• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Okay, I just feel like bringing this up because I was shocked about this.
https://soranews24.com/2018/09/27/b...-own-dedicated-fan-event-next-month-in-japan/
So, I think it's fair to say that this new Nintendo community is not dieing down soon, or at least will have a minimum of one big resurgance. Also, this is the first time I have seen Nintendo have any direct say on the subject, that being to naturally decline to comment. I would bring this up in the Peachette thread, but I don't want to doublepost, even if I am the person in charge.
On a list of things that I did not expect to see this year, this was at top.
I'm kinda in awe of how fast this exploded.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
https://soranews24.com/2018/09/27/b...-own-dedicated-fan-event-next-month-in-japan/
So, I think it's fair to say that this new Nintendo community is not dieing down soon, or at least will have a minimum of one big resurgance. Also, this is the first time I have seen Nintendo have any direct say on the subject, that being to naturally decline to comment. I would bring this up in the Peachette thread, but I don't want to doublepost, even if I am the person in charge.
Geez, who knew that a Power-Up for Toadette would create such a craze...

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
On a list of things that I did not expect to see this year, this was at top.
I'm kinda in awe of how fast this exploded.
I'm with you on that, though I wouldn't call it awe so much as complete confusion. I simply don't get what the big deal is about this one little bit of fan art. People have been creating stuff like this for years. I mean, tons of characters have been turned into ponies, gender swapped, etc. etc. etc...this is hardly new, and doesn't warrant near this much attention.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but can we please never bring this Bowsette thing up again? I'd like to discuss Smash, and Geno. I like this board and its community, but if this keeps coming up I'm gonna have to break for a while. I don't wanna have to do that...:ohwell:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm with you on that, though I wouldn't call it awe so much as complete confusion. I simply don't get what the big deal is about this one little bit of fan art. People have been creating stuff like this for years. I mean, tons of characters have been turned into ponies, gender swapped, etc. etc. etc...this is hardly new, and doesn't warrant near this much attention.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but can we please never bring this Bowsette thing up again? I'd like to discuss Smash, and Geno. I like this board and its community, but if this keeps coming up I'm gonna have to break for a while. I don't wanna have to do that...:ohwell:
This is definitely not the place for this, I agree.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That's irrelevant, unless we're going to change the parameters for music theory again. Music theory is the idea that a franchise only gets one song, and if that franchise has a unique newcomer, they'll only get a song after that newcomer is revealed. In all likelihood, either music theory is dead or Incineroar isn't in the game. (or any other new Pokemon).

I'm inclined to think music theory is dead, which is obviously good for Geno assuming he's Mario series.
Ah yes, a classic. Change the entire theory to fit the narrative, well done!
Woof, feeling slightly attacked here (mainly by whoever this KC wanna-be Straw Hat guy is), but that's fine. I don't even believe the music theory: the only things I feel hold weight are Vergeben and the Smash Blog theory, I was just suggesting that it was entirely possible for the music theory to still hold weight. I had some other things to point out, like Kirby's song being from Air Ride being spin-off music meaning that a BWD reveal wouldn't kill the theory either, but since I've already been slammed against like such I will refrain from offering any more potential enlightenment on the subject.

I feel you man, I also don't get why it just suddenly exploded. I think it's just the modern era of memedom: memes are not small anymore, everyone picks up on them and blows them up to a more grandiose scale, which then causes them to die out even quicker and be remember for a shorter period. The only thing about it remotely relevant is that some people have done art of Super Crown Geno, and even then it's only related by the character not the discussion. It's why I was nervous to bring in a Commonwealth Realm or LaxChris vid into the thread because it's not directly about Geno.

Also I think we can't gather much off Sakurai's interview here. We've had him be very forward about why he does stuff in prior interviews, but here I think he is definitely being purposely vague to keep things mysterious and unknown. The last time he said we wouldn't have too many new characters, he then immediately dropped Ridely and proceeded to give us Simon and K.Rool the next Direct, not to mentioned Daisy was before that statement and Richter, Chrom and D. Samus came after. What he thinks isn't many and what we think isn't many could be completely different things, and we won't know until we get there.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Woof, feeling slightly attacked here (mainly by whoever this KC wanna-be Straw Hat guy is), but that's fine. I don't even believe the music theory: the only things I feel hold weight are Vergeben and the Smash Blog theory, I was just suggesting that it was entirely possible for the music theory to still hold weight. I had some other things to point out, like Kirby's song being from Air Ride being spin-off music meaning that a BWD reveal wouldn't kill the theory either, but since I've already been slammed against like such I will refrain from offering any more potential enlightenment on the subject.

I feel you man, I also don't get why it just suddenly exploded. I think it's just the modern era of memedom: memes are not small anymore, everyone picks up on them and blows them up to a more grandiose scale, which then causes them to die out even quicker and be remember for a shorter period. The only thing about it remotely relevant is that some people have done art of Super Crown Geno, and even then it's only related by the character not the discussion. It's why I was nervous to bring in a Commonwealth Realm or LaxChris vid into the thread because it's not directly about Geno.

Also I think we can't gather much off Sakurai's interview here. We've had him be very forward about why he does stuff in prior interviews, but here I think he is definitely being purposely vague to keep things mysterious and unknown. The last time he said we wouldn't have too many new characters, he then immediately dropped Ridely and proceeded to give us Simon and K.Rool the next Direct, not to mentioned Daisy was before that statement and Richter, Chrom and D. Samus came after. What he thinks isn't many and what we think isn't many could be completely different things, and we won't know until we get there.
Yeah, memes are getting a little bit out of control recently. That's one of the things that bothers me the most: a lot of the time, it's people just being sheep, following along with whatever dumb thing is popular this week, without really stopping to consider if it's worth their time, or just because it seems like the thing to do. Personally, I'm the kind of guy who can't stand seeing the same joke repeated over and over again without any significant change. It just grates on me. That whole Ugandan Knuckles thing practically drove me over the edge, lol.

Anyway...about the theory stuff. I see where you're coming from to a point. Honestly, theories are pretty much vaporous and open to interpretation by nature anyway, so it's not like it's a stretch to say it could technically still be alive. By the definition I personally was believing the theory, though, it's dead to me. At this point, I'm about ready to stop believing all theories and even leaks, and simply just wait for confirmations. Nothing safer than that, lol.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm hearing talk that Vergeben has stated that numerous Square employees are given different information about who the new rep is, meaning no one actually knows who it is. If true, this casts doubt on Masked Man's pre-E3 comments and makes me even more confident about Geno. Currently looking for a source for that though.

cybersai

Smash Ace
It has to be Geno. Sora is still owned by Disney, and I don't think a Dragon Quest character would be considered back in 2015. Of course it could be another Final Fantasy character, but I doubt that.

As said Sakurai already obtained Geno's rights for the Mii outfit last time. Like what is the diference between a costume and a full character in terms of rights? Nothing, it's the same thing.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It has to be Geno. Sora is still owned by Disney, and I don't think a Dragon Quest character would be considered back in 2015. Of course it could be another Final Fantasy character, but I doubt that.

As said Sakurai already obtained Geno's rights for the Mii outfit last time. Like what is the diference between a costume and a full character in terms of rights? Nothing, it's the same thing.
I agree. Like, obviously, Dragon Quest is a big deal in Japan and it'd make sense for it to have a rep. But obtaining the rights for Dragon Quest (which is co-owned by Square, Armor Project. and Toriyama himself (Bird Studios) ), is possibly even more complex to negotiate than Sora, and Geno is owned just by Square, likely did better on the ballot than any potential Square rep. And was the *only* actual *character* to get a Mii costume. That should speak volumes by itself.

Edit: Armor Project, not Armor Inc.*

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I agree. Like, obviously, Dragon Quest is a big deal in Japan and it'd make sense for it to have a rep. But obtaining the rights for Dragon Quest (which is co-owned by Square, Armor Inc. and Toriyama himself (Bird Studios) ), is possibly even more complex to negotiate than Sora, and Geno is owned just by Square, likely did better on the ballot than any potential Square rep. And was the *only* actual *character* to get a Mii costume. That should speak volumes by itself.
Ah, I had no idea so many companies had stake in DQ...if that's true, that's a huge hurdle for a character from DQ. And with Sora being Disney's, that really only leaves FF as competition for Geno. And I certainly don't think it'll be an FF rep--cloud is enough.

I guess there's always Chrono Trigger...but that seems even MORE unlikely. Unless we get that Robo echo of Geno.:grin:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Maybe I’m biased, but I firmly believe if Square gets representation in the base game, it’ll be Geno. I can’t see anyone in the Smash community having more popularity. As everyone knows, Sakurai already spoke about wanting him in, and I can’t say that about other Square characters. There are just too many things going for Geno that I just can’t see someone else getting in ahead of him. I think Sora is the biggest competition, and I think there are too many hurdles. DQ and Chrono Trigger aren’t a threat in my opinion.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ah, I had no idea so many companies had stake in DQ...if that's true, that's a huge hurdle for a character from DQ. And with Sora being Disney's, that really only leaves FF as competition for Geno. And I certainly don't think it'll be an FF rep--cloud is enough.

I guess there's always Chrono Trigger...but that seems even MORE unlikely. Unless we get that Robo echo of Geno.:grin:
I'd be lying if I said Crono wouldn't hype me into next week, but it seems way more likely it's Geno at this point for sure.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'd be lying if I said Crono wouldn't hype me into next week, but it seems way more likely it's Geno at this point for sure.
Would actually really like both. They've both left a lasting legacy...but I'll take Geno 10/10 times first.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I was checking out the list of Mii costumes in Smash 4, and I remembered a very important detail:

When Geno's Mii costume was released, it was the only costume. Just Geno, and a Chocobo headgear. Not only was he the only Square Enix rep, but he was released by himself. The only Mii costume to be announced solo, and star solo in a DLC wave. That's a huge detail I haven't heard anyone mention in a while!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I was checking out the list of Mii costumes in Smash 4, and I remembered a very important detail:

When Geno's Mii costume was released, it was the only costume. Just Geno, and a Chocobo headgear. Not only was he the only Square Enix rep, but he was released by himself. The only Mii costume to be announced solo, and star solo in a DLC wave. That's a huge detail I haven't heard anyone mention in a while!
He was also the only Mii costume to get a splash screen. They know what they're doing.

Rubbertop

Smash Cadet
NNID
Matt.C
3DS FC
4511-0538-1886
Hey all, It's been a few years since I've been able to access this account, but I'm back, and you can add me to this list as well. Ever since Ridley's reveal in June, I've had the sneaking suspicion that K. Rool and Geno would follow, now we've got two out of three, and K. Rool was my most wanted in the Sm4sh days! I give you guys my blessing and look forward to where ever the Hype Train takes us.

Xigger

Smash Lord
He was also the only Mii costume to get a splash screen. They know what they're doing.
That's the point that normally gets thrown around. Splash screen, and his Square-licensed trailer-only music was playing. But even if fans ignore that, being released by himself is yet another clear indicator that places him above all other Mii costumes. I wonder why this doesn't get mentioned more?

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Actually I think this new Sakurai article does tell us some stuff. not a lot. but some.

one of the leading arguments to why there would still be more than 2 or 3 characters left in the game was because they thought there was no way they would front load their announcements with things like K rool and not leave much left for the rest of the year. but Sakurai straight out saying they went overboard early tells us the next smash direct likely isn't gonna have reveals on the level of the first smash focused direct. also seems to imply that the info droughts are sadly gonna be getting longer from here on out. with more time between reveals.

after hearing all this I think what is gonna happen is we will get one more direct for smash and that will be it. with probably just Incineroar+ Ken opening and Geno closing. ending us on 70 uniques 6 echoes. maybe more echoes if we are lucky. but now I'm having a hard time believing we are getting any more than 2 uniques.

also we learned that a character can't be an echo if they have different body proportions! some actual rules for echoes! sorry Waluigi, you couldn't have even been a Luigi Echo

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Actually I think this new Sakurai article does tell us some stuff. not a lot. but some.

one of the leading arguments to why there would still be more than 2 or 3 characters left in the game was because they thought there was no way they would front load their announcements with things like K rool and not leave much left for the rest of the year. but Sakurai straight out saying they went overboard early tells us the next smash direct likely isn't gonna have reveals on the level of the first smash focused direct. also seems to imply that the info droughts are sadly gonna be getting longer from here on out. with more time between reveals.

after hearing all this I think what is gonna happen is we will get one more direct for smash and that will be it. with probably just Incineroar+ Ken opening and Geno closing. ending us on 70 uniques 6 echoes. maybe more echoes if we are lucky. but now I'm having a hard time believing we are getting any more than 2 uniques.

also we learned that a character can't be an echo if they have different body proportions! some actual rules for echoes! sorry Waluigi, you couldn't have even been a Luigi Echo
As much as I love Waluigi, his inclusion was crushed at E3, and people need to accept this.

Also, Sakurai has trolled us before. As I previously stated, we could easily get a Smash Direct and a Nintendo direct announcing characters, though my previous belief that we could still get two Smash Directs has jumped out the window at this point. I feel like any more solo announcements for just a regular Direct would be Incineroar with MAYBE Ken slapped in there, but likely just Incineroar after something big Pokemon related (maybe trailer/teaser for Gen 8?) and then the last Smash Direct will give us two new comers and Ken plus another echo. Here is hoping for our Blue Puppet Boy and that our brothers down the forum road for their Golden Adept Boy.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Slight correction

It ends with the mewtwo esc reveal a little after geno (first dlc character reveal)

There’s still too much going for geno for him not to be base but could be dlc

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I agree that Geno will most likely be DLC. It's not sure, but I think it can work.
DLC characters have to be popular characters because they need to sell.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m not quite leaving the geno for base train the only way that’s happening if Vergeben SE rep is not geno

If that’s th case then I will be on geno DLC team (could get a mewtwo like reveal for him if dlc)

Wasn't Mewtwo free DLC?

I don't remember having to pay for him.
That was club Nintendo benefit I got it, also get mewtwo a month early as well

But the first dlc character could just be free altogether do to fan request for this one (if banjo or geno)

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
EDIT::ultgreninja:
Wasn't Mewtwo free DLC?

I think it was free only for some people. I can't remember what was the requirement but I think he became paid.

Probably for people who had both versions of the game, or I'm confusing it with the soundtrack CD?

Anyway, of the old DLCs, the only unpopular one was Corrin, the other characters were all very popular, or veterans.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I agree that Geno will most likely be DLC. It's not sure, but I think it can work.
DLC characters have to be popular characters because they need to sell.
I completely disagree. Sure, if he ends up that way, we will still be happy to have him but...imagine how many fans would feel milked and cheated that they have to pay for Geno after they already had to pay for a Mii Costume back in Smash 4 and made it clear how much they want him. Also, Mewtwo wasn't announced until after the 3DS version had been out in the States for a couple weeks and was announced to come out some time in April of the next year, just about six months after the release of the WiiU version.

At BEST they will say they plan on having DLC, but not who it is until a Direct sometime after launch. There is no way they would taint their record of handling DLC the best out of any fighting game developer out there thus far, or as a video game company in general really.

Wasn't Mewtwo free DLC?

He was free for those who bought both the 3DS version and WiiU version and registered them on Club Nintendo before March 31st.

Also...

They already killed most hype for the game with Isabelle. Might as well kill it further by announcing nothing. I guess all the good characters will be DLC which makes sense.
Found this in the comments section of that link with the Sakurai interview...man, what is wrong with people? I've never touched an Animal Crossing game in my life and I got hype at Isabelle's reveal because, newsflash: appeasing just us old-school fans of Smash isn't the only thing that needs to be done here, and it's all Sakurai has done with his reveals (though I guess Chrom could be argued to be newer fans, but FE: Awakening came out in 2013, so idk if that counts as new or old at this point).

Seriously, it's not just about us old fuddyduds guys: there is a new generation of Switch owners to appeal to, and Isabelle not only appeals to a different demographic (though New Leaf come out in 2012, so technically that makes Isabelle fans older than Chrom fans? This Nintendo timeline for people wanting characters in Smash is weird, least of all us here wanting a 22-yr-old character from a single game, XD) but can appeal to a younger, more modern audience. Incineroar will do the same while also having our new 'mon rep, so it's important for Nintendo and Sakurai to hear and please all sorts of fans, not just us.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Although some people are being not smart I will put it that way

Some people think Vergeben is not real anymore all because only one of his sources said Isabelle is a echo

It’s just 1 source it may not even be the one where he got simon from plus we got Isabelle and Vergeben wasn’t sure if she was echo or unique

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Although some people are being not smart I will put it that way

Some people think Vergeben is not real anymore all because only one of his sources said Isabelle is a echo

It’s just 1 source it may not even be the one where he got simon from plus we got Isabelle and Vergeben wasn’t sure if she was echo or unique
And, to paraphrase PapaGenos and many others, neither did most of us when the reveal started. Most people had it click at the party popper/fishing rod. I was also one of clicked at the party popper, but I was super confused because as soon as they put up the splash art I had said 'SHE'S HER OWN CHARACTER!' because only unique characters have gotten trailers, but then her intro scene and dash attack mixed me up good.

Let's just hope she doesn't mix us up as hard in tournament.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good lord, not even Eggette had this much support. Gotta feel sorry for the original artist of this trend.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I need a drink.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I'm just gonna have to repost this every time someone brings up Geno as DLC or any DLC for that matter

"These days, the “DLC scam” has become quite the epidemic, charging customers extra money to complete what was essentially an unfinished product. I completely understand how aggravated players must feel. After all, a game should be 100% done at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces." - Sakurai

Also people Mewtwo was a special case that isn't gonna be repeated "We originally decided to create Mewtwo on the premise that we would distribute him as a special thanks to users who bought both versions of Sm4sh" - Sakurai

It's too early to even be talking about DLC. I hope eventually I won't have to bring this up again. anyway

That thing about DQ having multiple owners gives me even more reason to believe Geno is the only Possible SE character. DQ and Sora have legal issues that make them harder to deal with (and Sora has had some small knocks hinting at him not being in) Final fantasy is no way because if they had another character they would have had another song to be that character's theme. and Crono isn't even that popular among Chrono Trigger fans in the first place.

No body is standing in Geno's way.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Yeah if Sakurai got the rights for Geno back in 2015, he was obviously decided to be a character in the base game for Ultimate. He wouldn't be DLC if they got the rights to make him back in 2015, c'mon now.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Even though Crono would be awesome in Smash, I’d definitely take the one sent by a higher authority over him if I had the chance.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah if Sakurai got the rights for Geno back in 2015, he was obviously decided to be a character in the base game for Ultimate. He wouldn't be DLC if they got the rights to make him back in 2015, c'mon now.
Exactly! he's not gonna plan THAT far back for DLC! if anyone Incineroar is the most likely to be DLC out of the 3 we know from vergeben since his game came out after the project plan was finalized. (but like I've stated there is not gonna be any plans for DLC currently)

I think people just assumed he'd be the DLC since there was a mystery around the SE character while we knew who the pokemon was. but now we know the reason why the SE character is so mysterious isn't because there is less work or something done on him but because of Square's methods for handling leaks. I could also see that being why Geno wouldn't be on the box either actually! because of who they are working with Nintendo is taking extra precautions.

also anyone find it interesting how after all this time none of vergeben's sources have found a hint of any new characters? it might be possible that it's because there really is no more left and they do know the rest. granted also one has remained hidden like K. Rool. but who knows.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I just expected Geno as DLC because of the dumb Box Theory being hammered into speculation and hurting my wanted characters' viewed chances, which includes Geno. I want him in base-game, I just thought DLC would be a safe prediction.

However, can't wait for Box Theory to be proven wrong, even if we only get 1-2 more characters than the box implies.

of course, no matter what happens, at least we got ICE CLIMBERS

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Good lord, not even Eggette had this much support. Gotta feel sorry for the original artist of this trend.
I mean, he is flattered, but it has freaked him out at how much of a trend his art caused.
Has not stopped him from making new art though, and he clearly likes the work the community has put into it.

Anyway, I have been kinda avoiding these roster predicting theory things. It gets kinda tiring after a while, though I might look into the blog theory in a bit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyway, I have been kinda avoiding these roster predicting theory things. It gets kinda tiring after a while, though I might look into the blog theory in a bit.
Yeah, I'm gradually getting tired of forum discussion myself. Outlook is so pessimistic right now, no one's thinking we might get a WTF as the last base roster pick instead of Ken. :glare:

Though this has me thinking, if Geno's the last regular reveal, would that make him the WTF?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm gradually getting tired of forum discussion myself. Outlook is so pessimistic right now, no one's thinking we might get a WTF as the last base roster pick instead of Ken. :glare:

Though this has me thinking, if Geno's the last regular reveal, would that make him the WTF?
I think that may be why I have enjoyed this art talk, because it's nice to see a trend that's motivated by creativity and something positive(Even if some will disagree) rather than something controversial and negative. It's pleasing to see the internet community unite at a level we haven't seen since the starting Weeks of Pokemon Go. And I am glad that SMRPG got recognized by the trend, even if it was just a little bit. Show's what's on the public consciousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom