• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
I have mixed feelings on this because, while I love odd characters, a lot aren't competitively viable and Ultimate is especially guilty of this. I do agree that the novelty of Pirhana Plant has already worn off and we're stuck with a super gimmicky, subpar character though. At least it was free for a vast majority of us.
To KCCHEIF's point, I made a comment awhile back about the exact same thing. I mentioned how overwhelming the plant gang fanboys were at release, arguing tooth and nail about why it deserved the spot over the likes of Geno or Isaac or pretty much any other character you can name. Then fast forward a week. One. Week. The online usage of PP dropped through the floor and the competitive scene promptly threw it over their shoulders and forgot about it. Granted, PP is fun and its moveset is original, but the lack of practicality has left many of us wanting. I'll tell you one thing though, even if Geno were to sit at the bottom of every tier list in existence, if he got in, you could bet I'd still be playing him.

Last edited:

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
To KCCHEIF's point, I made a comment awhile back about the exact same thing. I mentioned how overwhelming the plant gang fanboys were at release, arguing tooth and nail about why it deserved the spot over the likes of Geno or Isaac or pretty much any other character you can name. Then fast forward a week. One. Week. The online usage of PP dropped through the floor and the competitive scene promptly threw it over their shoulders and forgot about it. Granted, PP is fun and its moveset is original, but the lack of practicality has left many of us wanting. I'll tell you one thing though, even if Geno were to sit at the bottom of every tier list in existence, if he got in, you could bet I'd still be playing him.
This is something that I've always been slightly worried about. I've been on the Geno for Smash train for 11 years now and I really don't know how I'd react if I didn't enjoy playing as him. If mods such as the one Geno mod for Project M are anything to go off of, I assume that the Smash team could make him a very fun character to play as.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's the thing, sometimes wanting is better than having. not wanting to be harsh here, but it's the truth.

So you finally get what you want, and then what? Asking for a SMRPG remake, a sequel? When the devs making Mario RPGs either lost their touch or are getting a burn-out. Maybe sports/party/puzzle spin-off appearances, I guess. Not much of a future for Geno otherwise. :ultfalcon:

At least the Isaac fans have an actual objective besides wanting their character, the revival of a cult series.

Also, sometimes it feels that PP is in here simply because the Mario devs would frown down upon the Smash staff if they didn't also have a really odd playable Mario character this year like for Tennis Aces and Super Mario Party.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's the thing, sometimes wanting is better than having. not wanting to be harsh here, but it's the truth.

So you finally get what you want, and then what? Asking for a SMRPG remake, a sequel? When the devs making Mario RPGs either lost their touch or are getting a burn-out. Maybe sports/party/puzzle spin-off appearances, I guess.

At least the Isaac fans have an actual objective besides wanting their character, the revival of a cult series.
If the devs can pick up the pace again, yeah, definitely. Otherwise, spin-off stuff alone is already enough to make me happy. These characters deserve that, and if Square never left Nintendo, who knows if this would have actually been something that's been happening for years? We know how restrictive Nintendo is about Mario RPG characters, but what if Square staying and keeping up any potential plans with Geno and Mallow changed things, butterfly effect and all?

Firox

Smash Master
As an Isaac fan, I still can't believe that they left us hanging with that last Golden Sun game. C'mon, guys! Give us some freaking closure here! Finish off the series at least before you just walk away. Or sell the franchise to someone who can.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

So you finally get what you want, and then what? Asking for a SMRPG remake, a sequel? When the devs making Mario RPGs either lost their touch or are getting a burn-out. Maybe sports/party/puzzle spin-off appearances, I guess. Not much of a future for Geno otherwise. :ultfalcon:

Also, sometimes it feels that PP is in here simply because the Mario devs would frown down upon the Smash staff if they didn't also have a really odd playable Mario character this year like for Tennis Aces and Super Mario Party.
Revivals/Remakes are a bit tricky. Some nail it like Crash Bandicoot and FR/LG, but sometimes they fall short. It's tricky, but I have faith in Nintendo when it comes to remakes.

As far as I go with me being one of the bigger Mother fans in this thread, I don't even really want a new game. Honestly all I want is as far as game is a Mother 3 localization and Mother 1 remade. Of course I still want Ninten and Claus in Smash because who doesn't want their fave characters in? But as far as games go, that's all I personally would like to see happen.

Man though, if we get a remake of SMRPG? That'd be amazing and would be an instant buy from me.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’ve said before , if geno got in but I absolutely couldn’t stand his moveset, I’d still be ecstatic. I’d still try to force myself to use him, but even if I just couldn’t, much like shulk in 4, I’d just be thrilled that he finally got in.

There’s quite a few characters in ultimate who I just couldn’t enjoy playing, but I’m still happy they got in and they’re ones I really wanted like ridley, k. Rool, simon, and inkling.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
You know what really puts the misery of being a Geno smash supporter for the past 12-13 years into perspective?

Back during the Brawl speculation days, he was a top 5 most requested character. The series has added over 40 newcomers since those days and he still hasn't been added despite always remaining up there at the top of requests. Isaac was borderline top 5 back then too, and he's the only character I've ever truly supported other than Geno.

If you told me in 2006-2007 that Geno (or Isaac) wasn't going to be in the next 40 newcomers added I don't think I'd believe you, even taking into account new franchises being created.

Hell, it even took two other top 5 characters from back then (K. Rool and Ridley) about 40 newcomers to get added themselves. It seems they're just now finally getting around to adding who the fans have been asking for. This actually makes me feel pretty optimistic about Geno's chances. No idea if he'd come in this first DLC pack, but I can't imagine him just not being added.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Not to speak for others but I think the broader long-term idea of Geno in smash other than he'd be a great fit for the game is that it'd achieve new interest in the character and possibly open the doors for things like rpg appearances, and spin-off stuff like the sports titles and whatnot. As a fan of Geno the character I just want to see him in more stuff. As a fan of SMRPG I want to see all of those characters pop up in other things. Also just because the RPG devs have lost touch now doesn't mean they won't course correct in the future.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not to speak for others but I think the broader long-term idea of Geno in smash other than he'd be a great fit for the game is that it'd achieve new interest in the character and possibly open the doors for things like rpg appearances, and spin-off stuff like the sports titles and whatnot. As a fan of Geno the character I just want to see him in more stuff. As a fan of SMRPG I want to see all of those characters pop up in other things.
Not sure about Hinopio, but Boshi could have a future. At least to add a new bad guy to the Yoshi games to shake up the setup of the usual adversaries Kamek and Baby Bowser.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Problem with people in 2019 in a nutshell. No one can enjoy anything without moving onto the next thing.

I for one will have a smash bros game where I can play as Geno for the rest of my life and that's more than enough for me.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Problem with people in 2019 in a nutshell. No one can enjoy anything without moving onto the next thing.

I for one will have a smash bros game where I can play as Geno for the rest of my life and that's more than enough for me.
Reminds me of how everyone gave up on Masked Man support because the overall consensus is that Porky is most likely to a majority of the fandom.

That doesn't sit right with me honestly. Support who you truly like. Not who the fandom thinks is the most likely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reminds me of how everyone gave up on Masked Man support because the overall consensus is that Porky is most likely to a majority of the fandom.

That doesn't sit right with me honestly. Support who you truly like. Not who the fandom thinks is the most likely.
I know, right? Now I can't openly hope for Claus anymore, just because "he's not a recurring character". It's a wonder the Porky fans haven't declared war on the Ninten ones (at least not here, I don't doubt that this must have happened somewhere).

Heck, I don't think anyone else from Mother got support anymore since the updated FS for Ness and Lucas were shown off.

On a side note, when are the character icon displays going to be fixed? People can't see who I'm supporting at the moment.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I know, right? Now I can't openly hope for Claus anymore, just because "he's not a recurring character". It's a wonder the Porky fans haven't declared war on the Ninten ones (at least not here, I don't doubt that this must have happened somewhere).

Heck, I don't think anyone else from Mother got support anymore since the updated FS for Ness and Lucas were shown off.
The recurring character rule is already BS since Lucas is in. Man when will people stop making up fan rules? All it does is gatekeep discussion and keep this toxic btfo chan culture alive.

Man I really hope a Porky/Ninten war doesn't happen on here. The last thing I want is more infighting in the Mother fandom.

Being a Mother fan and a Geno fan can be tiring. but no one's gonna stop me from hoping for my boys even if it's "u n r e a l i s t i c."

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

I feel you on this. Mother will always be my favorite game series of all time, and while I am personally fine with any character from the series being a newcomer, it kinda sucks that people only flock to the popular picks instead of talking about the less popular picks. I would love to see more people talking about Duster, but that just ain't happening unfortunately.

Same with Conker and Banjo. Banjo is the most popular Rare pick, so everyone is going to flock to him. I find this odd because it's not like Conker has no fans or anything, yet his support is barely being kept alive by myself and a few others. I am also supporting Banjo, but is there really hundreds of Banjo fans on this site and like 3-4 Conker fans? Lol.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I feel you on this. Mother will always be my favorite game series of all time, and while I am personally fine with any character from the series being a newcomer, it kinda sucks that people only flock to the popular picks instead of talking about the less popular picks. I would love to see more people talking about Duster, but that just ain't happening unfortunately.

Same with Conker and Banjo. Banjo is the most popular Rare pick, so everyone is going to flock to him. I find this odd because it's not like Conker has no fans or anything, yet his support is barely being kept alive by myself and a few others. I am also supporting Banjo, but is there really hundreds of Banjo fans on this site and like 3-4 Conker fans? Lol.
So what your saying I helped revive Ninten interest?

Also Duster should have at least been an Assist Trophy in my opinion. I just really wanted to see how Sakurai would render him in 3D since Kumatora looks amazing.

Only reason I wanted Banjo over Conker is because I've yet to play Conker. I was thinking of buying the N64 cart at the con I was at last weekend but I saw the 70 dollar pricetag and went.

1554320321567.png

D

Deleted member

Did someone say Duster? Yeah I would love to see more people talk about the less popular Mother Characters like Duster cause it's a shame that he's so overlooked when he could bring a unique playstyle in terms of Mother Reps with him not having any PSI powers but instead using Thief Tools and all that stuff, It's a shame he's overlooked.

Also Duster should have at least been an Assist Trophy in my opinion. I just really wanted to see how Sakurai would render him in 3D since Kumatora looks amazing.

Only reason I wanted Banjo over Conker is because I've yet to play Conker. I was thinking of buying the N64 cart at the con I was at last weekend but I saw the 70 dollar pricetag and went.

View attachment 204297
I agree Duster should've been an Assist Trophy at the very least cause I think he deserves that much and it would've been amazing to see my dude in HD. As I said it's such a shame he's overlooked in terms of being playable and even being an Assist Trophy I would've been happy with that much at least.

Duster is my Favorite Mother Character so I would've at least liked to see him get in as an Assist Trophy since he'll likely never be playable.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 204297
$70 for Conker's Bad Fur Day? That's a legit steal. Most copies go for $100+ these days.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
This is why I'm selective with my impulse buys these days.

Hopefully you didn't grab Chester Cheetah games or something like that.
Nah, mostly cursed acrylic charms and an ida bag to show off said cursed acrylic charms.

OH MAN I JUST REMEMBERED. I got a set of cards that have every current Smash character in Ultimate featured on them. The art is amazing and the fact they did all 70+ is awesome and I have a lot of respect for the artist.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Implying Olimar isn't hype, lol
Y-yeah, who would ever w-want Olimar and Shulk as their most wanted...t-that's just plain silly. No one wo-would ever want them...*cough*
(I actually had Olimar and Shulk among my most wanted for both games, too; I was just speaking in terms of general appeal. I feel you guys.)

Firox

Smash Master
Nah, mostly cursed acrylic charms and an ida bag to show off said cursed acrylic charms.

OH MAN I JUST REMEMBERED. I got a set of cards that have every current Smash character in Ultimate featured on them. The art is amazing and the fact they did all 70+ is awesome and I have a lot of respect for the artist.
Where'd you find the cards? I might interested in an impulse buy...

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This is something that I've always been slightly worried about. I've been on the Geno for Smash train for 11 years now and I really don't know how I'd react if I didn't enjoy playing as him. If mods such as the one Geno mod for Project M are anything to go off of, I assume that the Smash team could make him a very fun character to play as.
I feel you. I've been on the train for 11 years as well, but someone brought it up on here one time about playing as Geno in Crusade; they said he eventually got boring. The problem is it's a fan-made game, it's not well-made compared to Project M, Legacy XP, or an official Smash game. Legacy XP has one of the best Geno mods I've ever seen, and almost every YouTuber who plays Legacy XP says Geno's very fun to play as.
I agree, even if Geno was somehow low-tier, I'd still play as him and show those "so-called" tier lists who's boss.
Any character is good, as long as you KNOW how to play them.

I doubt Geno would even be low-tier because he would be in as a DLC character, and Smash 4's DLC characters were really overpowered. And a character Sakurai has been trying to get in his series for over a decade now, do you really think he'd make him boring? Think about it.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This is the exact situation the K. Rool fans are in. Although granted it usually happens to heavyweights anyway, but still, they got him, darn it.
I was also in that situation. King K. Rool doesn't suck, he's got one of the most unique, if not, most powerful movesets in the game.

Off-topic: It's weird seeing you with a profile picture now, even when you had Reggie as yours. I guess I'm used to seeing "K" as your profile picture. lol

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if Geno wouldn't be considered good or top tier. I rarely play in a competitive setting, so I tend to just play characters I enjoy. I would learn to play as Geno or Isaac simply because they are what I've wanted, regardless of how "good" they would be considered.

D

Deleted member

It's funny, i think that if the Final Ultiamte Pre-release Direct had ended with Just Inci and Ken i probably would have been WAY less dissapointed. Yeah, not a fan of PP in the slightlest if you can't tell.

.....and im not a fan of the Joker either, i wasn't expecting jack (heh) all when it came to VGA (and quite frankly, i wasn't going to stay up until 3 AM in the morning for a crappy event that may or may not reveal a Smash Character that i may or may not care about) but i'll be honest, i think i would have also could have done without it either, not a fan of Persona at all.

Hey have i been put into the supporter list yet? No? Well Sing me up Booooooooiiiiiiiiiz.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I never got all the backlash around how competitively viable certain characters were or not for most fans. I feel like the majority of people aren't good enough players for those sorts of differences in viability to actively effect them. I mean no offense to anyone when I say that and I know some people here are more competitively inclined, so they are affected by those issues.

But really, for a lot of people, just playing their character and understanding them will be fun and allow them to succeed. There are exceptions :ganondorf: of course, but with Ultimate in particular, it seems like the balance has been fundamentally well done and characters don't particularly stand out as terrible/amazing right now. I would expect that to continue moving forward for DLC. I don't think we'll get another Bayonetta and Cloud situation after how much backlash that seemed to have received. If you're a fan of the character and their play style, there's no reason not to play them. The vast majority of people again are probably going to be best served working with a character they enjoy and getting better with them than trying to play the most competitively viable choices.

I don't think the positions of King K. Rool, Ridley, or Piranha Plant are indicative of the lack of hype surrounding them or the whole "Reality is often disappointing" aspect of seeing characters realized. I think it has more to do the fact that fans tend to take their satisfaction and go, complainers find new ammunition to fight against a pick they can't change, and most people just move on to the next thing as we're apt to do as human beings. Sure, Plant's a gimmick and doesn't seem great, but he's a worthwhile addition because he's hilarious and unique.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
But really, for a lot of people, just playing their character and understanding them will be fun and allow them to succeed. There are exceptions :ganondorf: of course, but with Ultimate in particular, it seems like the balance has been fundamentally well done and characters don't particularly stand out as terrible/amazing right now. I would expect that to continue moving forward for DLC. I don't think we'll get another Bayonetta and Cloud situation after how much backlash that seemed to have received.
Plus, considering how on the ball the Smash team seems to be when it comes to balancing, even if a situation like that did arise, they'd probably be on top of it quick. They've been doing a stellar job, in my opinion. No one is broken or overpowered in all of this, for the most part. Some are a bit nuts with their hitboxes, but... I frankly think they're doing an awesome job.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Plus, considering how on the ball the Smash team seems to be when it comes to balancing, even if a situation like that did arise, they'd probably be on top of it quick. They've been doing a stellar job, in my opinion. No one is broken or overpowered in all of this, for the most part. Some are a bit nuts with their hitboxes, but... I frankly think they're doing an awesome job.
Yeah, I know it's still relatively early on, but I love how we've managed to avoid having some sort of clear best character emerge in the past five months. I know a couple have gotten some rough early tier list placements and Little Mac is just super problematic by design, but I feel really good about balance in Ultimate from my casual perspective haha.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, the one good thing to come out of Geno's chances being particularly poor is that, if he doesn't make the boat this time, I really think this'll end up being the last straw. I'm seeing a lot more support, fan art, fan content, and love for Geno lately, plus with Operation Starfall on the rise... I really think that Geno's (and Mallow's and SMRPG's as a whole) fans will be making a lot of noise. Of course, negative noise like spamming phone calls and death threats to Nintendo, Square, and Sakurai is the kind of noise I do NOT want to see, but peaceful, positive protesting will likely happen. In fact, it already has with the high likelihood of Erdrick on the horizon. I've seen people revolting all over the place. (Not saying Erdrick and his fans deserve that, but I can understand it, too, given it destroys Geno's Fighter's Pass chances.)

It's a silver lining, really. After this, I think people are going to be fed up in a more proactive way. I predict... interesting things on the horizon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I've been doubting that even he will show up at this stage, especially considering how weird the process of elimination has been in regards to the Brave codename, and Tansut apparently not bothering with hints.

By the end of it, he may be a boogeyman that never really was there.
Like Konrad.

Would be nice to know if Joker's arrival leads to that elusive second character's reveal...

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, I've been doubting that even he will show up at this stage, especially considering how weird the process of elimination has been in regards to the Brave codename, and Tansut apparently not bothering with hints.

By the end of it, he may be a boogeyman that never really was there.
Like Konrad.

Would be nice to know if Joker's arrival leads to that elusive second character's reveal...
Honestly, his situation would more remind me of the Chorus Kids if that ends up being the case. That would end up being crazy if that happens.

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
I highly doubt that Geno would ever make it into smash because of how Square Enix handled Cloud. Despite this, I think he would be a great and highly unique addition to the roster with so much potential for unique moves, as shown in his Legacy XP rendition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom