• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If there is a Fire Emblem character, I'm pretty sure it will be one that was established before 2017, since that's the time the DLC was likely chosen.

And, while it is a possibility, I think it's unlikely.

<33333333

And I thought about giving Geno a more prevalent role in the animation but there was already so much I tried to cover, I thought I'd save his time to shine for when I do Something About SMRPG (;
This will be the best one

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I just hope that with whatever characters they chose for DLC, they are ones that the majority of Smash fans care about. The huge fan-favorites we got this game were Ridley and King K. Rool, but I want to see them go down this path more and add more fan-favorites. Maybe Smash 4 messed with my head, but I can't shake the feeling that we're gonna get completely random people nobody asked for in addition to a new FE character. I don't know about you guys, but I honestly wouldn't doubt the inclusion of another FE character for DLC.
Frankly, my hopes are ridiculously low. They weren't that way for Sm4sh, though, and I think it's because the bar Sm4sh set wasn't so high.

1) Sm4sh just felt like a run of the mill Smash game. Ultimate/Special is, indeed, a special case. Everyone is here. Fan-favorites were added to the base game. Competitive is getting focused on. It felt like this game and, by proxy, its DLC would really be focusing on the fans, and,
2) They further asserted that with PR statements from Nintendo that the DLC would be 'must-haves for the fans'... yet the DLC seems like it'll be focusing on money-grabbing niches.

They opened up well with Joker, a character a lot of people approve of and are hyped about, but if the rumors about Erdrick and Steve are true, they objectively serve different niches that aren't quite 'what the fans wanted'. I'm not knocking on these characters or their fans, but let's be real: the fans they're supposed to be 'marketing to' aren't going to react that favorably. They're going to be like, "Steve? That character markets more to little kids new to Smash and his fewer, older fans. The fans wanted Banjo, though, right?" Seeing Erdrick, at the very least the west will just be like, "Another anime swordsman?! (Side note: I really hate this argument, but you know that's what the reaction will be.) What about Sora or Geno? The fans wanted them!"

Steve would be DLC because he'd garner a larger money pool, even if his inclusion would be controversial at best for the fans they're 'marketing to'.
Erdrick would be DLC to appease the east while marketing to the west, because DQ's presence in the west is lackluster. Square is going to want to make bank on that, and by proxy, Nintendo will want to, as well, given they're having DQ games on their systems. His inclusion will also be rather controversial, even though I honestly think DQ should have been in Smash a long time ago.

Now, would I be as irritated about this if the marketing, at least the western side of it, was different? No. Not at all. Like I said, if these characters get in, I'll be happy for their fans. I really would be. Steve has a lot of fans and Erdrick is especially appealing to the east. That being said, they're advertising to the wrong set of people, and the problem isn't inherently with their choices. It's with their misleading marketing, making it seem like it's for the core fan base rather than everyone. At least Reggie is more forthcoming about the fact that the DLC will be about branching out more, but he's just about the only one saying that. (Smart man, that Reggie. He's saying what they should have been from jump.)

I think... in terms of fans being rather annoyed with the way they're picking DLC, it's less entitlement (even if it can feel that way sometimes) and more being teased with something that isn't going to happen. The choices aren't inherently bad; it's the way they're presenting them. Nintendo is trash when it comes to marketing, that's for sure, and even Sakurai agreed that the marketing and order of reveals for Ultimate could have been better. I think that's why this is all so bothersome. If they hadn't been going all out with saying how much they're trying to appease the Smash fans in particular, things would be a lot calmer for a lot of people. Because of this, people who want fan favorites are annoyed, and people who want characters who aren't necessarily fan favorites are getting trashed because their picks might make it instead. Everyone is suffering as a result.

They just really should have handled their PR better.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Link, please!
You got it fams.

https://www.deviantart.com/lolmanda2nd/art/Requesto-March-Onward-Delayed-Light-Crusaders-774981319

If there is a Fire Emblem character, I'm pretty sure it will be one that was established before 2017, since that's the time the DLC was likely chosen.

And, while it is a possibility, I think it's unlikely.
And since Sakurai only focuses on lords, and the earliest elligible one is an AT, yeah, it is unlikely enough.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
I thought I'd save his time to shine for when I do Something About SMRPG (;
I'm probably not alone in this, but I'm hoping when (and if) Geno get's announced for DLC that we're treated to a "MFW Geno's Not NOT In Smash Bros Ultimate" video.

D

Deleted member

<33333333

And I thought about giving Geno a more prevalent role in the animation but there was already so much I tried to cover, I thought I'd save his time to shine for when I do Something About SMRPG (;
You GOTTA do something with SMRPG

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Frankly, my hopes are ridiculously low. They weren't that way for Sm4sh, though, and I think it's because the bar Sm4sh set wasn't so high.

1) Sm4sh just felt like a run of the mill Smash game. Ultimate/Special is, indeed, a special case. Everyone is here. Fan-favorites were added to the base game. Competitive is getting focused on. It felt like this game and, by proxy, its DLC would really be focusing on the fans, and,
2) They further asserted that with PR statements from Nintendo that the DLC would be 'must-haves for the fans'... yet the DLC seems like it'll be focusing on money-grabbing niches.

They opened up well with Joker, a character a lot of people approve of and are hyped about, but if the rumors about Erdrick and Steve are true, they objectively serve different niches that aren't quite 'what the fans wanted'. I'm not knocking on these characters or their fans, but let's be real: the fans they're supposed to be 'marketing to' aren't going to react that favorably. They're going to be like, "Steve? That character markets more to little kids new to Smash and his fewer, older fans. The fans wanted Banjo, though, right?" Seeing Erdrick, at the very least the west will just be like, "Another anime swordsman?! (Side note: I really hate this argument, but you know that's what the reaction will be.) What about Sora or Geno? The fans wanted them!"

Steve would be DLC because he'd garner a larger money pool, even if his inclusion would be controversial at best for the fans they're 'marketing to'.
Erdrick would be DLC to appease the east while marketing to the west, because DQ's presence in the west is lackluster. Square is going to want to make bank on that, and by proxy, Nintendo will want to, as well, given they're having DQ games on their systems. His inclusion will also be rather controversial, even though I honestly think DQ should have been in Smash a long time ago.

Now, would I be as irritated about this if the marketing, at least the western side of it, was different? No. Not at all. Like I said, if these characters get in, I'll be happy for their fans. I really would be. Steve has a lot of fans and Erdrick is especially appealing to the east. That being said, they're advertising to the wrong set of people, and the problem isn't inherently with their choices. It's with their misleading marketing, making it seem like it's for the core fan base rather than everyone. At least Reggie is more forthcoming about the fact that the DLC will be about branching out more, but he's just about the only one saying that. (Smart man, that Reggie. He's saying what they should have been from jump.)

I think... in terms of fans being rather annoyed with the way they're picking DLC, it's less entitlement (even if it can feel that way sometimes) and more being teased with something that isn't going to happen. The choices aren't inherently bad; it's the way they're presenting them. Nintendo is trash when it comes to marketing, that's for sure, and even Sakurai agreed that the marketing and order of reveals for Ultimate could have been better. I think that's why this is all so bothersome. If they hadn't been going all out with saying how much they're trying to appease the Smash fans in particular, things would be a lot calmer for a lot of people. Because of this, people who want fan favorites are annoyed, and people who want characters who aren't necessarily fan favorites are getting trashed because their picks might make it instead. Everyone is suffering as a result.

They just really should have handled their PR better.
I can't really agree with some of these statements. The overall PR for the game was some of the best I've seen from Nintendo. Despite how it often felt in the moment, they actually did a really great job of setting up this game to be the success it currently is from a mysterious reveal, to major coverage at E3 to considerably well paced reveals after then. They kept the game alive before release with a variety of showings and making sure that they were getting the actual game into the hands of the people. This was the shortest hype cycle for a Smash ever and I think they not only communicated that fact very well in an attempt to temper some expectations, but also made some of the best use of the time.

Now they did need a better editor for that last Direct honestly given the 40 minutes wasn't used particularly well, but that's relatively minor. They probably should have switched reveals around so Incineroar wasn't last, but I do in some ways understand why they did that. Those were the only problems with the PR cycle this time around. It was leagues better than past Smash games (With massive dead periods, seriously Smash 4 E3 2013 to December 2013 went without anything of substance for us) and generally better for a company that can often be painfully slow and uninformative on how things are being handled. Smash Ultimate's PR shouldn't be looked as a failure given how genuinely well it was all around handled and what it did for the game especially.

Now, the thing is, that perspective shifts depending on how deep you are in/were in speculation for the game is a general trend I've noticed. And Smash Ultimate has a little more entitlement going around than I think some of us want to admit. We're massive fans who dedicate hours to predictions, discussions, and all around Smash hype. We're the hardest to please group by the nature of how much we pay attention to things and how passionately we can get behind certain ideas.

The idea that Smash Ultimate was going to be a complete fan fulfillment was misplaced at best and the narrative that has been created of the fans "being teased" needs to stop. The base game has everything you mentioned about fan fulfillment and pays so much more attention to so many of the things the collective community has been asking for that it absolutely was made around fulfillment in the current state. But you're never going to get everything in a game. I've talked about it before, but I'll do so again with how much fan fulfillment is in this game:

1. Faster Gameplay with more advanced techniques on offer.
2. Custom Rule Sets that can be saved.
3. Making Classic Mode Interesting again.
4. Including a lengthy single player portion (Regardless of your opinion on World of Light, it specifically fills a desire several fans have had for years).
5. Massive stage roster with updated graphics and including fan favorites.
6. No cuts from Smash 4 including DLC.
7. Returning Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur - All characters that had ballot presence, sometimes at the top.
8. Including Ridley, Simon Belmont, Inkling, King K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Chrom - All characters that had ballot presence again from what we generally know.

That's a pretty hefty list of not-insignificant requests and ideas that have been implemented in to the game. Hell, they just showed us patch notes which we never thought we'd get in a million years. Not to mention all of this in an era when games are so monetized and made with meager amounts of content???

My point being, they did plenty to live up their idea and premise of Ultimate/Special. Maybe not everyone's character got in, but they did a lot of work and executed a clear fan focused vision. The problems start when people start to take this as not enough or indicative of being "snubbed." There was no promise or even tease of every fan favorite character getting in, just the possibilities were slightly elevated for some bigger names. While nice and possibly inspiring to a portion of those fan bases, taking that as anything more rests mostly on the shoulders of those fans. The attacks from fans on less popular characters obviously also lies upon those same fans making those attacks.

They didn't really promise anything for DLC as well. One representative saying that the lineup will be full of "must-haves" and the "fans will love it" (Or however the comments were originally stated) doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot than that representative is excited and sees the characters as such. We're such a wide and diverse fan base that of course everyone is going to take that statement differently. There's the forum fans, then there's the greater Smash fan base as well to consider. Big name third party characters will likely fit that description as well. They just appear less pleasing as some people realize that likely means X-character didn't make it in the game and some fans are very against such choices for that reason (And I think a lot of hate stems less from the character themselves, and more from "this character isn't MY character").

dalolman

Smash Cadet
I honestly hate the order of Ultimate reveals. No doubt Incineroar should have been among the first newcomers to be revealed, because a Pokemon newcomer is a given, obviously. Honestly the ones that should have been last should have been Simon/Richter/K. Rool.

All reveals from Smash 4 up to Ultimate were kinda out of left field for me, I have a very small list of characters I actually want, and even then I don't get too hyped.
The one exception being PAC-Man, cause holy crap I did not expect that. Ultimate's exception is Isabelle because who doesn't want to play as her? Also I accidentally predicted her being playable. That and Duck Hunt, Doc, G&W, and R.O.B. not being cut made me happy. 4's DLC lineup didn't excite me as much because they were all from games I never played.

If Geno doesn't work out, I'm banking on Bill from Contra.

<33333333

PLEASE DO IT.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can't really agree with some of these statements. The overall PR for the game was some of the best I've seen from Nintendo. Despite how it often felt in the moment, they actually did a really great job of setting up this game to be the success it currently is from a mysterious reveal, to major coverage at E3 to considerably well paced reveals after then. They kept the game alive before release with a variety of showings and making sure that they were getting the actual game into the hands of the people. This was the shortest hype cycle for a Smash ever and I think they not only communicated that fact very well in an attempt to temper some expectations, but also made some of the best use of the time.

Now they did need a better editor for that last Direct honestly given the 40 minutes wasn't used particularly well, but that's relatively minor. They probably should have switched reveals around so Incineroar wasn't last, but I do in some ways understand why they did that. Those were the only problems with the PR cycle this time around. It was leagues better than past Smash games (With massive dead periods, seriously Smash 4 E3 2013 to December 2013 went without anything of substance for us) and generally better for a company that can often be painfully slow and uninformative on how things are being handled. Smash Ultimate's PR shouldn't be looked as a failure given how genuinely well it was all around handled and what it did for the game especially.

Now, the thing is, that perspective shifts depending on how deep you are in/were in speculation for the game is a general trend I've noticed. And Smash Ultimate has a little more entitlement going around than I think some of us want to admit. We're massive fans who dedicate hours to predictions, discussions, and all around Smash hype. We're the hardest to please group by the nature of how much we pay attention to things and how passionately we can get behind certain ideas.

The idea that Smash Ultimate was going to be a complete fan fulfillment was misplaced at best and the narrative that has been created of the fans "being teased" needs to stop. The base game has everything you mentioned about fan fulfillment and pays so much more attention to so many of the things the collective community has been asking for that it absolutely was made around fulfillment in the current state. But you're never going to get everything in a game. I've talked about it before, but I'll do so again with how much fan fulfillment is in this game:

4. Including a lengthy single player portion (Regardless of your opinion on World of Light, it specifically fills a desire several fans have had for years).
7. Returning Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur - All characters that had ballot presence, sometimes at the top.
8. Including Ridley, Simon Belmont, Inkling, King K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Chrom - All characters that had ballot presence again from what we generally know.

That's a pretty hefty list of not-insignificant requests and ideas that have been implemented in to the game. Hell, they just showed us patch notes which we never thought we'd get in a million years. Not to mention all of this in an era when games are so monetized and made with meager amounts of content???

My point being, they did plenty to live up their idea and premise of Ultimate/Special. Maybe not everyone's character got in, but they did a lot of work and executed a clear fan focused vision. The problems start when people start to take this as not enough or indicative of being "snubbed." There was no promise or even tease of every fan favorite character getting in, just the possibilities were slightly elevated for some bigger names. While nice and possibly inspiring to a portion of those fan bases, taking that as anything more rests mostly on the shoulders of those fans. The attacks from fans on less popular characters obviously also lies upon those same fans making those attacks.

They didn't really promise anything for DLC as well. One representative saying that the lineup will be full of "must-haves" and the "fans will love it" (Or however the comments were originally stated) doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot than that representative is excited and sees the characters as such. We're such a wide and diverse fan base that of course everyone is going to take that statement differently. There's the forum fans, then there's the greater Smash fan base as well to consider. Big name third party characters will likely fit that description as well. They just appear less pleasing as some people realize that likely means X-character didn't make it in the game and some fans are very against such choices for that reason (And I think a lot of hate stems less from the character themselves, and more from "this character isn't MY character").
Very well put.

One thing that has been fairly consistent throughout the years is the sky-high expectations that people have, without realising that it's actually quite difficult to both please as many people as possible, while still acknowledging noteworthy characters of recent times, AND throw in an oddball or two to keep things interesting gameplay-wise, with making sure the games safely come out on top of all that (and I fail to see why people still think every roster, base or DLC, will have a hype finish, when that has never really happened, capping things off with someone you wouldn't expect too strongly has arguably been a tradition since Luigi in 64). Not to mention third-party negotiations that have to be done to get any of their stuff approved. That some characters manage to be brought in to please said people is nothing short of a miracle to start with, when you consider the factors that occasionally keep those from getting in earlier.

The stated intent this time is that everyone that's ever been playable before is here, not that everyone that's ever been asked for is coming. And they certainly delivered in bringing back everyone, even folks that weren't necessarily the most appreciated. Regardless of the tight schedule for making the game, this is the one aspect that needed to be pulled off the most.

And it's hard to deny that regardless of any warts and all, many things have still been taken into consideration, as you said. :ultganondorf: has his sword, gameplay speed is a little faster again, air dodging is more viable than ever, there's even the ability to play any series song into related series stages if you so choose.

What is not okay is when some people take advantage of the hype to lure fans into paying attention to their fake leaks, for the sake of 15 minutes of fame. It sickens me that they get away with it their hands clean, while the fans end up being let down by "false promises" that were never even there to begin with.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Just curious did anyone else here participate in the Nintendo Open tournament currently happening? I got a bye the first round won the second and lost the third lol

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
How would guys feel if we got the Geno Mii Costume again, instead of just his hat, it would be a full head piece of his whole head?
Well, Mr. Compress, I think that'd actually be pretty cool, but it would still hit me hard. It'd hit me hard because of all this long evidence and speculation would go to the dust if the Mii costume came back. We don't know if Mii costumes disconfirm characters or not, but I lean on the side that they do because of Rex's Mii costume. But a Geno Mii costume upgrade would still be cool.
I think more DLC is likely, it would be a dumb decision to not give more DLC to this game as I doubt we'd be getting a Super Smash Ultimate 2: Electric Boogaloo addition like we probably are for Odyssey.
Anyway here's a meme I'd think you guys would enjoy.
View attachment 189857
I like your meme, but I'd take it easy. While I do not like Erdrick at all, I absolutely don't like him at all, he has some fans and we shouldn't bash his character's fanbase like this. Erdrick and Geno also have major roles in their games, one being the main protagonist of DQ3 and one being a main protagonist of Super Mario RPG. I absolutely agree that Geno's design and character is more unique, but still, we need to take it easy and don't need to bash Erdrick or his fans like this. We shouldn't show hostility nor toxicity towards each other. Other than that, cool meme!
You know, I knew Geno was heavily requested and popular (at least within the Smash community) and I am totally okay with his inclusion as Super Mario RPG is great and I like puppets and marionettes and stuff... I just didn't realize how popular he was (again, within the community at least). Every other person I fight against online has a Geno avatar. I think it will be unfortunate if he isn't playable. Seems like it would make a lot of people happy.
You don't know how much this means to us, Reila. It's really a shame some of us fans get hated on because of one fan out of the blue, but oh well, we just have to deal with it. Anyway, thank you so much! :)

Haha, I wonder if you've encountered me online, because I've always had my profile icon as Geno since the game came out.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

The pacing was infinitely better than Sm4sh's hype cycle, but with that said, the order of reveals made it all feel like a kind of moot point. The lull period between the Belmont + K. Rool reveal and the direct after Isabelle's reveal was torturous, and not because we hadn't gotten new info. Isabelle was kind of a given and wasn't the most hype addition (even though the AC reveal was insanely awesome). I actually was on Team Fake on the Grinch leak, as well, so it wasn't colored or compounded by that happening amidst it all. All that needed to be fixed there would have made all the difference: reveal order.

Ending off on Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. Honestly, ending off on a show stopper would have been better and it would have kept expectations tempered better. Revealing Ridley first and K. Rool last, that tiny little switcharoo, could have made all the difference. Those two were the biggest fan favorites included, I feel, the two 'never evers'. Having the load blown so early with both of them didn't help with expectations, and the 40 minute direct made it seem like we'd get a really interesting show-stopper when we... really didn't.

To think all of that could have been fixed just be adjusting reveal order.

That's fair, yeah, and honestly, I personally don't mind the base game. It's a little more citing what other people found to be problematic, some of which I agree with, but they could always add more of that in future updates.

Oh, no, I know full well that it isn't possible that everyone's favorites won't get in. It's more the notion that continuing a game made for the fans with DLC that feels admittedly tone-deaf doesn't really click with me. It's logically going to make some upset fans. I don't blame Sakurai and company for this, for the record, as I feel they did plenty for us. I mostly blame higher corporate for this, as it feels like more of a money-driven decision than the original vision for Ultimate was. Sakurai has a passion for his fans; NoJ, as far as I can tell, is hit or miss in that regard.

Otherwise, though, I can see your points, but I guess I just can't shake my bitterness over the situation that is, once again, not even directed at the Ultimate team themselves. It's kind of a hot mess with corporate in my mind, but I guess it's also not easy to make appeasing PR statements that won't disappoint. Not everyone can be pleased. I think I'll have to just agree to disagree, at least on the DLC side of things.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
<33333333

Something About Super Mario RPG ANIMATED (Loud Sound Warning)? I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT! :)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I honestly hate the order of Ultimate reveals. No doubt Incineroar should have been among the first newcomers to be revealed, because a Pokemon newcomer is a given, obviously. Honestly the ones that should have been last should have been Simon/Richter/K. Rool.

All reveals from Smash 4 up to Ultimate were kinda out of left field for me, I have a very small list of characters I actually want, and even then I don't get too hyped.
The one exception being PAC-Man, cause holy crap I did not expect that. Ultimate's exception is Isabelle because who doesn't want to play as her? Also I accidentally predicted her being playable. That and Duck Hunt, Doc, G&W, and R.O.B. not being cut made me happy. 4's DLC lineup didn't excite me as much because they were all from games I never played.

If Geno doesn't work out, I'm banking on Bill from Contra.

PLEASE DO IT.
The big problem with that is how the rosters for Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate were all leaked before launch, with parts of Ultimate's roster leaking before the game's full title was revealed if you believe that Vergeben has accurate sources. (seeing as he said that all of the Smash 4 veterans, Ice Climbers, and Snake would return, and Simon Belmont and Ridley would be added, all about a month before the "Everyone is Here" reveal - https://www.ssbwiki.com/list_of_rumors#Vergeben_leaks)

He later went on to leak Isabelle, Ken, and Incineroar, and by the time his claims really picked up traction, those were the only three left to be revealed. If they had left, say, Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon/Richter for the very end, the reaction wouldn't have been as intense because people would have figured that they were coming - there was a similar case back when Ryu was revealed, because dataminers had found that he was being added to Smash WELL in advance of his reveal.

Even if Vergeben hadn't leaked information on Ultimate, there was still the possibility that it could have wound up like Smash 4, where an ESRB employee leaked the entire game, including Shulk, Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Junior, and Dark Pit before it even came out. While the final reveals weren't as exciting as the earliest ones, I'd prefer that over long-awaited characters like Ridley and K. Rool being thoroughly leaked before they were properly revealed.

link2702

Smash Champion
I actually signed up for that Nintendo open but I work today and don’t get out till 1 more hour...

Though honestly after glancing at the ruleset I’m fine if I miss it. If i get in a match and lose to something stupid like someone getting all the at’s and pkmn spawn next to em, id be pissed....

Edit: on a side note; PLEASE GIVE US SOME KIND OF DIRECT NINTENDO! We’re starving for some sort of news...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if there aren't any fan favorite DLC characters (Geno or Banjo), I have to acknowledge that Nintendo and Sakurai listened to the fans with Ridley and K Rool. They are probably the 2 most requested Smash characters ever.

I really do hope that Geno and Banjo can be the Ridley and K Rool for wave 1 DLC, though. And I have faith that it will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Even if there aren't any fan favorite DLC characters (Geno or Banjo), I have to acknowledge that Nintendo and Sakurai listened to the fans with Ridley and K Rool. They are probably the 2 most requested Smash characters ever.

I really do hope that Geno and Banjo can be the Ridley and K Rool for DLC, though. And I have faith that it will happen.
If they aren't, we shouldn't keep our hopes down either, because they'll be great contenders for Smash 6, if not some other kind of revival.

Honestly, I was really harsh earlier, and I'm genuinely sorry for being so picky when Sakurai has given us so much. I think my mood has just been poor because my health has been, and I've been frustrated at just life in general. I still think the marketing for Ultimate could have gone better, but otherwise, I need to chillax, so I'll be taking some distance from the thread for a while. I'll peep in here and there, but I need to recuperate for the sake of my health anyhow.

Hang in there, Genobros and Genogals. Don't give up hope that he'll come back to us one day! Honestly, a revival outside of Smash, imo, would be even better!!

D

Deleted member

If they aren't, we shouldn't keep our hopes down either, because they'll be great contenders for Smash 6, if not some other kind of revival.

Honestly, I was really harsh earlier, and I'm genuinely sorry for being so picky when Sakurai has given us so much. I think my mood has just been poor because my health has been, and I've been frustrated at just life in general. I still think the marketing for Ultimate could have gone better, but otherwise, I need to chillax, so I'll be taking some distance from the thread for a while. I'll peep in here and there, but I need to recuperate for the sake of my health anyhow.

Hang in there, Genobros and Genogals. Don't give up hope that he'll come back to us one day! Honestly, a revival outside of Smash, imo, would be even better!!
There shouldn't be an apology for having an opinion, though. They are simply opinions of things you think could have been done better.

I'm hanging in there too :D

dalolman

Smash Cadet
The big problem with that is how the rosters for Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate were all leaked before launch, with parts of Ultimate's roster leaking before the game's full title was revealed if you believe that Vergeben has accurate sources. (seeing as he said that all of the Smash 4 veterans, Ice Climbers, and Snake would return, and Simon Belmont and Ridley would be added, all about a month before the "Everyone is Here" reveal - https://www.ssbwiki.com/list_of_rumors#Vergeben_leaks)

He later went on to leak Isabelle, Ken, and Incineroar, and by the time his claims really picked up traction, those were the only three left to be revealed. If they had left, say, Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon/Richter for the very end, the reaction wouldn't have been as intense because people would have figured that they were coming - there was a similar case back when Ryu was revealed, because dataminers had found that he was being added to Smash WELL in advance of his reveal.

Even if Vergeben hadn't leaked information on Ultimate, there was still the possibility that it could have wound up like Smash 4, where an ESRB employee leaked the entire game, including Shulk, Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Junior, and Dark Pit before it even came out. While the final reveals weren't as exciting as the earliest ones, I'd prefer that over long-awaited characters like Ridley and K. Rool being thoroughly leaked before they were properly revealed.
I'd like to say that Smash 4 had a better reveal sequence than Ultimate. Greninja was at least one of the first fighters revealed, and we've gotten some staple icons like Mega Man and PAC-Man thrown into the mix, with Mega being revealed after Villager.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
You know, I knew Geno was heavily requested and popular (at least within the Smash community) and I am totally okay with his inclusion as Super Mario RPG is great and I like puppets and marionettes and stuff... I just didn't realize how popular he was (again, within the community at least). Every other person I fight against online has a Geno avatar. I think it will be unfortunate if he isn't playable. Seems like it would make a lot of people happy.
I have a theory the GENO Avatar & Spirit are in there as a test to evaluate considering him for a DLC WAVE 2.

I bet they have analytics they’re using to discover his & others’ usage.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Everything will leak always, there’s nothing to be done about that.

But, if a leaker is saying a guy like K. Rool will be the final reveal, many will be inclined to be skeptical out of fear of being burned. Ultimately, leaks still keep everyone guessing due to the abundance of fake leaks.

And really, a leak can’t ruin a reveal. Simon was still hype as hell despite being 100% confirmed before his reveal, and if the Grinch leak had panned out, people would have still been blown away.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Maybe Smash 4 messed with my head, but I can't shake the feeling that we're gonna get completely random people nobody asked for in addition to a new FE character. I don't know about you guys, but I honestly wouldn't doubt the inclusion of another FE character for DLC.
Neither do I, especially since Corrin was Nintendo's move. Nintendo is probably going to choose big gaming icons for the 1st DLC wave. Master Chief, Joker, Banjo, Crash Bandicoot, etc. make sense, but there is a chance we might get a FE character. Most companies seem to do that, or just choose completely random, favorite out-of-the-blue character picks. Sakurai likes to keep his picks a mix between big icons and fan favorites, which is what I like about his choices. In a way, Geno is a gaming icon, coming from the final era from the SNES and starred in the first collaboration between two legendary companies, Nintendo and SquareSoft, also becoming one of the best games and favorite RPG games to date, but I mostly don't see him being chosen by Nintendo, unless something is going down like a SMRPG remake or sequel... hopefully it's one of these.
We can be sure about one thing: it won't be on a weekend.
Having Directs on Fridays would be the best thing ever. I get Subway like every Friday, so coming home from work one day just to watch the Direct and eating my sandwich would be nice. It's weird how they make Direct schedules while most people are still at work, school, or sleeping, but I believe it's because most of the time they're focused on Japan's time.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Having Directs on Fridays would be the best thing ever. I get Subway like every Friday, so coming home from work one day just to watch the Direct and eating my sandwich would be nice.
This is the purest and sweetest little reason to want Directs on a Friday. I'd love Directs to happen on a Wednesday because my mom gets home from work early at the time they'd be starting (12 PM EST). I can go scream at her about exciting new stuff so she can question why she even has me as a daughter in the first place.

(Okay, now I'll really take a break from the thread. Carry on.)

D

Deleted member

Having Directs on Fridays would be the best thing ever. I get Subway like every Friday, so coming home from work one day just to watch the Direct and eating my sandwich would be nice.
This man right here knows how to celebrate. You either eat some really tasty mac n' cheese or some good sandwiches.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I actually signed up for that Nintendo open but I work today and don’t get out till 1 more hour...

Though honestly after glancing at the ruleset I’m fine if I miss it. If i get in a match and lose to something stupid like someone getting all the at’s and pkmn spawn next to em, id be pissed....

Edit: on a side note; PLEASE GIVE US SOME KIND OF DIRECT NINTENDO! We’re starving for some sort of news...
Yeah that's pretty much what happened to me. It basically turned into a game of who can get to the ATs/pokeballs first. It was fun but at the same time I'm left wondering how much more fun it would've been with no items.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I really want to think it will be two newcomers for the hardcore smash fans. And two newcomers for the casuals. Joker is the standard WTF pick.

Banjo and Geno for us. And...whatever two characters casuals like I guess I don't know.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Fridays are when I but myself a small ice cream to celebrate surviving the work week haha.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I really want to think it will be two newcomers for the hardcore smash fans. And two newcomers for the casuals. Joker is the standard WTF pick.

Banjo and Geno for us. And...whatever two characters casuals like I guess I don't know.
Didn't PolarPanda mention one time that he heard about two DLC characters possibly being fan favorite picks? Geno and Banjo seem to fit those perfectly. And you're right, I don't think Joker is here for fan service, I think he's here for promotion (in a good way) because Persona 5 R is rumored to be coming to the Switch. But I like Joker because Sakurai likes him, he's here for his fans, and here's here to introduce us to another great gaming series.
Fridays are when I but myself a small ice cream to celebrate surviving the work week haha.
Which is where Dairy Queen comes in. :)
Yeah that's pretty much what happened to me. It basically turned into a game of who can get to the ATs/pokeballs first. It was fun but at the same time I'm left wondering how much more fun it wouldn't been with no items.
I'm one of those people that ignore the items because it's cheap, even if my opponent is trying to get them. If they try to grab the items, what I do is guard the items to piss them off or just throw the items off the stage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Crash Bandicoot is in the Fighter's Pass, I might get it just for him.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If Crash Bandicoot is in the Fighter's Pass, I might get it just for him.
If Nintendo's picking the DLC and Crash is coming to the Switch in any shape or form, I think he would be a front-runner for DLC. My friend wants Crash as DLC, and I'd be happy for him if he got what he wanted after many years.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Crash is REALLY likely with CTR being on switch. But sony have been kinda bad at everything lately so, who knows.

Still not buying anything till we get Banjo or Geno.

D

Deleted member

If Nintendo's picking the DLC and Crash is coming to the Switch in any shape or form, I think he would be a front-runner for DLC. My friend wants Crash as DLC, and I'd be happy for him if he got what he wanted after many years.
Well, there's the CTR remake coming to the Switch and his trilogy is on it too.

I feel like Crash is REALLY likely with CTR being on switch. But sony have been kinda bad at everything lately so, who knows.

Still not buying anything till we get Banjo or Geno.
Don't you mean Activision?

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
I feel like if they added Geno, they would go the easy route and give him no voice at all (which i'd be fine with, since a character's voice can be fragile) however, if he does have a voice actor, it needs to be samuel L jackson. nobody else.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I feel like if they added Geno, they would go the easy route and give him no voice at all (which i'd be fine with, since a character's voice can be fragile) however, if he does have a voice actor, it needs to be samuel L jackson. nobody else.
Square Enix: "Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word!"
Geno: "PLEASE! GOD DAMN IT!"

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Does anyone else get a surreal feeling looking at the smash roster when you realize a lot of the roster is from basically dead franchises.

It might be why it infuriates me when people use the relevancy argument. Especially with Geno.

Last edited:

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else get a surreal feeling looking at the smash roster when you realize a lot of the roster is from basically dead franchises.

It might be why it infuriates me when people use the relevancy argument. Especially with Geno.
They (those who argue relevancy) aren't completely wrong in saying that. The characters that are form "dead franchises" such as Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon and so forth, are all first party, owned entirely by Nintendo characters. All third party characters are from current active game series save for maybe Snake but that's a whole other ball of wax.

While I personally don't want relevancy to be a factor on whether or not a character should be included, it's (so far) clear that it does play a part when it comes to third party inclusions which is why I'm "banking" on: if Geno is to be added, it would be if/when Square announces whatever older games they're bringing back for the Switch as Geno would become incredibly relevant then (should SMRPG be included).

Last edited:

IronAidan07

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5749-4640-8009
Top 5 for DLC (In No Order)

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Banjo & Kazooie
4. Bandana Dee
5. Rex & Pyra

Status