• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, considering Nintendo's track record with E3, we'll probably get multiple characters, no more than two. That being said, I can only imagine that they'll pad out post-E3 with other Ultimate content that includes either non-Fighter's Pass fighters, echoes, or some other miscellaneous content. Otherwise, it'll get very stale, unless E3 is such a huge blow-out that it leaves fans satisfied for a while. That, or we'll get a surprise that isn't part of the Fighter's Pass along with character 3 in the pass. It's really difficult to tell.
I could see multiple ways on how E3 could go down with the reveals:

1. Banjo & Kazooie and Geno get announced for the Season Pass.

2. Steve and Erdrick get announced for the Season Pass.

3. Banjo & Kazooie and Erdrick get announced for the Season Pass.

4. Steve and Geno get announced for the Season Pass.

I hope it's number 1.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I could see multiple ways on how E3 could go down with the reveals:

1. Banjo & Kazooie and Geno get announced for the Season Pass.

2. Steve and Erdrick get announced for the Season Pass.

3. Banjo & Kazooie and Erdrick get announced for the Season Pass.

4. Steve and Geno get announced for the Season Pass.

I hope it's number 1.
5. Banjo-Kazooie and Steve get announced for the Season Pass

6. B-K, Steve, and Geno get announced for the Season Pass

7. Every character is here!

bomamba

Smash Cadet
Well, I mean, even if he's not from that '''game''' (I don't think those are enough air quotes), Mario doesn't wear a tie...
Actually, it’s about Mario stealing Donkey Kong’s tie.
it’s gonna be a real good game on the switch better than Odyssey -IGN

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Real talk, even Jake Hunter has more production values than PDWT, and that's an interactive series of novels. But that's neither here nor there.

Speaking of AVGN-related stuff, the Adventures game bundle's release date hasn't been announced yet so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's saved for E3.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am a self-qualified Plumbers Don't Wear Ties expert. and I can tell you with the utmost certainty that plumbers definitely don't wear ties. Also the game confirms Geno for smash with a panda driving a race car assist trophy.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Does anyone ever space out way too hard and wonder if you are really just a character in a really detailed and lore filled story? Because I do that more than I really should.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I hope that with everything going on with Banjo, Conker can at least grab an assist or spirit. No. I have a theory. A GAME theory. Here I go again but with all these signs pointing to Banjo...

And Microsoft continuing to use Conker (most recently 2016)...

IS IT POSSIBLE? BANJO AND CONKER AT THE SAME TIME? COULD SAKURAI DO THAT TO US?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Does anyone ever space out way too hard and wonder if you are really just a character in a really detailed and lore filled story? Because I do that more than I really should.
I know this isn't Geno related, but I can kinda relate to this.

Occasionally I'll just be doing whatever and I'll have a moment where everything suddenly seems surreal and I feel like I'm on a set made for a TV show. Like, everything will be hunky-dory, and then out of nowhere I'll feel like I just discovered I'm on my own version of the Truman Show with Jim Carrey...but I'M Truman. It stays like that for a moment and then fades away.

Gotta say, it's pretty freaky.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My personal theory is that we're all just characters in the world's largest, most epic TV show, and when we die, we get to join the production crew for said show.
It's comforting to me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My personal theory is that we're all just characters in the world's largest, most epic TV show, and when we die, we get to join the production crew for said show.
It's comforting to me.
It's strange to say that I find comfort in the idea as well. Whoever's writing all of this clearly is quite skilled in so many ways, it would be unlikely for them to make a bad ending. Be it for each individual character or the story as a whole.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Pokemon news in the next few weeks, so March. Which... Is exactly was I expected so I dunno.
I expected the Pokemon news to be this week considering Pokemon Day as well as the website providing an official count down with their 'Visit Region' videos

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...n_mario_and_luigi_bowsers_inside_story_on_3ds

In the last game the main character was Goomba, who really worships Bowser. Because we wanted someone with just as much personality and appeal, and because in the original Bowser’s Inside Story the main character was Bowser himself, Bowser Jr. felt like the perfect fit. So we decided to tell his story. The adoption process for Bowser Jr. was relatively smooth as we thought it would be interesting to show the development of this character who has grown up in his father’s shadow. He may be mischievous, selfish and proud, but he comes to learn what is necessary to lead his own gang, whom he comes to treasure. We rewrote the script many times so that the audience can empathize with that aspect of his character.
Admittedly, it's a fairly genius idea. Though I'm concerned that with BIS' low sales, we'll never get something like this done again.

I know this isn't Geno related, but I can kinda relate to this.

Occasionally I'll just be doing whatever and I'll have a moment where everything suddenly seems surreal and I feel like I'm on a set made for a TV show. Like, everything will be hunky-dory, and then out of nowhere I'll feel like I just discovered I'm on my own version of the Truman Show with Jim Carrey...but I'M Truman. It stays like that for a moment and then fades away.

Gotta say, it's pretty freaky.
I sometimes think how we could actually be in a simulacrum of reality like the Matrix and that none of this is real, but feels like it does.

I expected the Pokemon news to be this week considering Pokemon Day as well as the website providing an official count down with their 'Visit Region' videos
We'll have to see in a couple of days.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Sorry for returning to this topic (had to study for a brutal test today):

Almost any Final Fantasy main game since X for starters. Even without that in mind if there are semantics, their crossover appearances in products they themselves don't own have been historically stingy.

Also, regarding SMRPG itself, between them and Nintendo, it's clear who cares more.

Granted, like you said too, the cases of priority do take factor. That said, Nintendo aren't really the ones to blame for allegedly holding Geno back, as Square's behavior with Cloud and their other properties show. And yeah, properties and all that, but that just further showcases how bad Sqaure are at properly managing their stuff.
I think fatmanonice made a statement that fits here. Those FF games sold well, but specially XIII and XV, while selling well initially, had a significant halt in sales. XIII demanded millions from the company to work on their new engine, which was good looking, but hardly used outside of a crapful of games. And XV... My dude, as much as I'm a classic FF fan, I'll admit that I'm actually quite tame with XV by a long shot compared to many on the internet. And I'll say, the game launched filled with missing content. And do you have any idea how much money they put not only into the game, but other media? The Kingsglaive movie was expensive to make, the marketing campaign for it was the largest one since FFVII... They may have sold millions, but they had to return millions just to compensate for what they invested. And it failed dude. Sadly it failed. And I 100% agree with fatmanonice. 95, actually, bc as much as S-E was cutting-edge at the time, they weren't going overboard on resources and overambition with their games. FFVII, VIII and IX, huge games, launched in a period of 4 years. And now they have that Nomura philosophy where the ambitions are so high that they hardly know how to put it all into a coherent structure, so stories are poorly written, resources are spent tremendously just so their games look as flashy as possible, and hardly have a development schedule that is reasonable. They are struggling in a way right now, bc the only games that made a significant return to them are DQXI and possibly KHIII.

I think of SE as being in an experimental track for now, and I'm sure they'l figure things out, both for making more games quickly as well as working on some modern hard-hitters once in a while. Maybe I'm just hopeful, but I still like their games, so as long as they keep afloat it's all good. Just hopeful on the live and learn part for them.
They have been experimenting since 2001. It's long overdue for them to find their footing. XD

D

Deleted member

The only lore filled story I cared about was the history books. Wanted to become famous and powerful to assert a lead role. Nearly crashing my car on high speed roads and realizing I'm not the hot **** I thought I was last semester has taught me that I'm pretty insignificant in the big picture and should focus on my own life and its milestones.

What's the saying? "I'm the protagonist of my own life."

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I went through a phase in my early teens where I basically felt like I was in the Truman Show. It honestly messed with the heads of a lot of people when it first came out but it's aged terribly. Now we all joke about having our own assigned FBI Agent when we go online and it's wild how much less people care about privacy now then even 10 years ago. "Just don't steal my ATM card numbers or leak my internet search history and we're square, fam."

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yes it's so freaky. Out of blue I'll suddenly be thinking "what the hell is any of this, is it real?" and stuff along those lines and it's just an uncomfortable feeling that usually doesn't last too long. It looks like others have experienced the same thing, I wonder what causes it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They have been experimenting since 2001. It's long overdue for them to find their footing. XD
97, rather. Einhander wasn't exactly going with the grain.

At this point, my hunch is: Square bombs, then Enix splits off, cannibalizes what IPs they can from Square's remains and focuses on their DQ and Taito stuff for a bit.

Really though they don't even study their own history when XV has done the exact same thing Spirits Within did to them years ago.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

At this point, my hunch is: Square bombs, then Enix splits off, cannibalizes what IPs they can from Square's remains and focuses on their DQ and Taito stuff for a bit.
Yeah, Enix seems to be doing fine, but Square... not so much.

As someone with lesser knowledge on law and how copyright works, what would happen to SMRPG's rights if Square dissolved? Would Enix be able to take the rights, or would it actually be viable for Nintendo to claim them? Squaresoft originally owned them, not Enix, yet the companies have since merged. That's definitely pretty complex stuff that I don't know about.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

As someone with lesser knowledge on law and how copyright works, what would happen to SMRPG's rights if Square dissolved? Would Enix be able to take the rights, or would it actually be viable for Nintendo to claim them? Squaresoft originally owned them, not Enix, yet the companies have since merged. That's definitely pretty complex stuff that I don't know about.
Well, I would suppose so, given that Nintendo once supposedly retrieved a former Hudson Soft series, Momotaro Densetsu.

On the other hand, Enix could potentially no longer hold back as much in regards to using SMRPG content for Fortune Street, so that's something.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
SE took a loss for sure. But they're supposedly on track for returns, and I'm sure they'll do better in the future :)
Maybe that's optimistic, but i do think they'll do better.

If they can learn from octopath traveler and more, they should see that you dont need 12 years and crazy graphics and investments to make a good game. I still like the eye candy and more tho, so I'll never say that they need to drop the new directions, just reassess and do it better where they want to keep at it. They just need to learn from it all, both what they screwed up with as well as their successes in other areas.

note; I'll respond to the posts that quoted me yesterday some other time later on.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
SE took a loss for sure. But they're supposedly on track for returns, and I'm sure they'll do better in the future :)
Maybe that's optimistic, but i do think they'll do better.

If they can learn from octopath traveler and more, they should see that you dont need 12 years and crazy graphics and investments to make a good game. I still like the eye candy and more tho, so I'll never say that they need to drop the new directions, just reassess and do it better where they want to keep at it. They just need to learn from it all, both what they screwed up with as well as their successes in other areas.

note; I'll respond to the posts that quoted me yesterday some other time later on.
Yeah, I think they could learn a lot from Octopath. It did very well with a better spread of effort, better time management, and better prioritization. It touched on what Squaresoft used to be before they left Nintendo, and it really did my heart good to see it.

Along with that, they've already gone on record to say that they want to remaster older games of theirs and put them on the Switch. In terms of their franchises born with Nintendo, that would be DQ, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and... well, Super Mario RPG. I think they'll prioritize DQ and Mana, given patterns we've been seeing, and Chrono Trigger would be way further down the line. As for Super Mario RPG, though, they can always outsource to a certain second-party of Nintendo's, whose employees are already very familiar with SMRPG's world and assets... unless they already have.

After all, we still don't know what AlphaDream's newest project is, one that we now know has been baking with the SSS and BiS remakes being made by smaller side teams, given the credits of those games versus their original versions. On top of that, they're hiring more people and supposedly doubling down on their Switch project. If it's been cooking up all this time with notable M&L devs missing from SSS and BiS's remakes, and they're hunkering down to focus on it now, it's probably something that'll be worth the wait. Whether it's SMRPG or not is up in the air, but it all does suspiciously align with so many things that have been happening with SMRPG and the Smash ballot...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I gotta ask my Genobros this: What is/are your favorite quotes from Nintendo staff members? Mine is this:

"My name is Iwata. I'm about making games. And, I'm about playing games. Last night, I played Super Smash Bros. That's my game. I kicked some, you know what, and I took his name. His name was Reggie. As Nintendo President, I'm also all about asking questions. So Reggie, I have a question for you: Who's. Your. Daddy?"
The whole ‘The game is fun’ shtick from last E3. Really encapsulates what makes Nintendo great and what I think the industry should strive for.
Oh we’re getting philosophical now. Must be in need of a Direct.

(Yeah I can relate, sometimes stuff just looks like polygons with really good graphics)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think they could learn a lot from Octopath. It did very well with a better spread of effort, better time management, and better prioritization. It touched on what Squaresoft used to be before they left Nintendo, and it really did my heart good to see it.

Along with that, they've already gone on record to say that they want to remaster older games of theirs and put them on the Switch. In terms of their franchises born with Nintendo, that would be DQ, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and... well, Super Mario RPG. I think they'll prioritize DQ and Mana, given patterns we've been seeing, and Chrono Trigger would be way further down the line. As for Super Mario RPG, though, they can always outsource to a certain second-party of Nintendo's, whose employees are already very familiar with SMRPG's world and assets... unless they already have.

After all, we still don't know what AlphaDream's newest project is, one that we now know has been baking with the SSS and BiS remakes being made by smaller side teams, given the credits of those games versus their original versions. On top of that, they're hiring more people and supposedly doubling down on their Switch project. If it's been cooking up all this time with notable M&L devs missing from SSS and BiS's remakes, and they're hunkering down to focus on it now, it's probably something that'll be worth the wait. Whether it's SMRPG or not is up in the air, but it all does suspiciously align with so many things that have been happening with SMRPG and the Smash ballot...
Speaking of their older games, it would be nice to see them actually use the Nintendo-originated major Final Fantasy entries again. Especially IV, which used to be everywhere, but now suddenly isn't even on the Playstation network.

Nah, I have just been thinking about Nier Automata and Steins;Gate recently.
Incidentally, Steins has its own exclusive 8-bit mode on the Switch, so I might consider getting that.

(Yeah I can relate, sometimes stuff just looks like polygons with really good graphics)
Still beats Isaac thread shipping things that have no business being shipped in the first place. :dizzy:

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
This is kinda a random question but it's something I'm always curious about.

Anyone else here cover their phone/laptop in stickers? Here's my disaster of a Macbook.

Anis mac.jpg

Jeez this case is super beat up heh... But hey it's got Geno!

Honestly, this is all pretty suspicious in my opinion complete with all the other SMRPG refereces in the past few years. If it was just one or two things I'd let it slide, but I'm not so sure about these being coincidences. There's also some weird happenings with Mother content lately as well that's also got me theorizing, but I guess we just have to play the incredibly boring waiting game.

Best timeline is we get both heh...

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Isn't that how things are though? The story/lore is there in culture, and we're characters in it, forged by our upbringing and whatever else. The question I'd ask more is who are we beyond the stories and culture. If we'd been brought up in a different place or time, would we still be the same person? What is it to be just ourselves, beyond any stories we've taken on or told our minds? and then there's not just the stories but how we feel about them and take them on as if that's our life.

I mean, I talk about that stuff once in a while, but this is just a game forum, so I'll stop there in case we dont wanna get lost in an existential quandary XD

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Really though they don't even study their own history when XV has done the exact same thing Spirits Within did to them years ago.
FF IX was the least experimental. They also had some time in the PSX days that still reflected the SNES days. People here love Xenoblade Chronicles, but never even heard or played Xenogears, the original Xeno game created by Squaresoft being originally the story for FFVII. It was still classic S-E.
They truly died when the PS2 came along.

Most probably it would fall in the hands of Squaresoft given the original contract gave them the copyright ownership

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom