• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it still hasn’t been debunked.

Either someone quickly snapped the best photo they could of legit in-game Smash Ultimate Geno, or they’re an amazing artist that’s messing with a lot of people’s emotions. What leads me to believe it’s real is that it’s a really nice render but a fairly poor photo.

If the leaker had created that artwork themselves independently, why not showcase the full HD file rather than a crappy photo of it?

Again, they could just be an amazing artist (and one also smart enough to fool me) but I’ll be danged if that isn’t the best new Geno art I’ve seen in awhile in a format that suggests we aren’t supposed to see it yet.
I know. It is 2018 and you'd think by now people who want to leak things would put out top of the line vids, pics without blurriness.

Hats off to Sakurai for keeping one step ahead of leakers. If this were any other character I'd want to be surprised. But after 22 years I feel like I'm on a need to know asap basis. I'm making an exception.

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
people do constantly make the comparison of Geno and Mario Galaxy, since you know stars and god figures and what have you, but i don't often see people bring the fact Geno is also a star that possessed a thing, now what recent mario game has a theme of possession Geno predicted galaxy and odyssey confirmed

...i bring this comparison to say damn would a geno costume in Mario odyssey be cool as hell

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it'd be awesome to see Geno and Rosalina together for some starry goodness :)
Or something to harken to his real origins.

Hey, Geno might've been a Luma at some point :p jk

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
people do constantly make the comparison of Geno and Mario Galaxy, since you know stars and god figures and what have you, but i don't often see people bring the fact Geno is also a star that possessed a thing, now what recent mario game has a theme of possession Geno predicted galaxy and odyssey confirmed

...i bring this comparison to say damn would a geno costume in Mario odyssey be cool as hell
It's just fun headcanon. Speculation how Geno would fit into modern Mario lore.

Galaxy (or even Odyssey) would have been great for Geno to make an appearance.

But there is the fact Miyamoto doesn't seem to like Mario lore.

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I would love to think so. The one thing that's bugging me with it is the fact that his head is clipping through the cape on the left.
Hmmm you seem to have a point its kind of hard to make out though if its clipping or its overlapping. Notice how the end of the collar where hes leaning his head to is unfolded while the other side is folded. Its like its his turn around animation and it caused him to unfold that part of the collar. Thats a sakurai detail.

Edit: actually its not folded lol. My observations suck. I still think its legit though.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Capes overall are hard to do without clipping occurring.

I've actually been thinking about that recently.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I believe that what is so special about Geno's inclusion would be the power of fans overcoming all the odds and bringing back a much beloved character in the forefront who should not have disapeared. Geno and Mallow should have been part of the Mario family and all the associated games for all those years.

Super mario rpg is an awesome game and if Geno gets in Smash, it opens up so many possibilities. SE finally saying ok to nintendo to use Mallow and Geno. People discovering mario rpg after Playing as him in smash. Boosting his popularity even more. And making a come back in future mario games.

All because of the fans. It would be gratifying to reward all those years of support and campaigning. Exactly like King K. Rool

xNaz

Smash Cadet
I think it's funny that people still try to bring up the fact that Geno's only appearance was as a side character in an old spinoff title. That doesn't matter; Sakurai's only concern this time around is how much people want the character and support for this dude has stuck around strong since Brawl.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
I think it's funny that people still try to bring up the fact that Geno's only appearance was as a side character in an old spinoff title. That doesn't matter; Sakurai's only concern this time around is how much people want the character and support for this dude has stuck around strong since Brawl.
i think most relevancy arguments are pretty moot for Geno simply because sakurai was already trying to get him in smash, implying all of this is already sorted out in sakurais mind and that he somehow already passes the relevancy check... or sakurai felt that his other upsides were too big to let one issue like that take over

the only real other argument is that Square wouldn't push for such a non-relevant character, but they already thought Cloud was too old supposedly so that seems false too

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

Rosalina is secretly the higher authority ;3

Wambo

Smash Ace
You think that's funny, you should see some of the anti-Geno posts on 4chan.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Geno should totally become a part of Rosalina's crew.

Better than sitting in Square's broom closet.

xNaz

Smash Cadet
You think that's funny, you should see some of the anti-Geno posts on 4chan.
Are they like the hat goomba posts any time BWD is brought up? 4chan will have false flaggers in any thread no matter what character you suggest.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Are they like the "hat goomba" posts any time BWD is brought up?
Here's some common posts flung around, probably from the same guy:
> Geno is a literal "who"
> Why does everyone want this one-shot nobody in Smash?
> Square Enix just wants Geno in so they can ruin Smash
> Putting Geno in is like putting Goombella from TYD in Smash

Honestly, I think they're just worried because he has a better chance than they want to admit.

link2702

Smash Champion
You know, if Geno does get in, I’m hoping he becomes one of the most popular smash characters to the point where Nintendo seriously considers buying all rights to smrpg and its characters so they could freely use them whenever.
EDIT: crazy wishful thinking I know but i can dream. Course square gotta be willing to sell too.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
It sounds like the people who are just following the "leakers" blindly. And not actual good leakers, but the worst of the garbage cans.

And yeah, while I may not understand Geno in much the same way a lot of you guys do, I hope that he will come in. Even if I am personally supporting Shantae all the way to her end, any character who gets into smash will get my respect and I will live to respect Sakurai's decisions.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Here's some common posts flung around, probably from the same guy:
> Geno is a literal "who"
> Why does everyone want this one-shot nobody in Smash?
> Square Enix just wants Geno in so they can ruin Smash
> Putting Geno in is like putting Goombella from TYD in Smash

Honestly, I think they're just worried because he has a better chance than they want to admit.
To be honest, the first two critics are kinda legit in my opinion.
BUT.
What is interesting with Geno is that he's not "a cool main character in a 20 years old spinoff game" anymore, he became more than that. And that's what makes him iconic in my opinion. Sure, his game is a classic and started to introduce some story in Mario games but there's something more important than that.

What he represents is the most important thing. He represents the dedication of the Smash Bros Community. He represents the crazyness of the Smash speculations scene. Sure, we had bigger names than him like Ridley, K Rool or Mewtwo, but unlike them, Geno is the ultimate underdog since the beginning. And the fact that Sakurai acknowledged him (and will add him) is awesome. His inclusion will be the ultimate proof that fans can change everything.

I think it would be cool to see Geno being the first and only character to have the Smash Ball as his icon. Because in my opinion, he's more iconic for his legendary status in the Smash history than his role in SMRPG.

ThatIsFalco

Smash Rookie
To be honest, the first two critics are kinda legit in my opinion.
BUT.
What is interesting with Geno is that he's not "a cool main character in a 20 years old spinoff game" anymore, he became more than that. And that's what makes him iconic in my opinion. Sure, his game is a classic and started to introduce some story in Mario games but there's something more important than that.

What he represents is the most important thing. He represents the dedication of the Smash Bros Community. He represents the crazyness of the Smash speculations scene. Sure, we had bigger names than him like Ridley, K Rool or Mewtwo, but unlike them, Geno is the ultimate underdog since the beginning. And the fact that Sakurai acknowledged him (and will add him) is awesome. His inclusion will be the ultimate proof that fans can change everything.

I think it would be cool to see Geno being the first and only character to have the Smash Ball as his icon. Because in my opinion, he's more iconic for his legendary status in the Smash history than his role in SMRPG.
Not to ruin your mini-speech, but the mii fighters had/still have the smash ball as their icon. But I agree with everything else. His popularity has set him apart from just a "random Mario character" and for that reason I think he should get his own icon. That, and we might be getting Mario music tomorrow night haha

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, you're right, i forgot about MII Fighters. :laugh:
Then, let's make Geno the second character with that icon !

domriver

Smash Lord
Everytime i think of how they’d reveal geno, I keep thinking it’d have to be in some form with the n64 original intro. Complete with the blocky polygons of it. Thing is, it wouldn’t be too exciting if it just started with master hand grabbing geno from the toy box right from the start...so I’m not sure the best way sakurai could do it...
For some reason I think Sakurai will start Geno's reveal with the intro of SMRPG
Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyYkBvNMvA

I'm all for Geno's inclusion. Put me up as a supporter.
We appreciate your support. Thank you!

On another topic guys I have a question and this COULD be just wishful thinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MEOGwt5wqo

Thats the intro to SMRPG like when the bridge collapses etc..
Do you think Geno's reveal is purposely being withheld because it PROBABLY ties in to the new mode that we may get? What If Square really gave Sakurai the go-ahead and use whatever you want from the series? Will SMRPG Universe play a huge role into this mode? OR What - what you guys think? I guess just wait and see jejeje.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
Over the top?, i mean i 100 precented Half genie hero and neither her portraits nor her sprites really convinced me she was that over the top, especially comparing her to Pit's portraits from uprising

also this does make me wonder how expressive geno could be...
View attachment 161518
im sure whichever characters get in will be getting a good amount of the "expression" treatment, and so far the smash bros team is doing a fantastic job.

but for me, its less about expression and more about art style of each character, which (I won't lie) is what made Fire Emblem characters rub me the wrong way this time around. even without being from the same franchise, characters like palutena, shulk, and Cloud aren't getting any easier on my eyes. its all very "anime-esque" which is completely fine (Nintendo is from japan for crying out loud XD). I would just like to see some variety. I think both shovel knight and shantae have that in spades.
Geno is kind of a cool example of this, because while he is from the Mario universe, he isn't TOO Mario-eqsue.. if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I feel like we're running out of time. Either Sakurai is saving Geno for last cause he's special or I'm afraid he may be left out again.

NintendoFan388

Smash Rookie
I feel like we're running out of time. Either Sakurai is saving Geno for last cause he's special or I'm afraid he may be left out again.
I feel like Geno will be revealed during the next Nintendo Direct, to complete the trinity and give us long time fans something to look forward to.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Doesn't he realize that some of us have been waiting a REALLY long time for this? It's not right to play with people's emotions.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I'll support you, just so you all are happy. Never played SMRPG. So I have no connection, I just want to see all of your joyous reactions

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
The last reveal never was a HUGE surprise or a really wanted character. Most of the time, most wanted newcomers are among the first reveals (Mega Man and Little Mac). We can see the same thing for Smash Ultimate (pretty much everyone).

We are all focused on December but the truth is that we could see Geno in Smash Bros before October. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The last reveal never was a HUGE surprise or a really wanted character. Most of the time, most wanted newcomers are among the first reveals (Mega Man and Little Mac). We can see the same thing for Smash Ultimate (pretty much everyone).

We are all focused on December but the truth is that we could see Geno in Smash Bros before October. ;)
This is why I'm looking forward to the next WTF newcomer, if only to silence everyone who thinks Sakurai wouldn't "waste" a slot on somebody that wasn't highly requested in the ballot. :p

Last edited:

gebi

Cloud Prince
Doesn't he realize that some of us have been waiting a REALLY long time for this? It's not right to play with people's emotions.
He isnt playing with emotions. You can say that for any unconfirmed character if that's the case.

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Geno feels very much like he'd be a finale reveal. Especially if his reveal video was themed around the original intro of Smash 64. It would be like the ultimate way of coming full circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom