• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I would have to agree with this. If we get a square enix character announcement, I would say that Geno will be thrown in there as an echo/clone of sorts.

Im hoping we get a Sora and Banjo+Master Chief reveal as well. No Kazooie.
Master Chief in Banjo's backpack.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Can you spare us from the "only oldest fan picks can be fanservice, everything else is soulless promotion" BS?

The world doesn't revolve around N64/SNES fans.
Can you spare us from the "only characters who became popular in the 2010s except for Erdrick would sell" BS?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Can you spare us from the "only characters who became popular in the 2010s except for Erdrick would sell" BS?
This so much.

We need a good balance of older and newer characters; swamping the roster with newer characters really can justifiably be called shilling as most newer characters really don't have enough fan support or historical importance to really warrant making it, and would only serve marketing purposes.

There are some newer characters who by that standard would be "deserving" of a roster spot mind you, like Sora and Joker, but most of them would put off a lot of people.

This of course applies to a lot of the older characters too -- Geno and Banjo are some of the few really "fitting" older characters left -- and it is all but certain that throwing in the wrong older characters (those from unpopular games or without a big fan following) would come off that way too.

That's why the roster needs to be balanced out between older and newer characters, to prevent it from alienating large swaths of the fanbase and potential new players.

Firox

Smash Master
I've been told that Frank O' Connor has a tendency to joke around in his tweets, but "Master Chief is not and never will be in Smash" seems pretty definitive to me.
Sounds about as definitive as the time Sakurai said that Ridley would never get in because he was "too big". People lie. It happens. lol But seriously, I have no idea what chance MC really has of getting in. I've just been having fun mulling over the implications.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sounds about as definitive as the time Sakurai said that Ridley would never get in because he was "too big". People lie. It happens. lol But seriously, I have no idea what chance MC really has of getting in. I've just been having fun mulling over the implications.
Well, that's a bit of an incorrect statement. Sakurai said adding Ridley would be very difficult because he was too big, but he never said he'd 'never get in'. Even if Sakurai did say that, it technically isn't a lie. It probably did seem impossible for a long time, including to the man himself. He probably didn't expect Ridley to ever be tweaked enough to be brought into Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He didn't lie, though. He changed his mind. There's a very big difference in these cases. He didn't believe the character was workable due to size-related issues(including shrinking him down and making him feel intimidating).

Frank has outright lied on Twitter, though that could be a "Deny something due to a NDA" at the time? I dunno. Hard to say. I forgot the exact details, but he said something wouldn't happen in a game or whatever and then it did. Details are a ***** sometimes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we assume MC is indeed deconfirmed and Frank isn't lying this time, the only other character I can think of that would be that huge of a deal is Crash Bandicoot. He may not have been as requested as Banjo, but trying to argue that the character isn't iconic enough to warrant potential viability is laughable. He was the face of the PS1, the console that single-handedly put Nintendo and Sega in second and third respectively along with the death of Atari.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If we assume MC is indeed deconfirmed and Frank isn't lying this time, the only other character I can think of that would be that huge of a deal is Crash Bandicoot. He may not have been as requested as Banjo, but trying to argue that the character isn't iconic enough to warrant potential viability is laughable. He was the face of the PS1, the console that single-handedly put Nintendo and Sega in second and third respectively along with the death of Atari.
Crash doesn’t fit with King Zell’s comments though, although I agree he would be a big deal

Firox

Smash Master
He didn't lie, though. He changed his mind. There's a very big difference in these cases. He didn't believe the character was workable due to size-related issues(including shrinking him down and making him feel intimidating).

Frank has outright lied on Twitter, though that could be a "Deny something due to a NDA" at the time? I dunno. Hard to say. I forgot the exact details, but he said something wouldn't happen in a game or whatever and then it did. Details are a ***** sometimes.
Ok, I see your point. I didn't remember Sakurai's exact words either. Still, to your own point, it could have been an NDA denial thing, or heck, maybe Frank could have changed his mind too. Who's to say?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok, I see your point. I didn't remember Sakurai's exact words either. Still, to your own point, it could have been an NDA denial thing, or heck, maybe Frank could have changed his mind too. Who's to say?
I think 343 denying it makes it more obvious he's disconfirmed. Frank I don't take nearly as seriously(plus, the way I read it, is he's ****posting).

Either way, we'll have to see. 343's thing is that he isn't part of the Fighter's Pass. It doesn't mean he couldn't be a Mii costume. Frank's thing is that Master Chief isn't in the game whatsoever, not even a cameo. I feel like 343 is probably easier to take seriously due to their far more professional nature here.

Firox

Smash Master
I think 343 denying it makes it more obvious he's disconfirmed. Frank I don't take nearly as seriously(plus, the way I read it, is he's ****posting).

Either way, we'll have to see. 343's thing is that he isn't part of the Fighter's Pass. It doesn't mean he couldn't be a Mii costume. Frank's thing is that Master Chief isn't in the game whatsoever, not even a cameo. I feel like 343 is probably easier to take seriously due to their far more professional nature here.
Wow, even 343 deconfirmed? That could be pretty telling then.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wow, even 343 deconfirmed? That could be pretty telling then.
Yeppppp. That's actually when I took it more seriously. Frank's tweet being too weird in context, so I never treated it as more than a soft disconfirmation. 343 is a lot more clear, so...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think it says a lot about the differential of fame/popularity between Halo and Doom when Master Chief is a household name and the protagonist for the latter is known only as "Doomguy" for lack of an actual name or identity.
Let's not pretend that Doom isn't a household name now, both are/were huge back in the day.

I'd argue that Doom is better positioned nowadays, even if that doesn't lessen the impact Halo's had on gaming.

D

Deleted member

I've been told that Frank O' Connor has a tendency to joke around in his tweets, but "Master Chief is not and never will be in Smash" seems pretty definitive to me.
I refuse to believe that was a joke.
He would be completely silent if he were in he created him
What fats is taliking about I’m leaning towards banjo

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Yeppppp. That's actually when I took it more seriously. Frank's tweet being too weird in context, so I never treated it as more than a soft disconfirmation. 343 is a lot more clear, so...
Link to the 343 deconfirmation?

Edit: not that I want to fan this fire because it’s speculation on a third-hand rumor, but I couldn’t find the comment you are talking about.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I must be missing something because this doesn’t look like a denial. Granted, I do think it would be weird for them to tease it if it were happening but that’s different than a denial.
It's pretty much the same thing as a denial. "We wish he was in there too" is literally saying he isn't in there. It's effectively denying him possibly being in the game.

It'd still be fine to say under some NDA's, at least. It coupled with Frank's tweet(which despite it's ****post nature, was still a pretty clear wording) really make me believe he's not happening. Though after many thoughts, and learning how NDA's work a bit better, I'm just skeptical of his chances.

Firox

Smash Master
Let's not pretend that Doom isn't a household name now, both are/were huge back in the day.

I'd argue that Doom is better positioned nowadays, even if that doesn't lessen the impact Halo's had on gaming.
I definitely agree that Doom is a household name, but if you were to ask a random gamer (not those following the alleged smash leaks) what the protagonist's name is, nothing would likely come up. He's just a super generic avatar. I also agree that doom is in a better position than halo when it comes to Nintendo, but there is certainly a charismatic difference between MC and Doomguy.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice made a great post several months ago now breaking down Youtube view counts of the character trailers since Smash 4 up to I think K. Rool. The characters who were realistically the biggest name draws (Cloud from FF and Ryu from SF) had the lowest amount of views whereas the characters that were the biggest fan requests like Megaman, K. Rool, and Ridley had way more views which is a pretty accurate gauge of overall interest. Just because something is a big headline doesn't mean people are going to be as crazy about it.
Mind if you reposted it? i don't i remember seeing that post.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
He really isn't. His games are great, but he's not a huge deal now and he wasn't a huge deal in his heyday. He's a C-lister; nothing wrong with that, but only somebody who is exclusively a Nintendo gamer could think he's anything more than that.
His series (not including Rayman raving rabbids) is sitting at 26 million sales with 5 mainline titles. Nothing to scoff at and definitely iconic.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
That's what we need to do. Let's get to 1000 pages before E3. Please, keep going! I still have faith that Geno can appear in some kind of form but being playable is the absolute dream.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Remember when this thread was about Geno?
Well , to be honest , this is now kind of a social thread for Geno fans and everyone else. We explored a ton of ideas for SMRPG and Geno already , and Geno never appear in any serious leak anymore.

BUT

Remember the post Ovaltine made about Fluffy-Fluffy ? Well...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I still would at least like to see the discussion continue. Many threads stopped once their characters chances have ended but I think Geno's thread continuing really points to how important getting him as a playable character is.

Hopefully someone with influence will start taking notice of us.

Aside from that, I think the most wishful thinking scenario is that Geno is a bonus character once the fighter pass wraps up. It's hard to ignore the fact that we have 5 remaining stage slots on the menu with Joker's stage taking one of them. That honestly leaves room for a bonus character. Knowing the history of surprise DLC character reveals Lucas Roy (without the leaks) and Corrin all seemed like surprises.

I can't imagine who they would be thinking for an additional fighter but I'd love a scenario where we were given Erdrick and Geno as a double reveal similar to how Ken/Incineroar trailer went. Seems like full wishful thinking but I think that would make for an everyone is happy situation. Fans on all sides are happy. Stakeholders are happy. Square marketing is happy. Who wouldn't be happy about this decision. Keep in mind that Geno doesn't even need to come with a stage. We just want the character.

In the event the costume does return, I at least hope Mallow also gets one. I think a Mii Sword fighter fits him best with the frog stick. But that seems to be everyone's guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's hard to ignore the fact that we have 5 remaining stage slots on the menu with Joker's stage taking one of them.
That space is there because when you go to make a new rule set and choose which stages can be there, there is a spot for turning custom stages on and off

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It has been a while since I posted here, but I thought I might share my idea on how Geno Boost would work as a move in Smash if he ever got in, if you all don't mind.

Basically, using down B, Geno charges up the Geno Boost and after a while, it doubles all of Geno's stats, including strength, speed, etc. The move can be used three times maximum. But it works like the SP Flag item, and leaves Geno vulnerable to attack when using it, and if he is attacked, he will have to start all over in using it, just like the flag. So it is best to find a spot where Geno is likely to not be interrupted. If used up to three times, the stats will reset after Geno is KOed.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It has been a while since I posted here, but I thought I might share my idea on how Geno Boost would work as a move in Smash if he ever got in, if you all don't mind.

Basically, using down B, Geno charges up the Geno Boost and after a while, it doubles all of Geno's stats, including strength, speed, etc. The move can be used three times maximum. But it works like the SP Flag item, and leaves Geno vulnerable to attack when using it, and if he is attacked, he will have to start all over in using it, just like the flag. So it is best to find a spot where Geno is likely to not be interrupted. If used up to three times, the stats will reset after Geno is KOed.

What do you guys think?
It sound good in concept , but it depend on how much time you need to charge it.
Because , imagine that you're lucky and you get a Star K.O. , you'll have plenty of time to charge it then. It's fair in this scenario (well , star K.O.s are luck-based , but you get me). But if all you need is like , 3 seconds , throw someone off-stage , and you have a boosted Geno to deal with at the ledge.

If I had a way to tweak your concept , it would be to add timed hits. If you just press down-b , only half of your stats will be doubled. If you time it , all of your stats will be doubled.
Also , I think being able to use the move 3 times is a bit overkill... Double damage is already very good.

Anyway , good concept !

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It sound good in concept , but it depend on how much time you need to charge it.
Because , imagine that you're lucky and you get a Star K.O. , you'll have plenty of time to charge it then. It's fair in this scenario (well , star K.O.s are luck-based , but you get me). But if all you need is like , 3 seconds , throw someone off-stage , and you have a boosted Geno to deal with at the ledge.

If I had a way to tweak your concept , it would be to add timed hits. If you just press down-b , only half of your stats will be doubled. If you time it , all of your stats will be doubled.
Also , I think being able to use the move 3 times is a bit overkill... Double damage is already very good.

Anyway , good concept !
Why thanks! Also, I like your idea on the timed hits. I really do.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Anyway , good concept !
Why thanks! Also, I like your idea on the timed hits. I really do.
Timed hits really make the most sense for Geno as a unique trait to set him apart from other fighters. The Geno Boost implementation is also very fitting. I really like both of these ideas!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Timed hits really make the most sense for Geno as a unique trait to set him apart from other fighters. The Geno Boost implementation is also very fitting. I really like both of these ideas!
Timed hits are like... the only thing consistent among every single Paper Mario game too. All the rpg Mario games, really.

Well, some RPG elements like HP and where the ability to use special moves is shared among the playable characters in some way. Flower Points, Brother Points, Items, etc. Usually stuff like MP is character dependent. This is one of the few series that does it differently. Super Paper Mario kind of does it via the Pixls, who more or less act like the same thing as other various abilities you can do. And take place of the equipment.

Speaking of, what I want Paper Mario to do is have partners again. Like, even if you keep the same inventory style as SS and CS, you give more variety and strategy beyond "Oh, it's an rpg. You have to apply strategy anyway."

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Well , to be honest , this is now kind of a social thread for Geno fans and everyone else. We explored a ton of ideas for SMRPG and Geno already , and Geno never appear in any serious leak anymore.
All right, you all want something Geno-related to do?

ROUND ROBIN TIME

-----------------

Up until yesterday at about 3:30 in the afternoon, had you told me that wishes came true, toys could come alive, and that there were things beyond stars hiding in the dark, waiting for their chance to ravage the stars with the improvidence with which they had already destroyed their own, I would have laughed at you. Despite everything I've seen in the past five years, I would have laughed at you, and had I thought you serious, I would have called for the men in white coats. Or mushrooms, I guess. Somehow, despite having spent the past five years bearing witness to all sorts of absurdities from talking mushrooms and turtles, to floating bricks, to wizards and princesses, to witnessing my brother rise from the lowly states of a timid plumber to becoming one of the bravest heroes in all of history, some-****ing-how yesterday managed to top everything.

Hi. My name is Luigi. I, too, was a timid plumber -- still am. Starting from yesterday, though, the universe apparently decided enough was enough of my **** and decided to "do" something about the "timid" part...

I'm still trying to figure out how to get poor Professor E. Gadd down from that hook on the top of the wall, though...

-----------------

EDIT: What? Did I kill the thread? Should we just speculate on E3 instead?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So I’m thinking we maybe should pump the breaks on the Master Chief assumption in general... This was posted on the Banjo-Kazooie thread
1BF18DF8-3B63-4493-ADE2-3A310D4789B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oof, yeah, that ain't cool. I'd honestly discard that then. Sorry Fatman, I like ya, dude, but this shows me that we really ought to take the things you're saying with a bigger grain of salt than before.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If I remember correctly, @ForsakenM talked about Fatman’s info not having any connection to Polar earlier in this thread and it completely slipped my mind till now.

If it’s just speculation on Fatman’s part he should just tell us that it is rather than mislead us by presenting it as insider info.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I almost feel like taking a break from here for a bit like a couple others...
I don’t have any drama, or anything like that for it. I am starting school again though to eventually lead into computer programming(which requires lots of math...i hate math...nightmares here i come), so I really need to cut back on my gaming and stuff revolving around gaming in general. I’m just about to turn 31 next week. I’ve wasted too much time after getting my ged over 6 years ago. I’m at that point in life where if I don’t start this now my chance is pretty much zero.

I might lurk a bit but I don’t see myself posting too much for awhile.

* geno and/or banjo being revealed will be an exception, expect me to go crazy posting my excitement over their announcement here. Ideally both, but if we get just one i (preferably Geno...) I won’t be able to contain myself.

Anyhow later everyone. ✌

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom