• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It is a bit of a grey area, really. Is it something I'd consider a point for SMRPG? In terms of exposure and people purchasing it for that game, as well as it being included in the lineup helping to entice the purchase, yeah, we can consider it as that, but that's about it. It's consideration based on its existence in the lineup, but nothing we can connect to any actual numbers. The amount of ambiguity behind it doesn't make it a large point for SMRPG. I'd say the consumer doesn't matter in this case, but the fact that Nintendo and Square even allowed it matters. They still see it worth being in the modern eye, even if only as a port. Consumer sales for the SNES Classic just seems less like it holds water, you know?
I still don't understand why it isn't a valid point to bring up.

People purchased the game, and all I'm hearing as to why it isn't a good point is either "it isn't the only game they played on it" and "there are different reasons for buying it."

By this logic, the same could be said for Smash Ultimate. We don't know if people bought the Switch for that game alone, and we don't know why people bought the game. Yet I don't see anyone say that the amount of Ultimate's sales don't matter

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I still don't understand why it isn't a valid point to bring up.

People purchased the game, and all I'm hearing as to why it isn't a good point is either "it isn't the only game they played on it" and "there are different reasons for buying it."

By this logic, the same could be said for Smash Ultimate. We don't know if people bought the Switch for that game alone, and we don't know why people bought the game. Yet I don't see anyone say that the amount of Ultimate's sales don't matter
See, that's a bit of a different situation. Smash Ultimate is a singular game to purchase, not what is essentially a bundle of multiple games preloaded onto one console. Logic would therefore apply differently.

It's a bit like this. Can we assume there are people who bought a Switch just for Smash? Absolutely. Can we assume there are people who bought an SNES Classic just for SMRPG? Of course. How many of them did, however, and how much water does the argument hold when presented with any lack of evidence towards it? Not much. It's mainly an opinion based on information extrapolated on the culture surrounding the games, the state of the marketplace, and the state of the fans. It's a reasonable one, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing factual that can be backed up.

People's reasons for buying a Switch? For at least one of the games, something that can be realized through which games they've individually purchased. SNES Classic's games cannot be individually purchased, and they all come as part of a massive bundle. Whether or not people got it for that specific game or for others cannot be determined. The sales numbers are nice, and it does speak to people loving the SNES Classic and at least the general lineup, but because of it having many games preloaded, it's hard to pinpoint anything as a solid fact.

Again, the opinion of SMRPG being helped by the SNES Classic is just that: an opinion. It's a valid one, don't get me wrong, just as people buying Switches just for Smash is a valid one. Whether we can determine that factually is just a different story, that's all.

D

Deleted member

See, that's a bit of a different situation. Smash Ultimate is a singular game to purchase, not what is essentially a bundle of multiple games preloaded onto one console. Logic would therefore apply differently.

It's a bit like this. Can we assume there are people who bought a Switch just for Smash? Absolutely. Can we assume there are people who bought an SNES Classic just for SMRPG? Of course. How many of them did, however, and how much water does the argument hold when presented with any lack of evidence towards it? Not much. It's mainly an opinion based on information extrapolated on the culture surrounding the games, the state of the marketplace, and the state of the fans. It's a reasonable one, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing factual that can be backed up.

People's reasons for buying a Switch? For at least one of the games, something that can be realized through which games they've individually purchased. SNES Classic's games cannot be individually purchased, and they all come as part of a massive bundle. Whether or not people got it for that specific game or for others cannot be determined. The sales numbers are nice, and it does speak to people loving the SNES Classic and at least the general lineup, but because of it having many games preloaded, it's hard to pinpoint anything as a solid fact.

Again, the opinion of SMRPG being helped by the SNES Classic is just that: an opinion. It's a valid one, don't get me wrong, just as people buying Switches just for Smash is a valid one. Whether we can determine that factually is just a different story, that's all.
I see the point now. Thanks.

I still think though that it is a good point to bring up when we know there are people such as EarlTamm EarlTamm who bought the SNES Classic mainly for SMRPG

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I see the point now. Thanks.

I still think though that it is a good point to bring up when we know there are people such as EarlTamm EarlTamm who bought the SNES Classic mainly for SMRPG
Yeah, I understand that. I still take it with a massive grain of salt, if not a full caterpillar vehicle full of salt, but it mostly boils down to opinion at this point. We'll have to just agree to disagree.

... That being said, I'm kicking myself for not getting an SNES Classic, mainly for SMRPG and a few other SNES games I happen to not own. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I understand that. I still take it with a massive grain of salt, if not a full caterpillar vehicle full of salt, but it mostly boils down to opinion at this point. We'll have to just agree to disagree.

... That being said, I'm kicking myself for not getting an SNES Classic, mainly for SMRPG and a few other SNES games I happen to not own. :facepalm:
I got SMRPG on the WiiU VC.

It's one of the reasons I think the WiiU is underrated lol. I play Mario RPGs and Mother games on it most of the time

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I got SMRPG on the WiiU VC.

It's one of the reasons I think the WiiU is underrated lol. I play Mario RPGs and Mother games on it most of the time
:drflip:

It's a good thing I'm one of the few people I know to own a Wii U...!!

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
It would change everything purely because we have no logical reason to expect Edelgard now of all times. It would also be a terrible marketing tactic because Three Houses ain't even out in Japan yet.
The character would theoretically be released after the game comes out though right?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Why is it so hard to consider that Dragon Quest would be a largely Japanese oriented pick with a decent fan base abroad?
DQXI and Persona 5 sold roughly the same. The difference? People in the US wanted Joker, though I will admit the request was niche...well, I would have thought it was niche until I watched a compilation reaction video that had roughly 25-30 people losing their minds over the reveal. See, US loved Persona 5, and as someone who hasn't played either SMT or Persona I have no idea why, but I assume it's because of the attitude of the game and the characters and their interactions with some good gameplay spiced in.

Once again, let's be real here: most of us didn't know about Erdrick until Vergeben brought up his 7 Square Reps and then we had to google him. Now suddenly everyone is experts on the character and his chances for Smash? Sorry, but Japan Smash fan polls show that Erdrick, in the nation of all his glory no less, is an after thought to characters like Banjo, Sora, Geno, and...Sans...

Sakurai has gone on record saying he's running out of iconic picks with worldwide appeal...guess who doesn't have worldwide appeal? Erdrick, and DQ being recently more successful here in the West does not give them worldwide appeal. Let me know when they come to critical acclaim over here and start matching sales of KH and FF then we can talk about worldwide appeal, but for now it's still barely noticed in comparison.

Like seriously, why do you guys constantly think that...

ACTUALLY NEVER MIND GET HYPE YALL

Then people are saying it's an FE-centered Direct.

And then @Bolderousness points out it likely won't be a FE-focused Direct.

domriver

Smash Lord
I personally am hoping for Bayonetta 3 news
Anything regarding Mario/Zelda
Resident Evil
Fatal Frame
XenoChronicles
SMRPG remake
Geno Reveal

Come to think of it guys a question. Do you think SMPRG remake and/or Geno reveal is E3 worthy? Or more like direct type of stuff? To be honest Revealing Banjo-Kazooie at E3 would be awesome along with a highly requested character. Just a thought. What you guys think?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
DQXI and Persona 5 sold roughly the same. The difference? People in the US wanted Joker, though I will admit the request was niche...well, I would have thought it was niche until I watched a compilation reaction video that had roughly 25-30 people losing their minds over the reveal. See, US loved Persona 5, and as someone who hasn't played either SMT or Persona I have no idea why, but I assume it's because of the attitude of the game and the characters and their interactions with some good gameplay spiced in.

Once again, let's be real here: most of us didn't know about Erdrick until Vergeben brought up his 7 Square Reps and then we had to google him. Now suddenly everyone is experts on the character and his chances for Smash? Sorry, but Japan Smash fan polls show that Erdrick, in the nation of all his glory no less, is an after thought to characters like Banjo, Sora, Geno, and...Sans...

Sakurai has gone on record saying he's running out of iconic picks with worldwide appeal...guess who doesn't have worldwide appeal? Erdrick, and DQ being recently more successful here in the West does not give them worldwide appeal. Let me know when they come to critical acclaim over here and start matching sales of KH and FF then we can talk about worldwide appeal, but for now it's still barely noticed in comparison.

Sorry, but just look at my icon.

D

Deleted member

Fingers crossed for Geno. May not be very likely but Sakurai is a Miracle worker so it's not over till it's over.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The reveal shows Geno, but the camera pans out revealing Erdrick controlling Geno, the camera pans out again revealing Sakurai controlling Erdrick, the camera then pans out again showing that Geno is controlling Sakurai. Confirming once and for all that Geno is the one in control. We are all just Geno's play things in his little game.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
So, since a lot of people wants Geno here.. (how surprising :4pacman:) Would you make a promise?
Like, I would upload a pic of myself drinking some beer because hell yeah Geno!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The reveal shows Geno, but the camera pans out revealing Erdrick controlling Geno, the camera pans out again revealing Sakurai controlling Erdrick, the camera then pans out again showing that Geno is controlling Sakurai. Confirming once and for all that Geno is the one in control.
and then it pans out to show Sans.

because Geno is from Earthbound.

D

Deleted member

I personally am hoping for Bayonetta 3 news
Anything regarding Mario/Zelda
Resident Evil
Fatal Frame
XenoChronicles
SMRPG remake
Geno Reveal

Come to think of it guys a question. Do you think SMPRG remake and/or Geno reveal is E3 worthy? Or more like direct type of stuff? To be honest Revealing Banjo-Kazooie at E3 would be awesome along with a highly requested character. Just a thought. What you guys think?
Hell ****ing yes a Geno and SMRPG remake reveal are E3 worthy

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, since a lot of people wants Geno here.. (how surprising :4pacman:) Would you make a promise?
I would take my Luigi hat that I have hanging on my closet door and eat it. I will eat my damn hat.

Hold me to this.

D

Deleted member

If Geno got in Smash I would take the Geno hat I made and frame it or Eat it one of the two, Not exactly sure but I would do something to commemorate that moment.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Yasss, a new Direct!! I'm so excited! I hope there's at least one thing about Smash in it. If not, I'm completely fine. I just think it'd be epic if we do. What are y'all expecting? :D

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Direct hype! Be a dear Sakurai and give us Geno :)

Also I fought Hungrybox a while back but I didn't know who he was lol (I'm pretty new to the Smash community still).

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yasss, a new Direct!! I'm so excited! I hope there's at least one thing about Smash in it. If not, I'm completely fine. I just think it'd be epic if we do. What are y'all expecting? :D
In terms of Smash news, I expect the news to be either inconsequential (if existent) or disappointing beyond a probable Joker gameplay reveal. The closer we get to Joker being ready, the more excited I get for him, but that'll be overridden by sadness if we don't get Geno or Banjo, honestly.

In terms of other news, I don't know what to expect beyond what's been talked about ad nauseum, but in terms of that, Nintendo never really disappoints me, so I'm excited for that!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The senior editor of Game Informer just took to Twitter and said that tomorrow's Direct is going to be a big one. Polar Panda called this to our Discord's attention because supposedly the guy is about as straight of an arrow as you can get and doesn't wantonly hype things. Doesn't mean Smash but Nintendo looks to be dropping some major bombshells tomorrow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1095365057246949376

D

Deleted member

Fire Emblem Three houses (which is Confirmed to be shown off)
Yoshi's Crafted World
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Some Nindies
Joker Gameplay
"Brave" Reveal

I think that's the least we could expect. Hopefully Brave is Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The senior editor of Game Informer just took to Twitter and said that tomorrow's Direct is going to be a big one. Polar Panda called this to our Discord's attention because supposedly the guy is about as straight of an arrow as you can get and doesn't wantonly hype things. Doesn't mean Smash but Nintendo looks to be dropping some major bombshells tomorrow.

Uhh, wow, Imran's a big 'un. That's pretty exciting then.

S-Super Mario RPG content...???

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman

Not to dunk on Erdrick fans but this is a good point. Dragon Quest never shows up in fan polls, while Cloud's inclusion was entirely motivated by his strong fanbase.

Not saying Dragon Quest doesn't deserve to be in or anything, it has the legacy and all, but the whole franchise doesn't seem to have been asked for as much as Geno, one character from one game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I hope big one means a reveal :)

In any case, I hope we all enjoy the direct. finally some info :bee:

D

Deleted member

Please be Geno Please Be Geno Please Be Geno *ahem* Yeah that's pretty freaking exciting if true Maybe not for Smash exactly but Major news would be hype regardless after this Info Drought.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
No surprise Big N is giving it their all this time around; it's like the one direct they can't mess up.

In that case I expect Fire Emblem and Mario Tennis Aces (confirmed), Animal Crossing, Bayonetta 3, Pokemon, Daemon X Machina, maybe Smash, and either Zelda or Mario.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

This is it.

We're getting Mother 3.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Once again...
LETS GET RESPONSIBLY HYPE!
And I am really stressing the responsibly part.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Umm. it's 35 mins, which is alright, but I doubt it can cover that many things :O

link2702

Smash Champion
Datboigeno Datboigeno

Was that your pit I just faced now as my ganon? If so gg, glad I finally found another person from here in a match.

If not well...damn.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Hoping for Mario Maker 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom