• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's me right there.

Also, Internet haters tend to be teenagers with too much time on their hands, especially at Summer.
Even more reason for me to be a grumpy ol' fogey today, shaking my cane at these darned kids while my dentures soak.

Consarn it, get these toxic Smash fans off my gosh darned lawn!!

Firox

Smash Master
Even more reason for me to be a grumpy ol' fogey today, shaking my cane at these darned kids while my dentures soak.

No, seriously, get them Smash varmits off muh lawn! (sprays garden hose) *SNAP* Ah! Muh back!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guys, we are just 3 pages away from passing the Brawl thread twice. :bluejump:

Agreed with your other points but this doesn't say much. That cutscene was missing a lot of characters, including :ultpacman::ultryu: and even :ultpeach:.
And :ultganondorf:. I think we all know why he wasn't on that hill fighting with the Smash gang if you have any idea what I'm talking about. :laugh:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

No, seriously, get them Smash varmits off muh lawn! (sprays garden hose) *SNAP* Ah! Muh back!
Man, I wish Cranky gets more support some day, we'd get to do more jokes like these.

Guys, we are just 3 pages away from passing the Brawl thread twice. :bluejump:

And :ultganondorf:. I think we all know why he wasn't on that hill fighting with the Smash gang if you have any idea what I'm talking about. :laugh:
Come to think of it, the only type of big showoff Cloud got at all (outside the site) was the gameplay montage at the title screen. Didn't even show up in the banner ad.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Could you imagine??? "And the fifth slot for smash DLC is.....CRANKY KONG HOBBLES INTO BATTLE!"

Dixie fans would be pissed. :psycho:
I wouldn't even be mad. Cranky's hype - just ask anyone who's played Tropical Freeze. :upsidedown:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, very interesting thing I found while peeking at Geno stuff on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/scp11037/status/1097686755560574976

This person apparently talked to some Squeenix employees at a toy fair and got some interesting info. One guy was spouting some nonsense about, "Geno will be an Assist Trophy," (which I'd take with a massive grain of salt, dude probably knows nothing) but what the other dude said was interesting. Apparently, people at Square Enix, at least in the American office, want Geno in Smash just as much as NoA does, but it's ultimately 'Nintendo's decision' to include him or not. I can only guess they don't know THAT much of what goes on at SE's home office in Japan, but...

Hm. Very, very interesting. Maybe Square is more ok with Geno in Smash than we thought?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

This person apparently talked to some Squeenix employees at a toy fair and got some interesting info. One guy was spouting some nonsense about, "Geno will be an Assist Trophy," (which I'd take with a massive grain of salt, dude probably knows nothing) but what the other dude said was interesting. Apparently, people at Square Enix, at least in the American office, want Geno in Smash just as much as NoA does, but it's ultimately 'Nintendo's decision' to include him or not. I can only guess they don't know THAT much of what goes on at SE's home office in Japan, but...

Hm. Very, very interesting. Maybe Square is more ok with Geno in Smash than we thought?
I wouldn't look much into it, seems like a fake story to me. If Geno isn't playable then I imagine they'll give him back his mii costume rather than an assist trophy.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wouldn't look much into it, seems like a fake story to me. If Geno isn't playable then I imagine they'll give him back his mii costume rather than an assist trophy.
Yeah, the one dude saying he'll be an assist is spouting dumb trash. The other dude may not be, but I'm sharing this with a grain of salt. It's interesting, but nothing more than that.

D

Deleted member

I mean, anything made up can be said online, like all the 4Chan leaks.

Don't really see any point in believing this.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I honestly don't think Cranky would show up this early. Even Funky would take priority.

Besides, there might be two more passes later on.
Would Funky be the next priority though? He's appeared in as much as Cranky and I'd argue Cranky's much more iconic for how he taunts the players in the original DKC. Plus, Tropical Freeze gives him a leg-up on Funky originally at least. I know the whole Funky Kong memes took off, but before that he was not even much of a consideration in comparison. I'd also think that Cranky Kong would provide a lot more opportunities for a funny/unique move set than Funky honestly. His taunts alone should make him a priority.

Not that it matters when the next DK character absolutely has to be Dixie Kong and we're still waiting on her.

Two more passes? That's quite the optimistic outlook my friend. I really hope so, but let's see where the first one takes us before we start counting on such things.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, anything made up can be said online, like all the 4Chan leaks.

Don't really see any point in believing this.
Understandable, but with that said, I'd put it on the level of the whole, "SMRPG music was playing at Nintendo World," thing. It's interesting and something that lifts an eyebrow, but we have no proof of it beyond hearsay. Thought it'd still be worth mentioning.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Polar's source from within NOA however has stated that Geno was brought up/potentially rumored a while back. That and the Super Mario RPG music at Nintendo World, so I think that something is up with Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Polar's source from within NOA however has stated that Geno was brought up/potentially rumored a while back. That and the Super Mario RPG music at Nintendo World, so I think that something is up with Geno.
Rumored by a supervisor, no less. It wasn't just a random water cooler rumor between lower-rank employees. It was her source's supervisor. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't think too much of the rumor, but the fact that it's from someone higher-up the Nintendo of America echelon is what has me intrigued.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would Funky be the next priority though? He's appeared in as much as Cranky and I'd argue Cranky's much more iconic for how he taunts the players in the original DKC. Plus, Tropical Freeze gives him a leg-up on Funky originally at least. I know the whole Funky Kong memes took off, but before that he was not even much of a consideration in comparison. I'd also think that Cranky Kong would provide a lot more opportunities for a funny/unique move set than Funky honestly. His taunts alone should make him a priority.

Not that it matters when the next DK character absolutely has to be Dixie Kong and we're still waiting on her.

Two more passes? That's quite the optimistic outlook my friend. I really hope so, but let's see where the first one takes us before we start counting on such things.
Well, they're going to be letting a lot of dead open slots in WOL if there's indeed nothing coming afterwards.

I heard conflicting reports about the remaining character ID slots being either all filled up or not all filled up by the end of 4's DLC cycle, so which was it?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, they're going to be letting a lot of dead open slots in WOL if there's indeed nothing coming afterwards.

I heard conflicting reports about the remaining character ID slots being either all filled up or not all filled up by the end of 4's DLC cycle, so which was it?
They were filled. In fact, they had to allot one extra slot to add Corrin because of their two alts. Still, we have only had one Smash game with DLC, so there is no pattern to speak of, and this could all still be futureproofing.

Yo happy birthday Ovaltine Ovaltine !
Yo, thank you, Charlie Brown man! <3

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
Happy birthday Ovaltine Ovaltine you are an awesome person and a lot of fun to see posts from and a talented artist! I hope you had a wonderful birthday :)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If nothing else, I'd say this news at least bodes well for the future of SMRPG as a series. Both Nintendo and SE seem to be interested in its characters to some degree, and considering how much they've been collaborating recently, I'd call the possibility of a followup/remake of SMRPG likely at this point. I have a feeling that we'll see a revival for our boys soon enough, Smash or no Smash.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If nothing else, I'd say this news at least bodes well for the future of SMRPG as a series. Both Nintendo and SE seem to be interested in its characters to some degree, and considering how much they've been collaborating recently, I'd call the possibility of a followup/remake of SMRPG likely at this point. I have a feeling that we'll see a revival for our boys soon enough, Smash or no Smash.
Eh, I dunno about that. I'd still take the Square interest bit with a huge grain of salt and not as fact. It's sketchy, to say the least, even if fascinating.

Also, thanks for the birthday wishes, y'all!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

As far as I know, Smash 4 had a really high number of similar ID slots that weren't filled.

But regardless of Smash 4, I think it's a lot more likely that Nintendo created a contingency in which they could have the slots for as many DLC characters as they wanted to make rather than predetermined that they were going to release like 20 more characters. I genuinely don't know how long Sakurai wants to work on Smash and Ultimate in particular. He mentioned there had to be an end for Smash 4's DLC, and while I think Ultimate is ripe for more since the Switch is doing well, it's also reasonable to say that Nintendo will be content with a single season of DLC as they generally have been with most games outside of Splatoon 2's consistent updates.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I know some of you have touched on this already, but seriously, why the hell is Square Enix so stingy with their IPs? Pretty much every developer in existence would wet themselves with joy to see their creations up there beside the likes of Mario, Sonic, Snake, Megaman and Ryu. I mean, Smash has been one of the most influential franchises in gaming history! They westernized Fire Emblem for goodness sake! They singled-handedly resurrected Kid Icarus, not to mention keeping dead franchises alive with Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers and Little Mac. All it takes is one smash bros appearance and suddenly an obscure IP can gain instant celebrity...forever. Fans will plead for their inclusion in all future iterations until the end of time no matter how campy or bland you think they might be.

Then we have Square Enix. Oh hey, Nintendo, we're holding onto a character from an old collaboration. There's absolutely no reason I can fathom why not to just hand him over and rake in the cash, not only for his DLC but for the legendary and impending sequel that would be sure to follow, but whatevs. Oh, you want Cloud? I don't know...are you MAN enough to handle Cloud? Maybe with enough afterwork incentives and a signed blood contract I could lend him to you with say...two music tracks? We're just baller like that. Oh and if you want Sephiroth, we're gonna need a first-born child....
It's funny because Square has no problem with letting other companies use their stuff, but when it comes to Nintendo, they treat Nintendo like they're a kid that can't handle anything. Yamauchi must've really pissed Square's executives off to make them act like this.

Off-topic: I think Capcom is like that "fanboy" company that loves having their characters represented as much as possible. They were also nice enough to put more Street Fighter soundtracks in Ultimate, even before Ken's reveal; Mega Man also got more soundtracks, and no newcomers from Mega Man, but they were still nice enough to have new remixes in Ultimate. But I do agree, who wouldn't want their stuff represented in Smash? I'd be honored.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I know, Smash 4 had a really high number of similar ID slots that weren't filled.

But regardless of Smash 4, I think it's a lot more likely that Nintendo created a contingency in which they could have the slots for as many DLC characters as they wanted to make rather than predetermined that they were going to release like 20 more characters. I genuinely don't know how long Sakurai wants to work on Smash and Ultimate in particular. He mentioned there had to be an end for Smash 4's DLC, and while I think Ultimate is ripe for more since the Switch is doing well, it's also reasonable to say that Nintendo will be content with a single season of DLC as they generally have been with most games outside of Splatoon 2's consistent updates.
In any case, let's agree to disagree until that danged fifth character is revealed. We'll see what happens, given that people doubted Ultimate would even get DLC with the ton of content the base game already had.

It's funny because Square has no problem with letting other companies use their stuff, but when it comes to Nintendo, they treat Nintendo like they're a kid that can't handle anything. Yamauchi must've really pissed Square's executives off to make them act like this.

Off-topic: I think Capcom is like that "fanboy" company that loves having their characters represented as much as possible. They were also nice enough to put more Street Fighter soundtracks in Ultimate, even before Ken's reveal; Mega Man also got more soundtracks, and no newcomers from Mega Man, but they were still nice enough to have new remixes in Ultimate. But I do agree, who wouldn't want their stuff represented in Smash? I'd be honored.
Meanwhile, Enix actually shows more courtesy in regards to DQ crossovers. Why, who imagined that the Mario cast would interact with those characters? Granted, the ball has to be on their court for that to happen, but still.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Thanks for sharing this!

Well, you know the drill, don't trust regular Square employees. especially since the higher-ups at Square love to throw their own employees off with false info. Good to know that Geno's still being talked about, even by Square, but I find it interesting how Geno was somehow in Smash-related news. But why add more assist trophies in April when they could've added them all when the game came out? Yeah, that's what throws me off. Pretty sure the only things we'll get in 3.0.0 is Stage Builder, minigames, and Joker as DLC. Smash news involving Geno is nice to hear, but I'll wait and see in 3.0.0.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thanks for sharing this!

Well, you know the drill, don't trust regular Square employees. especially since the higher-ups at Square love to throw their own employees off with false info. Good to know that Geno's still being talked about, even by Square, but I find it interesting how Geno was somehow in Smash-related news. But why add more assist trophies in April when they could've added them all when the game came out? Yeah, that's what throws me off. Pretty sure the only things we'll get in 3.0.0 is Stage Builder, minigames, and Joker as DLC. Smash news involving Geno is nice to hear, but I'll wait and see in 3.0.0.
Yeah, totally agreed. If and only if this is true and Square's been talking about Geno in a positive light, too, it at least makes me a little more hopeful about his future, Smash or not. We'll just have to wait and see. Again, massive grain of salt with this, especially since the AT thing sounds like a big load.

Feliz cumpleaños, Ovaltine Ovaltine

May this creepy masked guy bring you joy on this 27th year of your life.
To you, I say thank you!

To creepy masked guy, uh...

Th-... Thank you...?! :drflip:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
In any case, let's agree to disagree until that danged fifth character is revealed. We'll see what happens, given that people doubted Ultimate would even get DLC with the ton of content the base game already had.
I mean, I'm not saying that I don't think there could be more DLC than just the Fighter's Pass (I think an Echo could be a real possibility as a surprise along the way TBH), but I am for sure saying I don't think Nintendo made a definitive plan as to how many characters they were going to produce super early on and this many. If it takes over a year to just see five of them release, then we're talking about having a plan until almost 2022-2023. It's much more likely that they just made slots to basically act as an insurance for any reality moving forward so Sakurai can decide on his own terms without being necessarily bound to Smash for the next three-four years of his life.

A second DLC season seems to be a possibility for sure, but I'm going to really push back against the idea that those slots are indicative of how many characters we're going to get. 20+ slots is a damn high number of them, even with certain Alts taking up a theoretical slot or two.

Also, Ovaltine Ovaltine I absolutely meant to say it sooner, but Happy Birthday! It's a pleasure seeing you on the forums and I always enjoy reading your posts. I hope you're enjoying your day!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, I'm not saying that I don't think there could be more DLC than just the Fighter's Pass (I think an Echo could be a real possibility as a surprise along the way TBH), but I am for sure saying I don't think Nintendo made a definitive plan as to how many characters they were going to produce super early on and this many. If it takes over a year to just see five of them release, then we're talking about having a plan until almost 2022-2023. It's much more likely that they just made slots to basically act as an insurance for any reality moving forward so Sakurai can decide on his own terms without being necessarily bound to Smash for the next three-four years of his life.

A second DLC season seems to be a possibility for sure, but I'm going to really push back against the idea that those slots are indicative of how many characters we're going to get. 20+ slots is a damn high number of them, even with certain Alts taking up a theoretical slot or two.

Also, Ovaltine Ovaltine I absolutely meant to say it sooner, but Happy Birthday! It's a pleasure seeing you on the forums and I always enjoy reading your posts. I hope you're enjoying your day!
I thought it was 16 in WOL, with PP's addition only leaving out 15 remaining? The 30 ID slots (general files, not WOL specifically) obviously don't factor into this, regardless of the low likelihood of there being more newcomers with 8 alts.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I thought it was 16 in WOL, with PP's addition only leaving out 15 remaining? The 30 ID slots (general files, not WOL specifically) obviously don't factor into this, regardless of the low likelihood of there being more newcomers with 8 alts.
The slots in WoL aren't based on alts, it seems, but separate character slots as a whole. The character slots include alts. The WoL slots are at 16 when you count out Plant and Joker, and the regular slots are 30. That makes 14 after them and 27 after Joker because of his apparent ponytail alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom