• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Cloud is in WoL. The dataminer who said otherwise must've lied. Proof is that
A guy livestreaming the game on Youtube just unlocked him in World of Dark
Apparently, he is in WoL but just doesn't have a spirit battle, based on one random comment I read. Lol

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Cloud is in WoL. The dataminer who said otherwise must've lied. Proof is that
A guy livestreaming the game on Youtube just unlocked him in World of Dark
That's actually really big news! Because it means the data mine info is incomplete, so there could be more bosses and stuff too!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speaking of Super Mario RPG, I've gotten to Smithy on multiple playthroughs and still haven't been able to beat him to this day. Out of ALL the Mario RPG games, this is the only one whose story mode I've never been able to beat. Lol
Peach + Lazy Shell = virtually impossible to die. Have Mario have the Attack Scarf and give Geno the Quartz Charm and you have an almost unstoppable team if you're at least level 25.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Oh, most definitely. I never got the Chocobo hat at all, or any other costumes for that matter--they could be bought out of the packs for .99 cents, IIRC.

I'm positive that every Geno fan bought that costume, and there ARE quite a few of us. If you consider the sales of Smash 4, even if those who bought the costume only hit five thousand...that's a 5,000 dollars right there. Now multiply that by 6 if he's a character. Add to that the already huge install base of Smash Ultimate, and the potential for profit looks pretty darn good.
Forgot to mention. The Geno Mii costume from Smash 4 can still be bought today.
I'm gonna say this once: I want Geno because of his character, I don't care how much money he would make.
Unfortunately, that's what Square is worried about the most.
Let's see how much money Square would make with Geno being DLC.
With the power of the calculator, we have:

The Geno Mii costume.
Presumably made over $50,000 to this day.

Geno's DLC character itself.
Presuming that millions will be buying his DLC character for $6.99 or with the fighters pass, and because Smash Ultimate WILL be the most-sold Switch game, Square will be getting profit out of $6,990,000, and it's gonna be higher than that because that's only a million right there. If Smash Ultimate's pre-orders are over 20 million, I'm sure at least above 10 million will be getting his DLC or the fighters pass, which makes Geno's profit at over $69,900,000; NOW, here are the people buying the fighters pass... hmm, $25 x 10 million would be about $25,000,000, divide that by 5 and Square gets over $5,000,000. There will definitely be people buying Geno's DLC just by himself or with the pass. So Square would be getting about $74,000,000+ from Geno's DLC character.

Geno's amiibo.
His amiibo price also gets profit that goes to Square, and I'd say at least over 1,000,000 will buy his amiibo, which would be $13.99 x 1,000,000 =

$13,990,000.

So with $50,000 + 74,000,000 + 13,990,000 =
Over $88,040,000.

And it's gonna be higher than that later on. So Geno would make a really good business deal for Square and Nintendo.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
That's actually really big news! Because it means the data mine info is incomplete, so there could be more bosses and stuff too!
It wasn't really incomplete. It was a misinterpretation... one sec.

He technically isn't in World of Light. He's in a sub-area after World of DARK. It was a play on words. Multiple characters are unlocked in WoD, like Incineroar.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think they're getting really weary of leakers now, especially after the Grinch fiasco.

Hell, their response to the Mexico game leak has been swift so far.
Well yeah that makes sense. I'm saying more "Why aren't they being transparent about what the DLC characters are ahead of time?". And why did they decide to have no fan input after the ballot last time? The only thing I can think of is that they're using the ballot info for the base roster and DLC.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It wasn't really incomplete. It was a misinterpretation... one sec.

He technically isn't in World of Light. He's in a sub-area after World of DARK. It was a play on words. Multiple characters are unlocked in WoD, like Incineroar.
So the boss list is still final? Aww... I got my hopes up for nothing.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Does anyone else find the way Nintendo seems to be handling DLC to be really odd? After getting a really positive response to the Smash Ballot and especially ballot picks like K. Rool and Ridley they do a 180 and say they want no fan input for the roster? If I were them I'd be looking to the fan response and viewcounts for things like the K. Rool reveal and would be saying to myself "Oh **** we really should be listening to the fans". Also asking people to buy DLC Season Passes blind has never been that great of an idea. If they actually know who is DLC why try to hide the information? If you are confident in your choices why not show them off to get fans to buy? Because while a portion of people probably purchased it the day it was announced a lot of potential buyers are probably going to wait until at least one fighter is revealed or a good portion.

Nintendo forgot about fan input at the last second and decided to go back to their "let's promote our games" route again. But of course, no one calls them out on it :/

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Peach + Lazy Shell = virtually impossible to die. Have Mario have the Attack Scarf and give Geno the Quartz Charm and you have an almost unstoppable team if you're at least level 25.
Thanks for the tips! During my very first playthrough, I was an idiot and sold the seed for money so I couldn't get Lazy Shell. And in every subsequent playthrough I've had, I could never get the timing on Lazy Shell right and generally used Mario/Bowser/Mallow or Mario/Bowser/Geno. Next time I go through the game, I'll use Peach instead.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
In any case, I believe the "don't ask for anything" comment means that the DLC plans are set up enough that it's too late to take requests for now.
Yeah I interpreted that tweet as "yo we never asked you guys to spam us with requests because we never specifically asked for requests"

Nintendo forgot about fan input at the last second and decided to go back to their "let's promote our games" route again. But of course, no one calls them out on it :/
Wait how do you know this? I haven't been keeping up with Smash news a lot recently.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Forgot to mention. The Geno Mii costume from Smash 4 can still be bought today.
I'm gonna say this once: I want Geno because of his character, I don't care how much money he would make.
Unfortunately, that's what Square is worried about the most.
Let's see how much money Square would make with Geno being DLC.
With the power of the calculator, we have:

The Geno Mii costume.
Presumably made over $50,000 to this day.

Geno's DLC character itself.
Presuming that millions will be buying his DLC character for $6.99 or with the fighters pass, and because Smash Ultimate WILL be the most-sold Switch game, Square will be getting profit out of $6,990,000, and it's gonna be higher than that because that's only a million right there. If Smash Ultimate's pre-orders are over 20 million, I'm sure at least above 10 million will be getting his DLC or the fighters pass, which makes Geno's profit at over $69,900,000; NOW, here are the people buying the fighters pass... hmm, $25 x 10 million would be about $25,000,000, divide that by 5 and Square gets over $5,000,000. There will definitely be people buying Geno's DLC just by himself or with the pass. So Square would be getting about $74,000,000+ from Geno's DLC character.

Geno's amiibo.
His amiibo price also gets profit that goes to Square, and I'd say at least over 1,000,000 will buy his amiibo, which would be $13.99 x 1,000,000 =

$13,990,000.

So with $50,000 + 74,000,000 + 13,990,000 =
Over $88,040,000.

And it's gonna be higher than that later on. So Geno would make a really good business deal for Square and Nintendo.
But wait, does Square get all of the moeny from the DLC, or is it just a fraction? If I recall, third party DLC was a dollar more, presumably so that extra dollar can got to the third party or something like that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
But wait, does Square get all of the moeny from the DLC, or is it just a fraction? If I recall, third party DLC was a dollar more, presumably so that extra dollar can got to the third party or something like that.
I figure it's more likely that the third party DLC cost more because Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were the only DLC characters that came with stages.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I think Geno being in Smash would open up so many doors for him. An Amiibo too.
Potentially playable in Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Paper Mario, appearing in Mario & Luigi, even Super Mario cameos in the next gen Games....

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Speaking of Super Mario RPG, I've gotten to Smithy on multiple playthroughs and still haven't been able to beat him to this day. Out of ALL the Mario RPG games, this is the only one whose story mode I've never been able to beat. Lol
All you need is Peach wearing the Lazy Shell and lots of pick me ups and he's a pushover. Though I dont think I've ever tried to beat him without that setup

Edit: imma slow poke

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
All you need is Peach wearing the Lazy Shell and lots of pick me ups and he's a pushover. Though I dont think I've ever tried to beat him without that setup
Ahh yes, the Pick Me Ups. The amount of those revives I've used and run out of in my playthroughs is legendary. Lol. Still, thanks for the advice, as well!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Weird sudden realization: all the DLC characters in Smash 4 were either second party or third party.

About the VGAs, I see a Nintendo announcement happening but not Smash related. My guesses are Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3, Pikmin 4 or a totally new game if they're feeling particularly ballsy.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
On regards to the Two Ness spirits...
Can I see a picture of this? Not that I don't believe you lol..

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
On regards to the Two Ness spirits...
Can I see a picture of this? Not that I don't believe you lol..
This is the list of spirits from the datamine, it includes all 1,297. Unless this second Ness spirit is an upgrade past lvl 99 (i don't think think fighter spirits can even level since they ARENT equippable), then there's only one.

https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N?fbclid=IwAR2q-gWofJ4XDEEfjaGd82o8pWZ8wejJrm_aQ2anv8srQ761gw4iZuyli9M

DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE WHAT THE SPIRITS ARE.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
It was a dollar more because of the stages. Square and Nintendo should be getting about 50%, so they both get over $44 million; Square probably gets more profit because it's their legally owned character, but I'm not sure. All I know is they do split the profit.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is the list of spirits from the datamine, it includes all 1,297. Unless this second Ness spirit is an upgrade past lvl 99 (i don't think think fighter spirits can even level since they ARENT equippable), then there's only one.

https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N?fbclid=IwAR2q-gWofJ4XDEEfjaGd82o8pWZ8wejJrm_aQ2anv8srQ761gw4iZuyli9M

DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE WHAT THE SPIRITS ARE.
Oh goddamn; Bean Villain is there? Awesome; my spirit quota has been fulfilled.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, any noteworthy updates today regarding Geno's chances? I've been fairly busy with other stuff.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
GenoGif.gif

I made a GIF showing the differences between the Ultimate Render of Geno and the low quality one we've had for years

image.png

This is apparently the Ultimate Render

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Nothing new, Right now the debate is on if Spirits Confirm or De-Confirm Potential fighters.
thinking that spirits deconfirm fighters is just ignorant tbh. thats 1.2k plus gaming characters, some insanely requested, that cant be fighters at all. pretty sure the whole main cast of some franchises are spirits which really makes me think it isnt the case

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I was starting to doubt Geno’s chances due to personally thinking Spirits deconfirn, and now things are looking a bit worse due to some of the recent discoveries, which I’ll be spoiler-tagging since they appear to heavily imply certain characters. Nothing involving Square, but it certainly implies that the DLC might have been chosen back with the base roster, which might not exactly be the best thing for us.

With the discovered Rare Spirit “folders”, the complete, extremely odd lack of anything related to Porky(with him being literally the only Brawl boss not represented in some form, as far as I’m aware), and the two characters discussed previously, I’m pretty sure the pass will be the following characters:

-Monster Hunter
-Porky
-Style Savvy (this is the only one I’m iffy on, could also be Lloyd or Linkle)
-Banjo
-A Square Rep

I’d love for the Square rep to be Geno, but unless they specifically put the Spirit in for a fakeout(which would actually be kind of neat), I’m still leaning towards a deconfirm... at least for the pass.

The thing is, even if he’s not planned for the game right now, Nintendo and Square have certainly seen all the hype around him over the last few months, which no doubt hit its highest peak in the series’ history. I can see Square and Nintendo making an extra deal off of that if it turns out that he isn’t actually part of this first wave, especially if we somehow get a DQ rep instead despite all of the region and composer issues.

Make no mistake, a DQ rep wouldn’t exactly go over well with the Smash fanbase. Not even Japan wanted them in Smash, the series is practically unknown elsewhere, it’d get both Geno and Sora supporters incredibly disappointed, and it’d have to be either “another generic enemy” or “another anime swordfighter”. The inevitable reaction from such an announcement could certainly end up with Square shoving “that puppet guy your fans won’t shut up about, whatever his name is” at Nintendo to make an extra non-pass DLC character due to all the money “left on the table”, so to speak.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno right.png

Here is a quick photoshop of the Ultimate Render that's a little closer to the old render

The new render is way too dark

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was starting to doubt Geno’s chances due to personally thinking Spirits deconfirn, and now things are looking a bit worse due to some of the recent discoveries, which I’ll be spoiler-tagging since they appear to heavily imply certain characters. Nothing involving Square, but it certainly implies that the DLC might be chosen already, which might not exactly be the best thing for us.

With the discovered Rare Spirit “folders”, the complete, extremely odd lack of anything related to Porky(with him being literally the only Brawl boss not represented in some form, as far as I’m aware), and the two characters discussed previously, I’m pretty sure the pass will be the following characters:

-Monster Hunter
-Porky
-Banjo
-A Square Rep

I’d love for the Square rep to be Geno, but unless they specifically put the Spirit in for a fakeout(which would actually be kind of neat), I’m still leaning towards a deconfirm... at least for the pass.

The thing is, even if he’s not planned for the game right now, Nintendo and Square have certainly seen all the hype around him over the last few months, which no doubt hit its highest peak in the series’ history. I can see Square and Nintendo making an extra deal off of that if it turns out that he isn’t actually part of this first wave, especially if we somehow get a DQ rep instead despite all of the region and composer issues.

Make no mistake, a DQ rep wouldn’t exactly go over well with the Smash fanbase. Not even Japan wanted them in Smash, the series is practically unknown elsewhere, it’d get both Geno and Sora supporters incredibly disappointed, and it’d have to be either “another generic enemy” or “another anime swordfighter”. The inevitable reaction from such an announcement could certainly end up with Square shoving “that puppet guy your fans won’t shut up about, whatever his name is” at Nintendo to make an extra non-pass DLC character due to all the money “left on the table”, so to speak.
Um, we have known DLC has been chosen for a good while now. There was a tweet about it and everything.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, worded it wrong. Meant “chosen back in 2015” and not “chosen just recently”.
So? We know that Nintendo and Square had to have made deals related to Geno back then for his Mii costume, so that still helps us.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, worded it wrong. Meant “chosen back in 2015” and not “chosen just recently”.
Why not just say that the DLC was chosen at the same time they announce it if it was done that early? Especially if the intention was to get fans not to pester them.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was starting to doubt Geno’s chances due to personally thinking Spirits deconfirn, and now things are looking a bit worse due to some of the recent discoveries, which I’ll be spoiler-tagging since they appear to heavily imply certain characters. Nothing involving Square, but it certainly implies that the DLC might have been chosen back with the base roster, which might not exactly be the best thing for us.

-Monster Hunter
-Porky
-Banjo
-A Square Rep

If Geno weren't the Square rep at all, then why would the name be passed around through various insiders and sources and not immediately be scoffed at, the tweet from NOA, or even going through all this friggen effort for just a glorified jpeg and nothing else? I call serious BS on this as it would be a serious step back from the Mii Fighter costume and I refuse to believe that Sakurai would settle for less at this point given he and the fans wanted him for over a decade.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I don't see why people think Spirits are hard disconfirmations. It's so silly. It's literally a png file of a character's old art. How does a Spirit instantly mean a character can't possibly be a fighter?? That just makes no sense to me.
I think they say this because in the last direct Sakurai calls Spirits; "Characters that lost their physical forms, except fighters." And with WFT and Kaptain K Rool's spirits, the WFT is named after the tree pose and Kaptain K Rool I guess is different than King K Rool.

I keep thinking of ways around it too but that's what Sakurai said. He's been purposely misleading in the past so it would be absolutely fantastic if Geno still got in but it makes sense that most people would think Spirits deconfirm :/ I hope PolarPanda's leaker is right, since that other "leaker" that talked with Verg is almost 100% sure Geno is not DLC, and Verg didn't say otherwise.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
But to bring up a case, Isaac actually had a downgrade back in Smash 4 as his Assist didn't return and if i'm correct, both his tracks didn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom