• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I highly doubt that Geno would ever make it into smash because of how Square Enix handled Cloud. Despite this, I think he would be a great and highly unique addition to the roster with so much potential for unique moves, as shown in his Legacy XP rendition.
Yeah, the fact that datamines prove that he was the last addition and Sakurai having to 'twist some arms' makes it pretty obvious that getting Cloud back was a very rough endeavor. Geno getting in would be extremely difficult because of the circumstances now, I think, unless Square is way more lax with him. They managed to get Geno's and Mallow's spirits in, after all, and they weren't last minute additions like Cloud himself. It still amazes me that they even did that, and it makes me think they'll want to profit off of them if they have to be in the base game without anything else. They have Geno's rights, so they can make good use of that. It's just a matter of Square says yes, which is... far easier said than done, haha...

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Yeah, the fact that datamines prove that he was the last addition and Sakurai having to 'twist some arms' makes it pretty obvious that getting Cloud back was a very rough endeavor. Geno getting in would be extremely difficult because of the circumstances now, I think, unless Square is way more lax with him. They managed to get Geno's and Mallow's spirits in, after all, and they weren't last minute additions like Cloud himself. It still amazes me that they even did that, and it makes me think they'll want to profit off of them if they have to be in the base game without anything else. They have Geno's rights, so they can make good use of that. It's just a matter of Square says yes, which is... far easier said than done, haha...
Personally, I think it's also telling that of all the SE properties in Ultimate (of which there are eight: Cloud, Midgar, 2 Songs, 2 non-Cloud spirits, and 2 Palutena Guidance name drops), and of all the properties they could've added (which are endless in number), the only additions they opted for were SMRPG name drops and spirits. Seriously, of all the things Square got in Ultimate that weren't in Sm4sh, it was Geno spirit, Mallow spirit, and the Piranha Plant name references from SMRPG.

I honestly think that's worth something.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hold up. When did a datamine happen that revealed Cloud as the last character. This is the first I’m hearing of this.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hold up. When did a datamine happen that revealed Cloud as the last character. This is the first I’m hearing of this.
Of all of the characters listed with their IDs and index numbers, Cloud was the last in the list. I think the source was _Mizumi, though, and... they've since deleted after some Bad Things™ happened.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly, I've been doubting that even he will show up at this stage, especially considering how weird the process of elimination has been in regards to the Brave codename, and Tansut apparently not bothering with hints.

By the end of it, he may be a boogeyman that never really was there.
Like Konrad.

Would be nice to know if Joker's arrival leads to that elusive second character's reveal...
Nice reference right there.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I have a random question. Would any of you say that the EarthBound series is still obscure? With all of the virtual console releases, and the SNES classic, on top of a ton of Smash representation, I'd say it's definitely not as obscure as some other franchises.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I have a random question. Would any of you say that the EarthBound series is still obscure? With all of the virtual console releases, and the SNES classic, on top of a ton of Smash representation, I'd say it's definitely not as obscure as some other franchises.
Eh... next to some of the other franchises in Smash (many of which are absolute giants recognized by everyone and their dog's cat), maybe, but in the general gaming sphere? Nah. Odds are wherever you are, if you're a gaming fan, you know Earthbound at this point, even if you haven't touched the series.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
No way, Mother is very known and miles away from being obscure. I think obscure games are underrated games that come from out of the blue or involve a character(s) from a TV show or movie. Nobody's probably never even heard of these, except for maybe like one, but a few obscure games would be: Ghosthunter, Ardy Lightfoot, PK Out of the Shadows, Tak and the Power of Juju, Mario Teaches Typing, Finding Nemo (the game), etc.

Okay, THQ makes some of the weirdest ****. It really surprises me when people call Super Mario RPG "obscure", especially since some/most of those six I mentioned up above haven't even been heard of by many, and I completely forgot they even existed.

About every Nintendo game that was developed by them and/or their subsidiaries is not obscure, considering that Nintendo is one of the most known gaming companies to this day. The Smash series also introduced people into Nintendo's other gaming franchises, including third-party franchises, and in this case it was able to get the Mother series to be recognized.

Think about it this way: If the Mother series was somehow obscure, I don't think EarthBound would be on the SNES Classic. I believe any Nintendo series that's recognized by Nintendo in any shape or form is not obscure.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Of all of the characters listed with their IDs and index numbers, Cloud was the last in the list. I think the source was _Mizumi, though, and... they've since deleted after some Bad Things™ happened.
This seems like an appropriate time to summon PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON .

No way, Mother is very known and miles away from being obscure. I think obscure games are underrated games that come from out of the blue or involve a character(s) from a TV show or movie. Nobody's probably never even heard of these, except for maybe like one, but a few obscure games would be: Ghosthunter, Ardy Lightfoot, PK Out of the Shadows, Tak and the Power of Juju, Mario Teaches Typing, Finding Nemo (the game), etc.

Okay, THQ makes some of the weirdest ****. It really surprises me when people call Super Mario RPG "obscure", especially since some/most of those six I mentioned up above haven't even been heard of by many, and I completely forgot they even existed.

About every Nintendo game that was developed by them and/or their subsidiaries is not obscure, considering that Nintendo is one of the most known gaming companies to this day. The Smash series also introduced people into Nintendo's other gaming franchises, including third-party franchises, and in this case it was able to get the Mother series to be recognized.

Think about it this way: If the Mother series was somehow obscure, I don't think EarthBound would be on the SNES Classic. I believe any Nintendo series that's recognized by Nintendo in any shape or form is not obscure.
It should also be noted they were nice enough to list the second-party-developed Hamtaro games in the Brawl chronicle.

Last edited:

NerfOrNothiing

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't call Earthbound obscure as I've barely met anyone who hasn't at least heard of the game, but in terms of Smash I'd actually say its definitely one of the more obscure ones. Mainly considering most people just know Ness and Lucas as "the little kids" whenever brought up :p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I get how that could mean he was last to be added, but how does that definitively prove he was last to be added? In theory, couldn’t there be something in development that means he ends up the last number even if he’s not necessarily the final character added to Ultimate?

To be fair, again, I’m not super familiar with this datamine and I understand there’s a lot of smoke surrounding the Square Enix issue.

But I’m also hesitant for us to say any narrative about Square until Sakurai comments upon it.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Eh... next to some of the other franchises in Smash (many of which are absolute giants recognized by everyone and their dog's cat), maybe, but in the general gaming sphere? Nah. Odds are wherever you are, if you're a gaming fan, you know Earthbound at this point, even if you haven't touched the series.

Bless you guys for posting this.

I wouldn't call Earthbound obscure as I've barely met anyone who hasn't at least heard of the game, but in terms of Smash I'd actually say its definitely one of the more obscure ones. Mainly considering most people just know Ness and Lucas as "the little kids" whenever brought up :p
Also I really wanted to say that I adore your pfp.

D

Deleted member

What if Geno was a nutcracker instead of a puppet?

He has the mouth of one for me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What if Geno was a nutcracker instead of a puppet?

He has the mouth of one for me.
I don't think he has that function as a toy, but he does kinda have a nutcracker mouth. A Geno nutcracker would be pretty cool though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I get how that could mean he was last to be added, but how does that definitively prove he was last to be added? In theory, couldn’t there be something in development that means he ends up the last number even if he’s not necessarily the final character added to Ultimate?

To be fair, again, I’m not super familiar with this datamine and I understand there’s a lot of smoke surrounding the Square Enix issue.

But I’m also hesitant for us to say any narrative about Square until Sakurai comments upon it.
It's not definitive, no, but all things considered, I'm willing to believe it. Cloud being pushed to be DLC again and being missing from WoL are totally false rumors. This, however, does have more water to it. After all, I can't really fathom how he, a Smash 4-ported character, would come last after brand-new newcomers like Incineroar and King K. Rool. Isn't that a little odd? Along with that, of the many characters featured in the WoL opening, we have many of the newcomers, yet Cloud is not present, which is also a little telling to me.

Yeah, nothing is for sure, but... considering Square's track record, I really wouldn't be surprised if Cloud was as last minute an addition as it seems. Sonic was in Brawl, after all, and his data in-game held much the same evidence. There could always be more to it, but the picture we've got isn't a very pretty one, so far.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Along with that, of the many characters featured in the WoL opening, we have many of the newcomers, yet Cloud is not present, which is also a little telling to me.
Agreed with your other points but this doesn't say much. That cutscene was missing a lot of characters, including :ultpacman::ultryu: and even :ultpeach:.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Agreed with your other points but this doesn't say much. That cutscene was missing a lot of characters, including :ultpacman::ultryu: and even :ultpeach:.
Ooh, okay, fair enough. That point's totally moot then. Everything else still makes me lift a brow, though, especially considering Square's usual practices. Thanks for clarifying!

Firox

Smash Master
I know some of you have touched on this already, but seriously, why the hell is Square Enix so stingy with their IPs? Pretty much every developer in existence would wet themselves with joy to see their creations up there beside the likes of Mario, Sonic, Snake, Megaman and Ryu. I mean, Smash has been one of the most influential franchises in gaming history! They westernized Fire Emblem for goodness sake! They singled-handedly resurrected Kid Icarus, not to mention keeping dead franchises alive with Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers and Little Mac. All it takes is one smash bros appearance and suddenly an obscure IP can gain instant celebrity...forever. Fans will plead for their inclusion in all future iterations until the end of time no matter how campy or bland you think they might be.

Then we have Square Enix. Oh hey, Nintendo, we're holding onto a character from an old collaboration. There's absolutely no reason I can fathom why not to just hand him over and rake in the cash, not only for his DLC but for the legendary and impending sequel that would be sure to follow, but whatevs. Oh, you want Cloud? I don't know...are you MAN enough to handle Cloud? Maybe with enough afterwork incentives and a signed blood contract I could lend him to you with say...two music tracks? We're just baller like that. Oh and if you want Sephiroth, we're gonna need a first-born child....

D

Deleted member

Even if Cloud came without many tunes or even spirits, I am still glad to see him again in Smash the way he is.

Outside of being one of the most popular characters on the videogame industry, I enjoy the moveset he has, the gimmicks of Midgar, his animations and the details of every alt he has.

If Cloud doesn’t return in the next game, even if I can understand why and accept the idea, I would probably come back to Ultimate many times just to keep playing as him and other characters who could also be out.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I know some of you have touched on this already, but seriously, why the hell is Square Enix so stingy with their IPs? Pretty much every developer in existence would wet themselves with joy to see their creations up there beside the likes of Mario, Sonic, Snake, Megaman and Ryu. I mean, Smash has been one of the most influential franchises in gaming history! They westernized Fire Emblem for goodness sake! They singled-handedly resurrected Kid Icarus, not to mention keeping dead franchises alive with Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers and Little Mac. All it takes is one smash bros appearance and suddenly an obscure IP can gain instant celebrity...forever. Fans will plead for their inclusion in all future iterations until the end of time no matter how campy or bland you think they might be.

Then we have Square Enix. Oh hey, Nintendo, we're holding onto a character from an old collaboration. There's absolutely no reason I can fathom why not to just hand him over and rake in the cash, not only for his DLC but for the legendary and impending sequel that would be sure to follow, but whatevs. Oh, you want Cloud? I don't know...are you MAN enough to handle Cloud? Maybe with enough afterwork incentives and a signed blood contract I could lend him to you with say...two music tracks? We're just baller like that. Oh and if you want Sephiroth, we're gonna need a first-born child....
because they're a bunch of squares :4pacman:

Firox

Smash Master
Even if Cloud came without many tunes or even spirits, I am still glad to see him again in Smash the way he is.

Outside of being one of the most popular characters on the videogame industry, I enjoy the moveset he has, the gimmicks of Midgar, his animations and the details of every alt he has.

If Cloud doesn’t return in the next game, even if I can understand why and accept the idea, I would probably come back to Ultimate many times just to keep playing as him and other characters who could also be out.
Agreed. I have to say, of Smash 4, Cloud was definitely my most hyped character. Never in my life had a reveal made my jaw hit the floor like that. Sadly, based on what Sakurai said about the difficulty of doing "Everyone is here", there's a good chance a lot of characters will get dropped in the next iteration. My hope is that Ultimate just gets patched and ported for the next decade. To be honest, the only thing I feel the franchise has left to improve are more characters and stages anyway.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

To be fair, Square Enix doesn't fully own every part of FF7, that's likely why we couldn't get any Spirit artwork or more than two tracks. They were okay with lending Chocobos, Geno, Mallow and Midgard summons after all.

I also won't think they are being unnecessarily mean for the sake of it, but that's just me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
To be fair, Square Enix doesn't fully own every part of FF7, that's likely why we couldn't get any Spirit artwork or more than two tracks. They were okay with lending Chocobos, Geno, Mallow and Midgard summons after all.

I also won't think they are being unnecessarily mean for the sake of it, but that's just me.
This is largely my viewpoint on it. I think Square’s got a LOT of legal baggage that makes the issue of content a lot more complicated than a lot of us even know. I don’t doubt that there protective of their IP, but it also seems like a lot of hands are in the pot and especially with regards to music that makes things more expensive.

I always saw Cloud and Midgar as the compromise for those issues. It’s not worth the effort of dealing with the rights and paying for all of the specific side pieces of content, just go for what actually matters in game with the character and stage.

I can’t say that I particularly give a **** if Square has Spirits in the game or not and I’d rather have what we’ve gotten than nothing. I’m always seriously shocked when people say they’d rather have nothing than poor representation of FF. I just cannot understand that mindset.

Same would go for any character in game. Hell, during base game speculation I thought it was possible but we’d get Geno without his own stage and that would be it. And honestly, whatever it takes to get a character in the game. I don’t need the stage, I don’t need the music, I don’t need the spirits. I want the playable character. Everything else is extra stuff that does enhance a representation and can show off cool extra stuff, but the character is at the heart of a representation. I have no issue with limited other stuff. Then again, I love ROB and he’s the only one just without a stage, soo....

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Same would go for any character in game. Hell, during base game speculation I thought it was possible but we’d get Geno without his own stage and that would be it. And honestly, whatever it takes to get a character in the game. I don’t need the stage, I don’t need the music, I don’t need the spirits. I want the playable character. Everything else is extra stuff that does enhance a representation and can show off cool extra stuff, but the character is at the heart of a representation. I have no issue with limited other stuff. Then again, I love ROB and he’s the only one just without a stage, soo....
Honestly, that's what gives me hope that Geno has a better shot as a separate, stand-alone DLC character rather than a part of the Fighter's Pass. The Mario series has so many stages as is, so having Geno without a SMRPG stage would be perfectly fine. Maybe they can do that, add some non-remixed tracks from SMRPG (thanks to Yoko), and leave it at that. My hopes for him in the FP are shot, but if we get more than that, I think he still has a fair go.

D

Deleted member

A part of me feels that the remake may have a lot to do with it too. I'm pretty confident that we could have gotten actual non-fighter spirits and more tunes if 7R wasn't on its way. Maybe SE don't want to reveal too much or potentially spoil anything to those that may have never played the original. That's just my take though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A part of me feels that the remake may have a lot to do with it too. I'm pretty confident that we could have gotten actual non-fighter spirits and more tunes if 7R wasn't on its way. Maybe SE don't want to reveal too much or potentially spoil anything to those that may have never played the original. That's just my take though.
That certainly didnt stop Smash from trying to do that with what they got.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
The recurring character rule is already BS since Lucas is in. Man when will people stop making up fan rules? All it does is gatekeep discussion and keep this toxic btfo chan culture alive.

Man I really hope a Porky/Ninten war doesn't happen on here. The last thing I want is more infighting in the Mother fandom.

Being a Mother fan and a Geno fan can be tiring. but no one's gonna stop me from hoping for my boys even if it's "u n r e a l i s t i c."
As someone who loves the Mother series as a whole, but second most wanted is Porky (because I gave up on Marx ages ago, though am overjoyed that he is a boss), I dont want a "fan war" or whatever. I'd be happy for any Mother representation to be new to Smash Ultimate. This whole division business and "fan rules" and people just responding to your hopes with brain dead mantras of "NO GENO. HE IS SPIRIT" is really making me loathe this community. Aside from the folks in here, I've had mostly negative experiences with fellow smashers.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
As someone who loves the Mother series as a whole, but second most wanted is Porky (because I gave up on Marx ages ago, though am overjoyed that he is a boss), I dont want a "fan war" or whatever. I'd be happy for any Mother representation to be new to Smash Ultimate. This whole division business and "fan rules" and people just responding to your hopes with brain dead mantras of "NO GENO. HE IS SPIRIT" is really making me loathe this community. Aside from the folks in here, I've had mostly negative experiences with fellow smashers.
The majority of the Smash fandom is pretty godawful. I swear, I never remembered it ever getting this bad. I've literally seen Smash groups trying to word-for-word gatekeep their groups so they can keep 'Geno fan cancer' out. It's ****ing ridiculous. Boo hoo, I like a character you don't like! Grow up, children.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Once again, it seems like there is an unnecessary air of pesimism regarding Geno's chances in Ultimate. He's not a guarantee by any means, but his chances are far from dead at the moment. For the past few months, we've gone into extensive detail over the whole "brave" leaks and how the information from "insiders" kept contradicting the facts uncovered from the datamine. That, and there are still 4 unknown characters in the season pass plus the various Super Mario RPG nods in the game beyond the spirits. That, and the fact they got the rights to use Geno and Mallow at all tells me they could still be used again later in a bigger role. Remember that both Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in Smash 4, and would later become DLC. I'll say this once more, it's not over until it's over.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
The majority of the Smash fandom is pretty godawful. I swear, I never remembered it ever getting this bad. I've literally seen Smash groups trying to word-for-word gatekeep their groups so they can keep 'Geno fan cancer' out. It's ****ing ridiculous. Boo hoo, I like a character you don't like! Grow up, children.
Agreed, I've been in the smash community since N64 and have been faithful since. I've never seen it in such a toxic state.

There was guy in a YouTube comment section on I believe one of Papas videos, going to each person that said they still had hope for Geno or Shantae or Banjo and were tearing them to shreds. I told the guy to lighten up and give people the freedom to dream. He responds by telling me he's going to go out of his way to only target Geno people with extra vigor now.

I swear I cant for the life of me understand these hateful people.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Agreed, I've been in the smash community since N64 and have been faithful since. I've never seen it in such a toxic state.

There was guy in a YouTube comment section on I believe one of Papas videos, going to each person that said they still had hope for Geno or Shantae or Banjo and were tearing them to shreds. I told the guy to lighten up and give people the freedom to dream. He responds by telling me he's going to go out of his way to only target Geno people with extra vigor now.

Well, Youtube is kind of its own awful beast. The environment on there is terrible no matter where you go. I wouldn't take Youtube comments to begin with seriously.

Once again, it seems like there is an unnecessary air of pesimism regarding Geno's chances in Ultimate. He's not a guarantee by any means, but his chances are far from dead at the moment. For the past few months, we've gone into extensive detail over the whole "brave" leaks and how the information from "insiders" kept contradicting the facts uncovered from the datamine. That, and there are still 4 unknown characters in the season pass plus the various Super Mario RPG nods in the game beyond the spirits. That, and the fact they got the rights to use Geno and Mallow at all tells me they could still be used again later in a bigger role. Remember that both Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in Smash 4, and would later become DLC. I'll say this once more, it's not over until it's over.
I agree, but on the other hand, I'm preparing and steeling myself because I darn well don't want to get burned again. The last time I had high hopes and even certainty was over Shadow the Hedgehog's inclusion, and... well... we all know how horribly that went.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If there was such a rights hassle in getting more content from Final Fantasy in Ultimate, it'd make we wonder if they'd be willing to do that more times over for one measly (albeit very popular) character of Erdrick within the DLC.
Honestly, his situation would more remind me of the Chorus Kids if that ends up being the case. That would end up being crazy if that happens.
Someone should make some fanart if that happens, like CKs laughing alongside or going "Welcome to our world!"

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Couldn't have said it better myself. My small discord friend group as well as this thread and the Ninten thread are the only places I publically discuss Smash since everywhere else I'm afraid to even mention it without someone harassing me for something dumb. I love the artists in the Smash community since they make some good stuff and I love you folks here and in the Ninten thread, but as a whole, I really dislike this fandom. I don't remember it being nearly this bad during Smash 4's cycle.

I agree, but on the other hand, I'm preparing and steeling myself because I darn well don't want to get burned again. The last time I had high hopes and even certainty was over Shadow the Hedgehog's inclusion, and... well... we all know how horribly that went.
From the beginning I had this sneaking suspicion that Shadow was gonna end up being an Assist Trophy and man it really hurt to be right with how many wanted him... They should have shown him off with Zero or something.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but is today your birthday? Happy birthday duck friend!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Couldn't have said it better myself. My small discord friend group as well as this thread and the Ninten thread are the only places I publically discuss Smash since everywhere else I'm afraid to even mention it without someone harassing me for something dumb. I love the artists in the Smash community since they make some good stuff and I love you folks here and in the Ninten thread, but as a whole, I really dislike this fandom. I don't remember it being nearly this bad during Smash 4's cycle.

From the beginning I had this sneaking suspicion that Shadow was gonna end up being an Assist Trophy and man it really hurt to be right with how many wanted him... They should have shown him off with Zero or something.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but is today your birthday? Happy birthday duck friend!
Oh! Yeah, it is! The ripe old age of 27 today, h-haha... RIP. Thank you so much, Ani! :drflip:

All I want for my birthday is to be spammed with Genos. That's it. I just want to live under a mountain of Geno dolls. Very cozy.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, I turn 23 later this year so I'm not much younger heh...

Also I found a few Geno dolls on Etsy so.... First Geno spam of the day? :ness:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/667619...oll&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&organic_search_click=1
Ohhh, they have an amigurumi Geno doll, too! That's so cute!

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to make a perfect wooden replica of Geno. I know the AGDQ prize was a wooden doll and all, but it wasn't a perfect replication. Something extremely well-done and polished and on-model would be AMAZING and easily worth hundreds. I'd give my first born for it, and I don't even want kids, haha.

Firox

Smash Master

I'm right there with you. The internet itself seems to be flooded with those kinds of people. An interesting thought about human nature: Are we our truest selves when we act anonymously, or not? If we are, does that mean that the majority of the human race are actually loathsome, sensual, mean-spirited creatures that get off on the physical and/or emotional subjugation of others? My belief is that a truly good person is one that shows kindness and understanding regardless of anonymity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom