• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Men we usually have a picture leak or something by this point. and here we are starving over a direct that may only have a vague Joker release date in it at most.

D

Deleted member

I’d like to point out the fact that Persona 5 has only sold about 2 million copies in the US as well, while Dragon Quest has done comparably well over the years with a few million sellers and has the more important history, especially to again, Japan where as of right now every single one of our third parties has originated from and Dragon Quest is the biggest NES era franchise not currently represented in Smash.

Why is it so hard to consider that Dragon Quest would be a largely Japanese oriented pick with a decent fan base abroad? Not everything has to be specifically for us (We’ve had reverse situations like Ridley and Little Mac) and I’ve talked about how Smash characters will sell regardless of who it is. And again, it’s got comparable if not better numbers than Persona overall in the States, I don’t see how that suddenly becomes a huge problem.

I just see the numbers play against DQ as very misguided at best. I just don’t see enough evidence to see it as a valid counterpoint to the inclusion of a DQ character. Geno’s chances lie somewhat out of the realm of Dragon Quest anyway as they would be picked for entirely different reasons...

Also, if I see one more person try to conflate SNES Classic sales with Super Mario RPG sales seriously speaking...just that’s not how any of this works.
Agreed. Nobody bought the SNES classic for Mario RPG alone. If there are people out there that did then it's a very minuscule amount. I work at an EB Games (essentially a GameStop in Canada) and when people bought the unit, they bought it because the idea of a collection of SNES games attracted their attention or if they bought it for one game and one game alone, it was mostly casuals seeking a nostalgia trip for Super Mario World. Even then though, the latter was an uncommon thing.

If we keep bringing up SNES classic sales when discussing sales of SMRPG, it just looks like we're desperately grasping at straws. Yes, the SNES classic is a fantastic device to introduce people to the game but like @EricTheGamerman said: that's not how it works.
I don't see your point about how the SNES Classic sales can't be used as a point for SMRPG.

Of course it wasn't bought for SMRPG alone, but...that's the same case for every console. The point doesn't hold much ground

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Nintendo didn't think it was worth it they wouldn't have put it in the SNES mini let's put it that way

D

Deleted member

Men we usually have a picture leak or something by this point. and here we are starving over a direct that may only have a vague Joker release date in it at most.
First we should probably be waiting for the Direct to be announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't see your point about how the SNES Classic sales can't be used as a point for SMRPG.

Of course it wasn't bought for SMRPG alone, but...that's the same case for every console. The point doesn't hold much ground
I just want to say that I actually bought the SNES Classic mainly just so I can play SMRPG.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, this is it. Fingers crossed for tomorrow afternoon bringing some good news for Geno fans.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
How does it hint that?
The Japanese Twitter says something along the lines of.

"mainly for Fire Emblem: Three Houses
only related with Nintendo Switch
around 35 minutes
New information on applications for smartphones is not included.
May contain age-restricted content."

D

Deleted member

around 35 minutes
I see. Thanks

Ovaltine

Smash Master

around 35 minutes
We wait so long for a direct and it's going to be a mainly Fire Emblem direct?

G-Gee... thanks, Nintendo...

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So it seems both Polar's source and King Zell were right about the date. Now we just wait for the content. Most people are betting on the Prime Trilogy and the Wii U port at the very least.
Was it you that said something along the lines of someone claiming "smash will be the first thing in the direct" do you think that still holds any water? Because it feels like it would be a FE character if it is a FE focused direct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty sure Edelgard doesn't fit the stats of Brave either, and the Japanese twitter account may be wrong.
That's a fair point. While nothing confirms Brave will be the next fighter revealed, it's a fair assumption that they probably have more progress on Brave to announce them. Last minute anxieties are real.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I want Erdrick. Will laugh if we get Edelgard
Sakurai: Now, before we begin with the ribbon-cutting, I'd like to announce the name of our new character.
Erdrick: Yay! Yeah! Yeah! Now we're talking! Yeah!
Sakurai: Yes. Well, anyway... The new character is a loyal, highly skilled fighter.
Erdrick: Yes.
Sakurai: The obvious choice for the spot.
Erdrick: He's right.
Sakurai: A name you all know. It starts with an E.
Erdrick: That's me.
Sakurai: Please welcome our new fighter...Edelgard von Hresvelgr!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want details on Joker, the 2nd DLC character reveal, and Luigi's Mansion 3 stuff

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure Edelgard doesn't fit the stats of Brave either, and the Japanese twitter account may be wrong.
Wait, runaround me with that. What's up with the Japanese twitter account? What account and what did it do?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sakurai: Now, before we begin with the ribbon-cutting, I'd like to announce the name of our new character.
Sakurai: Yes. Well, anyway... The new character is a loyal, highly skilled fighter.
Best timeline.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Starts with E.

EL GENO
okstop

D

Deleted member

It's what MissingGlitch claims.
Oh okay. If that's the case, keep your head in gear, y'all.

We know a portion is going to be dedicated to Three Houses anyways because the last time it was talked about was when it was revealed at E3. What that spells for Edelgard is iffy. For one, Corrin was revealed six months after Fates was released in Japan, which means some (Japanese) people already had exposure to the game as is. The only time a character was truly revealed before their game came out was Roy, to my knowledge. You know, a character that was added almost 20 years ago.

Plus you bring up a good point. Brave is most likely to be the next character revealed given it actually seems to have coded evidence of its progress. Edelgard doesn't fit Brave to my understanding.

The direct will probably have like, 5-10 minutes dedicated to FE Three Houses at most. I wouldn't say this is the end. That still leaves us with 25 minutes of direct goodness if you aren't an FE fan. Probably 5-7 minutes for Joker, depending on how long is gameplay trailer may be.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Wait, guys, I figured out who Brave actually is. If you've seen Disney's Brave, you'd know that the defining point of the film is Merida's relationship with her mother, who gets turned into a bear. You know who else is a bear?
GU-HUH

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait, guys, I figured out who Brave actually is. If you've seen Disney's Brave, you'd know that the defining point of the film is Merida's relationship with her mother, who gets turned into a bear. You know who else is a bear?
GU-HUH
Man, I wish. If Banjo ended up being Brave, I think I'd end up passing out. I'd have a coronary before I'd even have the chance to play as him.

He'd also dethrone K. Rool as my main. Only Banjo and Geno would be capable of doing that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom