• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kero!

Smash Cadet
With Geno, the CastleVania reveal really made me believe something could happen with SMRPG representation. I think Mallow will be an assist trophy. And we'll see other cast members appear occasionally on the stage. And a whole lot of music.
I agree with Mallow being an assist trophy. What do you think he'd do?
Thunderbolt, maybe? I kinda expect him to cry actually-

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
He could make a cloud appear and whoever gets under it would get healed or something like that. Or he could use Star Rain.

Also, maybe we only saw 2 FF songs because the rest of them are unlockables? I suppose that CDs are coming back and maybe the other two or three FF songs (I don't think there would be more) would need to be unlocked. So maybe the few FF songs say nothing about Geno's chances.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just remembered, we still have gamescom to look forward too. What are the chances they announce something Smash related?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Nah, big boys don't cry, remember?
I could see it being Thunderbolt or Snowy.

I started a new game of SMRPG. I needed it.

To be honest, I could picture the trailer for him going like this:
Rosalina and Luma and Kirby are walking through a forest with gray clouds overhead. They seem lost as several shadows fly past. As they keep walking, more shadows fly across the screen and this time all three turn to look where they were but see nothing. From behind an arrow barely misses Kirby. Kirby and Rosalina turn and take off running through the woods as arrows start raining down by the ton, only for Kirby midway through the run to get hit and sent flying. Rosalina breaks into a clearing and sees Bowyer and his Flunkies laughing. He shoots and sends Luma flying, then laughs as he as he summons an arrow that floats above him and points downwards to Rosalina. Just as the arrow starts to fly, cue this music as a ray of light shoots down from the sky and a blue cape flashes before the arrow is obliterated. Rosalina looks and pan around to "Geno Answers the Higher Call" for his intro. Cue this song as Geno dashes off and does his whirl punch against Bowyer and his montage.

Trailer ends on a cinematic of Smithy showing up as a boss.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Piggybacking off the Skull Kid/Majora potentially being a character. It would be nice if in a double reveal, it shows Skull Kid attacking Young Link in a forest only to have Geno save him. It would make for a really cool double reveal.

I think Mallow should be a hybrid support/attack as it trophy. In the background, he summons a rain cloud that floats overhead, healing his summoner with HP Rain. However as opponents try to get some health, he sends down a thunderbolt similar to Pikachu/Pichu Down Special.

This makes for an AT that summoners want to stay around but others want to avoid and I feel stays true to his black mage roots.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Nah, big boys don't cry, remember?
I could see it being Thunderbolt or Snowy.

I started a new game of SMRPG. I needed it.

To be honest, I could picture the trailer for him going like this:
Rosalina and Luma and Kirby are walking through a forest with gray clouds overhead. They seem lost as several shadows fly past. As they keep walking, more shadows fly across the screen and this time all three turn to look where they were but see nothing. From behind an arrow barely misses Kirby. Kirby and Rosalina turn and take off running through the woods as arrows start raining down by the ton, only for Kirby midway through the run to get hit and sent flying. Rosalina breaks into a clearing and sees Bowyer and his Flunkies laughing. He shoots and sends Luma flying, then laughs as he as he summons an arrow that floats above him and points downwards to Rosalina. Just as the arrow starts to fly, cue this music as a ray of light shoots down from the sky and a blue cape flashes before the arrow is obliterated. Rosalina looks and pan around to "Geno Answers the Higher Call" for his intro. Cue this song as Geno dashes off and does his whirl punch against Bowyer and his montage.

Trailer ends on a cinematic of Smithy showing up as a boss.
As much as I LOVE the Forest Maze music, this would fit perfectly considering the amount of bosses we are seeing (two stage hazards, plus K. Rool and Ridley revealed) Ughhhhh.. That's the dream.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
I think Mallow should be a hybrid support/attack as it trophy. In the background, he summons a rain cloud that floats overhead, healing his summoner with HP Rain. However as opponents try to get some health, he sends down a thunderbolt similar to Pikachu/Pichu Down Special.

This makes for an AT that summoners want to stay around but others want to avoid and I feel stays true to his black mage roots.
That's a really cool idea and really CYMBALizes what he's all about. (Ba dum tss. (Two cymbal jokes! :joyful:))

Alternatively, Mallow could stand in the background charging up his attack for several seconds while a storm cloud formed on the stage, and then once he was done charging he would either (1) cast Thunderbolt, dealing massive damage to anyone under the storm cloud, or (2) fail to cast Thunderbolt and break down in tears, causing rain to fall from the cloud that heals anyone who touches it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wonder if the SMRPG music is also owned by Square? It most likely is, which is worrying... Looking at how dreadful the music representation of Final Fantasy is. If "Battle Against an Armed Boss" isn't in the game, in the case of Geno being playable, I will have fury.

domriver

Smash Lord
Heyo!!
I've watched over this thread from above and MAN you guys are literally only making my Geno hype stronger!!
I don't know if anyone went over this, but this is a little something about the trailers (that I believed someone may have pointed out)

All of the characters appear to be killed (or get the ever living crud smacked out of like Dedede) by something sharp.
Mario/Mega Man - Ridley's tail (from what I remember)
Luigi - Death's (?) Scythe
Dedede - Well... K. Rool's hand has claws, so that counts right?

All of these characters have been touched by something sharp.

Anyway, with this pattern in mind, what would a Geno trailer look like?
Another note is that for every new character that appears, a villain from that series does the killing.
And it's always a character not originating from that series to get killed.

The sharp bosses (from Smithy Gang) go as follows:
Mack (Pogo sword)
Bowyer (His arrows in particular)
Yaridovich (A literal spear)
And Exor (a giant sword)
(And this is ignoring Cloaker/Domino, etc)

Exor and Bowyer have closer relations to Geno as Exor is the one that crashed into Star Road and Bowyer is the one Geno fights against before Mario and Mallow come to his aid. Seeing as though there has been a villain in every trailer, I am willing to believe that in a Geno trailer, we would see Bowyer slaying someone with an arrow (somehow?) as I find fighting Exor would be... really out of place. If we are up against Bowyer, my guess is that Geno will be appearing in the Forest Maze and will probably have Beware The Forest's Mushrooms as his song (like the Mii costume reveal, except remixed to Smash quality.) As for who from what series would get killed? I'd guess Link, or maybe a Pokemon as Bowser, Mario (dead), Peach, and Yoshi all appear in SMRPG so they maybe wouldn't come in and get killed. Maybe as background characters, but not killed. It also appears that only after a character is killed do the heros start fighting, so Geno maybe wouldn't appear until a little later in the trailer.

But, it may not even be Bowyer that kills someone off. Someone may as well be overwhelmed by Buzzers!

So, I will believe for a Geno trailer, we will see:

Bowyer and the Forest Maze, someone getting killed by Bowyer that isn't from the Mario series, and then Geno appearing
However!! This could all be completely wrong/debunked by you guys or mentioned already but thanks for reading anyway!! Hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.

(Also, what do you guys think about Geno getting a voice actor? Or would he remain mute? What do you think he would sound like?)
Sounds doable. Though for some reason i see Geno rescuing/reviving/saving all the fallen characters. Idk. But yeah Bowyer would be neat also Boomer. I want Exor in Ultimate lol for Bowser's Keep Stage. lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Instead of an AT, I want Mallow as a part of Geno's Final Smash. Mix Geno Blast with Thunderbolt/Shocker and it'd probably be visually amazing.

Also, PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate : go ahead and put me on the Geno supporter list. Haven't really spent a lot of time on the Geno support threads but recent events have given me more hope than I've had in like a solid decade.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I was going through all of the Mii Costumes on MarioWiki, and I'm seeing how many costumes have been upgraded so far.

The list is:

Protoman - part of Megaman's Final Smash
Zero - Assist Trophy
Inkling - Playable Character
King K. Rool - Playable Character
Chrom - Playable Character
Rathalos - Stage Boss/Assist Trophy
Knuckles - Assist Trophy

I think this is very telling. Throw in the fact that Geno's costume was the only one with a splash screen I REALLY think it's likely he's in. Other third parties got costumes, but they didn't receive splash screens. I hate doing this to myself but to me this is evidence that they are looking at characters who received costumes for bigger roles in this next game.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Instead of an AT, I want Mallow as a part of Geno's Final Smash. Mix Geno Blast with Thunderbolt/Shocker and it'd probably be visually amazing.

Also, PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate : go ahead and put me on the Geno supporter list. Haven't really spent a lot of time on the Geno support threads but recent events have given me more hope than I've had in like a solid decade.
Oh ****. You know it’s getting real when Fatmanonice Fatmanonice comes back into the fold.

I agree with most of you who are saying a hero/villan reveal of Geno/Skull Kid makes a ton of sense. There are tons of different scenarios for how that could go.

But i’m also skeptical that we actually get any joint reveal trailers for newcomers not from the same series

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Perhaps a bit of Psycopath, every once in a while.
Would be funny if using Psycopath, he just shows us what each character is thinking. I could imagine Link: ".............................................................SHYA!"

Oh and K. Rool gets "Ohh! I'm good!"

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think what's funny, is that I feel the last direct indirectly deconfirmed basically any new series characters since we now know all the stages, and yet, that means Geno still has a good chance as a new third-party character since he's not from a new series, and he wouldn't necessarily need a new stage to go along with his inclusion. Strangely, I feel pretty good about his chances. Sakurai's really going for these long-time popular picks. And after all the love he's shown Geno before... I mean hey. Geno would make it feel pretty Ultimate huh.

There's not exactly a whole lot of characters to choose from now, so why not. Most of the ones I could think of would likely be echo fighters... Although I feel there are also plenty of retro characters that wouldn't necessarily need a stage.... like my favorite.... Mach Rider....

Anyway, good luck Psycho!

TBone06

Smash Ace
I think what's funny, is that I feel the last direct indirectly deconfirmed basically any new series characters since we now know all the stages, and yet, that means Geno still has a good chance as a new third-party character since he's not from a new series, and he wouldn't necessarily need a new stage to go along with his inclusion. Strangely, I feel pretty good about his chances. Sakurai's really going for these long-time popular picks. And after all the love he's shown Geno before... I mean hey. Geno would make it feel pretty Ultimate huh.

There's not exactly a whole lot of characters to choose from now, so why not. Most of the ones I could think of would likely be echo fighters... Although I feel there are also plenty of retro characters that wouldn't necessarily need a stage.... like my favorite.... Mach Rider....

Anyway, good luck Psycho!
By the looks of the stage select screen, it looks like there is more space for potentially 6 more stages. I think they may use those for third party characters, or just in case a newcomer is from a different series. But I don't think this is wrong, I think the way Sakurai has been going is that he's not focusing on new series' (aside from Inkling, which we knew was going to be in). It's definitely very interesting. I still would want a stage for Geno, but I would be okay without one.

domriver

Smash Lord
Would be funny if using Psycopath, he just shows us what each character is thinking. I could imagine Link: ".............................................................SHYA!"

Oh and K. Rool gets "Ohh! I'm good!"
This would be such a nice addition for Mallow AT. He uses psycopath to reveal what characters are thinking. What do i want and hope is that Snake's codecs to return. Palutena's Guidance was nice but I like Snake's more.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sakurai seems to really be digging through a lot of unfinished or previously cut concepts from earlier games. Ditto is a dead giveaway for this since he tried to make him work in Melee but not for Brawl/S4

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I don't know much about Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and Geno but count me in among you guys as a supporter and feel free to educate me on why he'd make a great addition to the Smash roster and the importance of his character to Nintendo history! Between him, Issac, and Banjo-Kazooie, I think those are characters we can all get behind for this game after the likes of Ridley, King K. Rool, & Simon Belmont making it in. These three/four would garner the most hype I think among fans after such big reveals.

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:

As a K. Rool supporter for many, m a n y years, I am just stopping by to say that - in terms of who I would both want and who I would imagine is a more likely representative over another character - Geno has my onward support.

Was sitting back to myself the past couple of days thinking, "You know what. . . All things considered, Geno really does have a fair chance this time around. . .", and with how everything has been playing out with Ultimate so far, this could finally be his moment.

Hoping for nothing but the best, friends.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pretty safe bet at this point that every returning third party is going to get at least 2 reps but would they even count Geno as Square Enix or another Mario character? He'd undoubtedly get his own theme ala Rosalina but I have strong doubts he'd get a totally new icon.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I’m already imagining the cute things Sakurai will say about Geno if he’s revealed to be playable. “You might not have expected a character like Geno, but he has been highly requested for many years!” And that’s about when I’ll probably start weeping into my desk from sheer joy.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Pretty safe bet at this point that every returning third party is going to get at least 2 reps but would they even count Geno as Square Enix or another Mario character? He'd undoubtedly get his own theme ala Rosalina but I have strong doubts he'd get a totally new icon.
I believe the Mii Costume was listed as a Mario character. There's a big chance he'll get the mushroom icon.

I’m already imagining the cute things Sakurai will say about Geno if he’s revealed to be playable. “You might not have expected a character like Geno, but he has been highly requested for many years!” And that’s about when I’ll probably start weeping into my desk from sheer joy.
I really hope Sakurai lets us know how long he's wanted to see Geno in the game. I'd probably break down if Sakurai told us about the trial and error of him finally getting Geno.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Just so you guys can see what the list was or is. ** I edited to keep us updated. CONFIRMED/AT AS OF 8/10/2018.

King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!
Ridley(4) - CONFIRMED!
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3) - CONFIRMED!
Krystal(3) - AT
Takamaru(3) - AT
Windwaker Link(3) - CONFIRMED!
Animal Crossing MC(2) - CONFIRMED (VILLAGER)
Claus(2) - alt costume
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2) - AT ????
Jeff(2) - AT
Kawasima(2)- AT
King K.Rool(2) - CONFIRMED!
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED!
Mega Man(2) - CONFIRMED!
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2) - AT

From this point it just makes more sense for Geno. Top 10 all but 1 is confirmed or AT. This is from Brawl Era. if someone can find the other poll list from the ballot for USA and/or Japan we can check that also.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I believe the Mii Costume was listed as a Mario character. There's a big chance he'll get the mushroom icon.

I really hope Sakurai lets us know how long he's wanted to see Geno in the game. I'd probably break down if Sakurai told us about the trial and error of him finally getting Geno.
I was going to edit my post to include this too. It would be awesome if he touched on his personal desire to get Geno into Smash. The feeling of vindication that he’s been pushing for this character all this time would be awesome to experience.

Also, that slap to the face for the people who never believed in us or Geno would be a bit satisfying too, I must admit! ;)

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
GAAAH this suspense and waiting around is driving me crazy!

I know I’m trying to keep my expectations low to avoid massive disappointment, but constantly reading everywhere both here and other forums where geno either has huge support, or everyone basically assumes he’s in based on sakurais comments in the past plus the smash ballot, has my hopes up...

Make matters worse is I doubt we’ll get another direct until at LEAST the middle of September, and that’s being optimistic. So we’ve still got an frustratingly long wait until we can know for sure, and sakurai might decide to troll us and not let us know until near release....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Super nit picky but Kawashima is a returning AT from Smash 4 and Claus has been an ALT since Brawl but your points still stand. Also, from characters who regularly ranked high in Ballot straw polls, we already have 8 in the form of: Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Inkling, Bayonetta, Ridley, K. Rool, and Shovel Knight. Plus, Geno was even in the post Smash 64 poll too and, my memory's fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure he did better than the Ice Climbers and Pit.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I can corroborate that he did have trouble, from what I read, but I can't remember where I read it. It may possibly have been a Source Gaming translation...

Another thing about Konami possibly being the difficult one about Snake: Didn't they want to use a different voice actor for Snake, but Hayter was Sakurai's choice for Smash? Perhaps there was an argument there. It's even possible we may not see codecs return if they didn't want to go with Hayter.

Konami has no problems with Hayter voicing Snake. In fact, he’s voicing both Snake and Big Boss in Bomberman. It was Kojima who didn’t want Hayter. In fact, he’d been trying to replace him since MGS3.

I really feel like it wasn’t Konami who gave Sakurai any difficulties. They’d be onboard with Smash because they don’t have to do any work and it’s free advertisement.

Still, I don’t think he had a hard time with the 3rd parties. He never outright said they were giving him difficulties.

TBone06

Smash Ace
For anyone who watches Billybo10k's thread on YouTube, he put out his re-rate their chances video just now. I watched the whole thing, and it was very well done. However, if you're not interested in watching the whole 22 minute video, fast-forward to 18 minutes to see Geno's rating.

He really does a great job with these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3mYc7pOew

domriver

Smash Lord
Super nit picky but Kawashima is a returning AT from Smash 4 and Claus has been an ALT since Brawl but your points still stand. Also, from characters who regularly ranked high in Ballot straw polls, we already have 8 in the form of: Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Inkling, Bayonetta, Ridley, K. Rool, and Shovel Knight. Plus, Geno was even in the post Smash 64 poll too and, my memory's fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure he did better than the Ice Climbers and Pit.
Thanks. I updated the list. :p Now just waiting for the next direct. lol

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I have a theory:
All of the newcomers to this game for the base roster are going to be fan favorites that have long been requested. IMO I think Geno and Isaac have the best shots at getting into the base roster, as unique fighters as they’ve been involved in the past and are two of the last standing holdouts that haven’t been confirmed or otherwise.

I think highly relevant picks from popular and recent titles will be saved for DLC. Things like Xenoblade Chronicles, an Alolan Pokemon rep, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, etc. It would make sense from a business perspective for them to have DLC be more third-party bombshells or characters from recent Nintendo games they are trying to actively drive profits for and are fresh in most gamer’s minds.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I have a theory:
All of the newcomers to this game for the base roster are going to be fan favorites that have long been requested. IMO I think Geno and Isaac have the best shots at getting into the base roster, as unique fighters as they’ve been involved in the past and are two of the last standing holdouts that haven’t been confirmed or otherwise.

I think highly relevant picks from popular and recent titles will be saved for DLC. Things like Xenoblade Chronicles, an Alolan Pokemon rep, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, etc. It would make sense from a business perspective for them to have DLC be more third-party bombshells or characters from recent Nintendo games they are trying to actively drive profits for and are fresh in most gamer’s minds.
Very true. However If Geno is revealed and is NOT the last newcomer I kinda expect Banjo-Kazooie for closing. Ending with quite a big bang.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I have really high hopes for Geno. Right now I'm in the "All or Nothing" boat; we are either going to see Geno as a fighter, or not at all. There is nothing I could think of that would even show as evidence that Geno would show up as something else (Besides the Mii Costume, but that already exists). Sakurai has always mentioned that he has wanted Geno as a fighter, nothing else.

We may have our wish granted.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
All I have to say is that if Geno gets in, I will want a Geno amiibo so bad

I will literally camp out in front of a Best Buy to get my hands on one.

Ooh, and official Geno dolls. I will buy out the store.

Last edited:

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm someone who's always lurked in these threads since the Brawl days (and somehow lost the password to my account) and Geno has always been my most requested character since SMRPG is my favorite video game of all time. I've tried to remain skeptical since I didn't want my hopes to be dashed yet again but I just can't help but feel that Geno is actually gonna make it in this time.

I just feel like I've gotten literally everything else that I wanted into Ultimate from all returning characters, King K. Rool, Ridley, Simon Belmont, more movement, ability to use tilts and smash attacks out of dash, a hazard toggle, the list just goes on and on. Ultimate is already a must buy for me and incapable of disappointing me... and yet I just can't help but really want this character who meant so much to me when I was 5. Please list me with the other supporters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

If you didn't say anything I was going to put you on as at least an honorable mention anyway

Edit: Does anyone know what "DarkAura64/Fenrir"'s current name is and if they still/support Geno?

@DarkAura64/Fenrir doesn't work so they either don't exist or changed their name

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom