• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I'm from the Skull Kid thread mainly, and I just wanted to apologize for the vitriol we saw last night. Personally I'm indifferent to Geno, but I don't think there's any call for that kind of negativity. Everyone has their wants and the characters they really don't want, but we don't have to get mad about it.

I was a big Ridley supporter during Smash 4 speculation, so I understand the kind of opposition you can face when people think your character doesn't deserve to be in. Luckily we avoided that situation for him this time around, but there's still plenty of characters whose fans have been, and still will be, left out in the cold, and it definitely hurts.

For what it's worth, I believe Geno is getting in this time, and I'll be really happy for you guys if he does. I don't want a double reveal because I think it means neither character gets the spotlight they deserve, but that doesn't mean I hate Geno, and frankly I think most of the people there are open to his inclusion. There's just always opposition to any character.

Happy speculation, and may it pay off for you all!
Thank you for your kind words :) May it pay off for Skull Kid as well !
No matter what form their reveals will be, I would be so happy !

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Probably lederhosen which I'm sure is why he ditched them to begin with. If the Mii costume is any indication, they'll probably keep him pantless even if they update his design. Honestly, it's a great design as is and would be perfectly fine with just his textures being updated.
Nah, just the first thing kids lose when playing with their toys is the clothing.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It occurs to me that I have an SNES Classic, so there's nothing stopping me from playing SMRPG. I remember trying it a few years ago though, and I couldn't get into it, mainly due to the lack of feedback on when you're doing an attack right. I came from Paper Mario, where it's explicitly clear when you do it right and wrong. I'm gonna try to get back into the game, but I did want to ask, is the timing similar to Paper Mario?

EDIT: Alternatively, if I still can't get into the game this time, does anyone have a good recommendation for an LP to watch?

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
It occurs to me that I have an SNES Classic, so there's nothing stopping me from playing SMRPG. I remember trying it a few years ago though, and I couldn't get into it, mainly due to the lack of feedback on when you're doing an attack right. I came from Paper Mario, where it's explicitly clear when you do it right and wrong. I'm gonna try to get back into the game, but I did want to ask, is the timing similar to Paper Mario?

EDIT: Alternatively, if I still can't get into the game this time, does anyone have a good recommendation for an LP to watch?
there's Usually a alternate animation or sound when you do it right, for example, if you swing a hammer with Mario, if you do it right he swings twice, generally just kinda experiment a little with it, the game is suuuper easy so there's nothing on the line

I thought there was some sort of Geno/Skull Kid alliance?

I couldn't find any slanderous language in the OP of the skull kid thread. What exactly did he say?
Some (including me) were daydreaming about a common reveal trailer for Skull Kid and Geno in some kind of blend of Forest Maze / Lost Woods.

The idea was build around the fact that were both 'puppets' (literally for Geno, figuratively for Skull kid) ...

... and this great image photoshoped by Nazyrus

Any thougths on a common reveal trailer? Do you think it would undermine or multiply the hype?

(I know about AnOkayDM AnOkayDM ' opinion on the subject just wanted to have some from the Geno supporters)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Some (including me) were daydreaming about a common reveal trailer for Skull Kid and Geno in some kind of blend of Forest Maze / Lost Woods.

The idea was build around the fact that were both 'puppets' (literally for Geno, figuratively for Skull kid) ...

Any thougths on a common reveal trailer? Do you think it would undermine or multiply the hype?

(I know about AnOkayDM AnOkayDM ' opinion on the subject just wanted to have some from the Geno supporters)
While I don't think that sort of trailer would happen, I still think it would be hype. The team knows how to make trailers, and seeing any animated fight, even if it's for a bit, is always cool to see. It helps that there is a lot of theme's shared between them and they could easily be foils to each other.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons

I'd Love it personally, as i've never really heard of many good ideas for a standalone Skull kid or Geno Trailer, as Skull Kids idea usally feel too slow of a pace and try fitting so much in that it doesn't really feel like a Smash trailer, while Geno has barely much to work of for a trailer IMO

I'd Love it personally, as i've never really heard of many good ideas for a standalone Skull kid or Geno Trailer, as Skull Kids idea usally feel too slow of a pace and try fitting so much in that it doesn't really feel like a Smash trailer, while Geno has barely much to work of for a trailer IMO
I was thinking the same thing, i think both characters could benefit from a common reveal. They're would be much more material to work with and therefore a more epic trailer. That's just my opinion.

Btw, could the Eternal Will of The Swarm add me to the supporters list? Been a fan of Geno since forever, recently i've come to realise that he could very well make it this time.

Plus the saltiness against Geno makes me want to support him even more :)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I just checked too, because I was extremely curious, lol. I was surprised to find that he actually has a render. They made one for just about everyone...
The mushroom kid who is a girl is that one with the green hat in the Mushroom Kingdom, usually seen running in circles as if hopped-up on candy. If I remember right, she wanted to grow up to marry Mario (good luck with that).

there's Usually a alternate animation or sound when you do it right, for example, if you swing a hammer with Mario, if you do it right he swings twice, generally just kinda experiment a little with it, the game is suuuper easy so there's nothing on the line
Plus Toad tells you how to do Timed Hits, unless you're the kind of person who ignores tutorials and just wants to scare the Goombas off (and say bye bye to free EXP).

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman

Honestly, it feels like it would fit so well if this duo reveal trailer happened. I mean, imagine !

Young Link is going through the woods at night, the moon shining through the trees. He walks in a guarded manner, because someone is following him not far behind. Shot from the back as Young Link goes deeper into the forest and the two fairies from Skull Kid nearby a dark floating figure, showing from the knees down to his shoes. Cue a few more moments of Young Link walking around then he turns back.... Slowly.... His eyes widen, his gaze trails from SK's shoes to his masked face, while the fairies twirls around Skull Kid. As soon as the gaze lands on the mask, slow maniac laughter then boom, he attacks. Cue Gameplay. After that, it shoots back to Young Link falling on the ground after a short fight, he seems to be losing. The Skull Kid grows closer and YL closes his eyes, waiting for the terrible fate to happen. Then a weird frisbee made of light cuts through the darkness and lands on Skull Kid, who is pushed back from the blow.
Young Link opens his eyes and looks around, another dark figure walks up towards YL. He stands in between the two, the moon shines at the new angle, allowing to see that it was Geno who saved him. Skull Kid is not happy he interfered and goes to attack Geno who gets his gun ready to fire. Cue another gameplay sequence and done. Maybe one last cinematic where Geno is also in trouble and Young Link has gotten up and is ready to defeat Skull Kid and help his savior. All three jump toward each other and it ends there.

If that doesn't make you hyped, I dunno what will.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think there is going to be any multiple characters in a reveal trailer except for the example of something similar to Simon and Richter. I could be wrong. But if ANY character is going to be in the Geno reveal it'd probably be Mallow or nothing.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
i think the only factor that can make a multiple reveal trailer possible is the rather limited time they have to show everyone, lets say we have 4 characters and 3 echoes (which seems reasonable to me), the next direct is most likley going to be a general nintendo direct and i don't think we have ever gotten one direct that has shown 2 trailers, it seems something like that would just take time away from other games, so i'd think it would be smart to batch 2 of those newcomers up to one trailer at least and maybe put a echo drop in the middle while talking about a related game, lets say they talk about new Animal Crossing content and they lightly drop that isabelle is a echo fighter in smash or something, i dunno just my thought

domriver

Smash Lord
I was just in the General Discussion thread and Dante is the topic right now. Now the leaker that said Dante will be in smash got some things right regarding DMC for that gaming event. Gamescon? Anyways assuming Dante is in this game. Would it damage Geno's chances? I don't know to be honest how i would react to this. Dante I have no qualms with. More unique characters the better. Having him Ultimate for some reason like "takes" a spot from the characters that we have requested. I don't know thoughts people? It could very well be wrong but just wondering how you people felt about this? Gamescon is happening now till the 25th.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I was just in the General Discussion thread and Dante is the topic right now. Now the leaker that said Dante will be in smash got some things right regarding DMC for that gaming event. Gamescon? Anyways assuming Dante is in this game. Would it damage Geno's chances? I don't know to be honest how i would react to this. Dante I have no qualms with. More unique characters the better. Having him Ultimate for some reason like "takes" a spot from the characters that we have requested. I don't know thoughts people? It could very well be wrong but just wondering how you people felt about this? Gamescon is happening now till the 25th.
I don't think it would hurt Geno's chances. Dante would be a Capcom rep.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Whole Dante thing seems like ether a assist trophy or just something to mess with people really, seems so out of the blue, plus i mean Verg did recently say Ken is in the game so that be like four capcom characters?, perhaps Dante is a assist trophy and Ken is shown as a new echo at gamescom?

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
on the note of effecting Geno, i suppose this could raise the chance to get 2 unique square characters, like Slime and Geno at once... suppose that is probably a more agreeable deal for square

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'm honestly kinda surprised we don't have a Monster Hunter rep really.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Dante? Has he, or the Devil May Cry series ever been on a Nintendo System? If not, why would that even be a consideration?

Regardless, an autumn time direct would be nice to showcase Skull Kid and/or Geno. Time will tell.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'm honestly kinda surprised we don't have a Monster Hunter rep really.
Eh, makes sense to me. The most iconic part of Monster Hunter (And really, like 90% of the gameplay) is the boss battle-esque monsters, so the best way to represent the series should be a boss fight. This is because the monsters have far and away more personality than any actual characters in the game; I mean, most village/city characters aren't even named, and your player character is just an avatar. And yes, other avatar characters have gotten in, but those either A) had story significance (Robin, Corrin) or B) had unique looks (Villager.) A "Hunter" character would simply be a generic human in armor. The only thing that even comes close to being a viable option is someone like Shaka, which...isn't very likely, lol.

Personally, I'm satisfied with MH's presence in Smash. It seems perfect.

Edit: oh, and I don't think Geno will be affected by any of this. That's Capcom stuff, so he should be fine.

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Dante? Has he, or the Devil May Cry series ever been on a Nintendo System? If not, why would that even be a consideration?

Regardless, an autumn time direct would be nice to showcase Skull Kid and/or Geno. Time will tell.
i believe that Dante and Virgil were in Project X zone on the 3DS, but i think thats it

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Ah, that explains the connection then. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
i believe that Dante and Virgil were in Project X zone on the 3DS, but i think thats it
That was a weird but fun game. Lotta fun though.

Eh, makes sense to me. The most iconic part of Monster Hunter (And really, like 90% of the gameplay) is the boss battle-esque monsters, so the best way to represent the series should be a boss fight. This is because the monsters have far and away more personality than any actual characters in the game; I mean, most village/city characters aren't even named, and your player character is just an avatar. And yes, other avatar characters have gotten in, but those either A) had story significance (Robin, Corrin) or B) had unique looks (Villager.) A "Hunter" character would simply be a generic human in armor. The only thing that even comes close to being a viable option is someone like Shaka, which...isn't very likely, lol.

Edit: oh, and I don't think Geno will be affected by any of this. That's Capcom stuff, so he should be fine.
Hmmm that makes sense actually. Though now I wonder if we couldn't get Lagiacrus or Rathalos to fit like Ridley? (The answer is no haha)

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Hmmm that makes sense actually. Though now I wonder if we couldn't get Lagiacrus or Rathalos to fit like Ridley? (The answer is no haha)
I just got a mental image of a tiny Lagiacrus clambering around the stage and biting people, and it is honestly adorable. :laugh:

domriver

Smash Lord

This is how I was thinking of it. Capcom has Ryu and Megaman though. 2 unique fighters.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
yo you know what would be a nice touch. if Sakurai decided to give Geno the Quartz charm as a nice nod to culex

yo you know what would be a nice touch. if Sakurai decided to give Geno the Quartz charm as a nice nod to culex
Culex. That takes me waaaaaaaay back *nostalgia intensifies*

i did always imagine Geno could have a taunt where he pulls a random SMRPG item like rock candy star egg etc, kinda like Pac Man with the namco cameos
If Geno makes it, would be great if they throw along a bundle of SMRPG ATs and items. I might be going too far here :) *nostalgia overflowing*

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Culex. That takes me waaaaaaaay back *nostalgia intensifies*

If Geno makes it, would be great if they throw along a bundle of SMRPG ATs and items. I might be going too far here :)*nostalgia overflowing*
I think it would be odd if there wouldn't be at least 1 or 2 items (AT or other) from smrpg, tbh :p

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Think the obvious AT would be Mallow, for a item though... i guess Earlier Times could be Interesting, perhaps it's a item that recovers all your damage but you have to wait around 10 seconds without getting hit or something?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How about Jinx (the little dojo master from Monstro Town) as the AT, where he could do those crazy strong attacks like Silver Bullet. It can actually KO if don't block it, if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom