• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Hey everyone just to let you know I'm still on the ship and getting a snack. You all want anything?
Yeah can I get a uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

borger?

If not that then I'll take Geno in Smash with a side order of Mallow assist trophy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't see why people think Spirits are hard disconfirmations. It's so silly. It's literally a png file of a character's old art. How does a Spirit instantly mean a character can't possibly be a fighter?? That just makes no sense to me.
I haven't seen this much lunacy since people actually thought Sakurai deconfirmed Ness back in the Brawl days.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it would be strange to see Geno not in some shape or form in his true self in the final product of the game. All third party Mii costumes are gone, yes, but every MegaMan Rep got a presence in the game as an AT or FS and they got spirits as well. Even Rathalos got a presence as Boss, AT, and Spirit. So that doesn’t concern me as much with Hunter’s Mii costume. Not to mention every Mii costume got some kind of representation as Stage Hazards, AT, or Fighters.

For Geno to JUST be a spirit...given he had a Mii costume doesn’t seem right to me. Mallow id understand. But Geno...hmm

Edit: also remember Sakurai said he gave us the Mii Costume so fans feel like they got something. I’m assuming this is because he could not dedicate time and resources to both Cloud and Geno and Cloud took precedent after negotiations. But now that Cloud is in...and we know how much Sakurai wants to please fans, it doesn’t seem viable for him to straight up take out the costume...HMMM
We've rounded this base before. Square has made it abundantly clear that they don't want to budge on anything unless they are getting paid extra, even if it's a 3 year old Mii costume.

D

Deleted member

Here is what I think: characters like Isaac (I think) and Skull Kid are assist trophies because they couldn't be playable, but they got a Mii costume as well, meaning that they were given as much acknowledgement as possible without being playable. If they got the rights to Geno but he would only be a Mii costume, I think that he would have been an assist trophy as well, since they could do that, but give Geno as much acknowledgement as possible, but no assist trophy...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't see why people think Spirits are hard disconfirmations. It's so silly. It's literally a png file of a character's old art. How does a Spirit instantly mean a character can't possibly be a fighter?? That just makes no sense to me.
Ammo for detractors.

On the flipside, supporters who are so adamant that their character get in as playable that seeing them in a smaller role convinces them the devs just don't care about about him/her, since if they did they would obviously make getting them in the playable base roster a priority, as true fans would.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You’re legit just one of those people who argues for the sake of arguing
If you think that, then you think that and I’ll likely never be able to change your mind.

I wasn’t trying to really anything with that other than Richter should be more recognized in theory cause he’s not just from Rondo of Blood. He should be more of the more recognizable Belmonts, yet it was kind of hilarious how many people were baffled by his inclusion. And I also wanted to make a point of how under-appreciated Castlevania and it’s lore is as a series.

Also, I get that I argue a lot. I won’t deny that, but it’s mostly with things I disagree with or perceive differently. And there has been a lot of that in this thread as of late on a personal note I suppose. I’m a Geno supporter through and through, I really like his character and what he could potentially do. Even if he’s not too far removed from Mega Man or the Mii Gunner, he’d still have a good shot at a unique moveset, and will always have an unique aesthetic. As a major fan request, I also believe he is one of the more “deserving” characters as I think fan requests should consistently get equal attention to newer breakout characters and those Sakurai is interested in incorporating. I think that for most of the big fan bases, and support them accordingly.

But when it comes to chances of a character? I don’t hold back much and have a tendency to disagree with a lot of the theorizing and conclusions people come to. Some of that’s from a cynical mindset mind you, some of it I just don’t think logically lines up, and then there’s some I do actually believe. I don’t think seriously discussing the chances of a character and potentially having a much more negative take on those chances is an issue in a support thread. It’s a different concept than regular discussion about the characters and the excitement around them, and should be treated differently in my eyes. Maybe that can be ruining the fun, but I see value and hope other people do in discussion, even with a dissenting voice that doesn’t agree with the positive appraisal of the situation. It seems to me some people do, so I enjoy continuing to engage in my personal way.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
This all just doesn't feel right. Geno had a costume in 4 and now seems to be downgraded to a mere png? I just don't understand what we'll get as dlc if spirits deconfirm. Seriously, Adeleine and Sylux of all people, are now prime candidates in the speculation scene. I don't see Adeleine getting in over Bandana Dee or Magolor, especially in Japan.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I agree that SE would benefit more from one of their own characters versus Geno. That’s never really been in dispute, and is a very different argument than the “SE gets nothing from Geno” argument.

Keep in mind though, that Smash is a Nintendo game. Nintendo and Sakurai are the ones inviting characters to the fight. Sure, SE can always say no to letting one of their IPs in, but your reasoning for why they would (in Geno’s hypothetical) isn’t very compelling.

“No, we won’t let you use Geno, because we would make more money if you used someone else.”

The end result is SE not making any money at all, defeating their purpose for keeping Geno out. That’s why the disparity in profit argument isn’t a strong one.
It is quite ironic of them to think like that. Geno's fans are from Nintendo, most of Square's fans are on other consoles like the Xbox and PlayStation, it's obvious Geno would make more money because his fanbase is from Nintendo and Super Smash Brothers is only on Nintendo consoles, he's been the most requested Square rep for almost two decades now, and he's up there in popularity with Ridley and King K. Rool. The outcome of this is so ironic for Square because if Square says no to Geno, then nobody's gonna be buying their rep they chose for DLC... sure, maybe the casual Smash fans because we've seen them buy DLC before, BUT they're only going to be the ones buying that Square rep. Us Geno fans, the bandwagoners, the casual Smash players, MILLIONS are going to be buying Geno and his amiibo. Seriously, this would make Square MILLIONS, because right now, Smash Ultimate is the most pre-ordered Switch and Nintendo game in history; Super Mario Odyssey is the most sold Switch game at 11+ million, but can you believe Smash Ultimate's number of sales are even higher than that? The game isn't even out yet and it's higher than Odyssey's! It's guaranteed that millions are going to be buying Geno, I mean, you don't see a possessed puppet that has guns and can turn into a cannon everyday now, do you?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This all just doesn't feel right. Geno had a costume in 4 and now seems to be downgraded to a mere png? I just don't understand what we'll get as dlc if spirits deconfirm. Seriously, Adeleine and Sylux of all people, are now prime candidates in the speculation scene. I don't see Adeleine getting in over Bandana Dee or Magolor, especially in Japan.
It feels like most people are acting like they're seeing trophies for the first time all over again.

I bet that a lot of people have thought that Diddy was unlockable in Melee, just because his trophy wasn't seen.

There never was one in that game, of course.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
It is quite ironic of them to think like that. Geno's fans are from Nintendo, most of Square's fans are on other consoles like the Xbox and PlayStation, it's obvious Geno would make more money because his fanbase is from Nintendo and Super Smash Brothers is only on Nintendo consoles, he's been the most requested Square rep for almost two decades now, and he's up there in popularity with Ridley and King K. Rool. The outcome of this is so ironic for Square because if Square says no to Geno, then nobody's gonna be buying their rep they chose for DLC... sure, maybe the casual Smash fans because we've seen them buy DLC before, BUT they're only going to be the ones buying that Square rep. Us Geno fans, the bandwagoners, the casual Smash players, MILLIONS are going to be buying Geno and his amiibo. Seriously, this would make Square MILLIONS, because right now, Smash Ultimate is the most pre-ordered Switch and Nintendo game in history; Super Mario Odyssey is the most sold Switch game at 11+ million, but can you believe Smash Ultimate's number of sales are even higher than that? The game isn't even out yet and it's higher than Odyssey's! It's guaranteed that millions are going to be buying Geno, I mean, you don't see a possessed puppet that has guns and can turn into a cannon everyday now, do you?
And just think of how well that would segway into a SMRPG sequel/reboot being a huge success, thus making Square even more money.

There’s so much potential in this character, and it’d be super easy for SE to tap into it.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
For everyone thinking Geno spirit deconfirmed him , because having 2 Geno would be weird...

Chrom can get his ass kicked by Robin Final Smash wich has Chrom in it , while a Mii with a Chrom Mii costume is watching , and that Chrom is with Robin in the Victory screen.

If anything , Geno and Mallow getting in as spirits show that they still care about them. After all , there wasn't any necessity to bring them back , the Geno costume wasn't a necessity too.

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this yet but there’s a Ness Spirit but with his old EB art, so if Geno were in the game it shouldn’t be a problem. There’s the “old” version of the character and the “new” one

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
The fact that Geno doubters say Spirits deconfrim him is either:

1. They want us to cry while they laugh at our misery
2. They hate Geno for a really stupid reason

DIY

Smash Apprentice
https://i.imgtc.com/0JPPqdM.jpg

Seems the Cloud theory was false....
Dang, I was beaten to the punch again. Lol

But yeah, I was just about to ask about that same thing. Apparently some people are saying that's an unlockable screen of some sort, others are saying it really is him in the WoL, and some are saying that's a
WoD
screen. So, I have no idea. Any insight towards it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this yet but there’s a Ness Spirit but with his old EB art, so if Geno were in the game it shouldn’t be a problem. There’s the “old” version of the character and the “new” one
This reminds me, it is a bit of a pity that Mother 3 couldn't get official artwork, they're stuck with in-game sprites.

Then again, Master Belch from EB didn't have his used, for some reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno still has a good chance.

Saw everything heck of a datamine.

Still believe in his chances.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This can be said of literally any character for Smash though. We live in a DLC centric gaming culture nowadays, so people are just used to buying it unfortunately. And Smash has been able to generate hype with literally every character, and will pretty much always continue to do so with the love and care Sakurai puts behind the character.

The DLC will sale regardless of who is put in the game because that will be more characters and stages, the two most important things to Smash. A number of people who will adopt whatever character Sakurai announces as always. Any person with a remote interest in competitive absolutely has to buy the DLC to remain competitive and learn new matchups. The hardcore Smash fans want more content, and the reality is, most of us will buy it because it’s substantial new content regardless of what it is.

The hardcore Smash fans, have and always will be the people the least necessary to sell DLC to because they’re already sold on it.

I think you’re severely overestimating the number of people who wouldn’t buy a non-Geno Square rep. It’s going to sell regardless of the character chosen.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I had this same theory a few pages back. Glad to see I’m not the only one thinking this. Also this could dissuade me from thinking that Mega Man Spirit thing is a soft deconfirm. Because that’s the OLD Geno hehehehe

Dang, I was beaten to the punch again. Lol

But yeah, I was just about to ask about that same thing. Apparently some people are saying that's an unlockable screen of some sort, others are saying it really is him in the WoL, and some are saying that's a
WoD
screen. So, I have no idea. Any insight towards it would be greatly appreciated.
Also I think this could potentially be a good thing. They DID secure the rights to Cloud after all. Just like they secured the image rights to Geno. Geno is already in the game as a Spirit. Potentially a Mii Costume for purchase coming up. AND Nintendo of Japan picked the DLC. So his presence is already felt and they KNOW we want him.

This can be said of literally any character for Smash though. We live in a DLC centric gaming culture nowadays, so people are just used to buying it unfortunately. And Smash has been able to generate hype with literally every character, and will pretty much always continue to do so with the love and care Sakurai puts behind the character.

The DLC will sale regardless of who is put in the game because that will be more characters and stages, the two most important things to Smash. A number of people who will adopt whatever character Sakurai announces as always. Any person with a remote interest in competitive absolutely has to buy the DLC to remain competitive and learn new matchups. The hardcore Smash fans want more content, and the reality is, most of us will buy it because it’s substantial new content regardless of what it is.

The hardcore Smash fans, have and always will be the people the least necessary to sell DLC to because they’re already sold on it.

I think you’re severely overestimating the number of people who wouldn’t buy a non-Geno Square rep. It’s going to sell regardless of the character chosen.
Honestly I know this is supposed to kind of serve as to why Geno might not be a strong pick but I think it further adds to why he would be. If people are gonna buy the Smash DLC ANYWAY regardless, why not choose a highly requested and talked about character like Geno to fill that slot? People like to say a non Geno square rep would be viable and understandably so, but this is SMASH. Their popularity stems from their own games while Geno’s is from SMRPG AND SMASH AS WELL. Sakurai has already said he wanted Geno in, (lets remember he didn’t pick any other Square reps for a Mii Costume when he had the chance) so if they are gonna buy it anyway, why not also please fans as well (something that Sakurai strives hard to do)

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
There's no way we're getting 29 or 30 DLC characters. That's probably there to confuse people who tried to find DLC slots in the game.

The most I see is 5, if we're lucky, at least 10.
The most DLC characters you can see is 5 when we already have 6 confirmed before release?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here is what I think: characters like Isaac (I think) and Skull Kid are assist trophies because they couldn't be playable, but they got a Mii costume as well, meaning that they were given as much acknowledgement as possible without being playable. If they got the rights to Geno but he would only be a Mii costume, I think that he would have been an assist trophy as well, since they could do that, but give Geno as much acknowledgement as possible, but no assist trophy...
That seems to be the case. Assist trophies and Mii costumes before a character reveal are consolation prizes. I mean, just look at the spread of "newcomers" of popular characters:

Assist trophies

-Tiki
-Black Knight
-Zero
-Shovel Knight
-Isaac
-Krystal
-Bomberman
-Spring Man
-Knuckles

Mii costumes:

-Isaac
-Rex
-Dixie (hat)
-Saki
-Skull Kid
-Spring Man
-Ribbon Girl

Throw in the new popular playable characters and you have a whopping 22 popular characters that were given a more tangible form in this game. Geno and Llyod would pretty much be the only popular characters that would be getting a downgrade if the Mii costumes are totally gone (meaning they don't come back for DLC either). With Zero and Knuckles being upgraded and Guile, Alucard, and Gray Fox getting assist trophies, don't you think they would have settled on an assist trophy for Geno if they had no further plans? Keep in mind that all these characters are spirits too.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Maaaaan we have been through this a lot. Yes, Geno doesn't have a global appeal like Cloud for example. Yes, he is fairly popular among the Smash community the most. Newcomers might not be able to recognize the character, but I'm pretty sure they'd like to get him better based of his appearance and quite unique combat. That's literally how I got to know him during Brawl era. :р

>And remember, Nintendo and Square are picking the DLC, not Sakurai.
Expect Nintendo made a list of characters and Sakurai picked 5 of them. Square absolutely has no relations in this deal, unless one of the picked characters is copyrighted by Square.
Wow, I was told something different. I was told that Nintendo chose the DLC and Sakurai only picked the ones Nintendo told him to make. Holy crap, if Sakurai really did choose the characters on that list, then this is excellent news. Geno or Mallow HAD to be on that list, and we all know Sakurai would've skipped all the other Square characters and went straight for Geno. lmao

I've been told by a Geno hater that Sakurai wouldn't go for Geno anymore because he's too "old" and "obscure", and he said Sakurai would go for someone like Sora because Sakurai wished KH a happy birthday and the game is coming out for Xbox and PS soon. I lost it there and laughed so hard. And yes, someone did tell me that, exact words. But yeah, he's totally ignoring the Sakurai interview about Geno's Mii costume, expressing that Sakurai's wanted Geno since Brawl.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been told by a Geno hater that Sakurai wouldn't go for Geno anymore because he's too "old" and "obscure", and he said Sakurai would go for someone like Sora because Sakurai wished KH a happy birthday and the game is coming out for Xbox and PS soon. I lost it there and laughed so hard. And yes, someone did tell me that, exact words.
Wow. Well, that's the dumbest thing I've read all day. That assumption is on the level of "Sakurai talked about playing X game on Twitter, X character is confirmed!".

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As mentioned earlier I think this kinda helps Geno tbh
Yeah, because Geno would likely get Square the most money when it comes to pure DLC purchases and Amiibo sales. Unlike with many other Square reps, Square does not at all have to split the profits with some third party.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
There's no way we're getting 29 or 30 DLC characters. That's probably there to confuse people who tried to find DLC slots in the game.

The most I see is 5, if we're lucky, at least 10.
There are 29 slots, and they are IDs, not characters. People really need to stop spreading this misinformation. IDs include alternate outfits, like Bayo/Cloud/Ike take up 2 ID slots, and Bowser Jr takes up 8. This exact same thing happened in Smash 4, and ALL OF THE SLOTS WERE FILLED. This doesn't necessarily mean they will again, but they very likely will. If one of the 5 fighters in the fighter pack took up 8 IDs, and the other 4 took up two, we'd already be at 15. Also, these could point to either echo fighters, or possibly alt skins for existing characters. The "29" is *IDs*, not characters.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, because Geno would likely get Square the most money when it comes to pure DLC purchases and Amiibo sales. Unlike with many other Square reps, Square does not at all have to split the profits with some third party.
But also given Sakurai’s nature to please fans, his presence already in the game, Nintendo of Japan picking DLC with him placing high in fan polls out there, Nintendo know fan demand (they pay people to know these things), Sakurai’s willingness to choose older characters over recent popular characters (evidenced by Cloud instead of Lightning for example), Sakurai picking Geno to be the Mii costume (as opposed to another Square Rep like Sora or Crono) and if it’s the general consensus ppl are gonna buy it regardless, why not a fan demanded one..?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There are 29 slots, and they are IDs, not characters. People really need to stop spreading this misinformation. IDs include alternate outfits, like Bayo/Cloud/Ike take up 2 ID slots, and Bowser Jr takes up 8. This exact same thing happened in Smash 4, and ALL OF THE SLOTS WERE FILLED. This doesn't necessarily mean they will again, but they very likely will. If one of the 5 fighters in the fighter pack took up 8 IDs, and the other 4 took up two, we'd already be at 15. Also, these could point to either echo fighters, or possibly alt skins for existing characters. The "29" is *IDs*, not characters.
I even quoted you, and it's not even working. I hope people don't frequently skim through too many paragraphs around here.

On that note, what characters could possibly fill so many slots with alts?

Besides the Dragon Quest Heroes, that is.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I even quoted you, and it's not even working. I hope people don't frequently skim through too many paragraphs around here.

On that note, what characters could possibly fill so many slots with alts?

Besides the Dragon Quest Heroes, that is.
You're doing god's work, mate. Keep telling people this. I see way too many people just assuming the 29 is a pipe dream and ignoring it.

Also, if Sora got in, he could possibly have a skin for KH 1 2 and 3, and possibly his other 5 costumes could be drive forms and take up IDs if they aren't simple recolors. Banjo could have a modern and classic design, any character that has 2 possible gender versions would take up 2, like Steve, any customizable protag, etc. Bandana dee might have a non-bandana outfit? Other than that, I can't think of much.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Wow, I was told something different. I was told that Nintendo chose the DLC and Sakurai only picked the ones Nintendo told him to make. Holy crap, if Sakurai really did choose the characters on that list, then this is excellent news. Geno or Mallow HAD to be on that list, and we all know Sakurai would've skipped all the other Square characters and went straight for Geno. lmao
As I understand the situation, Nintendo picked the characters, and then Sakurai had final say as to whether he could make those characters work on a fighter level. That could mean he was given a list, but the way he phrased it sounds like Nintendo gave him five picks, and he threw out ones that wouldn't work, and was then given more.

Granted, we have no way of knowing how it really went down, but what we do know is: Nintendo made the choices, and Sakurai had veto power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom