• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I just played as Kirby and copied Piranha Plant. I have to say that I am not disappointed. Kirby looks really funny with the Piranha Plant copy. xD

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nothing means they wanted to reference SMRPG in a simple way.
That is much more-likely than either of the scenarios and is 99% the case, no way they think this is compensation when they've only done that with mii costumes, and it'd be really dumb for them to think this is legit compensation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it means that Geno is in or that Geno is not in
...You do realize this is a conclusion that requires no evidence to make, right? This is literally the case for any potential newcomer.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

That is much more-likely than either of the scenarios and is 99% the case, no way they think this is compensation when they've only done that with mii costumes, and it'd be really dumb for them to think this is legit compensation.
Eh, I don't think they would want to negotiate with Square ****ing Enix for a simple reference. I could see them adding that in because Geno is playable, or because they wanted to give more references as compensation for Geno not being playable

@Bolderousness no, what I mean is that if it meant nothing, it would just be a simple reference they done, not for the reason of compensation or hinting at Geno being playable, which I highly doubt. Since they did this, again, what I mean is that either it is hinting at Geno being DLC, or it means that they went through the effort to compensate for Geno not being pllayable

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Eh, I don't think they would want to negotiate with Square ****ing Enix for a simple reference. I could see them adding that in because Geno is playable, or because they wanted to give more references as compensation for Geno not being playable
Would Square own a piranha plant just 'cause it has an original name, though?

I also don't see why they'd demand so much money for...such a minor thing. I thought their only issues were music...?

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Oh my god Nintendo didn't send me the email for Piranha Plant I have to call customer service now ughhhh.

Anyway, in the spirit of frustration, my annoyance at Piranha Plant getting in over Geno just rekindled.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Would Square own a piranha plant just 'cause it has an original name, though?

I also don't see why they'd demand so much money for...such a minor thing. I thought their only issues were music...?
No, they wouldn't, but they can so easily own the name without owning the actual entity. With the way copyright works, afaik, that much makes sense. They don't own the plant and its design, necessarily, but they do own the name. It's much like how they created and own Boshi, but they don't own the design of Yoshi or anything else Yoshi-related at all. They have a copyright on the name.

A- At least, I... think that's how it works. Again, seriously, please correct me if I'm wrong on this!

D

Deleted member

No, they wouldn't, but they can so easily own the name without owning the actual entity. With the way copyright works, afaik, that much makes sense. They don't own the plant and its design, necessarily, but they do own the name. It's much like how they created and own Boshi, but they don't own the design of Yoshi or anything else Yoshi-related at all. They have a copyright on the name.

A- At least, I... think that's how it works. Again, seriously, please correct me if I'm wrong on this!
No, this is true. Megasmilax is 100% Square Enix property. PP isn't, but, again, Megasmilax, the name, is

D

Deleted member

@Bolderousness no, what I mean is that if it meant nothing, it would just be a simple reference they done, not for the reason of compensation or hinting at Geno being playable, which I highly doubt. Since they did this, again, what I mean is that either it is hinting at Geno being DLC, or it means that they went through the effort to compensate for Geno not being pllayable
Are you taking my use of the word "nothing" literally here? The conclusion you have made is the same conclusion we have made for the past 700 pages. Geno is in or he is not in. That means this little bit of evidence means nothing for our purposes of discussing Geno's chances. It's cool there's a reference to Super Mario RPG, but we've known before that references do not equal anything.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still don't see why fun references can't be seen as simply that instead of as hints or compensation - which is a theory.

It's why I wasn't sure Ninten could be Brave until the point about how Joker relates to "jack" and some stuff relating to how the stats fit him ('cause despite how I like Ninten I'm not gonna know how the stats fit other than the size); the rest seemed like theories with some straw grasps minus the stuff related to Iwata.

The only reason why I thought it could mean anything good for Geno is the same reason why we all thought Nintendo's tweet and the HQ app thing could mean good things for Geno.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lmao this is so true and it sucks so bad
Nah, at least it "deconfirms" Peachette. :4pacman:

But yeah, I was pretty much right. Nothing much making worth a fuss over. Though at least we do know they're willing to add new spirits every so often.

I still don't see why fun references can't be seen as simply that instead of as hints or compensation - which is a theory.

It's why I wasn't sure Ninten could be Brave until the point about how Joker relates to "jack," the rest seemed like theories with some straw grasps minus the stuff related to Iwata.

The only reason why I thought it could mean anything good for Geno is the same reason why we all thought Nintendo's tweet and the HQ app thing could mean good things for Geno.
Like all those times Smash is referenced subtly or not. It can very well mean "we love Smash Bros too" rather than "our main characters are definitely coming, you guys".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you taking my use of the word "nothing" literally here? The conclusion you have made is the same conclusion we have made for the past 700 pages. Geno is in or he is not in. That means this little bit of evidence means nothing for our purposes of discussing Geno's chances. It's cool there's a reference to Super Mario RPG, but we've known before that references do not equal anything.
I'm saying I think it either decreases Geno's chances or increases his chances. I don't think it doesn't have an impact on his chances

D

Deleted member

I'm saying I think it either decreases Geno's chances or increases his chances. I don't think it doesn't have an impact on his chances
Right. So a vague either-or scenario presents itself. We don't know how to confirm what the reference means. Therefore... (fill in the blank)

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. My takeaway is that they are still thinking of SMRPG. It doesn't affect Geno's chances either way.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Super Mario RPG references just means that Square-Enix got involved, at least with the Guidance. They own the character Megasmilax. The rest was probably just Sakurai or his team making the references, because they can.

This doesn't legitimately mean anything. But I do think if Geno isn't playable, he'll still be a Costume DLC.

D

Deleted member

For Geno, I think we will either get him as a DLC fighter or we don't get anything, not even the Mii costume.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Super Mario RPG references just means that Square-Enix got involved, at least with the Guidance. They own the character Megasmilax. The rest was probably just Sakurai or his team making the references, because they can.

This doesn't legitimately mean anything. But I do think if Geno isn't playable, he'll still be a Costume DLC.
I for one like the fact that Megasmilax hasn't been forgotten forever.

Well ****. I just checked the site and Super Smash Bros. itself has a Memories post!

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be clear, I don't think anyone is dumb for thinking this would be compensation, I just think whoever added it would be if they thought it as such.

In y'all's case, it'd be horrible compensation. For them to think it'd be good compensation (if it can even be called compensation), however, would be very dumb, because while a Mii Costume is close to a playable character (even though it's actually cosplay), this would be a minor reference. Even with the Spirits...you barely interact with them, you just send them off to do things like in Sun & Moon's Poke Pelago, while otherwise you equip them like tools.

I just think y'all are thinking too hard, it doesn't affect Geno's chances at all (other than maybe because they're acknowledging SMRPG so they might have some plans, but not because they're hints), they're just finally acknowledging SMRPG like they did with the tweet and the question in the HQ app.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Not exactly Geno related, but I'd think someone in here would possibly know, has the new update been datamined yet? I'm very curious as to what could've been changed to the fighter codes more specifically.

Also, I'm quite enjoying Piranha Plant! He's so fun! I like his blue and yellow alt a lot too! ;D

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I just think y'all are thinking too hard, it doesn't affect Geno's chances at all (other than maybe because they're acknowledging SMRPG so they might have some plans, but not because they're hints), they're just finally acknowledging SMRPG like they did with the tweet and the question in the HQ app.
I agree somewhat with that sentiment, especially in the case of Megasmilax as while one could easily see that as a little, nudge nudge wink wink towards SMRPG and its potential inclusion in the game as a whole, given the context it was given it's more likely to just be another name rattled off in a long list of names as part of the joke.

The tweet on the other hand, now that's incredibly suspicious, mostly because a 22nd anniversary is generally something you don't go out of your way to wish someone or make any sort of commotion about. 20th makes sense, 25th makes sense, 22nd? Very, very, peculiar.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, not surprised a bunch of people already brought up the megasmilax mention in the guidance.

I don't know if these references mean anything for geno in Smash. the singing plants is interesting but I don't know about the guidance. yeah they brought up mega smilax, but they brought up a ****load of other kinds of Pirahna plants, and ones from other Mario RPGs I think as well I think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, not surprised a bunch of people already brought up the megasmilax mention in the guidance.

I don't know if these references mean anything for geno in Smash. the singing plants is interesting but I don't know about the guidance. yeah they brought up mega smilax, but they brought up a ****load of other kinds of Pirahna plants, and ones from other Mario RPGs I think as well I think.
The only notable thing is that Square-Enix owns that character, so they had to okay that.

But that's kind of it. Of course they'd talk to them first. It's not the fact a SMRPG got mentioned, it's that SE had to be involved that makes it noteworthy. Not that I think it means anything, though. SE would be involved with any of their IP's in any content, either way. It's a given.

link2702

Smash Champion
Ok at this point I have two theories...a bad/sad one and a good one...

Sakurai desperately wanted to add geno, but couldn’t, so everything from the geno spirit, to the bowser theme being a remix of the already remixed smrpg bowser fight, to even the idea of spirits itself(puppet versions of playable characters being possessed by spirits) to the smrpg references in pp itself, are all his way of trying to “apologize” to geno fans and give us plenty of references to just say he knows we want him...

And the good one...these are all hints, directly to us, to keep our spirits up(pun intended) and that he’s in but just not ready.

Regardless of which one, I think we need to at least thank sakurai and not put anymore blame on him for geno’s absence, because it really feels like he wants us to know that he’s heard us and either plans to add him, or seriously wishes he could have.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Sakurai desperately wanted to add geno, but couldn’t, so everything from the geno spirit, to the bowser theme being a remix of the already remixed smrpg bowser fight, to even the idea of spirits itself(puppet versions of playable characters being possessed by spirits) to the smrpg references in pp itself, are all his way of trying to “apologize” to geno fans and give us plenty of references to just say he knows we want him...

And the good one...these are all hints, directly to us, to keep our spirits up(pun intended) and that he’s in but just not ready.

Regardless of which one, I think we need to at least thank sakurai and not put anymore blame on him for geno’s absence, because it really feels like he wants us to know that he’s heard us and either plans to add him, or seriously wishes he could have.
I can't say if he's in or out, but it could be either one. I would wait. I said something like this a month or so ago, about the Geno spirit being there just to keep us busy for now. Basically like a "Hold on, he's coming! Just give us some more time and he'll be here for real! As for now, take his spirit!"

But good theories, link.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Yeah, I'm positive that, if we don't get Geno, the reason is not Sakurai. It's clear that he's heard our voices, and he's stated that he's wanted Geno since Brawl. It's him and all of us that want him. If anyone is to blame for Geno possibly not making it, it's either NoJ or Square, most likely the latter.

link2702

Smash Champion
Crap... I’ve now got a dilemma...

I never got the email for pp even though I bought the digital version(lots of emails keep getting sent to junk lately, partly because i keep getting so much spam...) so I gotta figure out now how to fix that...

But I’ve still also got tons of replays left...some good ones too...and I’m currently uploading over 150+ on YouTube....

TBone06

Smash Ace
Man, I’ve missed a lot of time. Been busy with work, and I’ve been trying to get better playing online. Can’t say I’m a great player, but I’m still having fun. Honestly, I needed a break too, I was spending a lot of time here. But it’s great to see so much Geno love still. I’ve lost a lot of hope and optimism, but I’m glad to see the fight still being fought. Obviously no update is a good update, but I’m still doubtful. But I will forever root for him. Congrats on 700 pages!

D

Deleted member

Man, I’ve missed a lot of time. Been busy with work, and I’ve been trying to get better playing online. Can’t say I’m a great player, but I’m still having fun. Honestly, I needed a break too, I was spending a lot of time here. But it’s great to see so much Geno love still. I’ve lost a lot of hope and optimism, but I’m glad to see the fight still being fought. Obviously no update is a good update, but I’m still doubtful. But I will forever root for him. Congrats on 700 pages!
Hey man we missed you

I will never give up hope on him either

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Okay 1. Y’all lied to me and said PP was probably not going to be in the update so I went to a job info session and on a run with my friend like a productive member of society and don’t have my switch now I’m salty as ****

2. M E G A S M I L AX
Holy ****

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom