• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Vergeben gets misquoted a lot of the time, and I am sure he knows that. As evidence for this, his source (if I am not mistaken) once told him a possibility for the SE rep, but Vergeben didn't say who that character was, because he knew that if he was incorrect, then he would get harassed a bunch. For the SE characters, he has only revealed that Geno was one of the names he has heard. I am sure that he knows there will be at least one person who would interpret what he said as "GENO IS COMING," so why would he reveal that info so easily? :)
You know, that is a little odd coming from Verge.

-The only Square rep he mentioned was Geno, he didn't deconfirm him and said Geno was mentioned.

-He heard a total of 7 Square characters, and we all know 7 is the important number of Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, the first game Geno made his debut in. (The 7 star pieces and "Seven" in the title; it's literally on the front of the art box, the SNES cartridge, and title screen, you can't miss it.)

-He said Square rep, which means it's 100% their property, not owned by multiple companies; Geno's ownership rights follows this rule.

-He said Square likes having their characters for DLC, it makes sense because Geno's Mii costume was paid DLC and got a splash screen.

I remember Verge saying that he didn't want to reveal the Square rep because of his credibility, this was probably in case Geno could've been chosen over someone else at the last minute, but since there's no other sign of any shape or form of another Square character in the game, Geno was probably kept and chosen for future DLC. From the looks of it, I think he's leaning towards Geno being the Square character. And I'm very surprised not very many got the hint/reference or didn't think about Geno after Verge stated he heard "SEVEN" Square reps. And if there were supposedly "7" Square reps, all I can think of is:
-Black Mage
-Cactuar
-Geno
-Mallow
-Sephiroth
-2B
-Zach

D

Deleted member

You know, that is a little odd coming from Verge.

-The only Square rep he mentioned was Geno, he didn't deconfirm him and said Geno was mentioned.

-He heard a total of 7 Square characters, and we all know 7 is the important number of Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, the first game Geno made his debut in. (The 7 star pieces and "Seven" in the title; it's literally on the front of the art box, the SNES cartridge, and title screen, you can't miss it.)

-He said Square rep, which means it's 100% their property, not owned by multiple companies; Geno's ownership rights follows this rule.

-He said Square likes having their characters for DLC, it makes sense because Geno's Mii costume was paid DLC and got a splash screen.

I remember Verge saying that he didn't want to reveal the Square rep because of his credibility, this was probably in case Geno could've been chosen over someone else at the last minute, but since there's no other sign of any shape or form of another Square character in the game, Geno was probably kept and chosen for future DLC. From the looks of it, I think he's leaning towards Geno being the Square character. And I'm very surprised not very many got the hint/reference or didn't think about Geno after Verge stated he heard "SEVEN" Square reps. And if there were supposedly "7" Square reps, all I can think of is:
-Black Mage
-Cactuar
-Geno
-Mallow
-Sephiroth
-2B
-Zach
I would add Chocobo to the list since he/she had a Mii costume in Smash 4. And to add to your tinfoil, Shulk uses Geno as a battle token, and he can see the future...

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I would add Chocobo to the list since he/she had a Mii costume in Smash 4. And to add to your tinfoil, Shulk uses Geno as a battle token, and he can see the future...
I was actually gonna put Chocobo instead of Sephiroth, but I couldn't resist. lol

Hey guys, I'm seeing something here:

Nintendo - You.
Sora Ltd. - Your best friend.
HAL Laboratory - Your best friend's sister.
Game Freak - Your cousin.
Rare - Your old best friend that moved to another school, and you never talked to them again.
Capcom - That one dude that's a huge fan of your work.
Konami - That one dude who likes to give you free food, sometimes even a free drink.
Bandai Namco - Your best friend's science partner.
SEGA - Your former enemy, now they're an awesome friend that's always up for having lunch together.
Monolith Soft - Just an acquaintance you work with.
Square Enix - That one kid you did a science project with in Elementary, also the kid that only likes sit in the back of the class by himself and eats his sandwich without saying a single word, and they aren't interested in talking to you unless you got food for them.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Gonna say, the info on the boss was pretty much speculation on PolarPanda's Source end and it doesn't match up.

I'm gonna list everything i've heard from the Source here that i came to know today.

-He hasn't heard anything regarding Geno since November 2nd and is keeping tabs for anything.
-All the other leakers currently confirming and de-confirming are off base.
-Said that people should keep campaigning for a second season of DLC so.
-NOA's current focus is on Mexico and the leak.
-NOJ did the DLC picks.

And with my own discovery of Verge's recent comments, i'm starting to question the case of a Square Rep.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
N
Gonna say, the info on the boss was pretty much speculation on PolarPanda's Source end and it doesn't match up.

I'm gonna list everything i've heard from the Source here that i came to know today.

-He hasn't heard anything regarding Geno since November 2nd and is keeping tabs for anything.
-NOJ did the DLC picks.

And with my own discovery of Verge's recent comments, i'm starting to question the case of a Square Rep.
November 2nd isn’t that bad actually!! That’s the day after the final direct right. By this time DLC was already confirmed

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, a lot of information on bosses and such has come out. Does this line up with PolarPanda PolarPanda and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's info?
I talked about this earlier today. Looking at the conversation that Polar Panda's source made the statements in, it was basically an educated guess that was off. They knew Skull Kid and Nightmare were assist trophies as far back as early September and speculated that they would also be bosses ala Rathalos. We had literally no reason to believe Nightmare was coming back seeing as Kirby already had two assist trophies at the time and this was also when a ton of people, including myself, believed Skull Kid wouldn't be an assist trophy again because of the Moon so it was more of an overreach if anything.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Ender Dragon is a much better option than Steve, thought I'm not that into Minecraft to feel happy about the possible news other than enjoying Steve being deconfirmed lmao.

Though it's obvious that we shouldn't trust anyone who claim to know any DLCs. Right now we can only depend on the game data, but even now it has no evidences for anything DLC related. Perhaps in future patches they would spill beans just like how they did it with Roy and Ryu.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

-NOJ did the DLC picks.

The 2nd wasn't that long ago, really.

>-All the other leakers currently confirming and de-confirming are off base.

Well that's good considering people like Verg and the other random gamefaqs dude like to deconfirm Geno as a fake leakbait

>-NOJ did the DLC picks.

At this point I have no clue if that's especially good or bad for Geno's chances. I know he's gotten pretty high on Japanese polls before. Before Hitagi got btfo I might have been more worried about it being a DQ rep

>And with my own discovery of Verge's recent comments

Care to clarify what you mean?

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

-NOJ did the DLC picks.

Ooh-er, does the recommending of the campaigning of Season 2 DLC mean it's not currently decided on and might not happen? Oh wait, that may have been the case anyway.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
"geno doesnt benefit them at all" is the stupidest thing ive ever heard lol. they basically dont do anything with geno and itd be easy money for them to make geno dlc
So let me rephrase that slightly better: "Geno doesn't benefit them at all compared to the other candidates they have at their disposal."

If you truly believe Geno would sell better than Sora, 2B, Chocobo, Sephiroth, Lightning or even Terra... I'm sorry to say you need a reality-check. Badly. I don't hate Geno - I actually played SMRPG and liked him there - but both the game and the character are insignificant in the grand scheme of things (again, compared to the other behemoths Square Enix can pick from). This isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Final Fantasy is a huge name worldwide, Dragon Quest is a massive phenomenon in Japan, NieR:Automata took the world by storm... All of them sold millions of copies. Meanwhile, Super Mario RPG is now just an obscure SNES game... One of the worst possible picks for Square Enix.

Now that this has been said, do keep pushing for Geno in Smash or Geno cameos. Just because the odds are against you doesn't mean you should give up. The one notable thing SMRPG did was giving birth to Paper Mario after all. Just, keep in mind Geno is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as Square Enix is concerned - what with Square Enix not being involved at all with the game's legacy, aka Paper Mario. If Ridley who was supposedly "too big" could get in thanks to fan demand, so can others... but he isn't the most likely, this is an uphill battle you're waging.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was actually gonna put Chocobo instead of Sephiroth, but I couldn't resist. lol

Hey guys, I'm seeing something here:

Nintendo - You.
Sora Ltd. - Your best friend.
HAL Laboratory - Your best friend's sister.
Game Freak - Your cousin.
Rare - Your old best friend that moved to another school, and you never talked to them again.
Capcom - That one dude that's a huge fan of your work.
Konami - That one dude who likes to give you free food, sometimes even a free drink.
Bandai Namco - Your best friend's science partner.
SEGA - Your former enemy, now they're an awesome friend that's always up for having lunch together.
Monolith Soft - Just an acquaintance you work with.
Square Enix - That one kid you did a science project with in Elementary, also the kid that only likes sit in the back of the class by himself and eats his sandwich without saying a single word, and they aren't interested in talking to you unless you got food for them.
I would love to see that relationship chart get expanded in the future. :p

Ooh-er, does the recommending of the campaigning of Season 2 DLC mean it's not currently decided on and might not happen? Oh wait, that may have been the case anyway.
I think it's just in case they stop after the fighter pass is done. Sure, 30 slots have been discovered, but some of those could get covered up by character alts.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So let me rephrase that slightly better: "Geno doesn't benefit them at all compared to the other candidates they have at their disposal."

If you truly believe Geno would sell better than Sora, 2B, Chocobo, Sephiroth, Lightning or even Terra... I'm sorry to say you need a reality-check. Badly. I don't hate Geno - I actually played SMRPG and liked him there - but both the game and the character are insignificant in the grand scheme of things (again, compared to the other behemoths Square Enix can pick from). This isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Final Fantasy is a huge name worldwide, Dragon Quest is a massive phenomenon in Japan, NieR:Automata took the world by storm... All of them sold millions of copies. Meanwhile, Super Mario RPG is now just an obscure SNES game... One of the worst possible picks for Square Enix.
While I do agree about Geno beeing smaller than other SE rep , It's a fact , the problem is getting theses others SE rep.

Dragon quest is owned by Armor project + someone else own the soundtrack and is incredibly stingy about it.

Sora is Disney , not impossible , but they only let Sora appeared in a small summon in a World of Final Fantasy game , and it was only for a Month. So a Smash character... ?

The FF rep need more music... And well , there is a reason Cloud still only has 2 music tracks with him.

2B could work actually. Licencing wise , if she's fully owned by SE , It's possible.

But the thing is , SE don't choose the DLC. It's still Nintendo. Except if SE was stingy and said "You can have Cloud only in base game if you let us a DLC fighter beeing Slime or It's nothing" , Nintendo still has to decide.

Nier Automata didn't released on a Nintendo console , It's on a competitor console. Except if there is a potential Switch port , I don't see it.

Remember , third party must fill one of theses 2 criterias :

-Beeing Iconic (I'm talking iconic level of Pikachu , Mario , Sonic , characters than almost everyone know)

-Is so close to Nintendo that It's basically a Nintendo character (like with Bayonetta.)

-and also requests can be considered.

Geno has requests + close to Nintendo because he's a Mario character. He's a viable option.

Theses others third party , in my opinion , need a game on the Switch. A main entry may I had (DQ Builders is a spin-off).
Neku could promote TWEWY Final Remix , It's a game on the Switch , so It's Good for Nintendo + it help SE to make this franchise grow. Sadly , his game was made by several companies so...

And Crono... I would like him , but the dude is lost in legal hell.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I do agree about Geno beeing smaller than other SE rep , It's a fact , the problem is getting theses others SE rep.

Dragon quest is owned by Armor project + someone else own the soundtrack and is incredibly stingy about it.

Sora is Disney , not impossible , but they only let Sora appeared in a small summon in a World of Final Fantasy game , and it was only for a Month. So a Smash character... ?

The FF rep need more music... And well , there is a reason Cloud still only has 2 music tracks with him.

2B could work actually. Licencing wise , if she's fully owned by SE , It's possible.

But the thing is , SE don't choose the DLC. It's still Nintendo. Except if SE was stingy and said "You can have Cloud only in base game if you let us a DLC fighter beeing Slime or It's nothing" , Nintendo still has to decide.

Nier Automata didn't released on a Nintendo console , It's on a competitor console. Except if there is a potential Switch port , I don't see it.

-Beeing Iconic (I'm talking iconic level of Pikachu , Mario , Sonic , characters than almost everyone know)

-Is so close to Nintendo that It's basically a Nintendo character (like with Bayonetta.)

Geno has requests + close to Nintendo because he's a Mario character. He's a viable option.

Theses others third party , in my opinion , need a game on the Switch. A main entry may I had (DQ Builders is a spin-off).
Neku could promote TWEWY Final Remix , It's a game on the Switch , so It's Good for Nintendo + it help SE to make this franchise grow. Sadly , his game was made by several companies so...

Lara Croft is theoretically doable, but that would still involve going abroad just to strike up the negotiations.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Lara Croft is theoretically doable, but that would still involve going abroad just to strike up the negotiations.
Oh yeah , I forgot about her !

I think she's a viable third party (even tho Crash and Spyro are my favorite PS1 icon , Lara Croft has way more games and is still going) but Nintendo need to be interested in her.

A game on the Switch could surely help , but It's not a necessity.

But I think she's also owned by a different company , Crystal Dynamics ? I'm not sure of the name.

It's possible , she could be a very cool announcement and Smash character , but it depend on Nintendo interest.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I agree that SE would benefit more from one of their own characters versus Geno. That’s never really been in dispute, and is a very different argument than the “SE gets nothing from Geno” argument.

Keep in mind though, that Smash is a Nintendo game. Nintendo and Sakurai are the ones inviting characters to the fight. Sure, SE can always say no to letting one of their IPs in, but your reasoning for why they would (in Geno’s hypothetical) isn’t very compelling.

“No, we won’t let you use Geno, because we would make more money if you used someone else.”

The end result is SE not making any money at all, defeating their purpose for keeping Geno out. That’s why the disparity in profit argument isn’t a strong one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah , I forgot about her !

I think she's a viable third party (even tho Crash and Spyro are my favorite PS1 icon , Lara Croft has way more games and is still going) but Nintendo need to be interested in her.

A game on the Switch could surely help , but It's not a necessity.

But I think she's also owned by a different company , Crystal Dynamics ? I'm not sure of the name.

It's possible , she could be a very cool announcement and Smash character , but it depend on Nintendo interest.
Yup, you got the name right.

That said, many installments (mostly minor spin-offs) have been on Nintendo hardware in the past, so that won't be a barrier.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Now before you say Steve deconfirm since there’s no Minecraft boss in thendata

That’s not out of the running the exclamation could simple be a patch update or involved of the fighter pack.

Just that simple

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now before you say Steve deconfirm since there’s no Minecraft boss in thendata

That’s not out of the running the exclamation could simple be a patch update or involved of the fighter pack.

Just that simple
But people have seen data listing JFG and Blast Corps' names too.

As it stands right now, it's Schrodinger's Microsoft; Banjo-Kazooie and Steve are both in and not in the game.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Now that this has been said, do keep pushing for Geno in Smash or Geno cameos. Just because the odds are against you doesn't mean you should give up. The one notable thing SMRPG did was giving birth to Paper Mario after all. Just, keep in mind Geno is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as Square Enix is concerned - what with Square Enix not being involved at all with the game's legacy, aka Paper Mario. If Ridley who was supposedly "too big" could get in thanks to fan demand, so can others... but he isn't the most likely, this is an uphill battle you're waging.
Yeah man 2B, Chocobo and ****ing Terra would be more popular with super smash brothers fans than Geno.

Imagine not wanting Geno so much you tell yourself this and totally ignore what a target market is

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
This whole discussion sure is spreading to the other threads currently. Another quote from the Isaac thread had this to say.
Guys..... Geno does not have global appeal. There is a vocal Geno fan base in the Smash community that has wanted him in for a long time. Because of this the Smash community knows who he is. Outside of the Smash community he’s not known. He’s a character from an RPG game that came out 22 years ago. Other than that he had one tiny cameo in a Mario and Luigi game that came out 15 years ago.

Just because they got the rights to a Mii costume doesn’t mean they’ll make him a fighter. Square gets to decide who they want. I can almost guarantee Sakurai asked if it was okay if they had the Geno and Mallow spirits since the costume went away and Square said “Yeah, whatever”. Geno already had some representation in Smash so I doubt Square cared if they made him a spirit.

Sakurai said he wanted to put Geno in a few years ago. Just because he said that doesn’t mean Geno is a lock. He also wanted to put Banjo and James Bond in previous titles and they still never happened. And remember, Nintendo and Square are picking the DLC, not Sakurai. I think his tweet about that is letting you know not to expect a bunch of fan favorites.

And sorry if I sound like I’m anti-Geno. I’m just trying to be realistic with who we’re getting in the fighter pass. I’d much rather have Geno than a DQ character.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman

Which is why I'm convinced Chocobo will be the Square Enix rep. Supremely iconic, fits right in with Nintendo characters, new FF tracks, Chocobo series revival on Switch, cutesy style SE has been trying their hands at recently and more. But I'll stop derailing here, so I'll just say that yes, Geno does fit some criteria but from the companies' point of view, they'd be too scared to pick him. There is a LOT of money riding on this after all, which is the reason why triple A games tend not to try exploring new avenues. Unless their fears get addressed, Geno won't be picked.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
This whole discussion sure is spreading to the other threads currently. Another quote from the Isaac thread had this to say.
Sakurai himself said he's "incredibly popular," and always gets "a ton of votes." I'm pretty sure he has a better idea than anyone as to who has global appeal.

Geno's primary supporting argument has been his popularity among fans. Even people against his inclusion recognize this. And if Sakurai has been trying to get him in ever since Brawl, we can infer that his popularity is not only "incredible," but it's also been around for a long time.

Moreover, "global appeal" isn't a hard-fast rule for Smash characters. Fire Emblem in Melee and Earthbound in 64 are examples of this.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This is tone deaf on a lot of levels:

-It ignores that SMRPG too has sold millions of copies through the initial release and rereleases.

-It ignores that the game has been rereleased three times in ten years due to fan demand.

-It ignores that Geno has had consistent fan demand to be in Smash for 13 years with evidence that Geno has been requested in Nintendo official polls going back to 2000.

-It ignores the fact that despite being 22 years old and only playable in one game, the character is still talked about at all.

-It ignores that Sakurai himself has spoken highly about Geno and has wanted him playable since Brawl: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

-Aside from Sora, everyone else listed has barely any fan demand. In no reality would characters like Terra and Chocobo be better received, especially not in the Smash community.

-Nobuo Uematsu owns all the music for Final Fantasy I through XIV and he's been on a sabbatical since September so good luck getting literally any Final Fantasy music for this game aside from the two tracks we already have.

-2B had one game and it wasn't on a Nintendo platform. Leading into the next point...

-Nintendo/Sakurai choose the characters, not Square. In what universe would they choose someone like 2B? At least with Cloud there were plenty of Final Fantasy rereleases and spin-offs on Nintendo platforms. If you want to talk about a character that offers literally nothing...

-Disney owns Sora and the character has never been used outside a game that Square didn't publish or develop. If added to Smash, Disney would get all the royalties for Sora's inclusion. Square only makes money off Sora when he's used in their games.

-KH games, including the remasters, have overwhelmingly been on Sony platforms too with the latest KH game on a Nintendo platform being 2012, which has already been remastered for the PS3, PS4, and XBoxOne. There are currently no plans for Switch for any future KH games.

-Geno's already been in two Smash games, got a full Mii costume in Smash 4, and SMRPG was part of the game chronology in Brawl.

-Geno's already been liscensed for this game as is.

In short, I'm more or less convinced this is a troll post.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
All of them sold millions of copies. Meanwhile, Super Mario RPG is now just an obscure SNES game... One of the worst possible picks for Square Enix.
Super Mario RPG sold millions of copies too. With SNES classic taken into consideration Super Mario RPG has been in the hands of over 7 million people throughout its lifespan, putting it at the 11th best selling game ever developed by Square Enix, beating every single Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest and Nier game. This doesn't even include Nintendo's virtual console numbers which aren't published, but the game's release was a huge deal on both the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles.

You might have an argument regarding Final Fantasy characters, but the logistical difficulties in obtaining further rights to Final Fantasy content has been discussed to death in this thread.

Super Mario RPG is anything but obscure, and pretending like it's this quaint little game no one remembers is completely nonsensical. Using this tool I determined that the Super Mario RPG anniversary tweet was in the top 2% of retweets and favourites out of everything Nintendo posted this year, excluding them retweeting things from other twitter accounts. This beats out new game announcements.

This would literally only benefit Square Enix. They have no real desire to use the character and they'd make money off the DLC.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This argument is pretty tired given the sheer number of characters in Smash that nobody would care about if it wasn't for Smash or the Smash community. How about Lucas and Roy, two characters that were DLC in the last game? At least Geno's game has been rereleased internationally three times now. Roy and Luca's game never left Japan. Are we unironically going to act like Bayonetta didn't get in because of Smash fans too? When it comes to SEGA franchises, it doesn't even break top 10 sales wise. How's that for global appeal?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
This argument is pretty tired given the sheer number of characters in Smash that nobody would care about if it wasn't for Smash or the Smash community. How about Lucas and Roy, two characters that were DLC in the last game? At least Geno's game has been rereleased internationally three times now. Roy and Luca's game never left Japan. Are we unironically going to act like Bayonetta didn't get in because of Smash fans too? When it comes to SEGA franchises, it doesn't even break top 10 sales wise. How's that for global appeal?
It's another action-packed day of people pretending that Smash popularity doesn't count as real popularity for some reason.

The belief that the developers ignore the core install base for their game is getting pretty stale

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I would love to see that relationship chart get expanded in the future. :p

I think it's just in case they stop after the fighter pass is done. Sure, 30 slots have been discovered, but some of those could get covered up by character alts.
Wait 30 slots? What's this about? Will poor Sakurai ever get a break???

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Maaaaan we have been through this a lot. Yes, Geno doesn't have a global appeal like Cloud for example. Yes, he is fairly popular among the Smash community the most. Newcomers might not be able to recognize the character, but I'm pretty sure they'd like to get him better based of his appearance and quite unique combat. That's literally how I got to know him during Brawl era. :р

>And remember, Nintendo and Square are picking the DLC, not Sakurai.
Expect Nintendo made a list of characters and Sakurai picked 5 of them. Square absolutely has no relations in this deal, unless one of the picked characters is copyrighted by Square.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait 30 slots? What's this about? Will poor Sakurai ever get a break???
Basically, 30 placeholder slots were datamined. However, according to an user on the Dee thread:

It's actually 29, and it's not characters. It's character IDs. For reference, Bayonetta takes up 2 IDs, Corrin takes up 2 IDs, Bowser Jr takes up 8. If we get some free echos, and if any of these characters have alternate gender versions or alternate game costumes like Bayo/Cloud, it seems much more reasonable that we'll get 29. Also: This exact same thing happened in Smash 4. All the slots were filled. They actually added a slot later, and that one was also filled.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's another action-packed day of people pretending that Smash popularity doesn't count as real popularity for some reason.

The belief that the developers ignore the core install base for their game is getting pretty stale
"The Smash community that buys the games, gives them years of free commercial exposure and competitive longevity, and is most likely to buy DLC doesn't count." It's so self loathing of a stance.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Ugh...there is some serious mudslinging going on against Geno recently...why is this suddenly happening with the DLC? It was before, yeah, but not to this extent and not in this thread. Is it because people think he's so likely they must put him down because they don't want him? Or is it "realist" talk spurred on by the disappointment of the 11/1 direct?

Either way...listen, guys. I get Geno doesn't have mass appeal. But you need to understand: tons of other characters already IN Smash don't, either. Hell, most of the people I know who casually play Smash don't know 2/3rds the cast anyway--you think the "casual Smasher" knows who Corrin is? Or Bayonetta? King K. Rool?

Nope, they don't. Or if they have any knowledge of them, they lack the attachment to them to want to buy them. Honestly, you'd be more likely to sell Piranha Plant to people such as these, and he's free. And yeah, these people would likely know someone huge like Cloud, but again, the attachment isn't there, because they've likely only heard of him, not actually played his games. Furthermore, if they were huge Squeenix fanboys, it's more likely they'll have a PS console, and thus will likely NOT be convinced to buy Smash along with a Switch for one character.

What we need to look at here is your target audience for Smash DLC. (Not the game itself--people will buy that because it's Smash, regardless of who's in it.) You can make a DLC character as super well-known as you want, but will that make people who haven't bought Smash rush in and buy it? Will it convert people? Not likely. The idea is to sell the DLC to the people who already own the game. As I said before, the casuals who will own Smash won't care about the DLC--short of someone like Shrek or Goku getting in. So who are you targeting?

That's right...Smash fans.

These are the audience for DLC. these are the people waiting with bated breath for announcements of characters. Crazy nutjobs (like me) who jumped on the Geno costume. The ones who are practically guaranteed sales for DLC, if the right characters are chosen. It's the classic case of either targeting the larger, less invested masses, or catering to the smaller market you know you can control--you might get more sales aiming for the larger market, but you know you're getting sales if you feed the rabid fanatics.

And Smash has one of the most rabid fanbases. Period.

Nintendo is being smart, picking the characters themselves. They know what we want before we even want it. And I'll tell you right now, they know who we want most in Smash, thanks to the ballot. It's possible that could lead to many other Square reps, but it for SURE points to Geno as well. To say he has no chance due to lack of appeal is ignorant, especially when you think about who the DLC should be aimed at.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
The ONLY reason Sora has fan request all of a sudden is because of the whole SE Rep news, THAT'S IT. Sora has NEVER had any fan support to be in Smash whatsoever and now all of a sudden his fanbase acts like they're hot **** and starts insulting the Geno community in the process

Last edited:

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Umm....hi, I just came here to say that, it seems everytime someone mentions potential Square Enix characters, it seems that no one is mentioning Braverly Default......

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Umm....hi, I just came here to say that, it seems everytime someone mentions potential Square Enix characters, it seems that no one is mentioning Braverly Default......
Then maybe you should make a Bravely Default thread because nobody cares about them in Smash Bros :)

Edit: sometimes i think half the people that come in here don’t realize they’re in the Geno thread.

“Why aren’t you guys talking about Bravely Default and Terra in here?!?”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom