• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Yesterday I was looking for something in one of my drawers, and I came across an old notebook. Curious, I open it, and it was written: "Dear future-me, did ♥♪!? win... ? Is Geno back?" -2015
It hurt urghh...
Like everyone else here, I can't wait for Brave's reveal. And I want, one day, to answer to my past self: "Yes, he did it. He's back."

ouch... The fact I can recall waiting for the Brawl Dojo updates hopeful i'd see geno one of those updates, its been a long journey indeed.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oof... This is painfully relatable. Videogames are definitely escapism and have been most of my life ranging from an emotionally abusive parent to trying not to face plant into alcoholism in grad school to now and my ongoing existential angst with my degree and job. Kind of sucks that Smash stresses me out so often. Speculation is stressful. Competitive gaming is stressful too. Take out those and you lose like 90% of the appeal of Smash to begin with so it's a cruel mistress.
To be honest, I feel it's fine to step away from speculation. What will happen will happen regardless of what theories we post online. It's in some way better to sit back and see where the pieces fall. I mostly only play Smash with friends so I'm just gonna wait to see what the DLC is and determine if I want it or not afterwards.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay, I've gotta step in and say that... guys? Can we not slander people here? I understand a lot of your cases, but using the Geno thread to throw shade at people isn't a good idea, man. I haven't been to Papa's Discord and I have no horse in this race, so I'm mainly referring to trashing the Squeenix thread.

Like... c'mon. A lot of the folk there are very nice. One or two bad experiences shouldn't color your opinion of every single person there as a whole. Even if you have negative thoughts about the place, there are some things that you should honestly keep to yourself. Spreading a bunch of trash here is just plain rude. Let's not, okay? Let's be positive.

On a positive note...

Love y'all. ♥

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My hot take on the DLC characters not being revealed early:

At least anything will be better than getting Decapre as the last DLC character of Street Fighter IV (even Steve, as much as I don't care for him). Having a character that looks like another one and isn't even notorious enough to justify it? Yeah...:glare:

I trust in this case, seeing as there must be some huge surprises at some point, regardless whether Geno is in or not. And honestly? Geno's spirit will have at least been a warning sign if he isn't part of this DLC batch, as it stands right now.

Also, at least the dataminers are kept off at bay for the most part.
In the meantime, here's to hoping stuff actually happens right after :ultpiranha:'s imminent arrival. I've gone beyond the point of not caring what happens as long as there's actual blooming news beyond "Look! Indies!". 4 days left...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

WHAT THE **** DID YOU SAY
**** THE MOTHER KIDS TBH

ACTUALLY THEY'RE PRETTY COOL BUT GOD ****ING DAMN I HATE PK FIRE LIKE THAT'S NOT EVEN ONE OF YOUR ATTACKS NESS YOU MOVE STEALER THAT'S PAULA'S

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if we're talking about MOTHER kids, Masked Man would totally be a good addition to the roster. He'd at least have the possibility of breaking the PK spam player archetype you have an issue with. But I feel like the remaining solid Nintendo picks are passed in favor of hype third party picks.

Geno would hit both of those categories too, being both a Nintendo character and a third party pick....
Man, I really want Geno. It's been over a decade at this point.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What gives me a lot of hope is that no one was able to leak out Joker and Piranha plant. So how would people know the exact DLC list after they couldn't even guess the first two DLCs? Let alone being told for an entire year before the DLC list was even decided on that there would totally be a Minecraft and SE rep in the base game that just so happened to be pushed to DLC when they were wrong.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My reaction is your profile picture but surprised in plot twist way, wowzers! xD

I always imagined everyone sounded like their profile pictures... I do that because, like you said, it makes the atmosphere unique, it makes me happy, and it brings humor onto the table. Thank you, I also enjoy you being here with us! And I also admire your kindness, too. :)

I mean, I always think to myself that Datboigeno sounds like Geno from Smash Kingdom, Zack E. sounds like a mix between Lucas and Ness, Fatmanonice sounds like Popeye, Ovaltine sounds like some kind stranger I met off the street, GoodGrief sounds like some Russian smoker, and I imagine to myself that all the Geno profile pics users here sound like Tokoyami.
I will now endeavor to act like a Russian smoker as well.

(This is so funny)

what do you guys assume about me?

Am I frog?
You is Frog.

Yesterday I was looking for something in one of my drawers, and I came across an old notebook. Curious, I open it, and it was written: "Dear future-me, did ♥♪!? win... ? Is Geno back?" -2015
It hurt urghh...
Like everyone else here, I can't wait for Brave's reveal. And I want, one day, to answer to my past self: "Yes, he did it. He's back."
Oooh the feels. Hurts me in the feels.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It hurt urghh...
Geno for a lot of us older fans is a matter of closure. I've seriously wanted Geno in Smash since about 2002 and have been actively supporting him online since about 2005. I'm no longer at the point at thinking this game is make or break because the character has obviously proven their staying power. I don't think they'll go scorched Earth with the next game when it comes to new characters because so much of Smash culture IS passing on that baton and making people care long past their relevancy. Yeah, it would suck to have to wait another 6 or 7 years but it's not like they were going nail every major fan request in a single game though, right? Despite this, I really don't want to be in my 40's when he finally crosses the finish line. Sakurai, buddy, can we have a 2025 deadline, please?

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Geno for a lot of us older fans is a matter of closure. I've seriously wanted Geno in Smash since about 2002 and have been actively supporting him online since about 2005. I'm no longer at the point at thinking this game is make or break because the character has obviously proven their staying power. I don't think they'll go scorched Earth with the next game when it comes to new characters because so much of Smash culture IS passing on that baton and making people care long past their relevancy. Yeah, it would suck to have to wait another 6 or 7 years but it's not like they were going nail every major fan request in a single game though, right? Despite this, I really don't want to be in my 40's when he finally crosses the finish line. Sakurai, buddy, can we have a 2025 deadline, please?
It is certainly about closure for me as well. I feel like the game's not quite complete without him. I love the game with or without Geno in, but wouldn't Ultimate truly be "Ultimate" if he finally did get in?

I'm fairly sure that Brave will turn out to be Erdrick, all the signs are pointing there. But Geno would be so much sweeter.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
It is certainly about closure for me as well. I feel like the game's not quite complete without him. I love the game with or without Geno in, but wouldn't Ultimate truly be "Ultimate" if he finally did get in?

I'm fairly sure that Brave will turn out to be Erdrick, all the signs are pointing there. But Geno would be so much sweeter.
I haven't paid much attention to any other characters besides Geno, so I'm curious as to what these signs that point towards Erdrick are. Besides the "Brave" thing which could very well be anything given the nature of it being a code name.

D

Deleted member

**** THE MOTHER KIDS TBH

ACTUALLY THEY'RE PRETTY COOL BUT GOD ****ING DAMN I HATE PK FIRE LIKE THAT'S NOT EVEN ONE OF YOUR ATTACKS NESS YOU MOVE STEALER THAT'S PAULA'S
NO.

LEAVE MY MOTHER BOYS ALONE.

I want to see our boy make the finish line. I want to see our boy get what he deserves. I want to see our boy get his rightful spot in Super Smash Bros.

Please, Sakurai and Nintendo.

And popeye.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I haven't paid much attention to any other characters besides Geno, so I'm curious as to what these signs that point towards Erdrick are. Besides the "Brave" thing which could very well be anything given the nature of it being a code name.
If Erdrick's class in Dragon Quest is translated into English, it can be either "Hero" or "Brave."
For reference, brave isn't a rare translation of the word - the Brave series uses the same word IIRC.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Erdrick's class in Dragon Quest is translated into English, it can be either "Hero" or "Brave."
For reference, brave isn't a rare translation of the word - the Brave series uses the same word IIRC.
It's why I keep saying People only assume Dragon Quest because they expect Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

It's only localized as "Hero" due to context, as in most cases "Yuusha" translates directly to "Brave"
It's why I keep saying People only assume Dragon Quest because they expect Dragon Quest.
Pretty much. Even as someone who's actively rooting for it I have my doubts about Brave specifically.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
It's only localized as "Hero" due to context, as in most cases "Yuusha" translates directly to "Brave"

Pretty much. Even as someone who's actively rooting for it I have my doubts about Brave specifically.
Why do you have doubts Brave is Erdrick?
I mean, personally, I'm split on Erdrick. I would want him in, but him getting in would torpedo Geno's chances. So I'm very open and willing that it isn't referring to Erdrick.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's a good mix of "Verge said SE rep", the list he leaked, and Dragon Quest being super popular in Japan. Other then that there hasn't been any other signs. Even most insiders are not completely positive its actually a Dragon Quest rep and at most they think it just leans that direction but not a complete confirmation.

D

Deleted member

Me too and I don’t see chibi eddy being in because it’s not that recognizable

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, personally, I'm split on Erdrick. I would want him in, but him getting in would torpedo Geno's chances. So I'm very open and willing that it isn't referring to Erdrick.
Honestly, it'd at least torpedo Geno's chances for the Fighter's Pass. We could so easily not get more DLC, but considering the expectation of the Switch lasting an insanely long time, I doubt they'd miss that chance. It prints money. If anything, Cloud being in the base game is good in terms of Square DLC. To make up for it, they're going to want to bank as much as possible on Smash's DLC, meaning more than one Square rep is more likely than you think.

That being said, Geno in the Fighter's Pass? Wouldn't count on it. Outside of the pass? I think there's still hope.

D

Deleted member

I recall Tansut saying not to expect a reveal for them soon. Plus, while the stats could work for Erdrick (there's so many possible interpretations of how he could work honestly), the data of the stats likely isn't final, so it's somewhat moot to speculate on what we have currently if it does end up changing.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Wew lad I’ve missed out on some quality conversation these past few pages. For anyone wondering I am a guy (male) and am in fact Geno perpetually drinking a Monster energy drink.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
It could be Eddy, it could be Geno, it could be Sora, But my moneys on Ronald McDonald.

D

Deleted member

@liquidmetalslime My man, now that you are here...

...your first profile pic was amazing. Just a slime smiling. It was hilarious too when you brought talked about DQ, I just imagined a slime saying what you said lmao

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I'm aware of how Erdrick's class name can be translated to brave, but it's rather old news that isn't anymore proof than Jack being Jack Frost or Raiden (AKA Jack the Ripper) who were both either guesses as to who Jack was, or used as evidence that a character's code name can refer to pretty much anything.

Also remember that these names are supposed to be code names, generally things that aren't immediately guessed which everyone and their dog seems to be on board that Brave is Erdrick which, should that be the case, shows Nintendo being incredibly lax to negligent with keeping their development of characters a secret until they're properly revealed.

It just strikes me as odd that people are latching onto Erdrick with any sort of certainty given the massive show stopper that was the Joker reveal which none (to my knowledge) of the 'reputable' leakers managed to guess.

Hell, this just makes the Brave=Erdrick thing even more suspicious as it shows Nintendo is aware of the leaks/ers, and would take extra steps in keeping these characters secret or hidden. So with that in mind, thinking Brave being Erdrick due to the direct connection the word 'brave' has with Erdrick's hero name, while Pakku's relation with Piranha plant is simply a biting sound which could've still be anyone and Jack's relation to Joker is both are names of playing cards, makes the Brave/Erdrick thing even that much more suspicious.

Just my two cents on that, if there's any other actual hints for Erdrick let me know, but if this Erdrick train is fueled simply by a class name, well I have my doubts.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Pakku's relation with Piranha plant is simply a biting sound which could've still be anyone
Eh, not necessarily. Although it'd be easy to assume a Pac-Man rep (Ms. Pac-Man, namely) out of Pakku, Piranha Plant's Japanese name literally is Pakkun Plant. It's pretty blatant. I get the rest of your points, though.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Eh, not necessarily. Although it'd be easy to assume a Pac-Man rep (Ms. Pac-Man, namely) out of Pakku, Piranha Plant's Japanese name literally is Pakkun Plant. It's pretty blatant. I get the rest of your points, though.
Ahhh is it? Well mark me down for having learned something new today.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This upcoming update could be a game changer in a lot of ways. Of course there's the balancing but there's the strong implication of things big enough to warrant a jump to 2.0. It gives me hope that Smash Ultimate will have a long DLC cycle that's at least equal to Splatoon 2 and have updates that make even the most burnt out fans want to go back.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This upcoming update could be a game changer in a lot of ways. Of course there's the balancing but there's the strong implication of things big enough to warrant a jump to 2.0. It gives me hope that Smash Ultimate will have a long DLC cycle that's at least equal to Splatoon 2 and have updates that make even the most burnt out fans want to go back.
Honestly, the idea of more modes and new additions is hyping me more than character speculation at the moment. There's so much potential in that, and we know Nintendo listens to our feedback as much as possible. What are we going to even GET?!

I'm gonna jump out of my seat.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But even then. People wouldn't be guessing the plant. They would be guessing Petey. Who would have ever thought they would add a basic mario enemy. There might also be the fact they knew the character wouldn't leak so they saw no point giving it a custom secret code name like jack and brave.

D

Deleted member

I'm liking where this is headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom