• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, isn't this coming from the same game informer guy that said mother 3 was canceled due to potential controversy?
Maybe but it may be referring to a while back instead of recently.

I don't see why it'd be canceled just now after 12 years.

Nintendo being afraid of controversy, though...they must be really paranoid and anyone who freaks out over this game is dumb.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm even starting to doubt we'll get that much of a bone now. No Mii costume, no playable character, no facsimile of anything playable — just a spirit and that's it.

Urgh. Sorry, I had a horrible night last night, so on top of the Direct coming with likely Smash news, I'm just a glass case of bitterness and cynicism.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
This is it.

We're getting Mother 3.
When Mother 3 is finally localized it'll for sure be a big moment in gaming history.

Anyway, definitely gonna have a celebratory smoke sesh with some buds if Geno, Banjo, Ninten, or Conker are announced tomorrow. Those are the main four characters I'd still like to see. Throughout DLC season I've practically strayed away from most leaks (still don't see how people have faith in leakers after Grinch) so while most people will be expecting someone like Erdrick I'll be a clean slate expecting a surprise. Anything can happen tomorrow.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The senior editor of Game Informer just took to Twitter and said that tomorrow's Direct is going to be a big one. Polar Panda called this to our Discord's attention because supposedly the guy is about as straight of an arrow as you can get and doesn't wantonly hype things. Doesn't mean Smash but Nintendo looks to be dropping some major bombshells tomorrow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1095365057246949376
-Smash reveal that will make the whole world go WHOA
-Metroid Prime Trilogy announcement

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That implies anybody at Nintendo wants to or is planning to make Mother 4. Itoi is done with the series and has been vocal about that.
I'm referring to the fangame.

Although I guess it's not going to be called Mother 4 anymore (yet Cognitive Dissonance was just fine...).

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I'm even starting to doubt we'll get that much of a bone now. No Mii costume, no playable character, no facsimile of anything playable — just a spirit and that's it.

Urgh. Sorry, I had a horrible night last night, so on top of the Direct coming with likely Smash news, I'm just a glass case of bitterness and cynicism.
It'd be weird to me to get the costume again because we're paying money for something we bought last game, yet I don't think he'd totally eschew bringing Geno into the game when he went to those lengths to get the costume and talked about how he wanted him playable.

I sort of have a pet theory that the costume had low sales and showed Sakurai that the Geno fanbase is more niche than he thought.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
That implies anybody at Nintendo wants to or is planning to make Mother 4. Itoi is done with the series and has been vocal about that.
Yeah definitely no Mother 4 unless Itoi changes his mind. It's been 13 years, I don't think he will.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The senior editor of Game Informer just took to Twitter and said that tomorrow's Direct is going to be a big one. Polar Panda called this to our Discord's attention because supposedly the guy is about as straight of an arrow as you can get and doesn't wantonly hype things. Doesn't mean Smash but Nintendo looks to be dropping some major bombshells tomorrow.

I hope to God one of those bombshells is Super Mario 3D World, the time is ripe for it.

I'm referring to the fangame.

Although I guess it's not going to be called Mother 4 anymore (yet Cognitive Dissonance was just fine...).
Assuming the staff doesn't end up throttling each other and crumbling…

That said, I'm of the belief that Nintendo doesn't go after a fangame unless A) it's heavily advertised or B) coincidentally related to something they're already planning to put out (e.g. Samus Returns).

Compare that to SE imediately sniping any Chrono Trigger/Radical Dreamers fan project that dares to even exist.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I sort of have a pet theory that the costume had low sales and showed Sakurai that the Geno fanbase is more niche than he thought.
Frankly, that would piss me right off if Nintendo and Square decided to allow the costume to gauge how much money Geno would make them... on a freaking dying system that sold poorly. Ah, yes, because that will accurately reflect your sales numbers then.

That would be a fat load of bull, and if that ever ends up getting confirmed, I'll be legitimately infuriated.

D

Deleted member

It'd be weird to me to get the costume again because we're paying money for something we bought last game, yet I don't think he'd totally eschew bringing Geno into the game when he went to those lengths to get the costume and talked about how he wanted him playable.

I personally doubt that Theory cause during the Smash Ballot I wanted K. Rool and when his Mii costume was shown off I didn't buy it yet I bought the Geno one despite not knowing the character all too well which I have to assume plenty of people did as well based off of my experience. The Costume just looked cool which I'm sure enticed plenty to buy it.

If we Don't get Geno I just have to assume that Square either does not care about Geno or simply wants to represent their big franchises before bringing in a One-Shot character of theirs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I personally doubt that Theory cause during the Smash Ballot I wanted K. Rool and when his Mii costume was shown off I didn't buy it yet I bought the Geno one despite not knowing the character all too well which I have to assume plenty of people did as well based off of my experience. The Costume just looked cool which I'm sure enticed plenty to buy it.

If we Don't get Geno I just have to assume that Square either does not care about Geno or simply wants to represent their big franchises before bringing in a One-Shot character of theirs.
At this rate, even Bub and Space Invader would end up getting in before Geno...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not to dunk on Erdrick fans but this is a good point. Dragon Quest never shows up in fan polls, while Cloud's inclusion was entirely motivated by his strong fanbase.

Not saying Dragon Quest doesn't deserve to be in or anything, it has the legacy and all, but the whole franchise doesn't seem to have been asked for as much as Geno, one character from one game.
Just thought I would mention to you and ForsakenM ForsakenM that DQ is much bigger than persona :/
I think there's a few reasons why we dont see DQ a lot.

One the reasons, I think, we didn't see a lot of votes japan makes up a big chunck of the fanbase, and we only have small samples of their votes, and second is that it's not like FF where 7 is a lot more popular and is easier to focus on one character more than the rest, and third is the timing, in that DQ11 is actually really recent, and before that we hand't had an actual protagonist for almost a decade; in DQ9 you created your own character, and DQ10 was an mmo, so created as well.

Anyway. There's no reason to try to put down a francise. Persona is niche, and there's lots of people who dont know it, but it's still cool that it got a character in. I say it's funner to enjoy what the characters have to bring.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Assuming the staff doesn't end up throttling each other and crumbling…

That said, I'm of the belief that Nintendo doesn't go after a fangame unless A) it's heavily advertised or B) coincidentally related to something they're already planning to put out (e.g. Samus Returns).

Compare that to SE imediately sniping any Chrono Trigger/Radical Dreamers fan project that dares to even exist.
yeah I feel like the only fangames that get taken down by Nintendo are huge ones like Pokemon (Uranium is still available anyway, thanks fandom), although I'm sure that's more-so the Pokemon Company themselves, but the other Mother fangames were never taken down, I feel like the work the Mother 4 team is putting into rebranding and redoing things because of the rebrand may be unnecessary. I wouldn't even be surprised if Nintendo couldn't actually take the game down without Itoi's input, and him allowing the fangame to exist.

That being said I'm sure it'll still be good, but I wish they could've kept some of the original Mother enemies and characters like Starmen and Mr. Saturn. They seem to still be working on it based on the fangame's subreddit, however they don't say anything about internal issues between each other or even act like there are any, so I can't tell what's going on with that. All I know is that apparently some guy they worked with, who left the team, leaked an outdated script or something on 4chan (just based on what I read today).

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Just thought I would mention to you and ForsakenM ForsakenM that DQ is much bigger than persona :/
I think there's a few reasons why we dont see DQ a lot.

One the reasons, I think, we didn't see a lot of votes japan makes up a big chunck of the fanbase, and we only have small samples of their votes, and second is that it's not like FF where 7 is a lot more popular and is easier to focus on one character more than the rest, and third is the timing, in that DQ11 is actually really recent, and before that we hand't had an actual protagonist for almost a decade; in DQ9 you created your own character, and DQ10 was an mmo, so created as well.

Anyway. There's no reason to try to put down a francise. Persona is niche, and there's lots of people who dont know it, but it's still cool that it got a character in. I say it's funner to enjoy what the characters have to bring.
I wasn't putting DQ down. I was saying that for as legendary a franchise as it is in Japan it still doesn't show up much in Japanese fan polls, with that one collection of polls by SourceGaming showing that there wasn't even a single character from the series when you'd think the country that lives and breathes the series would be all about getting it into Smash.

I'm certainly not going to brandish my torch and pitchfork if Erdrick/Luminary gets in, heck I'm lowkey down for Slime because they'd have a creative moveset. All I'm saying is that Dragon Quest and Smash Bros' fandom might not intersect as much as we'd think.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wasn't putting DQ down. I was saying that for as legendary a franchise as it is in Japan it still doesn't show up much in Japanese fan polls, with that one collection of polls by SourceGaming showing that there wasn't even a single character from the series when you'd think the country that lives and breathes the series would be all about getting it into Smash.

I'm certainly not going to brandish my torch and pitchfork if Erdrick/Luminary gets in, heck I'm lowkey down for Slime because they'd have a creative moveset. All I'm saying is that Dragon Quest and Smash Bros' fandom might not intersect as much as we'd think.
Well I gave some of the reasons for why I think that is.
But yeah it's true it hasn't been around smash speculation as much as some others. I saw a few persona fans around before, but it was pretty rare. It's possible people just didnt think it could happen, so weren't as vocal. I know that's the case for me and DQ. I've always been a fan but i didnt think they'd show up in smash. (I have a bit more hope for that now, obviously)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is it.

We're getting Mother 3.
I am on the choo choo train of hype.
That's why they announce something big like Mother 3.

@Zack E. back me up here.
When Mother 3 is finally localized it'll for sure be a big moment in gaming history.

Anyway, definitely gonna have a celebratory smoke sesh with some buds if Geno, Banjo, Ninten, or Conker are announced tomorrow. Those are the main four characters I'd still like to see. Throughout DLC season I've practically strayed away from most leaks (still don't see how people have faith in leakers after Grinch) so while most people will be expecting someone like Erdrick I'll be a clean slate expecting a surprise. Anything can happen tomorrow.
MOTHER 3

MOTHER 3

MOTHER 3 MOTHER 3 MOTHER 3

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
Last edited:

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
I think this may be for more info on the FF games coming to Switch
That's true, since FF VII is likely ready to go very soon, and the other FF's. I just want to hope for the best but not expect a ton lol, especially from SE

MattX20

Smash Hero
Frankly, that would piss me right off if Nintendo and Square decided to allow the costume to gauge how much money Geno would make them... on a freaking dying system that sold poorly. Ah, yes, because that will accurately reflect your sales numbers then.

That would be a fat load of bull, and if that ever ends up getting confirmed, I'll be legitimately infuriated.
Did you forget the interview that Sakurai gave after the Smash ballot closed in 2016 for Nintendo Dream? He said quite clearly that Geno still got a lot of requests. I don't think he would've mentioned that if he did that poorly overall.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I think this may be for more info on the FF games coming to Switch
Maybe that sweet FFVII Remake that nobody sees it coming
:p
But seriously, do not take this as merely port release dates being announced. Him taking that position is 100% a sign of something more meaningful to come. He doesn't usually engage like this unless something major for company is at play.
Be it a Smash DLC, FFVII Remake or the very likely TWETY sequel

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But seriously, do not take this as merely port release dates being announced. Him taking that position is 100% a sign of something more meaningful to come.
Be it a Smash DLC, FFVII Remake or the very likely TWETY 2
How do we know?

domriver

Smash Lord
O M G HYPE INTENSITY RISING..............................
so i am just gonna get off the PC and just patiently wait for tomorrow. :) see you all tomorrow AFTER the direct. ;D xD

EDIT: who am i kidding? I cant stay off of here i have to see the new leaks/and what not every now and then xD

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But seriously, do not take this as merely port release dates being announced. Him taking that position is 100% a sign of something more meaningful to come. He doesn't usually engage like this unless something major for company is at play.
Be it a Smash DLC, FFVII Remake or the very likely TWETY sequel
I am pretty sure that the next Kingdom Hearts game is going to be pretty much the next TWENY game. Nomura is already trying to make the next game FF13, so I can see it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
How do we know that it will be something more meaningful than more info on the FF titles coming to Switch?
Because as I stated in my previous post, after I edited it, he usually engages in non-S-E stuff if there's a significant announcement for the company.
He doesn't usually tread on old news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom