crowd Geno and Mallow had their place in a lot of childhoods. It's not just the Smash community.

Even though I'm not really sure what having spirits means for Geno's chances, I think the inclusion of Mallow is important overall. It shows that Sakurai et al. know that this sustained demand is not just about Geno as a character, it's about a desire for more Mario RPG content in Smash and beyond.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Just how likely are we for a smash bro dlc announcement at the VGA's on the 6th? I keep getting mixed answers from the other threads about it saying they might wait till p. plant comes out for any of that but others argue the hype needs to reach even higher before release. What do you guys think?

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there was a DLC announcement at the VGA that was outside of the fighter’s pass. Like for additional mii costumes and stages.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just how likely are we for a smash bro dlc announcement at the VGA's on the 6th? I keep getting mixed answers from the other threads about it saying they might wait till p. plant comes out for any of that but others argue the hype needs to reach even higher before release. What do you guys think?
At least 40-to-70%. It helps that nothing's been said or leaked about worldwide reveals that will happen outside nominations.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Oh, most definitely. I never got the Chocobo hat at all, or any other costumes for that matter--they could be bought out of the packs for .99 cents, IIRC.

I'm positive that every Geno fan bought that costume, and there ARE quite a few of us. If you consider the sales of Smash 4, even if those who bought the costume only hit five thousand...that's a 5,000 dollars right there. Now multiply that by 6 if he's a character. Add to that the already huge install base of Smash Ultimate, and the potential for profit looks pretty darn good.
Oh, and we can't forget about his amiibo! I'm so going to be getting that! I always had the thought about the Geno Mii costume being there to test our popularity with him, because if it sold well, then I'm abosolutely sure Nintendo put Geno on the list for Sakurai.
I've always had an oddly similar conversation when it comes to Mario RPG. Somebody would ask me: "So what's your favorite game?" Me: "Mario RPG" Them: "OMG I LOVE that game!" or "NO WAY, me too!" It would always be this super exclamatory response. This is obviously a small sample size, but that's why I've always believed that Geno and Mario RPG's popularity is underestimated. He's certainly an obscure character to younger fans, but to the mid 20–30 something crowd Geno and Mallow certainly had their place in a lot of childhoods. It's not just the Smash community. Even though I'm not really sure what having spirits means for Geno's chances, I think the inclusion of Mallow is important overall. It shows that Sakurai et al. know that this sustained demand is not just about Geno as a character, it's about a desire for more Mario RPG content in Smash and beyond.
This is a good thing because the new generation can be introduced to Super Mario RPG. It's very good to know that Geno and Mallow are being represented in any shape or form. But you are right, most Nintendo and Geno fans are in their 20-30s, I don't see too many young Nintendo fans these days anymore, it kinda sucks. That's why many were asking who Geno was when he was up and running for the Smash Ultimate base roster. Gosh, I wish people these days knew what Super Mario RPG was... I really miss talking about my favorite Mario game with everyone. I'm mostly surrounded by Xbox and PlayStation players at work, so it really sucks to be the only Nintendo player and fan.

And since you asked... NO WAY, me too, owjies owjies ! Super Mario RPG is also my favorite game!! :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Everyone who claimed it would be at the vga's was proven unreliable

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Well, it feels pretty likely to me, considering Nintendo have shown things there before, and Smash is out the next day. But even if there's no announcement there, I can almost guarantee it won't take until Piranha Plant gets released to see more about DLC--a practically guaranteed January general direct will likely have details on PP and reveal a new fighter. There is no way they'll say nothing about Smash DLC if a direct goes down, and one definitely will.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Does anyone else find the way Nintendo seems to be handling DLC to be really odd? After getting a really positive response to the Smash Ballot and especially ballot picks like K. Rool and Ridley they do a 180 and say they want no fan input for the roster? If I were them I'd be looking to the fan response and viewcounts for things like the K. Rool reveal and would be saying to myself "Oh **** we really should be listening to the fans". Also asking people to buy DLC Season Passes blind has never been that great of an idea. If they actually know who is DLC why try to hide the information? If you are confident in your choices why not show them off to get fans to buy? Because while a portion of people probably purchased it the day it was announced a lot of potential buyers are probably going to wait until at least one fighter is revealed or a good portion.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Super Mario RPG, I've gotten to Smithy on multiple playthroughs and still haven't been able to beat him to this day. Out of ALL the Mario RPG games, this is the only one whose story mode I've never been able to beat. Lol

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Cloud is in WoL. The dataminer who said otherwise must've lied. Proof is that
A guy livestreaming the game on Youtube just unlocked him in World of Dark

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
To me, it's gotten to the point where I don't even know if I want to 100% take Sakurai's word as truth, and maybe he wants it to be that way, to be vague and ambiguous for more surprises. He said not to expect too many new characters, we got 6 originals and 4 echoes. He said fighter reveals were slowing down, and he was certainly right about that.

I just don't know what bits of information I should take at face value and which I shouldn't because it's often very vague, and like I said, that's probably done purposefully.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Cloud is in WoL. The dataminer who said otherwise must've lied. Proof is that
A guy livestreaming the game on Youtube just unlocked him in World of Dark
But he's not in the WoL part, lol. Just the WoD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does anyone else find the way Nintendo seems to be handling DLC to be really odd? After getting a really positive response to the Smash Ballot and especially ballot picks like K. Rool and Ridley they do a 180 and say they want no fan input for the roster? If I were them I'd be looking to the fan response and viewcounts for things like the K. Rool reveal and would be saying to myself "Oh **** we really should be listening to the fans". Also asking people to buy DLC Season Passes blind has never been that great of an idea. If they actually know who is DLC why try to hide the information? If you are confident in your choices why not show them off to get fans to buy? Because while a portion of people probably purchased it the day it was announced a lot of potential buyers are probably going to wait until at least one fighter is revealed or a good portion.
I think they're getting really weary of leakers now, especially after the Grinch fiasco. Hell, their response to the Mexico game leak has been swift so far.

In any case, I believe the "don't ask for anything" comment means that the DLC plans are set up enough that it's too late to take requests for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom