• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Are you guys ready on trying to surpass the Smash 4 K. Rool thread? If so, we are only 268 pages away from doing so. I say let's do it!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Are you guys ready on trying to surpass the Smash 4 K. Rool thread? If so, we are only 268 pages away from doing so. I say let's do it!
Man, the idea of surpassing something like that is so bittersweet. On one hand, it's nice to know that here is that much demand for Geno, but the fact that we would be able to reach such a feat before having our character revealed and becoming a social is sobering.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man, the idea of surpassing something like that is so bittersweet. On one hand, it's nice to know that here is that much demand for Geno, but the fact that we would be able to reach such a feat before having our character revealed and becoming a social is sobering.
I know right? It would be a surreal experience.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel so lost. Who is Polar and Fatman?

Did you draw that? If so that's really good
Both Polar and Fatman are both Smashboards members that have somewhat inside sources within Nintendo. Fatman is a Smashboards boomer and Geno supporter that's been on this site for more than 13 years so I trust him.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Both Polar and Fatman are both Smashboards members that have somewhat inside sources within Nintendo. Fatman is a Smashboards boomer and Geno supporter that's been on this site for more than 13 years so I trust him.
Polar has inside sources, but Fatman does not. He's simply in a small group chat with Polar and other insiders.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
And they said that a character at E3 is a big character that is unexpected which is obviously Chief.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My problem with the whole "unexpected" character thing is that is really hard to pull off if the character is leaked like how supposedly Erdrick was leaked, and thus is now expected rather than a surprise. Given the age of the information and how a lot of the information from the various leakers contradicted each other and how they were debunked or proven to be wrong over the past few months, it's hard for me to take them with anything more than a grain of salt.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Assuming he’d get alerts, perhaps we could get an explanation as to why Sabi doesn’t support your statements Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If we go based on the assumption of Erdrick being leakbait and Sora being deconfirmed, that technically makes Luminary the only remaining choice for DLC. If you say Crono, then you ignore all the arguments made against Geno.

It is odd to see Geno has a presence in the game already. I don't care if it is a spirit. Considering all the attention the lack of Square Enix content for Smash Bros, why a Geno/Mallow spirit being the only thing provided? That technically makes Geno and Mallow the only unique content provided to the game thus far and the only thing that seems to be Square Enix has provided rights to.

I just hope it means something in the end.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And they said that a character at E3 is a big character that is unexpected which is obviously Chief.
Chief has been deconfirmed by his own creator so he isn't happening. Sora has been deconfirmed by the Vice President of Square-Enix so he isn't happening. So I think it could be either Crash or Doomguy to be honest since the other 2 are out.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Chief has been deconfirmed by his own creator so he isn't happening. Sora has been deconfirmed by the Vice President of Square-Enix so he isn't happening. So I think it could be either Crash or Doomguy to be honest since the other 2 are out.
Do we know if that's what Polar and her crew have said, though? Fatman was apparently extrapolating an awful lot, so that information could be a huge stretch, if not entirely false.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Who knows. I wish Fatman would be more open on if that's his opinion or he heard something from the others when it comes to this stuff.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If we go based on the assumption of Erdrick being leakbait and Sora being deconfirmed, that technically makes Luminary the only remaining choice for DLC. If you say Crono, then you ignore all the arguments made against Geno.

It is odd to see Geno has a presence in the game already. I don't care if it is a spirit. Considering all the attention the lack of Square Enix content for Smash Bros, why a Geno/Mallow spirit being the only thing provided? That technically makes Geno and Mallow the only unique content provided to the game thus far and the only thing that seems to be Square Enix has provided rights to.

I just hope it means something in the end.
Crono and Geno aren't identical. They have different issues.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
But he does have history of being a troll and it said Chief isn’t in the game right now. Yeah he isn’t in the game right now. So yeah Chief isn’t deonfirmed.same with sora, especially since he was asked in person so he couldn’t avoid it, and NDA’s allow you to say no, just not yes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
One last thing people often don't take into account regarding DQ reps over any other Square franchise: worldwide profitability. I get how it could make sense when applied towards Japanese audiences because DQ is so highly beloved in its home country, but outside of it, Erdrick or pretty much any DQ rep could be considered a massive financial risk. Even with Ultimate's sales numbers, a large chunk of both casual and hardcore fans have made it fairly clear they're tired of the "anime swordsman" type of character that FE made infamous. That, and given the longer demand for characters like Sora, Crono, Geno, and even the Slime outside of Japan (Sora in particular being pretty much the second most requested Square rep after anything Final Fantasy), it could go over as poorly as Corrin did at the end of Smash 4's DLC cycle, if not magnified/even worse.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
(Sora in particular being pretty much the second most requested Square rep after anything Final Fantasy)
Disagree; I think Sora is actually requested far more often than FF characters, and numerous fan polls show this.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One last thing people often don't take into account regarding DQ reps over any other Square franchise: worldwide profitability. I get how it could make sense when applied towards Japanese audiences because DQ is so highly beloved in its home country, but outside of it, Erdrick or pretty much any DQ rep could be considered a massive financial risk. Even with Ultimate's sales numbers, a large chunk of both casual and hardcore fans have made it fairly clear they're tired of the "anime swordsman" type of character that FE made infamous. That, and given the longer demand for characters like Sora, Crono, Geno, and even the Slime outside of Japan (Sora in particular being pretty much the second most requested Square rep after anything Final Fantasy), it could go over as poorly as Corrin did at the end of Smash 4's DLC cycle, if not magnified/even worse.
Given Dragon Quest is a known property worldwide, I don't think it's an issue.

MattX20

Smash Hero
No, not really. Outside of Japan, Dragon Quest is pretty niche. Unlike Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, DQ has always performed poorly in the West. It's a massive financial risk to include a character like Erdrick, especially considering how much Square and Sugiyama and the other parties would likely charge just to allow him in a crossover like this. It's one thing when it's just the music for the game that it was originally intended for with the Switch port of 11, it's a different matter when it's for a completely different title.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No, not really. Outside of Japan, Dragon Quest is pretty niche. Unlike Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, DQ has always performed poorly in the West. It's a massive financial risk to include a character like Erdrick, especially considering how much Square and Sugiyama and the other parties would likely charge just to allow him in a crossover like this. It's one thing when it's just the music for the game that it was originally intended for with the Switch port of 11, it's a different matter when it's for a completely different title.
Quick correction, Frank O’ Connor most certainly did not create Master Chief. He just has served as the series as the Franchise Development Director for then Halo series since 343 Industries took over developing the series when Bungie finished Reach and moved on to Destiny. O’ Connor had worked at Bungie briefly as a community manager I believe, but he’s not one to give credit to Halo like that (I’m a huge Halo fan, and after 343’s recent handling of the games I’d prefer not to give them more credit than deserved). He’s definitely the current person that would likely be in discussion with Master Chief in Smash since he currently leads the franchise. But to be fair, he’s also a known troll at times, so do with that what you will.

As for Dragon Quest, the series has had multiple million sellers in the West (3 I believe) and almost every game in the series across the past two decades have been localized in the States. It’s not as much of a niche as you’re making it to be, certainly still a niche, but practically all video games are. For reference Persona 5 has only sold 2 million copies worldwide and Joker still made it in. Hell, our beloved Super Mario RPG has only sold 2.5 million copies. Dragon Quest may not be a household name like it is in Japan, but it’s still a successful franchise that’s about as niche as most JRPGs go with a handful of exceptions and certainly fits quite easily into Smash if Joker can.

And the vocal minority of “tired of anime swordsmen” whiners won’t really be much a problem and it be downright dumb for Nintendo to be listening to those people.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Ehhh it’s “known” but I don’t think that equates to being something that’s hyped or has a massive following outside of Japan. SE has been trying to make fetch happen with DQ outside of Japan for decades now and for whatever reason it’s never really stuck.

And the vocal minority of “tired of anime swordsmen” whiners won’t really be much a problem and it be downright dumb for Nintendo to be listening to those people.
I mean do you have anything to back up them being a minority? Because it’s a pretty common complaint that pops up in most Smash discussion online. And it kind of will be a problem if people just aren’t interested in the character and said character doesn’t sell.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Assuming he’d get alerts, perhaps we could get an explanation as to why Sabi doesn’t support your statements Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?
Because I've mentioned numerous times that it's my own speculation based on information that has been shared in the Discord. It's my own take on things. I've said this. Repeatedly. Sabi is the insider. I usually talk vaguely about what's shared because it's not my info and, no, I can't always share all the reasons why I speculate certain things. It's like "based on this, this, and this, this is a realistic outcome." I never said anything akin to a second character absolutely happening at E3. I never said Banjo or anyone else was a 100% confirmed. For probably the 5th or 6th time, I'm not an insider, I just sit at the table and vaguely talk about what I'm allowed to from what's shared.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As for "the Red Carpet" and "overshadowing a character announcement" statements, I can't go into all the details why I speculate these things. When Polar/Sabi says things in the Discord about not mentioning names or giving too board of hints of who said them, I take this very seriously. Yes, people's jobs are at stake and yet they trust Sabi and, by extension, they trust me so I talk about things with all of you wrapped in my own speculation. People are getting mad at me? Okay, fine, that just means that things I'm saying aren't traceable to the actual important people sharing info. If my speculation is wrong, it's wrong. Not everything I say is a treasure map. It's food for thought. Yet another thing I've had to say over and over, it's something to talk about in a time when news is largely dry.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I didn't say it performed well, I said it's a known property. Dragon Quest has iconic music and iconic characters (mainly referring to Slime, but many monsters are recognizable and human characters benefit from Toriyama's distinctive art-style).

I feel like claims of this being a Corrin situation are overblown just because it helps our case. We shouldn't need to rely on that kind of stuff.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
As for "the Red Carpet" and "overshadowing a character announcement" statements, I can't go into all the details why I speculate these things. When Polar/Sabi says things in the Discord about not mentioning names or giving too board of hints of who said them, I take this very seriously. Yes, people's jobs are at stake and yet they trust Sabi and, by extension, they trust me so I talk about things with all of you wrapped in my own speculation. People are getting mad at me? Okay, fine, that just means that things I'm saying aren't traceable to the actual important people sharing info. If my speculation is wrong, it's wrong. Not everything I say is a treasure map. It's food for thought. Yet another thing I've had to say over and over, it's something to talk about in a time when news is largely dry.
Thank you for the clarification. I apologize if it seemed like I was aiming a pitchfork at you or anything like that.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Because I've mentioned numerous times that it's my own speculation based on information that has been shared in the Discord. It's my own take on things. I've said this. Repeatedly. Sabi is the insider. I usually talk vaguely about what's shared because it's not my info and, no, I can't always share all the reasons why I speculate certain things. It's like "based on this, this, and this, this is a realistic outcome." I never said anything akin to a second character absolutely happening at E3. I never said Banjo or anyone else was a 100% confirmed. For probably the 5th or 6th time, I'm not an insider, I just sit at the table and vaguely talk about what I'm allowed to from what's shared.
I will say that the only reason I posted the screenshot of the discord conversation between sabi and whoever else was involved that was posted in the BK thread here was because people were getting really into the Master Chief discussion. People were treating it as fact when the reality was you had not mentioned him at all by name (it was other people who assumed you meant Master Chief) and sabi commented that what you were saying was an extrapolation from her information.

Not to put words in anyone’s mouths but I think with the way certain things were worded some people assumed what was your own theorizing based on information you were privy to through sabi was more direct information about the way things were looking if that makes sense. In general I think people were then extrapolating from your extrapolations and treating what they came up with as more of a concrete possibility than they should have been.

For what it’s worth I still appreciate seeing your insights on things.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Ehhh it’s “known” but I don’t think that equates to being something that’s hyped or has a massive following outside of Japan. SE has been trying to make fetch happen with DQ outside of Japan for decades now and for whatever reason it’s never really stuck.

I mean do you have anything to back up them being a minority? Because it’s a pretty common complaint that pops up in most Smash discussion online. And it kind of will be a problem if people just aren’t interested in the character and said character doesn’t sell.
I already consider the Smash fan base as it appears online to be a vocal minority of Smash players because that’s just how it works for any game that sells 13+ million copies. Then within that community, very few people actually have some specific “anime swords person” bias that affects anything about how they conduct themselves. Much of that conglomerate tend to be more critical of specifically Fire Emblem and failing to vocalize that’s their issue and just go with the “anime swordsman” complaint wholesale. And even then, the anti anime swordsman people will often times come to the defense of the characters they like that use a sword like Isaac (Don’t give me that he could be more unique than others, the same can be said of Erdrick and a ton of other characters people resent for just being more of the same before they’ve been released and have actually shown anything off).

It comes off as a ****ty way to delegitimize the character choices that other people want and criticize a character they’ve never even seen. It’s not something that holds up to scrutiny when so few characters even fit that description and those that do, play quite differently from one another (Ironically the anime sword wielded Echo fighters are the most unique compared to their original base counterparts bar Ken who is just a semi-clone labeled as an Echo). There’s no aesthetic boundaries to Smash either and anime is entirely too broad of a term to use in criticism like that.

So, while I don’t have any data on that (and no one ever will), I have complete confidence in calling it a complaint leveled by a vocal minority of Smash fans. Especially when Sakurai has included 13 characters in Ultimate so far and a single Echo has included a sword in those 13 new characters... Like this hasn’t been an issue since Smash 4 at this point, and back then it wasn’t much of an issue since base Smash 4 only added 4 with Lucian, Shulk, Mii Swordfighter, and only sort of Robin. Then Cloud and Corrin showed up via DLC with Corrin having stupidly specific circumstances to get included at all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll give an example of information I can only share vaguely. Polar/Sabi's main source has noted that footage is being planned to be sent out to ambassadors before E3 and apparently Nintendo decides who gets what based on what the ambassadors' favorite franchises are. If an ambassador's favorite franchises aren't at E3, they usually get jack squat and he said he didn't get specific footage last year because of this. Their source is particularly excited because they've been informed that they're getting a whopping 90 minutes worth of footage but Nintendo has been careful not to reveal what it is yet but he deduces its one of two things, with one being much more likely than the other. Based on what I know, I can say that one outcome is more likely than the other and place it on a scale of probability (this particular case is like 90-10, honestly, but, again, I can't give specifics). Again, super vague but it's interesting regardless to know Nintendo taps people like this to hype their upcoming games.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'll give an example of information I can only share vaguely. Polar/Sabi's main source has noted that footage is being planned to be sent out to ambassadors before E3 and apparently Nintendo decides who gets what based on what the ambassadors' favorite franchises are. If an ambassador's favorite franchises aren't at E3, they usually get jack squat and he said he didn't get specific footage last year because of this. Their source is particularly excited because they've been informed that they're getting a whopping 90 minutes worth of footage but Nintendo has been careful not to reveal what it is yet but he deduces its one of two things, with one being much more likely than the other. Based on what I know, I can say that one outcome is more likely than the other and place it on a scale of probability (this particular case is like 90-10, honestly, but, again, I can't give specifics). Again, super vague but it's interesting regardless to know Nintendo taps people like this to hype their upcoming games.
Well, if this is true, then it should be a decent presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom