• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
700 pages! 'Grats, guys!

Also, okay, what the heck. Geno's and Mallow's spirits, the Megasmilax name drop, the singing plants...

Sakurai has to know he's being a massive tease right now. Isn't the name Megasmilax also copyrighted to Square, though? Do they just have a blanket allowance for SMRPG copyright in Ultimate? If they've come to that kind of agreement, that does look a lot better for Geno's prospects as DLC. He can just... be put right the heck in, almost like a first party. Doubt it, though, but if anyone has knowledge on how this stuff works, do inform me.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
700 pages! 'Grats, guys!

Also, okay, what the heck. Geno's and Mallow's spirits, the Megasmilax name drop, the singing plants...

Sakurai has to know he's being a massive tease right now. Isn't the name Megasmilax also copyrighted to Square, though? Do they just have a blanket allowance for SMRPG copyright in Ultimate? If they've come to that kind of agreement, that does look a lot better for Geno's prospects as DLC. He can just... be put right the heck in, almost like a first party. Doubt it, though, but if anyone has knowledge on how this stuff works, do inform me.
Megasmilax? Where does it say that?! :0

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Happy 700 pages fellow Geno-fans!

I'm loving the SMRPG references. Even if it doesn't point towards Geno specifically, it does show that they at least have SMRPG on the mind. Which is definitely worth something - means he's got his chance.

I wonder if 2.00 has some more info on "Brave...."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What does Megasmilax being referenced along with other Piranha Plant species mean? It can't mean that much if it's an attempt to fill out the Piranha Plant compendium. They wouldn't make an intentional hint in-game. That's just too easy.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What does Megasmilax being referenced along with other Piranha Plant species mean? It can't mean that much if it's an attempt to fill out the Piranha Plant compendium. They wouldn't make an intentional hint in-game. That's just too easy.
What it means to me is:
That name is copywritten by Square.

Just how many rights to SMRPG for Ultimate did they get? Why so much just for a bunch of teases?

D

Deleted member

Because Megasmilax is Square Enix property

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think it's really a hint, but since SMRPG isn't fully owned by Nintendo, it's cool to see more from it and references to it; it makes it seem like Geno has more of a shot.

Wow. She actually said Megasmilax. This is really interesting.
The signing Piranha Plants is one, but I'm not sure where I can find that picture. Is it some challenge?
You have to beat Piranha Plant's Classic Mode; it's in the credits.

D

Deleted member

What it means to me is:
That name is copywritten by Square.

Just how many rights to SMRPG for Ultimate did they get? Why so much just for a bunch of teases?
Implying they're teasing us to begin with. Could just be a fun reference to compensate for Geno not being in.

Because Megasmilax is Square Enix property
Yeah but they seem to already have the ability to use Geno and Mallow as spirits. They could probably grab one more name for reference. I'm doubtful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Implying they're teasing us to begin with. Could just be a fun reference to compensate for Geno not being in.

Yeah but they seem to already have the ability to use Geno and Mallow as spirits. They could probably grab one more name for reference. I'm doubtful.
Very true, but here's where my point is:

Why go out of their way to get the name for just a silly little reference? All that hassle for copyright for one tiny namedrop? It makes it seem more to me like they signed some kind of umbrella agreement with SMRPG's properties in Ultimate. Whether it means Geno is in or not is up in the air, but it seems they have the right to use more than we thought.

D

Deleted member

Guys, I would love to think all these references could be pointing towards Geno but the last time we thought something was pointing towards something was the DK pose and a Rhythm heaven rep didn't get in. I just have a gut feeling that this is all just to soften the blow of Geno not being in Smash. Sad but, That's what I think and if I'm wrong fantastic! I hope I'm wrong! I'm just gonna wait until something more damning comes out in favor of Geno.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Because Megasmilax was a boss and one of the piranha's names in Super Mario RPG, and that name is copyrighted by Square. It makes me wonder if Nintendo actually got the rights to use most of the SMRPG characters now, unless they bought their rights back in 2015, including Geno and Mallow.

Well, there's another pro for the list that goes to Geno. This is really interesting! Wow, who knew Piranha Plant would actually show us some hope?
Sakurai, you sonovabitch! I love you! :)

D

Deleted member

I don't think it means nothing. I think it is either more evidence the Geno is coming or an SMRPG reference to soften the blow of Geno not being in. Hopefully the former

D

Deleted member

Because Megasmilax was a boss and one of the piranha's names in Super Mario RPG, and that name is copyrighted by Square. It makes me wonder if Nintendo actually got the rights to use most of the SMRPG characters now, unless they bought their rights back in 2015, including Geno and Mallow.

Well, there's another pro for the list that goes to Geno. This is really interesting! Wow, who knew Piranha Plant would actually show us some hope?
Sakurai, you sonovabitch! I love you! :)
Hmm. I suppose it's too early to offer an opinion on the subject without more info relating to the dataminers.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't see how they could think small references would be compensation for a character not being playable.

It's more-likely just fun references they did since they have the rights to use SMRPG stuff, maybe because they're adding Geno or maybe because they're simply fun things to do.

The only "compensation" would be a mii costume.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Weird thing is..
In the classic mode you fight against all the newcomers for base roster and rathalos. MONSTER HUBTER REP INCOMING.. Or maybe geno due to the reference in the picture

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Hmm. I suppose it's too early to offer an opinion on the subject without more info relating to the dataminers.
All we just need to know is if the stats changed for Brave. I believe the height stays and never changes after updates, but let's see if the stats stayed the same or not.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it means nothing. I think it is either more evidence the Geno is coming or an SMRPG reference to soften the blow of Geno not being in. Hopefully the former
That's exactly what I mean when I said it might mean nothing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guys, I would love to think all these references could be pointing towards Geno but the last time we thought something was pointing towards something was the DK pose and a Rhythm heaven rep didn't get in. I just have a gut feeling that this is all just to soften the blow of Geno not being in Smash. Sad but, That's what I think and if I'm wrong fantastic! I hope I'm wrong! I'm just gonna wait until something more damning comes out in favor of Geno.
The thing is, that pose could have been just a coincidence. Even if that may seem unlikely to some, there is still some ambiguity to it. This is a direct and unmistakable name drop.

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking all of these Mario RPG references either A. Point towards Geno being in much later or B. Soften the blow of Geno not being in. Here's to hoping it's A.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm thinking all of these Mario RPG references either A. Point towards Geno being in much later or B. Soften the blow of Geno not being in. Here's to hoping it's A.
Pretty much. Either way, it's definitely a really neat point of intrigue that they have more rights to use SMRPG's assets than we thought. For stingy Square to be allowing that is fascinating for Geno's and Mallow's prospects, even outside of Smash itself. It gives me a bit more hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll come back to us one way or another...

D

Deleted member

That's exactly what I mean when I said it might mean nothing.
No, I mean that I think it could mean that Geno is not in. Like them adding a reference because they couldn't make Geno playable.

I think it means that Geno is in or that Geno is not in, rather than nothing. Nothing means they wanted to reference SMRPG in a simple way.

D

Deleted member

The thing is, that pose could have been just a coincidence. Even if that may seem unlikely to some, there is still some ambiguity to it. This is a direct and unmistakable name drop.
Maybe so but I'll just wait and see before I get my hopes up again as I refuse to get BTFO'd again.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
It's pretty crazy that Megasmilax got a reference. Mainly because it sounds nothing like any of the other Piranha Plant species.
30421922740_b980666eda_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom