• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Ouch, what I meant is that there is a possibility that a character from that series (Agnes most likely) can be the Square Enix DLC, and it seems everyone is forgetting that...

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Ouch, what I meant is that there is a possibility that a character from that series (Agnes most likely) can be the Square Enix DLC, and it seems everyone is forgetting that...
She was actually mentioned here several times, it's just people are mostly focused on Geno here (since it's a Geno thread, y'know).

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
We’re not here in the Geno thread to rate the chances of every SE character, especially ones who aren’t relevant right now or in any demand whatsoever to be included in a smash bros game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, if Geno were added, he STILL wouldn't be the most obscure third party character in the game. That prize already goes to Richter. If you want to argue that Richter has global appeal, you're a liar seeing how SMRPG's Japanese sales of the game alone were more than Symphony of the Night and it overall sold more than double despite not initially being released in Europe. Keep in mind that Rondo of Blood was a Japanese exclusive until 2008 too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, if Geno were added, he STILL wouldn't be the most obscure third party character in the game. That prize already goes to Richter. If you want to argue that Richter has global appeal, you're a liar seeing how SMRPG's Japanese sales of the game alone were more than Symphony of the Night and it overall sold more than double despite not initially being released in Europe. Keep in mind that Rondo of Blood was a Japanese exclusive until 2008 too.
Exactly. I mean, the guy even barely had any Smash-related DA fan art until he got revealed with Simon.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Guys, we're all sleeping on Gex. Nevermind, i'm wrong. Randi from Secret of Mana on the other hand, is a lock.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It seems im not welcomed here then, sorry for wasting your time....
You're welcome , It's just that It's the Geno thread.

I don't want to sound rude , but Bravely ended with Bravely Second , there are no plan to keep making BD games except remakes.

We've been talking about EVERY SE REP CHANCES... For the last 100 pages.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It seems im not welcomed here then, sorry for wasting your time....
It's not that you're not welcome it's just that this isn't the appropriate place to talk about Bravely Default. There are threads for that. Plus, they're not a Square Enix franchise. They are developed by a studio called Silicon Studio. Square Enix publishes the games in Japan while Nintendo does everywhere else. They don't develop the games at all.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
So let me rephrase that slightly better: "Geno doesn't benefit them at all compared to the other candidates they have at their disposal."

If you truly believe Geno would sell better than Sora, 2B, Chocobo, Sephiroth, Lightning or even Terra... I'm sorry to say you need a reality-check. Badly. I don't hate Geno - I actually played SMRPG and liked him there - but both the game and the character are insignificant in the grand scheme of things (again, compared to the other behemoths Square Enix can pick from). This isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Final Fantasy is a huge name worldwide, Dragon Quest is a massive phenomenon in Japan, NieR:Automata took the world by storm... All of them sold millions of copies. Meanwhile, Super Mario RPG is now just an obscure SNES game... One of the worst possible picks for Square Enix.

Now that this has been said, do keep pushing for Geno in Smash or Geno cameos. Just because the odds are against you doesn't mean you should give up. The one notable thing SMRPG did was giving birth to Paper Mario after all. Just, keep in mind Geno is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as Square Enix is concerned - what with Square Enix not being involved at all with the game's legacy, aka Paper Mario. If Ridley who was supposedly "too big" could get in thanks to fan demand, so can others... but he isn't the most likely, this is an uphill battle you're waging.
Not sure if I agree. Again refer to websites and fan polls where Geno is consistently beating out characters like Noctis and Lightning and 2B for Smash. CONSISTENTLY. Even as far back as 2015’s ballot. Which Nintendo refers to. The USGamer article mentions Waluigi and GENO not Waluigi and say, Terra. I think for Smash in particular because of Geno’s connection to Nintendo, and he’d be a new character with moveset not seen in 3D, he has fresh potential. All other square characters have been seen else where (Soul Calibur, Dissidia, WoFF, Tekken, DQ Heroes). Fans (and non fans I’m sure) want to see him. To say bottom of the barrel is...unrealistic at this point. When they made the deal with square in 2015, remember we got Cloud and a costume for Chocobo and GENO. Dragon Quest was still out in 2015...why didn’t he pick a DQ costume? Or Crono?

This whole discussion sure is spreading to the other threads currently. Another quote from the Isaac thread had this to say.
Lmao imagine increasing Geno’s popularity by talking about how unpopular he is on other threads , albeit one of the most popular threads here lmaoooo

Umm....hi, I just came here to say that, it seems everytime someone mentions potential Square Enix characters, it seems that no one is mentioning Braverly Default......
We actually talked about that when the Agnes leak came out. BD is probably viable, but again we all kind of theorize that newer SE titles would be very hard to secure the rights too. And I simply think if NoJ would go that route, they’d probably pick like Octopath instead? Because it’s newer? I just don’t think either of those titles have the traction tho

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean Castlevania Dracula X did most certainly release in the States and Symphony of the Night is basically impossible to play and not encounter Richter as he is basically the opening of the game.

Whether or not people paid enough attention to him or not is another thing, but he’s certainly had more exposure outside of Japan then a lot of people seem to think.

Though sadly not enough people seem to even know about Castlevania these days, which is a bloody shame.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, i still need to continue my SoM playthrough, but all party members can use different weapons right?
Sure, but Randi's emblem has always been the Mana Sword...right? Right? Like, every portrait of him has the sword :/
Let's be fair and include the doggie from Secret of Evermore too :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean Castlevania Dracula X did most certainly release in the States and Symphony of the Night is basically impossible to play and not encounter Richter as he is basically the opening of the game.

Whether or not people paid enough attention to him or not is another thing, but he’s certainly had more exposure outside of Japan then a lot of people seem to think.

Though sadly not enough people seem to even know about Castlevania these days, which is a bloody shame.
Dracula X really isn't worth mentioning though because it sold 90k worldwide:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/13129/castlevania-dracula-x/

I bought up Symphony of the Night, which actually did better in North America than Japan.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
It's really damn sad, but I've seen people playing Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night while waiting for Ultimate to come out. I can only hope that we will get something more from Castelvania, given how much everyone in the Smash team love this series.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
We're considered an echo chamber by many... But , I'm still new here (I join the Geno thread 4/5 months ago) and... Well , we've tried our best to come up with facts.

Sales number , requests , games on Nintendo consoles , legal situations ect...

Of course , stuff like popularity can be quite subjective , but a lot of people who came here to provide arguments against Geno (Wich is fine , as long as everyone is respectful), often repeat themself , or are making assumptions without facts to back it up.

"Geno isn't as popular as other SE rep" yeah , but who is going to buy the DLCs? Yeah , people who bought the game. And who bought the game...? Yeah , Nintendo consummers and Smash fans are OBVIOUSLY HERE. KH fans , DQ fans... Could they buy Ultimate...?

"SE want someone else" Nintendo is choosing the DLCs , and Sakurai still has a word on the matter. Like , if SE say no to Geno , why should Nintendo be interested in another SE rep when they are asking for someone else? And getting a character in Smash is ALWAYS a good thing for third party companies , period.
Even if It's not their poster boy , they can have a lot of benefit from the characters added because :DLCs/amiibo sales + more knowed to other audiences + make people curious and they want to know the origin and the character, ect ...
I mean , look at Bayonetta.

"Geno spirit , deconfirmed."
I love imagining Sakurai saying :
"You can pick anyone , as long as It's not one of theses 1000+ characters."
And then , weirdly enough , the only SE spirits (except Cloud) are Geno and Mallow... Nobody else.
Saying that SE was just like "Yeah , whatever , put them in" and then blaming us for thinking SE know that Geno is a popular Smash pick ? Only Sakurai know how the meeting was , nobody else.

"Dead character" a character is dead when everyone forgot him. Are you seriously going to say that It's Geno's case ?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's be fair and include the doggie from Secret of Evermore too :)
Hey, someone else who remembers that game! Sadly his chances are infinitesimal, seeing as even StarTropics is better known than his game.

Dracula X also SUCKED hard
Yeah, no kiddin. It's the one Castlevania game I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemies. Even The Adventure on Game Boy is better.

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Im honestly getting tired as hell with the additions of swordfighters to the game, hoping to god Nintendo did not choose another one because the community will not be pleased with another possible broken swordfighter

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm actually starting to think it's a bit silly for people to just say the DLC is as easy to figure out as "characters that don't have Spirits".

If it's true Rare spirits are in the game, it could hint toward Banjo

But otherwise. IDK about that.

Another thing, while Porky is not in the game "absolutely safe capsule" is. And I think that may actually be a joke reference to him already being defeated in Brawl

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

You’re legit just one of those people who argues for the sake of arguing

ZelDan

Smash Master
There is also the Death fight.

"Let's fight him on a flat horizontal plane surrounded by pits and nothing else, that'll be fun", said no fan ever.
I don't remember that, nor do I remember really having much issue with the fight.

Death's fight still doesn't sound as ridiculous as Dracula's fight.

"hey, let's have it so the battle takes place on pillars and the battlefield is 50% or more pits, and have it so getting hit literally once sends you falling to your death, while still having this be a 2 part Dracula battle. Oh hey, remember how some Castlevania games would start you right in front of Dracula's door if you game overed? Yeah, let's not do that and make people have to go through the entire stage again before challenging Dracula again!"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't remember that, nor do I remember really having much issue with the fight.

Death's fight still doesn't sound as ridiculous as Dracula's fight.

"hey, let's have it so the battle takes place on pillars and the battlefield is 50% or more pits, and have it so getting hit literally once sends you falling to your death, while still having this be a 2 part Dracula battle. Oh hey, remember how some Castlevania games would start you right in front of Dracula's door if you game overed? Yeah, let's not do that and make people have to go through the entire stage again before challenging Dracula again!"
Still the sorest point indeed. Regardless, most people would rather play Rondo instead.

I'm actually starting to think it's a bit silly for people to just say the DLC is as easy to figure out as "characters that don't have Spirits".

If it's true Rare spirits are in the game, it could hint toward Banjo

But otherwise. IDK about that.

Another thing, while Porky is not in the game "absolutely safe capsule" is. And I think that may actually be a joke reference to him already being defeated in Brawl
Exactly, I'm going to treat the whole "Spirits rules" thing as a fan rule until DLC reveals happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If the Smash community didn't matter, why is Nintendo going balls to the wall with e-sports this game and regularly inviting top players to events for interviews and videos? If anything, Nintendo has shown that it cares about the Smash community the most it has in the entire series with this game. Do I really need to go through all the examples? We'd be here all day. They even bothered to do little things like give Falco his Melee dair back FFS.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Im honestly getting tired as hell with the additions of swordfighters to the game, hoping to god Nintendo did not choose another one because the community will not be pleased with another possible broken swordfighter
As a competitive player , I have to agree that swordman are a big part of Sm4sh metagame (And Marth in Melee) if we except stuff like Bayonetta.

Cloud , Marth/Lucina , Corrin , Meta Knight ... Except MK , they all are VERY POPULAR characters in competitive play.

And Sadly , this kinda kill the variety of the game , the same pool of 10~ characters is seen over and over.

Not to count that the only "mediocre" swordman are the slower one , like Ike.

Marth's Sword was supposed to be his thing back in Melee... In Brawl , they managed to make the swordies differents , but in Sm4sh... Dear freaking lord. Yeah sure , differents , but they are too many.

A DQ swordman , or Heck , a FE character will be badly seen by the smash community. We'll accept them as time go on , but Corrin got a lot of backslash for a reason. I Hope they learned their lesson... Especially since Chrom is the only new swordman.

Here's hoping for Geno so people can call him a lame Samus/Megaman/Mii Gunner clone !(jk jk)

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If the Smash community didn't matter, why is Nintendo going balls to the wall with e-sports this game and regularly inviting top players to events for interviews and videos? If anything, Nintendo has shown that it cares about the Smash community the most it has in the entire series with this game. Do I really need to go through all the examples? We'd be here all day. They even bothered to do little things like give Falco his Melee dair back FFS.
As soon as we go on to a new page in this thread and the randoms that pop in can’t be bothered to read the last 15 posts before asking us why we aren’t discussing Black Mage’s chances, yes, you’ll need to go through all the examples again

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
"SE want someone else" Nintendo is choosing the DLCs
Nah, it's through negotiations that Nintendo "chooses" the characters. If a youtuber plays something with Disney content, Disney will watch the video and keep asking to change it until they're satisfied. Companies care about their image, how they're represented. To think Square Enix has no say in the choosing process is utter nonsense. They reach a compromise and after that Sakurai gets to say if the fighter is do-able or not.

For your other points, you're mostly right. Geno isn't entirely dead as he still has a fanbase, spirits don't deconfirm a thing until Sakurai says so, Square Enix and Nintendo didn't put Geno and Mallow as spirits for no reason (completely ignoring, alienating the dedicated smash community would be a terrible idea)...

The problem is that, to me, Geno would've had potential as a vanilla character. In the base roster, he'd have intrigued players and wouldn't have been as controversial as Incineroar or Piranha Plant. But being a DLC means meeting higher expectations in order to sell. Each fighter set costs a few dollars/euros, you'll have people who won't want to pay that for a character they judge to be a nobody. Geno's amiibo would also see no use other than Smash... not the best to sell them.

I could have believed Geno in the base roster, but just not as DLC. The slots are far too precious. There are 30 slots though, so maybe we'll get free echo fighters in some updates? In which case, I could see Geno being one of them... but knowing how hard Square Enix can be to be negotiated with...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nah, it's through negotiations that Nintendo "chooses" the characters. If a youtuber plays something with Disney content, Disney will watch the video and keep asking to change it until they're satisfied. Companies care about their image, how they're represented. To think Square Enix has no say in the choosing process is utter nonsense. They reach a compromise and after that Sakurai gets to say if the fighter is do-able or not.
Problem with this is that is Disney, not Square. And Disney has no say on any of this until Sora is chosen, not considered. Disney does not have some sort of death grip on Square outside of working on KH.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Problem with this is that is Disney, not Square. And Disney has no say on any of this until Sora is chosen, not considered. Disney does not have some sort of death grip on Square outside of working on KH.
Um... I know? It was an example, maybe I didn't make it obvious enough sorry. Whether that youtuber is sponsored by Disney, Square Enix, Nintendo, Ubisoft, Microsoft or whatever else, the company will keep a close watch on how their trademarked content is being used. In somewhat extreme cases, they'll flat out refuse the youtuber criticising or making jokes on certain aspects. I hope that was clearer?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Um... I know? It was an example, maybe I didn't make it obvious enough sorry. Whether that youtuber is sponsored by Disney, Square Enix, Nintendo, Ubisoft, Microsoft or whatever else, the company will keep a close watch on how their trademarked content is being used. In somewhat extreme cases, they'll flat out refuse the youtuber criticising or making jokes on certain aspects. I hope that was clearer?
Sorry, you brought up Disney in a Square discussion, I thought you were referring to something else. And even then, that still does not seem to be the case for Smash. Sakurai had full range of what FF pick he could have. Square thought he was gonna pick something more modern(And perhaps hoped for that), but Sakurai ended up choosing Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom