• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sounds like he has an entitlement-fueled vendetta with Nintendo too, just because Geno isn't in, despite them still going above and beyond in so many ways with this game.

I mean, I get that Geno has backing, but it's not like he deserves some magical special treatment over other characters just because.
I mean, there's always a next time. Besides, the list of sensical Mario newcomer possibilities is getting small, so there's some legroom.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
But, as others have pointed out, those people really aren't tied to Dragon Quest (although they're really heavily tied to older FF games) and Square has made a huge deal about every DQ XI S announcement since December in Japan. Square has been flailing its arms for even voice actor announcements for DQ XI S so why would they be stone quiet for DQ coming to Smash if the announcement was a day away?
What if that radio silence is because they don't want to spoil Erdrick?

Analyzing notable retweets, I think the S-E people who have retweeted the direct are not people I would consider to be close to SMRPG's development or be taken as signs that Geno would make it. They are likely retweeting because Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy material seems more likely in the general direct. I am not sure about Takashi Tokita. He's either working on a new IP for Switch or a Chrono sequel.

The most notable non-Square third-party employee to retweet the direct so far IMO is Takahisa Taura of PlatinumGames, and that probably? doesn't relate to Smash. It is likely there is a project or two he is involved in that will be presented in the direct since he normally doesn't retweet announcements of directs.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What if that radio silence is because they don't want to spoil Erdrick?

Analyzing notable retweets, I think the S-E people who have retweeted the direct are not people I would consider to be close to SMRPG's development or be taken as signs that Geno would make it. They are likely retweeting because Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy material seems more likely in the general direct. I am not sure about Takashi Tokita. He's either working on a new IP for Switch or a Chrono sequel.

The most notable non-Square third-party employee to retweet the direct so far IMO is Takahisa Taura of PlatinumGames, and that probably? doesn't relate to Smash. It is likely there is a project or two he is involved in that will be presented in the direct since he normally doesn't retweet announcements of directs.
I think the point they are trying to make is it seems really weird how they will have a major event whenever someone says Dragon Quest. But a character reveal they don't even try to hint at and hype up. It's more of a "out of character" thing more then anything.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's possible that I'll be more around the other SE threads tomorow. I like both smrpg and dq, but it'll be hard for me to enjoy myself as much in this one depending on how people are. I'll still be around tho.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Tweaked expectations for the direct:

Confirmed:
Mario Tennis Aces
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Probable:
Mario Maker 2 reveal (not one that takes too long)
Animal Crossing (won't be too much to showcase)
Luigi's Mansion (also short, release date given)
Boxboy (like 2 minutes long since not many people play the game)
Yoshi's Crafted World (longer than the others, 5 mins max)
Mario Kart Tour news (kinda long sorta)
Either Ace Attorney or Final Fantasy news (3-4 mins)

Maybe:
Star Fox racing game
Pokemon announcement (super short, separate Pokemon direct announced)
Bayonetta 3
Pikmin 3 port
Joker gameplay/release date and/or new character reveal
Metroid Prime Trilogy port
New Mario Sports game
Brief Daemon X Machina thing with release date
Mario Odyssey DLC or sequel announcement
New Zelda game announcement
New IP we don't know about yet (short announcement)
Other games coming to Switch
Dragon Quest news
Town news
SNES games
Persona 5 Switch port
Assassin's Creed Ezio collection
Crash Team Racing news

Probably not:
Pikmin 4
Mother Trilogy/Mother 3 Switch
Paper Mario game/Mario RPG game
ARMS news
Old series revival
Resident Evil 2 Switch port
Some game you thought would be a PS4 exclusive that's coming to Switch
Mario Kart DLC
Cuphead Switch (sorry Cuphead fans)
SMT 5
Spyro Switch
KH3 Switch port
Witcher 3 port (people actually spoke about this????? only in this section because Nintendo plans to release game cartridges with higher storage)
Hollow Knight DLC (only here because it's a Switch exclusive console wise)

Definitely not:
Splatoon news of any sort
Mother 4
Mario Galaxy 3
New Kirby game
Metroid Prime 4
Bloodborne port
New Rhythm Heaven or Chibi Robo
Octopath Traveler sequel news
New Donkey Kong game
Abolishing Switch online
New WarioWare game
Super Mario 64 Switch
Anything with Waluigi
Anything with Snipperclips
More BotW DLC

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Radio silence does not necessarily mean anything. Just ask the Shantae fans.
I know. But in the case of some third-party reveals, the third party will not tweet anything regarding Smash Bros, only to tweet/post information it after Nintendo has revealed it. Persona's twitter made no tweets related to Smash until Joker was revealed.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Tweaked expectations for the direct:

Confirmed:
Mario Tennis Aces
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Probable:
Mario Maker 2 reveal (not one that takes too long)
Animal Crossing (won't be too much to showcase)
Luigi's Mansion (also short, release date given)
Boxboy (like 2 minutes long since not many people play the game)
Yoshi's Crafted World (longer than the others, 5 mins max)
Mario Kart Tour news (kinda long sorta)
Either Ace Attorney or Final Fantasy news (3-4 mins)

Maybe:
Star Fox racing game
Pokemon announcement (super short, separate Pokemon direct announced)
Bayonetta 3
Pikmin 3 port
Joker gameplay/release date and/or new character reveal
Metroid Prime Trilogy port
New Mario Sports game
Brief Daemon X Machina thing with release date
Mario Odyssey DLC or sequel announcement
New Zelda game announcement
New IP we don't know about yet (short announcement)
Other games coming to Switch
Dragon Quest news
Town news
SNES games
Persona 5 Switch port
Assassin's Creed Ezio collection
Crash Team Racing news

Probably not:
Pikmin 4
Mother Trilogy/Mother 3 Switch
Paper Mario game/Mario RPG game
ARMS news
Old series revival
Resident Evil 2 Switch port
Some game you thought would be a PS4 exclusive that's coming to Switch
Mario Kart DLC
Cuphead Switch (sorry Cuphead fans)
SMT 5
Spyro Switch
KH3 Switch port
Witcher 3 port (people actually spoke about this????? only in this section because Nintendo plans to release game cartridges with higher storage)
Hollow Knight DLC (only here because it's a Switch exclusive console wise)

Definitely not:
Splatoon news of any sort
Mother 4
Mario Galaxy 3
New Kirby game
Metroid Prime 4
Bloodborne port
New Rhythm Heaven or Chibi Robo
Octopath Traveler sequel news
New Donkey Kong game
Abolishing Switch online
New WarioWare game
Super Mario 64 Switch
Anything with Waluigi
Anything with Snipperclips
More BotW DLC
It...

It all adds up now.

Guys, we did it. Geno is in

as Mario Tennis Aces DLC. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

I know. But in the case of some third-party reveals, the third party will not tweet anything regarding Smash Bros, only to tweet/post information it after Nintendo has revealed it. Persona's twitter made no tweets related to Smash until Joker was revealed.
...Shantae is a third party

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I would not be upset with that.
Listen, if Geno and Mallow were added into Mario Tennis Aces as DLC, I would drop the 60 bucks to buy this game that I otherwise wouldn't care for, plus the extra moolah for their DLC. I'd do it so fast.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think the point they are trying to make is it seems really weird how they will have a major event whenever someone says Dragon Quest. But a character reveal they don't even try to hint at and hype up. It's more of a "out of character" thing more then anything.
This. Square pretty much makes a big deal out of any Dragon Quest announcement simply because of how big it is in Japan. Square treats DQ announcements like Nintendo treats Pokemon announcements. It would be very out of character for the announcement 1. to have so little fanfare and 2. to be just a side note in a bigger presentation.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Exactly. So not all.
What I meant to say was that some third parties won't make allusions to having some affiliation with Smash Bros until after their character is officially revealed. Of course, Wayforward is not one of those parties.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Rare hasn't said anything Smash related since K. King was announced. :4pacman:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Let's say hypothetically they add ANOTHER FE character instead of Erdrick. HOWEVER, it's a FE character that is also a spirit. How would ya'll feel?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This. Square pretty much makes a big deal out of any Dragon Quest announcement simply because of how big it is in Japan. Square treats DQ announcements like Nintendo treats Pokemon announcements. It would be very out of character for the announcement 1. to have so little fanfare and 2. to be just a side note in a bigger presentation.
What do you base yourself on? DQ hasn't really been crossed over that much. They're also not that great at marketing :/
I'd point to dai's inclusion in jump force but it's possible SE wasnt much part of that one.

Anyway, it's because of unnecessary stuff like this that I'm thinking of not checking the geno thread too much tomorow.

D

Deleted member

Let's say hypothetically they add ANOTHER FE character instead of Erdrick. HOWEVER, it's a FE character that is also a spirit. How would ya'll feel?
Tbh, I at least don't want the FE character to be an ad.

If it's Hector, I will be happy. I would want either him or Lyn to be the new FE character if there is one

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I don't have to worry about erdrick being the square rep and I get the knowledge that spirits don't deconfirm? I'm not seeing a downside here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What do you base yourself on? DQ hasn't really been crossed over that much. They're also not that great at marketing :/
I'd point to dai's inclusion in jump force but it's possible SE wasnt much part of that one.

Anyway, it's because of unnecessary stuff like this that I'm thinking of not checking the geno thread too much tomorow.
I already gave several examples. It has had separate announcements at TGS, Jump Festa, on New Year's, and several press conferences since the fall. It's an observable pattern.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I already gave several examples. It has had separate announcements at TGS, Jump Festa, on New Year's, and several press conferences since the fall. It's an observable pattern.
Once they were announced perhaps.
Also, dont forget if it's about a character the announcement it's on nintendo's end first.

Anyway, you guys can enjoy whatever discussion you want, I'm going to step out from this thread until after all the direct stuff.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, I don't agree with the argument either and think it's pretty pointless to look at under a microscope. That being said, speculation itself is kinda 'unnecessary' at its basis, don't you think? It's speculation for a reason. I wouldn't let it get to ya, especially since, even if this meant something, I still think Erdrick is coming either way, just later rather than sooner.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Man, I don't agree with the argument either and think it's pretty pointless to look at under a microscope. That being said, speculation itself is kinda 'unnecessary' at its basis, don't you think? It's speculation for a reason. I wouldn't let it get to ya, especially since, even if this meant something, I still think Erdrick is coming either way, just later rather than sooner.
I'm just getting put off by a few things like what I'm gauging to be bias at the expense of possibilities. I'd rather just leave the possibilities open.
Well, really it's especially that I want to go into the direct with some good vibes, and it's hard for me to keep it up if I see things I'd want to debate. Even just debating in general doesnt exactly put me in a good mood.

Hope you enjoy the direct oval :)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm just getting put off by a few things like what I'm gauging to be bias at the expense of possibilities. I'd rather just leave the possibilities open.
Well, really it's especially that I want to go into the direct with some good vibes, and it's hard for me to keep it up if I see things I'd want to debate. Even just debating in general doesnt exactly put me in a good mood.

Ahh, okay, I see what you mean then. That makes sense.

Hope you enjoy it, too! Smash or not, I think we're gonna get some really neat stuff!

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Well, really it's just that I want to go into the direct with some good vibes, and it's hard for me to keep it up if I see things I'd want to debate. Even just debating in general doesnt exactly put me in a good mood.

This is the Geno support thread, of course there's going to be bias, just like every other support thread.

Now that's not an excuse for people blatantly ignoring other possible characters for their inclusions, not at all, but if you went into a thread which was made in order to support one specific character, and you see people mostly rooting for said character over other characters even at the expense of brushing aside other possibilities, wouldn't something be amiss if they were they weren't rooting for the character of said thread?

It'd be like going to a sports bar on the night of a big game, and it was filled with one team's fans. You go up to someone talking about how the either team, or just some other team's chances are pretty good at winning, giving them statistics and so forth in their favor, only to be met by the team brushing those things aside and still rooting for their team.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ahh, okay, I see what you mean then. That makes sense.

Hope you enjoy it, too! Smash or not, I think we're gonna get some really neat stuff!
I like to hear that :) Yeah, bound to be some cool things in nintendo's goody bag.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, and just do what I want to do.

This is the Geno support thread, of course there's going to be bias, just like every other support thread.

Now that's not an excuse for people blatantly ignoring other possible characters for their inclusions, not at all, but if you went into a thread which was made in order to support one specific character, and you see people mostly rooting for said character over other characters even at the expense of brushing aside other possibilities, wouldn't something be amiss if they were they weren't rooting for the character of said thread?

It'd be like going to a sports bar on the night of a big game, and it was filled with one team's fans. You go up to someone talking about how the either team, or just some other team's chances are pretty good at winning, giving them statistics and so forth in their favor, only to be met by the team brushing those things aside and still rooting for their team.
It's a bit of a toughy, because in this case there's more bias 'against' erdrick because people think it takes away the SE slot.

It's normal when people look at it in competition, and in this case it's just because I like both smrpg and dq that it puts me in a pickle. Solution, i avoid the geno thread for 1 day. no biggie.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Must have been the "bravery" speech then.

You're talking to a guy who has a vendetta against an old fart war crime denier who doesn't even know that he exists. So, I'm not sure reasoning with him will work. :drshrug:

I try to respect people's opinions and all, but I wouldn't try to argue their iron-clad views unless something comes that can debunk their fears.
I like how this is framed, like I'm in the wrong to have an intense dislike for a war crime denying, bigoted homophobe. Is it really so unreasonable to have the same sort of hatred towards this guy that people have about a bunch of equally terrible people? I know that this comes off pedantic to some people, but I don't think my vitriol is unjustified.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I like how this is framed, like I'm in the wrong to have an intense dislike for a war crime denying, bigoted homophobe. Is it really so unreasonable to have the same sort of hatred towards this guy that people have about a bunch of equally terrible people? I know that this comes off pedantic to some people, but I don't think my vitriol is unjustified.
I know, but the thing is that it's not like he's openly spiting the West for ignoring Dragon Quest by forcing Sak to shove Eddy in Smash.

In the end, it's best to just separate the art from the artist.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, and just do what I want to do.
I know exactly how you feel...:(

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I know, but the thing is that it's not like he's openly spiting the West for ignoring Dragon Quest by forcing Sak to shove Eddy in Smash.

In the end, it's best to just separate the art from the artist.

I know exactly how you feel...:(
I can separate art from the artist only to a certain extent.... or if they are dead.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can separate art from the artist only to a certain extent.... or if they are dead.
Well, Sugiyama is pretty ancient, so he won't be long for this world...

I fully acknowledge I could be wrong but I don't get how I'm ruining anyone's fun or enjoyment. It's simply doubt, not trying to rattle jimmies or whatever.
People in general are antsy right now, so it doesn't take much to disappoint.

It's like a Mexican standoff, except no one has any guns, and they can't reach, let alone shoot each other.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
so polar posted this, saying it's a hint. Now it wasn't specified if this was Smash related, but I thought I'd bring discussion here.

D

Deleted member

so polar posted this, saying it's a hint. Now it wasn't specified if this was Smash related, but I thought I'd bring discussion here.
Probably not Smash since what in the world could it mean? The first thing I thought of was Mother 3 for some odd reason a Mechanical Crab seems like something (Spoiler) would turn into a chimera

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom