• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That certainly didnt stop Smash from trying to do that with what they got.
That's a fair point haha. However, in terms of spoiling, I was mostly talking about content that casuals or even hardcore gamers that never touched the original may not be aware of. Nearly everyone and their grandmas are well aware of Aeriths death scene. Do a search on Youtube for top 5/10/15 saddest moments in video games and I can almost guarantee you that 90% of them will mention it, but how many of those people that recognizes it know who Jenova is and her importance to the plot? How many know that you have a four legged talking canine/feline for a party member? How many know that you start the game by working with a terrorist group? My moneys on not many. I would have loved to see spirits of Jenova or Red XIII or any of the Avalanche members but going back to my point, I don't think they want to give away anything that's crucial to the games narrative that isn't Aerith's death.

There's no harm for Smash referencing it. Again, everyone knows about that scene. You can even ask Coca-Cola. They copyrighted the damn thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There's no harm for Smash referencing it. Again, everyone knows about that scene. You can even ask Coca-Cola. They copyrighted the damn thing.
uh

excuse me

i'm sorry but what have i missed

what do you mean coca-cola copyrighted it

when phoenix down doesn't work you gotta use the coca-cola?

aerith is laid to rest in a pool of coke?

please elaborate because u ****in w0t m8

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's a fair point haha. However, in terms of spoiling, I was mostly talking about content that casuals or even hardcore gamers that never touched the original may not be aware of. Nearly everyone and their grandmas are well aware of Aeriths death scene. Do a search on Youtube for top 5/10/15 saddest moments in video games and I can almost guarantee you that 90% of them will mention it, but how many of those people that recognizes it know who Jenova is and her importance to the plot? How many know that you have a four legged talking canine/feline for a party member? How many know that you start the game by working with a terrorist group? My moneys on not many. I would have loved to see spirits of Jenova or Red XIII or any of the Avalanche members but going back to my point, I don't think they want to give away anything that's crucial to the games narrative that isn't Aerith's death.

There's a difference between giving away key plot points and scenes, and not showing literally nothing in the entire universe. Up to and including the party members you start out with. I mean, surely it would be okay to show off Barrett and Tifa?

D

Deleted member

please elaborate because u ****in w0t m8
Coca-Cola collaborated with SE in the 90's and ran ads for their product with scenes from FF7. They'll copyright claim Youtube videos that uses it and demonitizes them.

There's a difference between giving away key plot points and scenes, and not showing literally nothing in the entire universe. Up to and including the party members you start out with. I mean, surely it would be okay to show off Barrett and Tifa?
It's all just theory. I dunno for a fact that the 7R is preventing Nintendo/Sakurai from referencing more in Smash but I wouldn't put it past Square if that's their mindset. It'd onviously be more than okay to show off spirits of the other party members and villains. It'd be fantastic if they even used Nomura's original designs. I'm in total agreement that it's ridiculous to not reference these things or characters at all considering how much Capcom, Sega and Konami have offered in regards to spirits specifically. It really makes SE kind of look like the black sheep in the Smash realm.

Square can be weird. Very weird. I just think it's interesting to keep in mind because I don't think it's entirely impossible. I'm just trying to figure out just like everyone else where the hell the rest of the FF7 content is in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Coca-Cola collaborated with SE in the 90's and ran ads for their product with scenes from FF7. They'll copyright claim Youtube videos that uses it and demonitizes them.

It's all just theory. I dunno for a fact that the 7R is preventing Nintendo/Sakurai from referencing more in Smash but I wouldn't put it past Square if that's their mindset. It'd onviously be more than okay to show off spirits of the other party members and villains. It'd be fantastic if they even used Nomura's original designs. I'm in total agreement that it's ridiculous to not reference these things or characters at all considering how much Capcom, Sega and Konami have offered in regards to spirits specifically. It really makes SE kind of look like the black sheep in the Smash realm.

Square can be weird. Very weird. I just think it's interesting to keep in mind because I don't think it's entirely impossible. I'm just trying to figure out just like everyone else where the hell the rest of the FF7 content is in Smash.
I don't know, I just don't know. The thing is that Cloud was apparently the hardest to negotiate for getting back into Smash, so I doubt withholding on content would be to avoid spoiling plot points, otherwise you might as well not even include him since he is a walking spoiler by that logic.

Even just a Chocobo would do, seriously. Doesn't have to be in Nomura's copyrighted art style, just take the in-game graphics!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That is both sad and absolutely hilarious, what the heck.

Don't watch your nemesis kill your good friend, but do catch yourself a nice, refreshing Coca-Cola today! Cloud Strife approved!

D

Deleted member

I don't know, I just don't know. The thing is that Cloud was apparently the hardest to negotiate for getting back into Smash, so I doubt withholding on content would be to avoid spoiling plot points, otherwise you might as well not even include him since he is a walking spoiler by that logic.
We don't know all the details why he was the hardest though. Again, just theorizing but I think that Square knew that they could use Cloud for another cash grab and wanted to make him DLC again. IIRC, I think it was confirmed somewhere that they argued to make him DLC again (please correct me if I'm wrong though). But why would they if that's true? To make up for any lost funds from their last fiscal year, and they did not have a good year. Obviously wasn't going to be the case with the whole "Everyone is Here!" mantra they hyped which is why the alleged rumours of another Square rep is entirely possible. If you ask me I think another Square rep for DLC is a hard lock whether it's Geno, Erdrick, Sephiroth, Sora, whatever, I'm convinced that will happen because Square likes money. I think my theory about the 7R being a cockblock about content mostly makes sense when applying it to the music as opposed to potential spirits. Also, I only mentioned spoiling things as an example. I don't necessarily believe it to be true but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the case.

As far as logic goes; Square's weird. They're logic isn't the most... logical.

Even just a Chocobo would do, seriously. Doesn't have to be in Nomura's copyrighted art style, just take the in-game graphics!
I concur. 110%. Use the original in-game 8-bit sprite from FF2 for all I care. Anything is better than nothing.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I definitely would've loved to see some FF7 spirits in Smash.

Red XIII is my favorite party member, and I named him "Red VII" because one of my friend's usernames has "Red" in it and 7 is his favorite number. I also do not name my party members anything, I stick to their original names, but I only did it this once with Red XIII. I really wish Red XIII was a spirit.

I know this is kinda off-topic, and I hope this isn't just me seeing this, but it also just seems like Barret is kinda based off of Geno; both have a gun for a hand. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any art of Geno and Barret together; it just seems like these two would get along nicely and compliment each other on their guns.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well if Cloud was the hardest to get wouldn't that be a massive plus for Geno? I don't have much hope for him anymore but I can't deny that him being super easy to get for putting a Fan Favorite in is one of the last huge things going for him.

Think about it he's a Massive Fan-Favorite and Sakurai has almost everything he needs to put Geno in Smash all he needs is the A-Okay from Square themselves.

We have the Composer of SMRPG on board, The Rights to Geno's Likeness, Mallow's Spirit which shows they can Use SMRPG stuff and SMRPG References which is even more Evidence that they could use SMRPG stuff! That would likely mean he's one of the easiest Square Reps to get.

So He's both a Massive Fan Favorite and one of the easiest Square Reps to get which is so strange as to why they might not put Geno in Smash. Just do it you cowards!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's funny because Square has no problem with letting other companies use their stuff, but when it comes to Nintendo, they treat Nintendo like they're a kid that can't handle anything. Yamauchi must've really pissed Square's executives off to make them act like this.

Off-topic: I think Capcom is like that "fanboy" company that loves having their characters represented as much as possible. They were also nice enough to put more Street Fighter soundtracks in Ultimate, even before Ken's reveal; Mega Man also got more soundtracks, and no newcomers from Mega Man, but they were still nice enough to have new remixes in Ultimate. But I do agree, who wouldn't want their stuff represented in Smash? I'd be honored.
Beyond the honor of being in Smash, having your characters in just makes business sense. You get paid, your IP gets exposure (really good exposure, like crazy accurate to the product and lovingly crafted), you are associated with the best in gaming and you gain street cred with fans for allowing your stuff in Smash. How many people took a liking to Konami again because of how well they played with Snake being back and Castlevania getting the motherload?

D

Deleted member

Hey Geno thread, anything new happen while I was gone?
Nope! Nothing of interest has happened except for Best Buy leaking Persona 5 for Switch, Joker's Render, LoZ: Link to the Past for the Switch and Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Switch. Though if you've been anywhere near the Internet I'm sure you've already known that.

Anywho I've finally gotten Started on my new Essay for Geno! It's more of a remake of my last one with a lot of differences as my last one had a lot of glaring flaws, I hope I can do right by you Geno Thread! I may have not been around here frequently but I love Y'all, You all are like Family. One big Geno Family.

Also Goodnight Y'all!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy birthday Ovaltine. :)

Also guys, we are just one page away from passing the Brawl thread twice. What a milestone.

Could you imagine??? "And the fifth slot for smash DLC is.....CRANKY KONG HOBBLES INTO BATTLE!"

Dixie fans would be pissed. :psycho:
I would prefer Dixie first, but I would gladly welcome Cranky with open arms if he happens to get in before her.

I honestly don't think Cranky would show up this early. Even Funky would take priority.

Besides, there might be two more passes later on.
The only way I see Funky getting into Ultimate at this point is as a Echo in a potential Season Pass later down the line or in a patch update. But besides that, I think Sakurai knows the 2nd most popular DK rep in the Ballot after K. Rool was Dixie and that is why she got that Mii hat. I believe Dixie or any Kong's chances of getting into Ultimate's DLC packs depends all on if Nintendo has Retro cooking up DKCR3 at this very moment and plan to release Dixie or any other said Kong as DLC for Ultimate to promote the new DKC game.

So He's both a Massive Fan Favorite and one of the easiest Square Reps to get which is so strange as to why they might not put Geno in Smash. Just do it you cowards!
Square-Enix's reaction towards Nintendo and us if we don't get another rep from them at all:

D

Deleted member

Happy birthday Ovaltine Ovaltine !! Hoping that you have a good day!

I also entered the thread thinking about a Geno vs Tails Doll fight.
Who could win? My idea is that Geno has the potential to beat TD with a good strategy.

D

Deleted member

Happy birthday Ovaltine Ovaltine !! Hoping that you have a good day!

I also entered the thread thinking about a Geno vs Tails Doll fight.
Who could win? My idea is that Geno has the potential to beat TD with a good strategy.
Oh nah Geno doesn't need a strategy.

He just shoots and scores.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey, All. I found an interesting tidbit about Joker's addition to Smash Bros: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...out-because-masahiro-sakurai-loved-persona-5/

According to Atlus, Joker's inclusion was very much the doing of Sakurai and his own personal love for the Persona series. A few things that I took away from this:

1) If the Nintendo execs are really the ones choosing the fighter pass DLC, then did they put Sakurai up to this? Or was Sakurai full of crap and claimed it was on the execs to dodge any blame for who ends up as DLC? Not that I dislike Joker, but it sounds like Sakurai was acting on his own agenda.

2) If Nintendo is calling the shots and gave Sakurai a list from which to choose the DLC, then that means we are still very much at the mercy of Sakurai's bias and whimsy. (Which given some of his picks, I frankly don't have a lot of faith in.....then again, I'm super hype for Joker and loved Cloud's inclusion so I could always be pleasantly surprised)

Which brings me to my last bit of speculation:

3) If the execs gave Sakurai a list of possible fighters, would Geno have been on it? COULD he be on it? If he were, would Sakurai actually choose him? There have been claims since Brawl that Sakurai would have wanted Geno in, but considering the 40 characters released since then, does he really? Joker seems pretty left field as a third party, but I guess Piranha plant was as close to home as it gets. There's really no telling what could be in store for us, but I just found this article to be suspicious if true.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, All. I found an interesting tidbit about Joker's addition to Smash Bros: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...out-because-masahiro-sakurai-loved-persona-5/

According to Atlus, Joker's inclusion was very much the doing of Sakurai and his own personal love for the Persona series. A few things that I took away from this:

1) If the Nintendo execs are really the ones choosing the fighter pass DLC, then did they put Sakurai up to this? Or was Sakurai full of crap and claimed it was on the execs to dodge any blame for who ends up as DLC? Not that I dislike Joker, but it sounds like Sakurai was acting on his own agenda.

2) If Nintendo is calling the shots and gave Sakurai a list from which to choose the DLC, then that means we are still very much at the mercy of Sakurai's bias and whimsy. (Which given some of his picks, I frankly don't have a lot of faith in.....then again, I'm super hype for Joker and loved Cloud's inclusion so I could always be pleasantly surprised)

3) If the execs gave Sakurai a list of possible fighters, would Geno have been on it? COULD he be on it? If he were, would Sakurai actually choose him? There have been claims since Brawl that Sakurai would have wanted Geno in, but considering the 40 characters released since then, does he really? Joker seems pretty left field as a third party, but I guess Piranha plant was as close to home as it gets. There's really no telling what could be in store for us, but I just found this article to be suspicious if true.
It also speaks volumes for why Erdrick would be included, too, given Sakurai loves DQ with III being his favorite. It'd make sense that he'd be willing to go to Square. Maybe he made the initial picks and Nintendo had to accept or veto them as opposed to the other way around, which... uh... Wouldn't that be how it'd normally go anyway? I dunno, something is weird about that, but it does make me even more certain about Erdrick's and Geno's futures, and not in the way I'd have personally liked.

Doesn't help that I had a dream last night about a new Mario Kart with Geno and Mallow included as playable. I was excited to get home and play it... and I woke up before I could. :drsad:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I'm wondering the same thing, if it was true or not when sakurai said it was up to nintendo. He could have lied and it was still mostly up to him, in which case I think Geno has a bigger chance. It could also be that he just used the fact that he loved persona 5 in the conversations with atlus and they thought it was his decision.

I dont like to pin him as lying, so I think the middle ground is that he picked from the list nintendo gave, in which case it was still his choice but in a limited range. I really thought he only had a say in it (as to doable or not) and that nintendo decided instead for dlc, but the interview really makes it sound like he just went after it himself. :O

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm wondering the same thing, if it was true or not when sakurai said it was up to nintendo. He could have lied and it was still mostly up to him, in which case I think Geno has a bigger chance. It could also be that he just used the fact that he loved persona 5 in the conversations with atlus and they thought it was his decision.
It at least gives me the tiniest bit of hope for any DLC after the Fighter's Pass, but that's still so full of uncertainty. It does make me think Geno has a great shot if we get more DLC, but in my mind, FP is all we're getting, and I'm pretty sure Erdrick has that spot. In fact, I've never been more certain about a character being a lock, and I'd eat my hat if Erdrick wasn't in.

Firox

Smash Master
Doesn't help that I had a dream last night about a new Mario Kart with Geno and Mallow included as playable. I was excited to get home and play it... and I woke up before I could. :drsad:
Dang it. Isn't that always how it goes?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It at least gives me the tiniest bit of hope for any DLC after the Fighter's Pass, but that's still so full of uncertainty. It does make me think Geno has a great shot if we get more DLC, but in my mind, FP is all we're getting, and I'm pretty sure Erdrick has that spot. In fact, I've never been more certain about a character being a lock, and I'd eat my hat if Erdrick wasn't in.
I think dlc fighters are still good business and they're just waiting before making any announcement on future waves. I'd like for that to be true quite a bit, including for more chances for shantae and other characters. Even just 1st party characters. Ultimate is pretty great and it'd be a shame to end on just 5 extra characters.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Good news, I think if we get more Fighter Passes, then Geno will become an almost certainty. The funny reason why is because by then, there will be almost no more notable characters left in existence for Nintendo to add. XD

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Good news, I think if we get more Fighter Passes, then Geno will become an almost certainty. The funny reason why is because by then, there will be almost no more notable characters left in existence for Nintendo to add. XD
There's actually a lot of characters they could add. But since we know Sakurai has more say, there's more chance for geno since he's wanted him in since brawl :)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Allegedly.
Right. Well to me it still says he has more say because I thought he had none, just from what he said on twitter :p
And the brawl geno thing was in an interview so that's true, unless he was lying again. How can i ever trust you again sakurai? ;p

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Right. Well to me it still says he has more say because I thought he had none, just from what he said on twitter :p
And the brawl geno thing was in an interview so that's true, unless he was lying again. How can i ever trust you again sakurai? ;p
That's what I'm saying! I don't know what's real anymore! Where do the lies end and the Geno begins???

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Guys, remember what Sakurai said about the DLC selection?

"Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete," Sakurai said in a tweet. "This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan."
"This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan."
If you read it this way, it basically states that Nintendo handed them a list, and Sakurai could choose from the list who he wanted to make. Hopefully, Geno was on that list and Sakurai chose him.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Guys, remember what Sakurai said about the DLC selection?

If you read it this way, it basically states that Nintendo handed them a list, and Sakurai could choose from the list who he wanted to make. Hopefully, Geno was on that list and Sakurai chose him.
It sounds like it's contradictory, though. The new interview makes it sound like Nintendo didn't choose Joker, and that Sakurai made the choice all his own. We don't know if Nintendo gave him a list. Maybe Nintendo wanted a different pick and Sakurai vetoed it for Joker?

Did you draw that yourself? s'cute ;)
Just assuming you did cuz there's ducklings there. ;p
Oh, no, that's not me! The source is linked in the image.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It sounds like it's contradictory, though. The new interview makes it sound like Nintendo didn't choose Joker, and that Sakurai made the choice all his own. We don't know if Nintendo gave him a list. Maybe Nintendo wanted a different pick and Sakurai vetoed it for Joker?

Oh, no, that's not me! The source is linked in the image.
I'm surprised geno is this popular with ducks :O
Unless there's a reference in smrpg i forgot about.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm surprised geno is this popular with ducks :O
Unless there's a reference in smrpg i forgot about.
Honestly, no! It's a total coincidence, which is ridiculously funny to me. I made my icon the banana duck out of a whim because it was in my 'trash bin' folder of images I found stupidly amusing. It was one of the more appropriate, G-rated things in there, so I was like, "Sure, why not?" and... the rest is history.

When I did that, I had no idea this art existed. It killed me with laughter when I saw it. What is it with Geno and ducks?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Oh, I don't think it's contradictory.

My interpretation is that if Nintendo handed Sakurai a decent-sized list of acceptable characters for DLC selection, Joker was most definitely on it. Once he saw Joker on the list, Sakurai probably leaped out of his chair. After he made his five choices, he still had to approach each owner of the chosen characters for negotiations to get the rights to the characters. So Sakurai kickstarting talks to get each character still makes sense.

I really doubt Nintendo made the more-than-five-character-list and then went out and talked with a bunch of people who might not get their characters selected into the game. If Sakurai is still the one negotiating for the characters, which that interview confirms is what happened, than it wasn't Nintendo execs who did it.

Honestly, this explanation makes more sense than Nintendo giving Sakurai a list of five characters which he has to make as DLC, while also forcing him to obtain the rights to those characters without failure.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's what I'm saying! I don't know what's real anymore! Where do the lies end and the Geno begins???
The lies end with the paranoid theories much of the Smash fanbase has been coming up with for the last three months--, nay, the last decade.

There is this hot trend called "changing your mind", it's quite popular among people. :4pacman: Not the first time, not the last.

Besides, you can't have a fixed idea forever, what seemed like a neat idea at the time eventually gets set aside due to specific circumstances, like realising it doesn't work as well as you thought it would, not being widespread in popularity enough or not being permitted to use it by a superior (subtly or bluntly). This is the reason why a certain trope exists.

What I'm saying is, Sakurai doesn't mess with people for a long time, only for the short term within an announcement/direct and usually before a reveal happens. He's not Suda 51 here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh is it Ovaltine Ovaltine 's Birthday? Well if that's the case then Happy Birthday! I hope you're alright and everyone here has your back, Whenever you need us we'll be there!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The lies end with the paranoid theories much of the Smash fanbase has been coming up with for the last three months--, nay, the last decade.

There is this hot trend called "changing your mind", it's quite popular among people. :4pacman: Not the first time, not the last.

Besides, you can't have a fixed idea forever, what seemed like a neat idea at the time eventually gets set aside due to specific circumstances, like realising it doesn't work as well as you thought it would, not being widespread in popularity enough or not being permitted to use it by a superior (subtly or bluntly). This is the reason why a certain trope exists.

What I'm saying is, Sakurai doesn't mess with people for a long time, only for the short term within an announcement/direct and usually before a reveal happens. He's not Suda 51 here.
I dont know what you mean by changing your mind. It seems like he was thinking about geno strongly enough and wanted the mii costume at least.
Now we dont even know what's going on with that. There's supposed to be back dlc mii outfits at some point but it's weird to me that they're waiting so long to release them. I might want the chocobo one back too. (wouldnt mind it as a fighter either XD)

Last edited:

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
Honestly, no! It's a total coincidence, which is ridiculously funny to me. I made my icon the banana duck out of a whim because it was in my 'trash bin' folder of images I found stupidly amusing. It was one of the more appropriate, G-rated things in there, so I was like, "Sure, why not?" and... the rest is history.

When I did that, I had no idea this art existed. It killed me with laughter when I saw it. What is it with Geno and ducks?
haha that’s amazing. Geno confirmed duck tier lover

I can imagine geno loving ducks, if only to say “Yo, Smithy! What the duck is wrong with you?! Messing up star road like that? You’re a fool!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom