• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Just another night where I think

“Gosh, we need SMRPG music in Ultimate”
What a horrible night to lack SMRPG music.

Also put me on the supporter list, Geno isn't my go to most wanted, but SMRPG is great, and I think Geno should get in alongside Ridley and K Rool.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
*whispers* PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate you can add me to the list of supporters. I don't get much time to pop in, but I want my support set in stone lol

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just another night where I think

“Gosh, we need SMRPG music in Ultimate”
Yeppers. Just having Super Mario RPG content in Smash would be huge, because that's one of the few great games of that era "missing" in Smash.

(also Square Enix, please Secret of Mana/Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest music)

===

Also as much as I used to loathe the idea of Shadow I have now embraced it and love it. I just can't wait to see all the "omg it's real" when we see him shooting up the entire Smash Bros roster! :chuckle:

Imagine going back to 2008 and telling people Shadow the Edgehog vs. Solid Snake vs. Wolf O'Donnell vs. Dark Samus vs. King K. Rool vs. A Mii with a gun vs. Bayonetta vs. GENO will be a possible match up in a future Smash game.

AN ACTUAL MUGEN GUN FIGHT!!! :chuckle:

gebi

Cloud Prince
It's not that it's different or anything. It's just that this week's music update is, once again, not Mario music. Which coincides with an ongoing theory of mine:

Dragon lord Dragon lord just noted the same thing I did about the Bowser theme. It's conspicuously absent, when a Mario music sample should be on the site already.
what is your theory on the mario music?

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Considering the Final Smash 4 Direct had the forest Maze theme and the composer for Mario RPG is helping with the music in this game, I feel we could have that song at least, even if we do not have Geno I guess

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I buy the theory some people have that it is Uematsu, and not Square-Enix, the one making it difficult to add Final Fantasy VII music. So if that's the case there should be no problem in adding Super Mario RPG music.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I just realized I might have subconciously been one of, if not the first Supporter for Geno or Super Mario RPG character in smash.

When I was a smoll and young child. I made terrible paint comics with sprites from several games I found online, having them battle Smash style. Geno was in one of them. Aswel as the Jester (who was the referee) and the Carrot who ended up eating Luigi. So even Luigi died earlier in my Smash than Sakurai's Smash. :p

Sorry just something amusing I remembered, carry on!

Mariobro_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mariobro_WiiU
3DS FC
1805-2375-5612
Switch FC
7913-4114-6709
hey, just wanted to say that the Discord link in the OP has expired, so replacing it with one that doesn't expire would be helpful. i was gonna join but then noticed the link didn't work

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I refuse to hold a Smash Tounrament in December where Geno isn’t playable! Let’s hope he’s the next revealed character. My brother and I joke if Sakurai puts Geno in then we don’t care who he puts in after that. He could add 8 Fire Emblem characters for all I care haha.

domriver

Smash Lord
I refuse to hold a Smash Tounrament in December where Geno isn’t playable! Let’s hope he’s the next revealed character. My brother and I joke if Sakurai puts Geno in then we don’t care who he puts in after that. He could add 8 Fire Emblem characters for all I care haha.
pretty much my attitude but please we dont need 8 more fire emblem characters. lol

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
i always Find it interesting that Mario Peach and Bowser all seem to take possible inspiration from Mario RPG, Mario Finale Being Kinda Like Ultra Flame, Peach Using Her Frying Pan and Bowser using his Claws in his his attacks...

could all be a coincidence but whatever :p

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
hey, just wanted to say that the Discord link in the OP has expired, so replacing it with one that doesn't expire would be helpful. i was gonna join but then noticed the link didn't work
Hey! Sorry about that. I forgot to set the preferences for my server to only have one invite link, but it should be fixed now. Hop on over using the link in my signature, and hopefully PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate can update the link soon.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Sakurai confirmed in his recent column that the ballot is being used as a reference for this roster, think that’s a good sign?
i believe Geno did around top 20-25 on the ballot with the data people have gathered, but it seemed like Paper Mario was beating Him, we do have sakurai knowing he's a popular character like ridley and personally wanting him backing him up but yeah

Here's the estimated Data, of course this may be inaccurate as there's no true way to get all the votes but it's still useful

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
i believe Geno did around top 20-25 on the ballot with the data people have gathered, but it seemed like Paper Mario was beating Him, we do have sakurai knowing he's a popular character like ridley and personally wanting him backing him up but yeah
Geno placed #13 globally on the poll data you sent, and with The confirmed/deconfirmed characters out of the way, Geno shoots up to #6. Even then, this isn't the official Ballot, so we have no real way of knowing where he is there.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Even though Geno is a no name in Europe, he has a huge popularity in the US and a decent popularity in Japan. The biggest thing that Geno has for him is not even the amount of people who are supporting, this is the statute he has. Geno is a real legend of Smash Speculation, sure there is characters more popular than him, but all of them are linked to Smash Speculation like he his. When you think about long requested characters, legend of Smash Speculations, you think about three names: Ridley, K Rool and Geno. Two of them are now in the game.

At this point, i only see two characters who are synonymous with Smash Speculation and who are still not in the game: Geno and Isaac.

I'm confident about their chances. And we don't care about many Europeans having no interest in Geno, as we saw, Dark Samus got in because of her popularity in the US. We can say the same for Ridley (remember, Japanese people call him "Captain America"). Not having a huge popularity world wide is not a problem, we know that for a fact.

Geno is iconic among the Smash community, he's requested by many Americans and Japanese, Sakurai likes him, wants him and he's focusing on fan service this time. We have the right to be really optimistic about Geno's inclusion.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Even though Geno is a no name in Europe, he has a huge popularity in the US and a decent popularity in Japan. The biggest thing that Geno has for him is not even the amount of people who are supporting, this is the statute he has. Geno is a real legend of Smash Speculation, sure there is characters more popular than him, but all of them are linked to Smash Speculation like he his. When you think about long requested characters, legend of Smash Speculations, you think about three names: Ridley, K Rool and Geno. Two of them are now in the game.

At this point, i only see two characters who are synonymous with Smash Speculation and who are still not in the game: Geno and Isaac.

I'm confident about their chances. And we don't care about many Europeans having no interest in Geno, as we saw, Dark Samus got in because of her popularity in the US. We can say the same for Ridley (remember, Japanese people call him "Captain America"). Not having a huge popularity world wide is not a problem, we know that for a fact.

Geno is iconic among the Smash community, he's requested by many Americans and Japanese, Sakurai likes him, wants him and he's focusing on fan service this time. We have the right to be really optimistic about Geno's inclusion.
i think before Smash 4 DLC the Trio was more Ridley K Rool and Mewtwo, of course if were only counting newcomers and not retuners then yeah it's Ridley K Rool and Geno

Never really thought Isaac was that synonymous but eh

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Here's the link to what coolcat12347 coolcat12347 is referring to:
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes. I haven’t gone into detail about his moves or characteristics, but I feel it might be better to leave some room for imagination."

Big news for us.
Certainly is great news from Sakurai. Of course we have all these polls and sense of where people stand in the ballot but Nintendo holds the true results and well I don't think we will ever see that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes. I haven’t gone into detail about his moves or characteristics, but I feel it might be better to leave some room for imagination."

Big news for us.
Yep, it certainly does bode well. I also imagine it bodes well for Bandana Dee, Shantae, Isaac, Banjo Kazooie, and Skull Kid.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
We don't have exact numbers for Geno's ranking, and fan polls are not that valid of a source for the general consensus of votes, I feel.

That being said, Geno is special because, like K. Rool, Sakurai went out of his way to state that Geno IS popular.

"Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game."

Guys, I'm not normally one to get my expectations too high. But I genuinely feel Geno is inevitable at this point. When talking about his Mii costume, Sakurai even specifically says "Even though he still isn't a fully playable fighter". Not that he can't, not that it's a substitute, just because he "still" isn't a playable fighter.

I'm gonna say it. I've never been confident enough to say it before. Geno is going to get in.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
pretty much my attitude but please we dont need 8 more fire emblem characters. lol
Haha believe me dude, I want them to stop at Chrom! But I’m pretty much willing to do whatever it takes to get Geno in! I want this to open up a sequel down the road. His exposure in a game like smash will do wonders and his popularity will grow because of it. I’d atleast let 4 FE characters in for that. That’s a deal I’d sign up for! Haha

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yep, it certainly does bode well. I also imagine it bodes well for Bandana Dee, Shantae, Isaac, Banjo Kazooie, and Skull Kid.
Like I've said before, Geno's chances are incredibly high. :)
Banjo Kazooie depends on Microsoft, so maybe not. And Skull Kid wasn't super popular back then, so no. But it does bode well.

Ashley and Shovel Knight were turned into Assists though, and Waluigi too. So obviously they don't 'just' refer to votes. But it's still looking good.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Big news for us.
That's huge. We thought that, but it's nice to hear that from the man himself.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
I just realized.

If Geno is considered the Big Requested Threes by Sakurai and in the game

Why would he wait until the last Direct to reveal him ?

Since we got Ridley and K.K.Rool revealed everytime by the end of the stream, wouldn't it make sense to have Geno revealed at the end next ?

I know Skull Kid could replace that spot next direct (or heck, be the first cinematic reveal instead THEN potentially Geno) but it's something I just thought about.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
the real surprise to me is that Geno is apparently more popular in japan then in the West, suppose that does help a little bit against other "competitors" like Isaac who seems like a nobody in these japanese polls at least

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just realized.

If Geno is considered the Big Requested Threes by Sakurai and in the game

Why would he wait until the last Direct to reveal him ?

Since we got Ridley and K.K.Rool revealed everytime by the end of the stream, wouldn't it make sense to have Geno revealed at the end next ?

I know Skull Kid could replace that spot next direct (or heck, be the first cinematic reveal instead THEN potentially Geno) but it's something I just thought about.
I'm going to say it one more time before I drop it, but Skull Kid isn't making it in. It's just speculation that he would. And he's not in the most voted:
You can look at this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

As well as this image.

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think we're going to keep getting newcomers in pairs. I'm expecting Skull Kid or Karate Joe in the next direct, but with Isaac or Geno as the 'end-of-show' reveal. Then whichever of the two isn't revealed will be shown off after that with, I'm guessing, Banjo Kazooie. Echo Fighters will be sprinkled in each one.

I'm going to say it one more time before I drop it, but Skull Kid isn't making it in. It's just speculation, and he's not in the most voted:
You can look at this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

As well as this image.
No offense but you're really gonna put this much stock into a fan-made chart that ranks Magnemite over Midna or Chrom? Where Batman beats Goku, even as a 'no-****ing-way' pick, when Goku is the infinitely more talked about pick within the community?

There's no way that's legit.

Even in the higher ranks, Ridley is absurdly low despite Sakurai practically HAVING to address his popularity multiple times.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have no idea how many echo fighters we will end up getting, but as for completely new characters go, at most we will likely get 6-7 more. And my guess is that Sakurai wants to have most if not all of them revealed before November.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Personally I think we're going to keep getting newcomers in pairs. I'm expecting Skull Kid or Karate Joe in the next direct, but with Isaac or Geno as the 'end-of-show' reveal. Then whichever of the two isn't revealed will be shown off after that with, I'm guessing, Banjo Kazooie. Echo Fighters will be sprinkled in each one.

No offense but you're really gonna put this much stock into a fan-made chart that ranks Magnemite over Midna or Chrom? Where Batman beats Goku, even as a 'no-****ing-way' pick, when Goku is the infinitely more talked about pick within the community?

There's no way that's legit.

Even in the higher ranks, Ridley is absurdly low despite Sakurai practically HAVING to address his popularity multiple times.
I also don't see Paper Mario or Shantae coming close to the top 5 realistically. Especially not around 2015.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I have no idea how many echo fighters we will end up getting, but as for completely new characters go, at most we will likely get 6-7. And my guess is that Sakurai wants to have most if not all of them revealed before November.
I mean, Sakurai did say he plans to showcase every fighter before the game is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom