• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I would accept literally anyone for Geno at this point. I would even give up Banjo (I'm so sorry Banjo..) and let Steve be in if it meant Geno would also be in. At least if Steve gets in that raises Banjo's chances for a Season 2 or Smash 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

4th party characters getting in would greatly decrease the chances of 3rd party and Nintendo characters because that's all most people we would want if that ever becames a thing. And it shouldn't for that reason alone.
And that's why I say I would accept them if it means that Geno gets in :)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I wouldn't expect anything out of this update other than some character changes, bug fixes, and for Piranha Plant to drop. Anything more is just setting yourself up for disappointment, as I feel something like a new mode would have been teased beforehand rather than just being dropped on us out of the blue. I'm open to the idea of modes being added in future updates, but for this one, don't get too excited. Plus, they've already skipped over numbers for updates that were relatively minor anyway - they jumped from 1.1.0 directly to 1.2.0 for an update that was mostly obscure bug fixes that we still don't fully know what was changed. We're already on a higher version number than Smash 4 ever got to, and we've only seen three patches so far. What I'm saying is, version numbers are mostly arbitrary, so don't use them as a basis on which to believe something huge is coming.
On that note, holy cow, I missed out on some quality discussion. Now I wonder what people in this thread imagine me as...

D

Deleted member

Hey, maybe with mods you could. Mods will definitely give us Geno if we don't get him officially. (though mods are never as sweet as the real genuine movesets by Sakurai, I'm really curious what moveset he'd give him)

As someone who modded Brawl extensively, those were fun times. I made a Geno mod back in the day.
Either way, your dream of Ramna is pretty cool.
I still love seeing Geno in Legacy XP. Maybe when I learn how to mode games and stuff, I'll work on a Ranma mod

Also thank you

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
This new update could have something to do with the extra arrow on the stage select screen, like making your own stages with stage builder, which could be what this new update will add.
Now that I think about it, has anyone ever gotten the present icon in the vault menu to unlock? Because I haven't. It mentioned something about gifts or prizes from "special events".

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Oh boy. My profile picture must be a blast then.
**Cue the vampire music**
"HISSSSSSS!!!"
Hey, if we're talking about MOTHER kids, Masked Man would totally be a good addition to the roster. He'd at least have the possibility of breaking the PK spam player archetype you have an issue with. But I feel like the remaining solid Nintendo picks are passed in favor of hype third party picks.

Geno would hit both of those categories too, being both a Nintendo character and a third party pick....
Man, I really want Geno. It's been over a decade at this point.
Smash Kingdom is the only reason why I want Claus/Masked Man in. I want to see all four of these guys on Smash Ultimate's battlefield, and because of that, we'll also see the guy that does the Smash Kingdom sprite videos probably do like a reunion of this video, about all four of them making it in the game.

Hey, maybe with mods you could. Mods will definitely give us Geno if we don't get him officially. (though mods are never as sweet as the real genuine movesets by Sakurai, I'm really curious what moveset he'd give him)

As someone who modded Brawl extensively, those were fun times. I made a Geno mod back in the day.
Either way, your dream of Ramna is pretty cool.
I'd be careful when modding this time. Because the Switch is pretty secured by Nintendo, I wouldn't want to risk getting banned. I modded the hell out of SSB4 and made it a lot better, despite me not liking the game itself, but the only thing I want to mod in Ultimate is having access to fight on the boss stages (Ganon's stage, Dracula's stage, Marx's stage, Rathalos stage, etc.).
I would accept 4th party characters too if it means Geno gets in
I guess this means we're getting Mr. Incredible.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I will say one thing about the 4th party subject, if there was ever one deserving 4th party character to ever be in Smash, it would be James Bond or Scrooge McDuck.

I just need Geno (and Ninten) in.
If you say so. But I wouldn't want my most wanted characters like Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Krystal, Dixie Kong, Porky, and Pig Ganon all in if it meant 4th party characters would completely be taking over from now to the future.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Now that I think about it, has anyone ever gotten the present icon in the vault menu to unlock? Because I haven't. It mentioned something about gifts or prizes from "special events".
I got it. It can be unlocked if you play Pokémon Let's GO, Pikachu/Eevee, because that's where you receive the game spirits at. I also believe that's where Piranha Plant will be able to be unlocked at, same with the DLC characters.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Listen, I like you amigo, I really do. And when I say this, I mean this with no offense to you at all. But maybe don’t tag Papagenos in this post? Unless you’re trying to get him to help you with this issue, which in that case you might wanna try privately messaging him?

Again, I’m not saying this to put you down since, yeah, what the people in that discord are doing is bull****, but this might not be an issue that should be made public if you catch my drift.
I could care less if I get unbanned from that specific channel, it's still a cesspool. I tagged him so that he can know that it is such a cesspool and that proper mod work hasn't truly been done about it thus far. Every time he pops into the chat, either these guys aren't around/bail or they talk nicely with him and to others while he is around. Someone needs to do something about the toxicity in that channel, and my attempts to guide the mods into realizing what is going on and fixing it has not worked, so for the better of his community I tagged him.

D

Deleted member

Let's not call any character a waste of a slot for people who want them :)

I do agree though that we have a lot of FE and Pokemon characters and that other series should get some more reps

D

Deleted member

**Cue the vampire music**
"HISSSSSSS!!!"

Smash Kingdom is the only reason why I want Claus/Masked Man in. I want to see all four of these guys on Smash Ultimate's battlefield, and because of that, we'll also see the guy that does the Smash Kingdom sprite videos probably do like a reunion of this video, about all four of them making it in the game.

I'd be careful when modding this time. Because the Switch is pretty secured by Nintendo, I wouldn't want to risk getting banned. I modded the hell out of SSB4 and made it a lot better, despite me not liking the game itself, but the only thing I want to mod in Ultimate is having access to fight on the boss stages (Ganon's stage, Dracula's stage, Marx's stage, Rathalos stage, etc.).

I guess this means we're getting Mr. Incredible.
bold of you to assume thanos won't be the first 4th party character
rodion-vlasov-face1-2.jpg

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
I felt like dropping this for months but now I'm doing it cuz i'm bored. When Ultimate was announced, I immediately thought that it isn't complete without Geno and B-K. I've always kept the mentality that they needed to be in at this point, but even if they aren't, the game isn't ruined at all. However, in early 2018 I realized that the last time I saw SMRPG was chuggaaconroy's lp when I was like 10. So it made me realize that I wanted a character that I knew nothing about and that my only reason was "he looks cool". So during the summer I took the time to play SMRPG. And, as weird as this can sound, I honestly think that Geno's tools in the game wouldn't really fit well as a smash character. I think he would fit better as an assist trophy if they stayed 100% reliant on what he had in SMRPG. However, regardless of those thoughts. I still want him as a character. B-K are the completely undisputed #1 for me, but Geno has stayed a solid 2nd throughout all this time. Now, I can't really imagine one being in without the other.

D

Deleted member

Geno would not at all fit as an assist better than a character.

He wouldn't fit as an assist period.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Nah man Steve's inclusion would be golden, especially since "slots" aren't really a thing save for Pokémon and maybe Fire Emblem.

If Steve were added, he'd obviously have a unique moveset (he'd be brand-new DLC) and would probably attract all the Minecraft fans (bash the fanbase all y'all want, you're just showing your rudeness, bias and ignorance).

and mii costumes suck in the case of being a character graveyard (otherwise they're actually nice to have as a sort-of "compensation" I guess...if you don't have both the actual character and the costume instead...)
Man, I personally can't stand Minecraft and the culture surrounding it, but I really feel bad for those good people out there who want Steve. Not every Minecraft fan is like the rest, cackling over BTFO culture and spamming disgusting Steve models everywhere. (God damn those things are plug ugly holy moly.) For those genuine fans of Minecraft who ignore the negative aspects of its culture and just enjoy the game for what it is, I hope you get your guy, playable or Mii costume or whatever.

Honestly... it's kind of a lot like Geno's fanbase, really. 'Zoomers' hate Geno's fanbase, 'boomers' hate Steve's. In the end, though, some sour pickles don't make up the whole fanbases. As much as I have personal reasons for my dislike for Minecraft (which goes way beyond the game and goes into some... nasty stuff in my past), I respect Steve's fans who respect the fans of other characters. We can get along, you know?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No

Fire emblem and Pokémon are a total waste of slot
*sniff*

Man, I personally can't stand Minecraft and the culture surrounding it, but I really feel bad for those good people out there who want Steve. Not every Minecraft fan is like the rest, cackling over BTFO culture and spamming disgusting Steve models everywhere. (God damn those things are plug ugly holy moly.) For those genuine fans of Minecraft who ignore the negative aspects of its culture and just enjoy the game for what it is, I hope you get your guy, playable or Mii costume or whatever.

Honestly... it's kind of a lot like Geno's fanbase, really. 'Zoomers' hate Geno's fanbase, 'boomers' hate Steve's. In the end, though, some sour pickles don't make up the whole fanbases. As much as I have personal reasons for my dislike for Minecraft (which goes way beyond the game and goes into some... nasty stuff in my past), I respect Steve's fans who respect the fans of other characters. We can get along, you know?
thank you.

tbh though I see none of that stuff on the MC subreddit and YT, I thought it was just trolls on GameFaqs and 4chan :p all fanbases have a buncha bad eggs though unfortunately (except maybe the Kirby fanbase I've seen nothing negative from Kirby at all).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This. As much as I don't want a character, I think we should be respectful towards the fans of that character/thing

Ovaltine

Smash Master
thank you.

tbh though I see none of that stuff on the MC subreddit and YT, I thought it was just trolls on GameFaqs and 4chan :p
Man, I wish. They're everywhere. It's not just GF and 4chan. It's just... all over the place. Twitter's definitely another cesspool of that.

I wish more Steve fans were like you, into the idea of respecting one another's wants. It makes me sad that Steve is mostly associated with the 'bad fans' right now, just the same as Geno can be. It's all silly squabbling.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
4th party characters getting in would greatly decrease the chances of 3rd party and Nintendo characters because that's all most people we would want if that ever becames a thing. And it shouldn't for that reason alone.
So you would give up the chances of all video game characters from now to forever for Geno? I don't think any character would be worth that bargain.
Yeah, that's the thing.

People go "pfft, they can include licensed characters if they want to, it's just a silly fan rule", but the reality is that it just increases the gulf even further. If people start asking for cartoons, comic book superheroes and manga characters when those are officially allowed, how will underused characters like Geno and Isaac even fare? Their chances of getting picked would go from small to infinitesimal.

Let's not call any character a waste of a slot for people who want them :)

I do agree though that we have a lot of FE and Pokemon characters and that other series should get some more reps
Meanwhile, I get the impression that even Sak is getting tired of the main FE lords using swords, since it makes gameplay variety difficult.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...a-plant-character-changes-online-much-more/3/

Sakurai: For instance, differentiating the sword users’ individual characteristics is quite difficult – them seeming similar isn’t unlikely. Protagonists sure do love their swords – you’d think using an axe from time to time would be okay, wouldn’t it? (laughs) Even excluding swords, if a character’s just using punches and kicks it doesn’t really illustrate their respective game’s individuality. Piranha Plant, on the other hand, has a whole host of skills that are unique to it.
I get that he likes FE, but I wonder why he needs to add a Pokémon newcomer each game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I get that he likes FE, but I wonder why he needs to add a Pokémon newcomer each game.
It is a tradition, after all. I feel that other series should get more reps and that FE and Pokemon have a lot of reps, but I'd be happy for fans of those two series if they got another character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It is a tradition, after all. I feel that other series should get more reps and that FE and Pokemon have a lot of reps, but I'd be happy for fans of those two series if they got another character.
If anything, I find it a pity that fans of Pokémon from older generations are mostly SOL when it comes to their favorites getting picked (especially Grovyle fans, their generation has been skipped over).

FE fans, meanwhile, can't get any secondary characters at all.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If anything, I find it a pity that fans of Pokémon from older generations are mostly SOL when it comes to their favorites getting picked (especially Grovyle fans, their generation has been skipped over).
Yeah, I don't see them going back beyond the current generation when it comes to new Pokemon reps, especially with how many reps are already from gen 1 alone.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, I don't see them going back beyond the current generation when it comes to new Pokemon reps, especially with how many reps are already from gen 1 alone.
yes Gengar is sad.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, here's an interesting question, is there any character out there that you think is an inevitability when it comes to them being an eventual Smash newcomer? Like, you are 100% certain it's a matter of when, not if.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, here's an interesting question, is there any character out there that you think is an inevitability when it comes to them being an eventual Smash newcomer? Like, you are 100% certain it's a matter of when, not if.
Not anymore. After being so certain that Shadow was 100% a lock, only for him to get AT'd, I don't think anything is 'inevitable' anymore.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not anymore. After being so certain that Shadow was 100% a lock, only for him to get AT'd, I don't think anything is 'inevitable' anymore.
When it comes to this question, I immediately expel any third party out of my mind. Does not matter how perfect it seems or how close the two parties involved are, that is some rickety scaffolding when it comes to saying a character is a lock.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I would accept 4th party characters too if it means Geno gets in
Ninten could be cool. I would want 4-D slip to be his up-B, it would act sort of like Mewtwo's. I think he could also have potential to be different than the existing Mother kids.

D

Deleted member

Ninten could be cool. I would want 4-D slip to be his up-B, it would act sort of like Mewtwo's. I think he could also have potential to be different than the existing Mother kids.
He's my second most wanted.

You know who my most wanted is :D

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A lot of people including myself throughout the years thought Dixie Kong would get in before :ultkrool: mainly because she was one of the Forbidden 7 in Brawl, relevant, and would be a lot easier to program. I still believe Dixie will make into Smash someday whether as DLC in Ultimate or in a future Smash game regardless of :ultkrool: getting in before her.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A lot of people including myself throughout the years thought Dixie Kong would get in before :ultkrool: mainly because she was one of the Forbidden 7 in Brawl, relevant, and would be a lot easier to program. I still believe Dixie will make into Smash someday whether as DLC in Ultimate or in a future Smash game regardless of :ultkrool: getting in before her.
Dixie seems like an eventuality to me as well, as long as she keeps on making appearances. Really, consistency is a great friend to a first party character when it comes to getting in Smash. If you can remain popular and relevant indefinitely, you are always a great candidate for a rep. Of course, overwhelming popularity can bust through consistent exposure, as :ultkrool: showcased, but you get what I mean.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What people forgot is that she was a tag team character. Sakurai doesn't drop his ideas easily. It's no surprise that K. Rool got in first, as he wasn't tied to being a tag team design.

That doesn't mean the tag team idea is necessarily good, just that it's likely he'll stick with that first. I'd like to see a Dixie/Cranky team myself.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What people forgot is that she was a tag team character. Sakurai doesn't drop his ideas easily. It's no surprise that K. Rool got in first, as he wasn't tied to being a tag team design.

That doesn't mean the tag team idea is necessarily good, just that it's likely he'll stick with that first. I'd like to see a Dixie/Cranky team myself.
Cranky is my most wanted DKC rep now that K. Rool is in, so a Dixie and Cranky tag team?

Man. You just made me want something I never even realized I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom