• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I don't put any stock into the blog theory. 7 newcomers is just wishful thinking. and I don't think they are even seeing the full picture when it comes to blog posts. they have listed the amount of things that still need to be posted on the blog. and how many days are left to fill. and if you count it all up I think it actually only left 3 spots left open? can't remember if that is with counting the 5 extra stages people are assuming will be in the game or not.

but the big problem I have is they are completely forgetting to account for the 11+ assist tropies we have yet to see (they have stated at E3 that there will be over 50 assist trophies in the game but we have only seen 40) a few of those could still be returning but I'm sure at least some have to be new. also what about all the single player modes? once those are revealed surely they are gonna talk about them in blog posts! wouldn't those end up taking some of the slots of those 7 characters?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I don't put any stock into the blog theory. 7 newcomers is just wishful thinking. and I don't think they are even seeing the full picture when it comes to blog posts. they have listed the amount of things that still need to be posted on the blog. and how many days are left to fill. and if you count it all up I think it actually only left 3 spots left open? can't remember if that is with counting the 5 extra stages people are assuming will be in the game or not.

but the big problem I have is they are completely forgetting to account for the 11+ assist tropies we have yet to see (they have stated at E3 that there will be over 50 assist trophies in the game but we have only seen 40) a few of those could still be returning but I'm sure at least some have to be new. also what about all the single player modes? once those are revealed surely they are gonna talk about them in blog posts! wouldn't those end up taking some of the slots of those 7 characters?
As I said in my reply to PapaGeno's tweet, I think we are going to get a number in-between those of the stupid box theory and the blog theory: we will get somewhere between 3-6 more characters, though while I originally thought that number would be for newcomers and not include echoes, I'm starting to think it might include echoes after all.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
The only thing holding water is verbagens confirmed information and what he has left. Box theory, blog theory, music theory, all of that comes from unaffiliated sources and is nonsense. Nintendo has edited their banner with everyone on it multiple times now, they aren’t confirming jack in a box render.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Yeah, I'm gradually getting tired of forum discussion myself. Outlook is so pessimistic right now, no one's thinking we might get a WTF as the last base roster pick instead of Ken. :glare:

Though this has me thinking, if Geno's the last regular reveal, would that make him the WTF?
Actually, I recently made a comment on a Source Gaming video about how every Smash so far has ended its reveals with a Retro/WTF character that no one predicted or wanted, and how it's likely to happen again. I don't know if it'd be Geno, and I can't say if Ken will actually be in (I'm believing no leaks or theories at present,) but I am more inclined to think whoever the final reveal is, it won't be predictable.

That being said, Geno may actually be that for the vast majority of Smash fans, the ones who Isabelle is targeted at, I mean. He's in a weird position of being 3rd party, retro, WTF and fan favorite, depending on who you ask. It's hard to say which way it'll go.

But I'm definitely not pessimistic. I think Geno is in the game. And I'll keep thinking that right up until the final reveal, whether or not he actually does get in. Better to be hopeful now and disappointed later than to just straight-up give up. :)

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Hey man, this is the third time I’ve been through this. Pessimism is a way of life around this character and it’s totally understandable. We got a lot going for us this time though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually, I recently made a comment on a Source Gaming video about how every Smash so far has ended its reveals with a Retro/WTF character that no one predicted or wanted, and how it's likely to happen again. I don't know if it'd be Geno, and I can't say if Ken will actually be in (I'm believing no leaks or theories at present,) but I am more inclined to think whoever the final reveal is, it won't be predictable.

That being said, Geno may actually be that for the vast majority of Smash fans, the ones who Isabelle is targeted at, I mean. He's in a weird position of being 3rd party, retro, WTF and fan favorite, depending on who you ask. It's hard to say which way it'll go.

But I'm definitely not pessimistic. I think Geno is in the game. And I'll keep thinking that right up until the final reveal, whether or not he actually does get in. Better to be hopeful now and disappointed later than to just straight-up give up. :)
That's definitely sound.

Of course, it's just as likely that they might celebrate Nintendo's early form of "DLC" with Parabo and Satebo, so who knows. :p
https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-137-PARABO-AND-SATEBO-731265851

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speculation this time around is kind of a downer, to be honest. Of course we're riding higher than a vast majority of fanbases but I feel like most are packing it up and packing it in really early this time around. Sure, K. Rool and Ridley were super cathartic for Smash fans but if anything negative is implied about a character then they simply fold. There's like... 6 really active character fanbases left and I think the Ashley fanbase is the only disconfirmed that still really talks to one another. Kinda depressing.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
That's definitely sound.

Of course, it's just as likely that they might celebrate Nintendo's early form of "DLC" with Parabo and Satebo, so who knows. :p
https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-137-PARABO-AND-SATEBO-731265851
I actually wouldn't mind them--they look unique, lol. Of course, they could take a left turn from even that, and give us the true mascot for digital downloading...

...Eshop Bag!

Speculation this time around is kind of a downer, to be honest. Of course we're riding higher than a vast majority of fanbases but I feel like most are packing it up and packing it in really early this time around. Sure, K. Rool and Ridley we're super cathartic for Smash fans but if anything negative is implied about a character then they simply fold. There's like... 6 really active character fanbases left and I think the Ashley fanbase is the only disconfirmed that still really talks to one another. Kinda depressing.
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer right now, but it won't be too much longer before everyone's back in full force for DLC speculation. I can actually see Sakurai releasing another ballot to gauge interest in which characters people want for DLC, considering there won't be any vets to bring back. And if THAT happens, you can be sure people will get fired up again.

There's just been a lot of obstacles for base game speculation, ever since Sakurai said not too many newcomers. It tempered everyone's hopes. But I do appreciate him saying it--otherwise things would have been crushing for many come release.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Does anyone think Sakurai's new comment on prioritizing characters from more relevant games is kind of him trying to hint that Geno is not in? Like a way to try and soften the blow?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Does anyone think Sakurai's new comment on prioritizing characters from more relevant games is kind of him trying to hint that Geno is not in? Like a way to try and soften the blow?
Wait, what new comment?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I actually wouldn't mind them--they look unique, lol. Of course, they could take a left turn from even that, and give us the true mascot for digital downloading...

...Eshop Bag!

I can actually see Sakurai releasing another ballot to gauge interest in which characters people want for DLC, considering there won't be any vets to bring back. And if THAT happens, you can be sure people will get fired up again.
The little bag that could.

But yeah that's what I'm banking on. I'd be more than ready to vouch for Master Higgins/Earthworm Jim/Duke Nukem again in such an eventuality.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Nah, I don't think so. Sakurai doesn't make indirect statements to soften blows--if he's going to do that, he'll just straight up say it, a la the e3 "don't expect too many" statement.

The only time he's vague is when he wants to mess with us, lol. And that usually ends positively.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai somehow managed to put in an even more obscure third party character in the form of Richter Belmont so I'm honestly not worried. If Sakurai can put in a character whose main staring role was in a Japanese exclusive 1993 PC game, I think we'll be okay.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
If Sora gets in, DLC is way more appropriate for him. A well-known character that will generate revenue all on his own, and I suspect as DLC it would be easier to negotiate with the big mouse.

Same goes for Banjo-Kazooie

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I hope we get Geno solely to close the book on this strange circle of the internet that seemed to worship this character around the Brawl times. I mean, I think he's a neat character with a cool design, but he's moreso a product of the culture surrounding him than a representative from Mario RPG.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I just think Sakurai is recognizing that the reveals so far were so hype that it's inflated the hopes of every fan base. Isabelle, as cool as she is in her own right, was a huge combo breaker for the reveal train that seemed destined to involve Skull Kid and Isaac in the September direct. Smash 4 had 15 newcomers at launch, Melee had 14, and we're at 9 so far. Sakurai's just underscoring his original statement of, "expect fewer newcomers."

If I had to guess, I think 2-3 unique newcomers and a couple echoes could still be possible. Five more reveals, echoes included, would put us right at Melee's 14 number, while Incineroar, Square, Ken would put us at 12. Yes, I'm totally biased for Geno, but I think he still has a strong shot based upon the hard evidence that we have: Mii Costume with splash page & music, Sakurai's comments, the old Brawl poll with Geno in 3rd, Yoko Shimomura remixing her Vega theme for Ultimate, etc.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The little bag that could.
But yeah that's what I'm banking on. I'd be more than ready to vouch for Master Higgins/Earthworm Jim/Duke Nukem again in such an eventuality.

Same but with Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), Billy and Jimmy Lee (Double Dragon), Bub and Bob (Bubble Bobble), Donkey Kong Junior, Stanley the Bugman (Donkey Kong 3), Lip (Panel de Pon), Arthur (Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins), and Mr. You (Sky Skipper) or even Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), Lolo (Adventures of Lolo), heck even Tamagon (Devil World/Demon World).

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai's comments are ment to temper out expectations. but more so the expectations of those going "we have 7 more characters to be revealed still!" 3 is still reasonable and considering all our info I think Geno still is very likely in there. but you know for those who are not a fan of Geno, Incineroar, or Ken. it's gonna hit them pretty hard. a lot of other fan groups are in a panic right now sadly. I am still hoping we could get 1 extra unique and maybe an echo or two as one final blow out.

keep in mind his wording seems to focus on the pace of when reveals are shown and less about how many there are. so this probably means we won't be getting an announcement for both October and November. but only one in either of those months depending on how they want to go about it.

but we are very likely to get another full on direct what with all the single player stuff still to be revealed. and at minimum it should have 2 characters. but might go for 3 uniques just to make it that much more of a final bang.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree. Sakurai's just trying to put a bullet in the head in the portion of Smash fans that are expecting like 20 newcomers in the base roster. He did the same thing for SSB4 too, hell, he did it for Brawl too but we kinda just ignored him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
ZachTheNCube,"guessed" these things many things correctly prior:

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

Just recently, Zach posted these tweets:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So Steve and Incineroar will be the last newcomer.

Geno will be DLC in 2019 and will be unlocked for Free if you have Switch Online.

Shadow and Ken are the final Echoes.

It may seem bull (Why is Geno DLC out of all of things?..Should been base..) but his predictions are suprisingly accurate. His prediction matches Verge's sources (Ice Climbers, Ridley, Isabelle, Possible Minecraft Rep, 2nd SE Rep, Incineroar, and Ken).

As usual, keep an eye for him...

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

Geno will be DLC in 2019 and will be unlocked for Free if you have Switch Online.

It may seem bull (Why is Geno DLC out of all of things?) but his predictions are suprisingly accurate. His prediction matches Verge's sources (Possible Minecraft Rep, 2nd SE Rep, Incineroar, and Ken).

Those all seem like lucky guesses to me. Isabelle's odds were always good, as were the chances of the IC's coming back. I mean, if this *is* true, I'll take free DLC over nothing, but I wanna see something more solid than Tweets that just happened to be right.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

It may seem bull (Why is Geno DLC out of all of things?..Should been base..) but his predictions are suprisingly accurate. His prediction matches Verge's sources (Ice Climbers, Ridley, Isabelle, Possible Minecraft Rep, 2nd SE Rep, Incineroar, and Ken).

I....I hate this:(:(:(:(:(

I don’t know about our girl guys:crying:

I feel scared someone help:crying:

Oops wrong thread sorry forgive me

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

1: Made after Vergeben leaked it.
2: Made after Vergeben leaked it.
3: Probably lucky guess. Someone I know personally predicted the same thing.
4: OK Ice Climbers were a given. Nobody wanted them cut to begin with. Not even Sakurai.

I think he's just riding off of the Vergeben leak. (It's like these characters are getting confirmed on his schedule and not Sakurai's and I hate it.)

[WARNING: THIS IS A LEGITIMATE CONCERN OF MINE. @Connorb0t2 I KNOW YOU WILL CALL ME OUT ON THIS. THIS IS A LEGITIMATE CONCERN OF MINE AND NOT AN ATTEMPT TO BRING EVERYONE ELSE DOWN] As for anyone saying that she's a possibility for DLC, I gotta disagree with you guys. We have so much evidence that she's in the base game in some capacity. It wouldn't make sense for all of this to be for a normal trophy, so unlike most characters, I think it's base roster or bust for her.

Edit: Oh no I'm on the wrong thread. I'm sorry for my Shantae talk, Geno fans. I got linked here from the Shantae thread and didn't realize it was on a different thread. I wish you all a good day and good luck on Geno. I'm so sorry.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
[WARNING: THIS IS A LEGITIMATE CONCERN OF MINE. @Connorb0t2 I KNOW YOU WILL CALL ME OUT ON THIS. THIS IS A LEGITIMATE CONCERN OF MINE AND NOT AN ATTEMPT TO BRING EVERYONE ELSE DOWN] As for anyone saying that she's a possibility for DLC, I gotta disagree with you guys. We have so much evidence that she's in the base game in some capacity. It wouldn't make sense for all of this to be for a normal trophy, so unlike most characters, I think it's base roster or bust for her.
Or maybe Sakurai, knowing that he couldn't fit a lot of newcomers for base game, was already planning for DLC and he already worked out a deal for Shantae later down the line. I dunno, just food for thought.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
My expected number of newcomers is 12 to match the original.

Also, I have subbed to a few new channels since E3 on YouTube because of the SSBU coverage. Just imagine the roster size if every character mentioned in these leaks were playable.

I do like Geno appearing as playable in nearly every single leak post.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

I followed that guy for a while prior to Pokemon Let's Go being announced because of how on top of the leaks he was. He is simply piggybacking off of rumors and guessing, I can assure you. He's not any more reliable than LoZ and Marcus Sellars.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I'm skeptical, although it wouldn't totally surprise me. Incineroar / Geno / Steve / Ken / Shadow / Dixie was my guess following the Isabelle reveal. I don't think it's totally out there to reach that conclusion based on the evidence and speculation we've been getting. He does have a string of correct predictions though, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. If it is true, I hope Geno still gets a trailer or some sort of fanfare. I've been really enjoying the cinematics so far and want to see how they realize Geno.

Last edited:

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
backtracking the conversation a bit, a quote from Sakurai has seemed to start floating around recently stating:

"Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority."

Seems like this was started by someone on Gamefaqs as "definitive proof" Geno isnt in the game, but seems to miss the context and date, as this was during the Smash 4 cycle and in 2015. Given our reveals so far, I think its safe to say that this isnt the case in the SSBU cycle.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
backtracking the conversation a bit, a quote from Sakurai has seemed to start floating around recently stating:

"Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority."

Seems like this was started by someone on Gamefaqs as "definitive proof" Geno isnt in the game, but seems to miss the context and date, as this was during the Smash 4 cycle and in 2015. Given our reveals so far, I think its safe to say that this isnt the case in the SSBU cycle.
does the guy even know who King K. Rool is?
Also Geno is from mario, a franchise that definitely has plans for future releases, even if they wont have geno in them, i think him being from mario is pretty huge

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Am I weird for wanting to hear Sean Schemmel sing this in his Black Doom voice?

EDIT: Oh shoot, I thought I was posting in the Shantae thread...

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Also Geno is from mario, a franchise that definitely has plans for future releases, even if they wont have geno in them, i think him being from mario is pretty huge
This. Tho, here's my thinking...if Geno gets in, it opens the door to future opportunities. Imagine our Magic Wooden Boy being Mario Kart DLC alongside the Moogle as a small Square Enix pack. Or being given cameos in other games. Smash could feasibly bring him back into the spotlight.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yeah but King K. Rool is from Donkey Kong Country, a game series that will have future releases. Also, he was planned for Tropical Freeze so you can't even say he wasn't going to show up again.

Still though, I haven't seen this alleged quote so I don't think it holds any water.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

View attachment 166844
View attachment 166845
View attachment 166846
View attachment 166847

Oof... I wouldn't mind Geno being a Nintendo Switch online reward if it wasn't for the worst case nightmare scenario where you can't play as him if your subscription lapses/the online service ends in the future

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Incidentally, I don't understand all the recent pessimism in this thread. Outside of Incineroar fans (all five of them) Geno fans should be sitting pretty and feeling super confident. We have more than enough evidence to believe that he's a solid lock. Meanwhile, all the other fanbases are standing on thin ice and throwing hail-maries.

This is the one thread I would have expected to still be optimistic.

NeonBorealis

Smash Rookie
Ok. I've been lurking this boards for more than a decade and I think it is finally rtime to step in and support Geno. It is about time I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom