• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I think Geno will be the final newcomer. His trailer should be a recreation of the n64 intro. The bedroom now looks to be one of an adult rather than a kid like in n64. Masterhand goes to grab the toys but this time instead of going for Mario he instead moves to under the bed and finds an old toy forgotten by time. He grabs the toy and puts it on the table, sets up the area then 3, 2, 1 SNAP! Geno flies down from the sky and possesses the toy. GENO SHOOTS FOR THE STARS!
This is probably my favorite idea thus far. Would be totally different, and gives me a Toy Story 3 vibe. Well done!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh btw, late opinion, I don't trust that leak you guys were talking about earlier. Specifically vecause there is no way Falacta Knight is an echo, as Meta Knight has an alt that is emulating him, even with the same mask design. With other echos, Sakurai got rid of the alts that emulated them, that being Ike's Chrom alt and the Dark Samus alt. It makes no sense.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Oh btw, late opinion, I don't trust that leak you guys were talking about earlier. Specifically vecause there is no way Falacta Knight is an echo, as Meta Knight has an alt that is emulating him, even with the same mask design. With other echos, Sakurai got rid of the alts that emulated them, that being Ike's Chrom alt and the Dark Samus alt. It makes no sense.
Agreed, there's no way Galacta Knight is gonna be an echo given MK has an alt of him, lol.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my gut feeling truly leans towards that Geno will be the last character revealed. I can't think of any better character to end off on, at least not with our purple dragon and crocodile king already confirmed.

The only other character I think can come close to that level is Banjo-Kazooie. But I think Geno is for whatever reason more likely.

Another thing people are sleeping on, is since we got the Mii costume in 4, Sakurai has already gotten the rights to Geno's name and likeness before. Unless there's some big issue in terms of copyright legality with Mii costume vs. an actual character, I don't see there being any issue from Square's end.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Another thing people are sleeping on, is since we got the Mii costume in 4, Sakurai has already gotten the rights to Geno's name and likeness before. Unless there's some big issue in terms of copyright legality with Mii costume vs. an actual character, I don't see there being any issue from Square's end.
It seems like a highly specific reason for them to do something like this. I don't brush it past SE to do something as scummy as this, but I can't help but speculate why Square Enix would approve of a Mii Fighter Costume but not a Playable Character. Could there be any logical reasons or theories behind a decision like this?

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
So I'll be honest, in the past I was kinda anti-Geno. Maybe it comes from never playing Super Mario RPG, but I never saw him as Smash material. Always seemed like just a random character that somehow became popular.

However, in my time going through Smash speculation, especially this go around, I've really started to warm up to the idea. Mainly for his fans. As a die hard supporter for Ridley and K. Rool, I know how it feels to have your character glossed over for years. Ultimate was the game that finally made those dreams come true and honestly, I think Geno is a super likely pick this go around. The appearance of long time fan requests like Ridley and K. Rool, the fact that all is competition from the Mario series is out of the running (RIP Captain Toad), the Mii costume, and the simple fact he's been mentioned explicitly by Sakurai as someone he wanted playable in the past.

Many have mentioned it already, but the presence of Ridley and K. Rool gives me hope for the Brawl era popular picks like Geno, Isaac, and Skull Kid. Even though I'm doubting Isaac's chances at this point, it would be amazing to see these guys get in.

So count me in as a Geno supporter. I may not have a strong love for the character, but with the massive focus on fan service this go around, I think he belongs in Smash, for the fans.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Just checking in before I head off on a cruise for a week! Glad to see so many new supporters and some returning ones! I have faith in our chances.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think that if Geno is going to be revealed, he will be the last character shown.

Something that people ignore when think about Geno's relevance is that his support comes since the Melee days, and since then, it never stopped.
Geno may not be all that relevant to Nintendo, but he is to Smash, because of his history of being highly requested and getting actual content in the game already.
So, while it's not 100% confirmed that Geno will be in the game, I think that his chances are very high this time.
Well, unless they will save him for DLC, because they know that we all will buy him and they can make some safe money from him... but that would be unfair.

Honestly this would not surprise me that much... People overrated that character a lot. I know that they are adding characters out of popularity, but I think that in some cases popularity is not enough. "Bandana Dee" has some huge obstacles to overcome before becoming playable, and one of those obstacles IMO is Toad being playable first. Since Toad is not being playable (still part of Peach/Daisy) and Cpt. Toad is almost deconfirmed, I doubt Sakurai will put an equivalent character from a less important series into the game, no matter how popular he is. But everything can happen and nothing is decided yet, there is no real way to predict.

A second FF character is not impossible too: just yesterday in the speculation thread I speculated somehing like that, due to the fact that they have shown the FF music screen and only 2 tracks were in it (when Castlevania has like 30 tracks? Can't remember but they were a lot). I think that the reason why only 2 tracks were shown is because they are keeping the other tracks secret, and they will reveal them when the character will be revealed. Anyway, this does not exclude Geno from being added as well (Konami has 3 characters, I know that one of them is an echo but still... Also Bomberman is probably not a newcomer only for low moveset potential).

By the way, I would like to see the full leak if possible, do someone have a list of the leaked characters?
If they wanted to hide other Final Fantasy tracks the easier thing to do would have just been not scrolling over it. I think the more likely option is the fact that Final Fantasy music is extremely difficult to license and even if you do license it, it's extremely expensive

domriver

Smash Lord
You know, as much as I expect Forest Maze to be Geno's stage if he gets in, I think it would be cool if it ended up being Bowser's Keep instead. I feel like Bowser's Castle is looong overdue as a stage choice and I think it would be super awesome to kill two birds with one stone and make it Bowser's Keep instead.

Plus, Exor is probably an even more iconic boss from that series than even Smithy (or Culex) since he actually shows up in the opening and on the title screen (and game art). Also, also... he does tie to Geno in a multitude of ways having been the one to directly destroy the Star Road and being the only boss in the game that Geno can one-shot with Geno Whirl.

I'm just saying, guys. >_>
all the more reason!
I think Geno will be the final newcomer. His trailer should be a recreation of the n64 intro. The bedroom now looks to be one of an adult rather than a kid like in n64. Masterhand goes to grab the toys but this time instead of going for Mario he instead moves to under the bed and finds an old toy forgotten by time. He grabs the toy and puts it on the table, sets up the area then 3, 2, 1 SNAP! Geno flies down from the sky and possesses the toy. GENO SHOOTS FOR THE STARS!
This would be very niceeeeeee.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, Exor. The first time I played Mario RPG it was on a rented game. I opened up someone's save, and it was right before the battle with Exor.

It was also the first time I played an RPG

And I got slaughtered. And I tried over and over to beat him. I ended up just starting a new game so I could figure out what was going on up to that point.

The next time I got to Exor it was all on my own. And I STILL got slaughtered.

I eventually beat him normally.

Then, years later when I finally had Mario RPG I knew at that point that Exor could be killed by Geno Whirl. And that was the most satisfying of kO's

Edit: We're pretty close to 100 members, and we now have supporters from every alphebetical letter expect Q and U

So if you know anyone who's screen name starts with Q or U and likes Geno, get 'em in here!

Last edited:

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Just a little side detour for something I noticed on the smash site. If you set the fighters to be organized by series it displays them differently and you end up seeing this beauty for G&W.
200075BA-8535-4370-ACCC-EBACE6D95385.jpeg
This is just poor placement of a stock icon on Nintendo’s part.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Speaking of, anybody wonder how Geno Whirl as an attack might work? Obviously the draw in to the otherwise average attack is the chance to do maximum damage with a well timed button press. Given that, and knowing Sakurai's eye for detail, he would probably try to incorporate that feature into Smash. Still, I wonder how that would work. Obviously an actual insta kill or max knock back or damage would be OP, so we wouldn't want that. I saw a YouTube video suggest that timing a press of the special button right when the attack hits an opponent could make it do the same damage and knockback as a Smash attack. This could work, but there's always the chance it could be cheesed by just mashing the special button (unless Geno's moves were only designed to get one shot at the timed button press.). Maybe this could be circumvented by making Geno Whirl a slow move that you can't just spam,but fast enough to throw out if you feel lucky?

Mariobro_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mariobro_WiiU
3DS FC
1805-2375-5612
Switch FC
7913-4114-6709
one concept i absolutely adore is how the Geno reveal could go down -
the direct starts, the smash logo intro plays, a camera pans over Star Road and then down towards a house as this track fades in, a lone Star Spirit floating towards a certain puppet...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Speaking of, anybody wonder how Geno Whirl as an attack might work? Obviously the draw in to the otherwise average attack is the chance to do maximum damage with a well timed button press. Given that, and knowing Sakurai's eye for detail, he would probably try to incorporate that feature into Smash. Still, I wonder how that would work. Obviously an actual insta kill or max knock back or damage would be OP, so we wouldn't want that. I saw a YouTube video suggest that timing a press of the special button right when the attack hits an opponent could make it do the same damage and knockback as a Smash attack. This could work, but there's always the chance it could be cheesed by just mashing the special button (unless Geno's moves were only designed to get one shot at the timed button press.). Maybe this could be circumvented by making Geno Whirl a slow move that you can't just spam,but fast enough to throw out if you feel lucky?
Duck Hunt dog has an attack, his side special, that works similar. With him throwing a disc, and if you press the button again the "player" shoots the disc with his zapper.

So having a similar mechanic with Geno whirl probably wouldn't be too hard

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, I just want to get something off my chest related to that whole Galact Knight thing from earlier. People seem to be treating Galacta Knight as the obvious echo for Meta Knight and that is why he comes up in leaks and discussions a good amount. Yet everyone is sleeping on the more likely and obvious Meta Knight wcho in Dark Meta Knight. We already have Dark Pit and Dark Samus, and DMK just appeared in Star Allies, so I don't understand why.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Supporting Geno, i realy think this will be his time.

Sakurai want to make this the Ultimate Smash Bros, with everything he ever wanted to put in it.

And Geno was something he wanted in Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want Terra in more than Geno, but it'd be amazing if we could get both. SquareEnix you can do it.
Geno was pretty cool for a doll.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Okay, I just want to get something off my chest related to that whole Galact Knight thing from earlier. People seem to be treating Galacta Knight as the obvious echo for Meta Knight and that is why he comes up in leaks and discussions a good amount. Yet everyone is sleeping on the more likely and obvious Meta Knight wcho in Dark Meta Knight. We already have Dark Pit and Dark Samus, and DMK just appeared in Star Allies, so I don't understand why.
Galacta Knight has a lance; despite it being used in a similar way as a sword during his boss battles, it's conceptually a different weapon. Metaknight in Smash uses his sword differently than how he does in Kirby. He does several super fast slashes at once. This wouldn't work with Galacta Knight, because that type of attack just doesn't work with a lance. And Galacta knight has also a shield, this means that he would share the shield mechanic with the Links; it would be even more interesting, because being a small character, the shield would cover a lot more of his collision box.
This means that Galacta Knight as a echo just doesn't work, at least IMO. They can still make it an echo, but it would be very boring and cheap, and for sure it would look and feel bad gameplay wise.
A similar thing could be said for Dark Metaknight... he can summon mirrors and spawn reflections of his sword with them. This is similar to how Bayonetta creates portals from where she spawns huge punches and kicks; again, this wouldn't work if Dark Meta Knight is an echo, though at least he has a sword like Metaknight, so it would make more sense as a clone. I think that Dark Metaknight, despite looking exactly like Metaknight, has some potential for original gameplay (with at least 1 counterattack move).

I know, this is off topic, anyway, I think that the leak is fake, though it's based on some semi-valid points so a couple of things are at least credible.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Galacta Knight has a lance; despite it being used in a similar way as a sword during his boss battles, it's conceptually a different weapon. Metaknight in Smash uses his sword differently than how he does in Kirby. He does several super fast slashes at once. This wouldn't work with Galacta Knight, because that type of attack just doesn't work with a lance. And Galacta knight has also a shield, this means that he would share the shield mechanic with the Links; it would be even more interesting, because being a small character, the shield would cover a lot more of his collision box.
This means that Galacta Knight as a echo just doesn't work, at least IMO. They can still make it an echo, but it would be very boring and cheap, and for sure it would look and feel bad gameplay wise.
A similar thing could be said for Dark Metaknight... he can summon mirrors and spawn reflections of his sword with them. This is similar to how Bayonetta creates portals from where she spawns huge punches and kicks; again, this wouldn't work if Dark Meta Knight is an echo, though at least he has a sword like Metaknight, so it would make more sense as a clone. I think that Dark Metaknight, despite looking exactly like Metaknight, has some potential for original gameplay (with at least 1 counterattack move).

I know, this is off topic, anyway, I think that the leak is fake, though it's based on some semi-valid points so a couple of things are at least credible.
All the confirmed echo fighters have been popular characters that didn't quite make it as fully unique fighters

The "leak" has Soren and Galacta Knight in it as echoes. Despite the fact they COULD work as echoes, they aren't popular characters

I don't think there is any reason Sakurai would pick fighters just because they could work if they aren't popular

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All the confirmed echo fighters have been popular characters that didn't quite make it as fully unique fighters

The "leak" has Soren and Galacta Knight in it as echoes. Despite the fact they COULD work as echoes, they aren't popular characters

I don't think there is any reason Sakurai would pick fighters just because they could work if they aren't popular
Maybe the design team is fans of them. Seems to happen, like with the freakin huge amount of castlevania music and all that we got.
Echos aren't as much trouble, so anything's possible..

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't know about Soren, but I'm sure Galacta is popular enough... at least in the Kirby fandom; and I've seen some people wanting him too.
I'm sure that most of the Bandana Dee supporters will move to Magolor and Galacta next.

Klimax

Smash Ace
What if:

Square Enix refused to give Geno to Sakurai because they don't care about him ? What if they were like "Sakurai really wants Geno but that sucks, we don't even use this guy", so they just refused because they wanted a real representation of their games (which is more than possible). At the time, mybe Sakurai had no idea about what was going to happen with third party (maybe he though only one character was possible per third party) so he refused to include another Square Enix character, afraid that he could take the Geno's spot. I think this could be what happened during Brawl days.

Then, you have Smash 4 and Sakurai asks for Geno, once again. Square Enix once again says that they want another character to represent their studios, their most iconic... Cloud. If Sakurai says yes, Square Enix will be fine with a Geno's appearance. They make the deal, Cloud is in the game and there's a sign of Geno with the MII's costume. Sadly, nothing more because Sakurai had no time for a full playable Geno.

And now you have Smash Ultimate. After years, Square Enix got their big representation with Cloud. But Cloud isn't the SE that Sakurai wanted since Brawl. Sakurai asked for Geno, but this time, i don't think there was any problem. I'm pretty sure they made a deal about Cloud being playable and that now he is, Geno is next !

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What if:

Square Enix refused to give Geno to Sakurai because they don't care about him ? What if they were like "Sakurai really wants Geno but that sucks, we don't even use this guy", so they just refused because they wanted a real representation of their games (which is more than possible). At the time, mybe Sakurai had no idea about what was going to happen with third party (maybe he though only one character was possible per third party) so he refused to include another Square Enix character, afraid that he could take the Geno's spot. I think this could be what happened during Brawl days.

Then, you have Smash 4 and Sakurai asks for Geno, once again. Square Enix once again says that they want another character to represent their studios, their most iconic... Cloud. If Sakurai says yes, Square Enix will be fine with a Geno's appearance. They make the deal, Cloud is in the game and there's a sign of Geno with the MII's costume. Sadly, nothing more because Sakurai had no time for a full playable Geno.

And now you have Smash Ultimate. After years, Square Enix got their big representation with Cloud. But Cloud isn't the SE that Sakurai wanted since Brawl. Sakurai asked for Geno, but this time, i don't think there was any problem. I'm pretty sure they made a deal about Cloud being playable and that now he is, Geno is next !
Problem is, Sakurai picked Cloud all on his own. Square were more surprised that he did not select one of their modern characters. This does not affect Genos chances though, as Sakurai could have been playing the long game as of then.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played his game yet but he looks interesting, has been a popular request for a long time and even Sakurai said he wanted to add him. I support his cause :estatic:

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet
Problem is, Sakurai picked Cloud all on his ow. Square were more suprised that he did not select one of their modern characters. This does not affect Genos chances though, as Sakurai could have been playing the long game as of then.
thats not at all a problem. sakurai likely approached them about using geno, and they agreed with the condition that he also add one of their more recognizable characters, and sakurai was allowed to pick which character. the fact that they gave him the freedom to choose is a good sign for geno's inclusion (along with the fact that they allowed him to use geno's assets in the first place, considering it wouldnt make sense to allow him to his his assets but not include him as a character).

edit: wait, misunderstood what you meant by "problem"; didnt realize you meant with what the other person said. lol. my b.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
thats not at all a problem. sakurai likely approached them about using geno, and they agreed with the condition that he also add one of their more recognizable characters, and sakurai was allowed to pick which character. the fact that they gave him the freedom to choose is a good sign for geno's inclusion (along with the fact that they allowed him to use geno's assets in the first place, considering it wouldnt make sense to allow him to his his assets but not include him as a character).

edit: wait, misunderstood what you meant by "problem"; didnt realize you meant with what the other person said. lol. my b.
That's okay, I might have worded it weird. I have been stuck on my phone all day and I have a tendency to misclick.

xNaz

Smash Cadet
I'm all for this dude getting in. He seems like he'd have a cool moveset, is highly requested by fans and likely placed high on the ballot, and even Sakurai himself said that he wanted to add him at some point. Honestly, he's someone I kind of expect with the pattern of mii costumes and popularity picks we've had thus far.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think Geno's "gimmick" could be, if any? Sometimes fighters have something special regarding their play style. Little Mac has a meter, Ryu has Street Fighter inputs, Rosalina has Luma, etc. I get the feeling Sakurai might pay tribute to SMRPG by implementing some sort of timed hits into his move set. Maybe that's too ambitious so let's pretend it's just for his Specials. I could see the 3 Star system from SMRPG showing up on screen when charging up one of the "Geno" moves (Blast, Beam, etc.) and releasing it at the right time could add a damage bonus.

Any ideas?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I think the next Direct will be Oct 10. 10/10 for Geno, call it a hunch. Just like Sonic's reveal from Brawl.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
What do you guys think Geno's "gimmick" could be, if any? Sometimes fighters have something special regarding their play style. Little Mac has a meter, Ryu has Street Fighter inputs, Rosalina has Luma, etc. I get the feeling Sakurai might pay tribute to SMRPG by implementing some sort of timed hits into his move set. Maybe that's too ambitious so let's pretend it's just for his Specials. I could see the 3 Star system from SMRPG showing up on screen when charging up one of the "Geno" moves (Blast, Beam, etc.) and releasing it at the right time could add a damage bonus.

Any ideas?
Timed Hits for extra damage is my favorite gimmick that I've seen by far. Pressing a button at the right time for certain moves to give more damage/knockback

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Any ideas?
If he has a gimmick, it'll be one or both of the ones you just suggested, in my opinion. Those are the only ones we as a community keep coming up with. I'm not sure much else would fit.

Really though, gimmicks may be taking a backseat to fan service this Smash--K. Rool has no gimmick to speak of, and he still rocks. Gimmick or no, I can't wait to see how Geno plays.:)

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Any ideas?
Oh yeah I mean if Geno had timed hits he could potentially end up being the fighter with the strongest attacks just like in his game.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
If he has a gimmick, it'll be one or both of the ones you just suggested, in my opinion. Those are the only ones we as a community keep coming up with. I'm not sure much else would fit.

Really though, gimmicks may be taking a backseat to fan service this Smash--K. Rool has no gimmick to speak of, and he still rocks. Gimmick or no, I can't wait to see how Geno plays.:)
Speaking of fan service, I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least Mallow got an assist trophy on top of Geno's inclusion. Especially considering Castlevania got a new character, an echo, a stage, 34 songs and an assist trophy lol.

domriver

Smash Lord
I was thinking this Geno Whirl can be a Side-B option and when it strikes an opponent if you push the side B again it will deal more damage not necessary 99999999 that would be overpowered and abused. But more damage than just a regular side B. Also if he misses he should be punished somehow maybe some animation or lag end. what you guys think?

Any ideas?
I have no clue what his UP-B could be some sort of recovery move. Geno Boost?

Speaking of fan service, I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least Mallow got an assist trophy on top of Geno's inclusion. Especially considering Castlevania got a new character, an echo, a stage, 34 songs and an assist trophy lol.
To be honest i think Mallow might be apart of Geno's Final Smash (maybe) AT I see Smithy, maybe EXOR just comes and SLICES thru the field or the Axem Rangers lol the possibilities! jejeje

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I've been supporting Geno and Isaac from Golden Sun since the brawl days, I hope at least one of them makes it in! If both make it I will die (in a good way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom