• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Nah, it's through negotiations that Nintendo "chooses" the characters. If a youtuber plays something with Disney content, Disney will watch the video and keep asking to change it until they're satisfied. Companies care about their image, how they're represented. To think Square Enix has no say in the choosing process is utter nonsense. They reach a compromise and after that Sakurai gets to say if the fighter is do-able or not.
Yeah , SE have a word to Say , too.

The thing is , It's Nintendo's game. They are the one sending the invitations to third party , most of the time.

If Nintendo want to ask for Geno , and SE say no and propose someone else right after , this would be seen as "no , that's who we want.".

SE biggest power is saying "No." , they can make suggestions , but that's about it. They can ask , but Nintendo need to agree to that. And seeing how stingy they were with Cloud , I doubt they'll make the effort to do that ...

The thing is , Nintendo can say "Yes and No" to a character , wherehas Square can mostly say "No.". They can propose something , but they'll need to convince Nintendo that their characters is worth beeing DLC in Smash Bros. And once again , they were stingy about Cloud , so them beeing like "Please pick this character with him" seem unlikely.

Of course , each side can talk it out with calm and respect , and have a compromise/agreement.

It's just that SE is playing with fire by refusing the character who Nintendo ask , and try to propose someone else.
They can get no money at all if they took this risk , worse , their image as a company become worse. Because Nintendo can be like "Well , seem like you don't want your character in Smash." and that's the end.

D

Deleted member

Nah, it's through negotiations that Nintendo "chooses" the characters. If a youtuber plays something with Disney content, Disney will watch the video and keep asking to change it until they're satisfied. Companies care about their image, how they're represented. To think Square Enix has no say in the choosing process is utter nonsense. They reach a compromise and after that Sakurai gets to say if the fighter is do-able or not.

For your other points, you're mostly right. Geno isn't entirely dead as he still has a fanbase, spirits don't deconfirm a thing until Sakurai says so, Square Enix and Nintendo didn't put Geno and Mallow as spirits for no reason (completely ignoring, alienating the dedicated smash community would be a terrible idea)...

The problem is that, to me, Geno would've had potential as a vanilla character. In the base roster, he'd have intrigued players and wouldn't have been as controversial as Incineroar or Piranha Plant. But being a DLC means meeting higher expectations in order to sell. Each fighter set costs a few dollars/euros, you'll have people who won't want to pay that for a character they judge to be a nobody. Geno's amiibo would also see no use other than Smash... not the best to sell them.

I could have believed Geno in the base roster, but just not as DLC. The slots are far too precious. There are 30 slots though, so maybe we'll get free echo fighters in some updates? In which case, I could see Geno being one of them... but knowing how hard Square Enix can be to be negotiated with...
"The slots are far too precious." Do you know how popular Geno is within the Smash community? The DLC for this game is aimed at people who actually play Smash, anyone else doesn't give a ****. Square Enix always prefer their character in any game to be DLC, so Geno is definitely more likely for DLC. About echo fighters....are you ****ing kidding me? Geno can't echo anyone, have you played SMRPG? He can fire Geno beam, Geno whirl, Geno blast, Geno flash, as opposed to the other gunner characters, who use missiles and charge shots. With how unique Geno is to the roster, you contradict yourself by saying "the slots are far too precious." Any other SE character (except Mallow and Chocobo) would just be another anime swordsman or another generic enemy. You underestimate him greatly

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As soon as we go on to a new page in this thread and the randoms that pop in can’t be bothered to read the last 15 posts before asking us why we aren’t discussing Black Mage’s chances, yes, you’ll need to go through all the examples again
Pretty much. It's ridiculous. Like almost every returning single character has small details that fans demanded. Look at the move adjustments. Look at the final smashes. Look at the alternative costumes. THEY FIXED WII FIT'S EYES! Do people not realize how minor of a complaint that was and they bothered to fix it anyways? Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, and MF Big Boi Ridley were all characters that Sakurai publically rejected in the past but are now here. Look at the fan service for the stages and assist trophies. Look at the music. Look at World of Light. Look at Classic mode. This game is built from the ground up for fans. Good lord, it's just an exhausting thing to point out because it's so obvious if you've spent any time in the Smash community.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Pretty much. It's ridiculous. Like almost every returning single character has small details that fans demanded. Look at the move adjustments. Look at the final smashes. Look at the alternative costumes. THEY FIXED WII FIT'S EYES! Do people not realize how minor of a complaint that was and they bothered to fix it anyways? Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, and MF Big Boi Ridley were all characters that Sakurai publically rejected in the past but are now here. Look at the fan service for the stages and assist trophies. Look at the music. Look at World of Light. Look at Classic mode. This game is built from the ground up for fans. Good lord, it's just an exhausting thing to point out because it's so obvious if you've spent any time in the Smash community.
And that's not counting the competitive aspect , so much as changed from Sm4sh !

All aerials have reduced landing lag, easy kill set-up are gone (so you won't Fish for a grab for 45 seconds and actually do something else) more damage in 1vs1 , logical nerfs and buff accross the board , canceling a run with a Smash or a tilt , Hazard toggle for more legal stages , ect...

They are listening to us , It's obvious.

They just can't do everything (Isaac beeing an assist is probably lack of time , so they still included him as an assist. Not having anymore FF tracks isn't their fault , ect...).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry, you brought up Disney in a Square discussion, I thought you were referring to something else. And even then, that still does not seem to be the case for Smash. Sakurai had full range of what FF pick he could have. Square thought he was gonna pick something more modern(And perhaps hoped for that), but Sakurai ended up choosing Cloud.
You know, I'm starting to think that maybe SE didn't give spirits to Sakurai out of spite, due to that.

And then there's Rool, acknowledged with gusto after a decade of absence, whose Mii costume issue was even outright adressed in his trailer.

Granted, the Wii Fit staff had to ask Sakurai to do the change, but your point still stands.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I found the mallow spirit in Ultimate. It's in WoL. Wanna know what the fight is? I got screenshots too.
That probably isn't a good thing if they are showing up in WOL. That seems more set in stone as not going to happen/change.

Did we find Geno in WOL?

(Also going on the guess that Mallow is White Kirby with lightning bolt items being frequent) Edit: WRONG

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
That probably isn't a good thing if they are showing up in WOL. That seems more set in stone as not going to happen/change.

Did we find Geno in WOL?

(Also going on the guess that Mallow is White Kirby with lightning bolt items being frequent) Edit: WRONG
WoL is over
150-300 battles
and i'm pretty confident DLC content won't be in WoL at all. Specially since cloud isn't. I wouldn't worry too much.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
The character they used for mallow’s spirit battle is perfect considering the magic based attacks they use

I wonder what music is going to play during the battle though

RingJ5

Smash Ace
WoL is over
150-300 battles
and i'm pretty confident DLC content won't be in WoL at all. Specially since cloud isn't. I wouldn't worry too much.
No, he’s asking if the Geno Spirit was seen in WoL yet, as one of the fights. That seems less likely to potentially change than a Spirit that isn’t part of it.

Yes, he has been used as Megaman's Spirit.
So he has his own dedicated fight on the world map, you mean?

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
WoL is over
150-300 battles
You're absolutely right. I am just hoping Geno and Rayman are not in one of those 150-300 battles just because it might be easier to use him later as a part of the fighter pack.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
Yeah man 2B, Chocobo and ****ing Terra would be more popular with super smash brothers fans than Geno.

Imagine not wanting Geno so much you tell yourself this and totally ignore what a target market is
Also goes into the whole "third party characters must be icons" thing. Cloud is an icon. Pac Man is an icon. Sonic is an icon. Snake is an icon. Mega Man is an icon. The only third party that isn't an icon is Bayonetta - but she's practically first party at this point.

From a general viewer's perspective: what the **** is a 2B

D

Deleted member

Also goes into the whole "third party characters must be icons" thing. Cloud is an icon. Pac Man is an icon. Sonic is an icon. Snake is an icon. Mega Man is an icon. The only third party that isn't an icon is Bayonetta - but she's practically first party at this point.

From a general viewer's perspective: what the **** is a 2B
Not all third party characters have to be icons, that's what gives variety to the roster. But yes, 2B isn't either an icon or is close to Nintendo

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, if Geno won't be considered at all, and SE won't give anything new, then there won't be any SE characters for DLC, and Verge is going to put up with a lot of angry and confused fans who held on to his claims of a SE character coming.

That makes things even more nebulous.

Pdf2t33.gif

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
WoL is over
150-300 battles
Hmmm. Idk how to feel about this. I like the fact the dev team thought to include Geno and Mallow in WoL. But if it’s that many battles, there’s still 1000+ spirits. Does anyone think that characters with Spirit Battles like Mallow count as a soft deconfirm? Was Geno spirit on Mega Man the WoL fight or was it just a someone using the Geno spirit?

Was the rumor about Geno in NoA/NoJ regarding him as DLC or could it have been pertaining to his presence as a Spirit?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hmmm. Idk how to feel about this. I like the fact the dev team thought to include Geno and Mallow in WoL. But if it’s that many battles, there’s still 1000+ spirits. Does anyone think that characters with Spirit Battles like Mallow count as a soft deconfirm? Was Geno spirit on Mega Man the WoL fight or was it just a someone using the Geno spirit?

Was the rumor about Geno in NoA/NoJ regarding him as DLC or could it have been pertaining to his presence as a Spirit?
I don't think it's a deconfirm, considering the DLC character will likely have no interaction on the story even after they are released.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Did we find Geno in WOL?

You're absolutely right. I am just hoping Geno and Rayman are not in one of those 150-300 battles just because it might be easier to use him later as a part of the fighter pack.
I don’t really see WoL spirits as being more or less likely than other spirits. DLC is likely not going to be a part of WoL. At the end of the day they’re still just spirits so if you didn’t think spirits deconfirm before I don’t see why that should change now.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If we are getting Banjo as DLC then we should realize Nintendo is going for the fan choices. Minecraft would be the more obvious shill choice.

So if Square is getting a character we should have faith they heard our voice.

We just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I guess the saving grace for hope is that NoJ picked the DLC and not the dev team. They might not care about WoL spirits. And the Geno rumor along with Verge’s proposed SE character

Ayiyi

EDIT: also, id like to see a screen similar to what Polar posted

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here are Vergeben's words: "The Square Enix character is definitely happening though." He is so sure about it, so this could either end amazingly, or this could end horribly. Here is what I think the possibilities are since I don't think spirits deconfirm: We get a Mii costume for both Geno and Mallow, Geno is playable and Mallow is a Mii costume, Mallow is playable and Geno is a Mii costume (very unlikely), Geno and Mallow are a tag team, or both Geno and Mallow are each their own character

Gravitational23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gravitational23
Rule of thumb, if you've added nothing to this thread in the first place, you probably shouldn't announce you're withdrawing support of a character :)
True my bad. I'm not fully jumping just yet. I just want like a confirmation if Spirits deconfirm a character so we can get a better understanding of this whole ordeal.

link2702

Smash Champion
I keep hearing people discuss banjo like he’s a lock now? Was rare content datamined or something?

I’m tired of repeating myself , but again, wait until the vga awards at least before folks throw in the towel. No one has any idea who the se character will be. Spirits don’t confirm or deconfirm, anything.

D

Deleted member

Im still on it. I believed in K.Rool and now I'm here believing in Geno.
Hell, I would bet on it
Me too, man. It's not over till the star road is rebuilt!

L link2702 We aren't saying that anything is a lock, we are just saying that we think something will happen, and there isn't anything wrong with that

Last edited by a moderator:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be strange to see Geno not in some shape or form in his true self in the final product of the game. All third party Mii costumes are gone, yes, but every MegaMan Rep got a presence in the game as an AT or FS and they got spirits as well. Even Rathalos got a presence as Boss, AT, and Spirit. So that doesn’t concern me as much with Hunter’s Mii costume. Not to mention every Mii costume got some kind of representation as Stage Hazards, AT, or Fighters.

For Geno to JUST be a spirit...given he had a Mii costume doesn’t seem right to me. Mallow id understand. But Geno...hmm

Edit: also remember Sakurai said he gave us the Mii Costume so fans feel like they got something. I’m assuming this is because he could not dedicate time and resources to both Cloud and Geno and Cloud took precedent after negotiations. But now that Cloud is in...and we know how much Sakurai wants to please fans, it doesn’t seem viable for him to straight up take out the costume...HMMM

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I keep hearing people discuss banjo like he’s a lock now? Was rare content datamined or something?

I’m tired of repeating myself , but again, wait until the vga awards at least before folks throw in the towel. No one has any idea who the se character will be. Spirits don’t confirm or deconfirm, anything.
Some have found a datamine of Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps file names, which leads people to believe they could be spirit sets for a hypothetical Microsoft reveal.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I don't see why people think Spirits are hard disconfirmations. It's so silly. It's literally a png file of a character's old art. How does a Spirit instantly mean a character can't possibly be a fighter?? That just makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom