• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
People are severely overrating Skull Kid's popularity in hindsight. I hardly heard any talk of him prior to the Direct other than just noting how he wasn't shown as an AT yet - as far as Zelda reps, I've historically heard more talk of Vaati, Impa, and Tingle, if I'm honest. The only reason he's as popular as he is now is because of the massive bandwagon that rolled in after loz18 speculated "leaked" him, and especially after RelaxAlax made that video on him. If Skull Kid is in at all, which I kind of doubt at this point, it wasn't because of the ballot. He'd be a Sakurai pick, if anything.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Personally I think we're going to keep getting newcomers in pairs. I'm expecting Skull Kid or Karate Joe in the next direct, but with Isaac or Geno as the 'end-of-show' reveal. Then whichever of the two isn't revealed will be shown off after that with, I'm guessing, Banjo Kazooie. Echo Fighters will be sprinkled in each one.

No offense but you're really gonna put this much stock into a fan-made chart that ranks Magnemite over Midna or Chrom? Where Batman beats Goku, even as a 'no-****ing-way' pick, when Goku is the infinitely more talked about pick within the community?

There's no way that's legit.

Even in the higher ranks, Ridley is absurdly low despite Sakurai practically HAVING to address his popularity multiple times.

It's refered to quite a lot and had big numbers of votes. I dont remember how much exactly, but you shouldn't be looking at the colujmns on the right, where magnemite is, I'm not sure what that's for. Ok I saw it on the left too, not sure what shot that pokemon up, maybe there was a reason at the time. It's funny that people actually voted Goku in the ballot, even if it'll be discounted by nintendo.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I also don't see Paper Mario or Shantae coming close to the top 5 realistically. Especially not around 2015.
Yeah, the Paper Mario games then were not exactly doing him any favors, but Shantae 3rd game did very well the previous year and was still pretty big on the eshop, as well as her next game Half Genie Hero going through a very successful Kickstarter, as well as that Kickstarter making an update doing a call for action to vote for Shantae. So I think Shantae had timing in her favor.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Paper Mario as assist trophy will be worst than Takamaru Paper Mario got so many moves in his games he can work as a fighter.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, the Paper Mario games then were not exactly doing him any favors, but Shantae 3rd game did very well the previous year and was still pretty big on the eshop, as well as her next game Half Genie Hero going through a very successful Kickstarter, as well as that Kickstarter making an update doing a call for action to vote for Shantae. SO I think Shantae had timing in her favor.
"Paper Mario was re-released for Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console in July 2007 as well as Wii U Virtual Console in 2015. "

That might explain it. The original was a great hit, and it got rereleased in 2015

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok. So I looked into Magnemite too, and apparently, "their meme pick was Magnemite. " in Japan and maybe other places.
In other words, he was like Shrek.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Ridley being Lower then expected is actually not too surprising, lots of people took the pyrosphere boss and Sakurai saying "he's too big" (which he probably just pulled out of his ass) as a confirmation that he couldn't even be DLC, so they didn't want to "waste there vote" as a lot of fans didn't know the ballot really was just for Ultimate

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ridley being Lower then expected is actually not too surprising, lots of people took the pyrosphere boss as a confirmation that he couldn't even be DLC, so they didn't want to "waste there vote" as a lot of fans didn't know the ballot really was just for Ultimate
Same could be said for the likes of Chrom, Midna, Ashley, Takamura and the like.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
It's refered to quite a lot and had big numbers of votes. I dont remember how much exactly, but you shouldn't be looking at the colujmns on the right, where magnemite is, I'm not sure what that's for. It's funny that people actually voted Goku in the ballot, even if it'll be discounted by nintendo.
Regardless, those aren't official numbers, and it's from a pool of I'm gonna say roughly 31,000 votes. Not bad numbers by any means, but that probably pales in comparison to what they received in the actual ballot. You can also kind of tell that some of the numbers are the result of hype-campaigns, not denying that Shovel Knight is popular, but the character's results are just pretty decent outside of the Reddit polls, where he somehow manages to beat out K. Rool in one of them before inexplicably dropping to 15th place in the fourth Reddit poll.

Shrek has more votes than Bomberman in one of the polls. 4th place in another goes to 'Reckless Wiimote Safety Man'.

These are not trustworthy numbers.

There's also the issue of the same people probably voting on multiple polls, skewing numbers, and the fact that an official nintendo poll is going to draw in a lot more casual players than a poll on a dedicated reddit forum would.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've heard lots of people talk about Ridley being an american pick. In that he wasn't that strong in other places like japan.

It's cool that Geno is popular in japan too.

Scicky Scicky , nothing is fully trustworthy. but these are the highest numbers and most reliable for the time of the ballot.
And I'm with you too, I think nothing is quite like the actual results, which we don't have acces to.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do you think Geno would get a stage if he was in?

He's a Mario character so technically he might not warrant a stage, but he's also a third party and comes from a game that hasn't seen any representation in Smash.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
of course everyone knows these numbers aren't final, but it's still worth using them to maybe get us on the right track on who did well and who didn't, besides i heavily doubt anyone not on the top 25 of that list had some surprising Casual audience, expect Maybe Steve

I've heard lots of people talk about Ridley being an american pick. In that he wasn't that strong in other places like japan.

It's cool that Geno is popular in japan too.
While it is true that America probably did take up the majority, there is a japanese audience too, at least a way bigger audience then other American picks like Little Mac

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
We just need to hope that Geno truly did well in the 2015 ballot. I think him getting copyrights or mii costume and everything like that is a big deal but trying to gauge how he did against other common picks is tough. (Especially if they were heavy hitting 3rd party picks like Crash Bandicoot or Dante from DMC

I won't believe any speculation until he is in the game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We just need to hope that Geno truly did well in the 2015 ballot. I think him getting copyrights or mii costume and everything like that is a big deal but trying to gauge how he did against other common picks is tough. (Especially if they were heavy hitting 3rd party picks like Crash Bandicoot or Dante from DMC

I won't believe any speculation until he is in the game.
Crash and Dante are already more on Sony's side, so I'm doubtful about them, but Geno is already established with smash, so it's a good bet.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
i suppose if there's any sort of counter argument to people saying that Paper Mario did better on the ballot therefore being more likely then Geno, it probably would be Ridley, two characters so far that were supposedly above Ridley have been deconfirmed (Krystal and Shovel knight), this is most likely because Sakurai has a history of knowing Ridley is a popular pick, much like Geno if that interview is any indication

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
While the new article boosts Geno's chances, there was something else that may hurt them. The section regarding stages says this:

"Despite struggling to gather the necessary human resources, we made it our mission to put together 100 stages, so I hope you enjoy them."

There may be some translation errors, but if not it seems like 100 stages really is the push for base game (It's certain that we will get more stages in DLC with new fighters.). There could be three outcomes:

- This is wrong and there will be more than 100 stages.
- Geno does not come with a stage.
- Geno does not come base game.

Hopefully the first choice is what we come out with.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While the new article boosts Geno's chances, there was something else that may hurt them. The section regarding stages says this:

"Despite struggling to gather the necessary human resources, we made it our mission to put together 100 stages, so I hope you enjoy them."

There may be some translation errors, but if not it seems like 100 stages really is the push for base game (It's certain that we will get more stages in DLC with new fighters.). There could be three outcomes:

I am not to worried about that. Sakurai is basically saying that was the goal, and as we all know, Sakurai and the team are overachievers.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons

If that whole "103 is the final total" is true (which i personally doubt), that might actually boost Geno's chances since it could imply there's no new franchises in store (unless of course he pulls a ROB), seeing as Geno is a Mario character he can be introduced without a new stage while others like isaac or Banjo can't

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It could hurt quite a few characters, but Geno is still part of the mario realm, so even in the case where there's no other stages, it's not 100% needed. but it'd be nice to have a stage from mario rpg too :)

Klimax

Smash Ace
To be honest, i never imagined Geno getting in with a SMRPG stage, i don't know why but i always though that was impossible.

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Another Note is, i'm pretty sure none of the mario characters have the Paper Mario stage as there Home stage so far right?, if so that would be the perfect stage for Geno (or of course paper mario if he gets in)

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I support Geno , for me he is Special.
A friend of mine showed me SMRPG a long time ago , and that game looked magical.

Im the number one Agumon suporter,
but Geno, Skull Kid and Isaac are my top picks for Nintendo reps now.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
There are already like 10 different Mario Stages. Geno not getting a Super Mario RPG stage is not the worst thing that could happen for us. Ridley did not get a new stage. K.Rool did not get a new stage. You have Super Mario World and Peach's Castle (Melee) that come close so Super Mario RPG like.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There are already like 10 different Mario Stages. Geno not getting a Super Mario RPG stage is not the worst thing that could happen for us. Ridley did not get a new stage. K.Rool did not get a new stage. You have Super Mario World and Peach's Castle (Melee) that come close so Super Mario RPG like.
Is there a list of mario stages somewhere?
Any castle or forest or something similar to mario rpg could do.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Despite the numerous Mario stages we have, we still have no Bowser's Castle stage. Bowser's Keep could fill that void.

domriver

Smash Lord

There will be more than 100 stages. I think Sakurai showed 95% of the stages. Can't show you everything now.
Also we need a direct soon. LOL moarr infos

UNACCEPTABLE. SMRPG Unique Stage or NOTHING. LOL :p

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
There will be more than 100 stages. I think Sakurai showed 95% of the stages. Can't show you everything now.
Also we need a direct soon. LOL moarr infos
I think we will get another Smash direct in October showing off the last stuff we will see pre release

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
The only way I see Banjo making it into Smash without a stage is if Microsoft and Nintendo made a deal late in development. Even then, Nintendo was able to create a stage for Sonic back in Brawl. (Albeit they delayed the game for it)

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
If Rainbow road got Confirmed later on that also be a pretty good Home Stage for geno cus you know, Stars and Rainbows and space and such

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Geno placed #13 globally on the poll data you sent, and with The confirmed/deconfirmed characters out of the way, Geno shoots up to #6. Even then, this isn't the official Ballot, so we have no real way of knowing where he is there.
I'm sure he's fairly high up there. I don't think I voted in half of these 'fan polls', so it's very possible that some of the Geno fans missed them. We tend to disappear into the shadows between Smash games. I basically never become active in the community unless Geno is on the table.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Those polls had a very Reddit heavy focus, and there is no way I'm going on Reddit

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The only way I see Banjo making it into Smash without a stage is if Microsoft and Nintendo made a deal late in development. Even then, Nintendo was able to create a stage for Sonic back in Brawl. (Albeit they delayed the game for it)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...njo_and_kazooie_appearing_in_super_smash_bros

I think it’s a safe bet they will be ok letting them use banjo if they talked to them about it.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
The stage thing helps Geno far more than hurts him. K Rool didnt even get Gangplank Galleon despite it being his most iconic stage and it having a song in the game. And its not like DK has a ton of stages so adding it wouldn't exactly be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom