• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Ranma's an alright series, though Urusei Yatsura I feel is stronger. That, and Ukyo is best Ranma girl
It's definitely Ukyo. I like Shampoo too, though I kinda wish she didn't speak in third person

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Apparently 2.0 is a big deal since it's apparently tinkering with something beyond even adding characters. Something that affects the main game deep in. Apparently Smash 4 never saw such an update.
Well, at least, it's speculated to be that way. There's always the off-chance that it won't be.

Home-run contest and break the targets, please... please...

ETA: SCRATCH THAT WHAT AM I SAYING. SMASH RUN, PLEASE.

Last edited:

bomamba

Smash Cadet
]
Apparently 2.0 is a big deal since it's apparently tinkering with something beyond even adding characters. Something that affects the main game deep in. Apparently Smash 4 never saw such an update.
“We would like to re-introduce you to the biggest smash mode ever. Smash Tour makes its grand return!”

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you have this many issues with game commitments, it's probably a good thing none of you guys go on Retroachievements. Although I wouldn't be surprised if you do.

Ranma's an alright series, though Urusei Yatsura I feel is stronger. That, and Ukyo is best Ranma girl
Not to mention that Ranma was the start of Takahashi's habit of...meandering about and simply not ending her series for a ridiculous amount of time.

UY and Maison Ikkoku hit that sweet spot in terms of long-running pacing, I think.

“We would like to re-introduce you to the biggest smash mode ever. Smash Tour makes its grand return!”
"WOL is Smash Tour", they said...

]
Sauce, please.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
]
An update Smash 4 never saw?

Geno confirmed. We did it fellas. Our time is now.

D

Deleted member

If you have this many issues with game commitments, it's probably a good thing none of you guys go on Retroachievements. Although I wouldn't be surprised if you do.

Not to mention that Ranma was the start of Takahashi's habit of...meandering about and simply not ending her series for a ridiculous amount of time.

UY and Maison Ikkoku hit a sweet spot in terms of long-running pacing, I think.

"WOL is Smash Tour", they said...

Sauce, please.
Is Retroachievements worse than YouTube and GameFaqs

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is Retroachievements worse than YouTube and GameFaqs
Nah, it's not like those websites (although waiting for achievement support for many games can be a pain, especially if you're a Puyo Puyo or Bonk fan), I'd say it's milder than those community-wise. Otherwise, it's all about using emulators for playing games, and see if you can finish off sets, for fun and/or the global ranking.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My biggest problem with video games is that they're very addictive and I have a habit of having long play sessions for games I enjoy. This is why I avoid playing Breath of the Wild and Civilization 5. Once I sit down, I am not getting up from that chair and that's terrible when I have priorities.

Luckily, Smash is that kind of game where you can put it on for ten minutes, have fun, and then put it down to work on other things.

If I do play games, it's because I want to accomplish some objective from it. Like beating Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson Punch Out or beating the hard mode of Fire Emblem 7 without restarting. **** like that, which feeds off my desire to accomplish, critically think, or challenge. Only issue is time management. DX
This. This is why I put off Xenoblade for years because everyone was like "this game is amazing, it's up to 120 hours of gameplay" and the adult side of me was like "sometimes I come home from work and literally lay on the couch until I pass out; where would I find the time?" This is also why it kills me that things are so easy to unlock in games nowadays. I'm still kinda salty that I was able to 100% Ultimate so fast.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Real talk though, I remember there being a recent interview about how Sakurai mentions that he specifically looked at the smash ballot for next game fighters when he included simon, ridley, and king k rool. Can't help but feel like we're being left out of some cool party. I know that we were incredibly requested, and he had to have known that Piranha Plant would've upset the Geno fans, and the fact that ANOTHER Square Rep could possibly be coming just to add salt to the wound, really kinda hurts.

Like at this point I would rather him just come out and explain as to why we weren't picked, we KNOW we have big numbers of support and yet we still get shafted.

What's his end game...

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This. This is why I put off Xenoblade for years because everyone was like "this game is amazing, it's up to 120 hours of gameplay" and the adult side of me was like "sometimes I come home from work and literally lay on the couch until I pass out; where would I find the time?" This is also why it kills me that things are so easy to unlock in games nowadays. I'm still kinda salty that I was able to 100% Ultimate so fast.
Man, 120 hours would have made little ol' me go nuts back in the day.

Now, though, it's just like, "120? Ain't nobody got time for that, I need a freaking nap." Ahh, adulthood.

Real talk though, I remember there being a recent interview about how Sakurai mentions that he specifically looked at the smash ballot for next game fighters when he included simon, ridley, and king k rool. Can't help but feel like we're being left out of some cool party. I know that we were incredibly requested, and he had to have known that Piranha Plant would've upset the Geno fans, and the fact that ANOTHER Square Rep could possibly be coming just to add salt to the wound, really kinda hurts.

Like at this point I would rather him just come out and explain as to why we weren't picked, we KNOW we have big numbers of support and yet we still get shafted.

What's his end game...
He'll probably end up giving a blanket, "It couldn't happen this time, so we got his spirit." I think if it were up to Sakurai, Geno would have been in already, but we all know that SQUARE something else is at fault here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's his end game...
Man, 120 hours would have made little ol' me go nuts back in the day.

Now, though, it's just like, "120? Ain't nobody got time for that, I need a freaking nap." Ahh, adulthood.

He'll probably end up giving a blanket, "It couldn't happen this time, so we got his spirit." I think if it were up to Sakurai, Geno would have been in already, but we all know that SQUARE something else is at fault here.
Sakurai is planning an ambush on the Square Enix employees and will hold them hostage if they don't give him Geno

D

Deleted member

I will definitely play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the summer when I actually have the flippin' time, yeah. XD. In fact, that's my main source of issue with RPGs. They can take an obscene amount of time. Granted, I generally ignore side quests so game time is probably cut down to 2/3rds but still. Phew. Summer is just going to be a marathon of long ass games.

• Dragon Quest 5
  • Advance Wars
  • Banjo Tooie
  • FE 7 Hard Mode No Restart
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Super Punch Out
  • Maybe DKC 2 102%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
What I've bolded is priority. For now, I'll just mess around with Celeste B-Side and Freedom Planet.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I will definitely play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the summer when I actually have the flippin' time, yeah. XD. In fact, that's my main source of issue with RPGs. They can take an obscene amount of time. Granted, I generally ignore side quests so game time is probably cut down to 2/3rds but still. Phew. Summer is just going to be a marathon of long *** games.

• Dragon Quest 5
  • Advance Wars
  • Banjo Tooie
  • FE 7 Hard Mode No Restart
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Super Punch Out
  • Maybe DKC 2 102%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
What I've bolded is priority. For now, I'll just mess around with Celeste B-Side and Freedom Planet.
Putting Banjo-Tooie on priority... I...

I smiled. Thumbs up. If you love long platforming games, you'll love Tooie, especially if you loved Kazooie.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing that bothers me in that article is the part that mentions not having a lot of Konami characters to choose from.

Yet Super Bomberman R has all sorts of random guest characters from their games (with the biggest exceptions being Bonk and Master Higgins, despite them showing up in a Bomberman game before), what the hell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Putting Banjo-Tooie on priority... I...

I smiled. Thumbs up. If you love long platforming games, you'll love Tooie, especially if you loved Kazooie.
It's more like I grew up with Tooie (more so than Banjo-Kazooie) and I'm interested in going back into my N64 roots after all of this Smash speculation and years of never playing it since childhood. I never beat Tooie nor have I seen many speed runs or 100% guides to it in recent times, so I'm very excited to just have fun with it again, especially after coming off of Banjo-Kazooie recently.

Here's to Yee-haw and Madame Grunty beatings!

E: I ****ING LOVE THIS SONG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's more like I grew up with Tooie (more so than Banjo-Kazooie) and I'm interested in going back into my N64 roots after all of this Smash speculation. I never beat Tooie nor have I seen many speed runs or 100% guides to it in recent times, so I'm very excited to just have fun with it again, especially after coming off of Banjo-Kazooie recently.

Here's to Yee-haw and Madame Grunty beatings!
I grew up with both equally as much, and I have so much love for both. Good luck 100%'ing it, though, especially with Canary Mary. Brr... Still don't want to know where she was hiding her stuff.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I grew up with both equally as much, and I have so much love for both. Good luck 100%'ing it, though, especially with Canary Mary. Brr... Still don't want to know where she was hiding her stuff.
It took me years to figure out the second Canary Mary race. Basically you have to be neck and neck with her the whole race or she freaks out and destroys you. It's one of the most notorious examples of rubber banding in gaming.

D

Deleted member

My priority

is Geno
Geno got his time last winter when I got around with Super Mario RPG. Dude was MVP, and I have a list as to why.
  • All of his special moves are easy to use for max potential unlike Mario who requires more work to hit harder.
  • His natural speed allows him to go first usually all of the time. This means a lot when he gets Geno Beam because now he can just clear the field as soon as the battle starts. If not, he weakens everybody for Mario and Peach to finish things off. While it costs a lot of MP, you should generally always be stocking up on Syrup because Peach's team healing is better than Mushrooms.
  • The chakram is great if you want to cheat certain sections that are unpleasant. I remember I forgot to save after beating Chapter 5, so I had to do Booster's tower and the sunken ship all over again. I had no time for that so I had my emulator make Geno's chakram special always critical. This saved a lot of time against repetitive bosses like the shark dude. (I never used Geno Whirl again until the final boss because that fight ended up boring me to annoyance.)
  • He's a wooden toy robot equipped with high velocity ballistic, lasers, explosives, and galactic beams. He is conceptually awesome.
  • He kick starts the actual plot, even if it diverges from Smithy being the main threat.
  • His goodbye theme is brilliantly composed.
I didn't 100% Kazooie, but that largely had to do with the dumb note reset gimmick. When I felt I was done with the world, I was done with it. That being said, I got 96 jiggies, 12 honey comb pieces, and 881 notes (just one below the double health upgrade lol).

Banjo Tooie I plan on 100%-ing because it feels more convenient to do so now. Okay scratch that. It's more like I feel like I don't have to complete the world in one go in Banjo-Tooie, which encourages just messing around with different things instead of the fear of death.

Probably gonna cheat Canary Mary because I care about my X-box controller.

D

Deleted member

Geno got his time last winter when I got around with Super Mario RPG. Dude was MVP, and I have a list as to why.
  • All of his special moves are easy to use for max potential unlike Mario who requires more work to hit harder.
  • His natural speed allows him to go first usually all of the time. This means a lot when he gets Geno Beam because now he can just clear the field as soon as the battle starts. If not, he weakens everybody for Mario and Peach to finish things off. While it costs a lot of MP, you should generally always be stocking up on Syrup because Peach's team healing is better than Mushrooms.
  • The chakram is great if you want to cheat certain sections that are unpleasant. I remember I forgot to save after beating Chapter 5, so I had to do Booster's tower and the sunken ship all over again. I had no time for that so I had my emulator make Geno's chakram special always critical. This saved a lot of time against repetitive bosses like the shark dude. (I never used Geno Whirl again until the final boss because that fight ended up boring me to annoyance.)
  • He's a wooden toy robot equipped with high velocity ballistic, lasers, explosives, and galactic beams. He is conceptually awesome.
  • He kick starts the actual plot, even if it diverges from Smithy being the main threat.
  • His goodbye theme is brilliantly composed.

I didn't 100% Kazooie, but that largely had to do with the dumb note reset gimmick. When I felt I was done with the world, I was done with it. That being said, I got 96 jiggies, 12 honey comb pieces, and 881 notes (just one below the double health upgrade lol).

Banjo Tooie I plan on 100%-ing because it feels more convenient to do so now. Okay scratch that. It's more like I feel like I don't have to complete the world in one go in Banjo-Tooie, which encourages just messing around with different things instead of the fear of death.

Probably gonna cheat Canary Mary because I care about my X-box controller.
There will never be a time where I won't cry when listening to Goodbye Geno

D

Deleted member

Meanwhile I'm sitting over here, having beaten both Banjo games as a kid, in their time.
*Pout emoji*

I mean, the games were already beaten when I was growing up with them. Not 100% but really, it's close enough. I just never gave a care about the actual objective of Banjo-Kazooie. I actually spent a weird amount of time on the minigames in Tooie because they were available in the main menu.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What the **** Kirby
Granted, I have the player's guides, but that's half the battle.

I spent most of my life playing games, so it's eventually possible for me to beat them when I keep up at it. I attribute that to mum telling me not to give up when I had trouble with Super Bomberman 2.

*Pout emoji*

I mean, the games were already beaten when I was growing up with them. Not 100% but really, it's close enough. I just never gave a care about the actual objective of Banjo-Kazooie. I actually spent a weird amount of time on the minigames in Tooie because they were available in the main menu.
There's also the gorillion amount of cheat codes for funsies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Granted, I have the player's guides, but that's half the battle.

I spent most of my life playing games, so it's eventually possible for me to beat them when I keep up at it. I attribute that to mum telling me not to give up when I had trouble with Super Bomberman 2.
TFW you can gather all of the 100 gold cards in Bomberman 64 as a kid but never beat Rainbow Palace until high school.

D

Deleted member

same
and i can say without ANY hesitation, **** the jiggy behind the propellors in rusty bucket bay.
TFW you just save state when you enter the engine room. Games these days, am I right?

Real talk, though, Rusty Bucket Bay was my low point. I didn't enjoy traversing the world and there were few characters to interact with.

D

Deleted member

In fact, let met get the world reviews for Banjo-Kazooie out of the way.
  • Mumbo Mountain - the opening level. It's very easy to a hundred percent and teaches you some of the most vital techniques and set pieces in the game. Aesthetically interesting because it's separated into mountain village, ant hill, and monkey jerk. It doesn't rely on one gimmick.
  • Treasure Trove Cove - Great song. Expands on the already good Mumbo Mountain perfectly by introducing flight.
  • Clanker's Cavern - Not the best world because of all of the swimming, but it's very condensed to where you'll never feel lost. I'm surprised how fun it was to explore despite visually being disgusting and having Clanker be disturbingly graphic.
  • Bubble Gloop Swamp - The music somehow gets better with this level. Surprisingly fun. The turtle and crocodile minigames are endearing as all Hell. How did they make swamps fun to explore? That is amazing.
  • Freezeezy Peak - A Christmas themed level is actually surprisingly unique. Freezeezy isn't just the ice level. There are a lot of parallels to gift giving and holiday bells to make it more uplifting than the token ambient ice stage.
  • Gobi Valley - this is where late-game difficulty starts rearing its ugly head. It's not the sand, but the fact that the honey comb hives now have bees over them. This makes not dying more a chore than anything. Despite that, Gobi's Valley is still a fun desert level. Characters are plentiful and challenges are nice. Gobi the camel himself is ****ing hilarious.
  • Mad Monster Mansion - This is where 100%-ing started to become increasingly difficult. Finding the correct pathway for the situational and defenseless pumpkin is annoying. It was challenging, but I was happy to complete it because of the unique set pieces.
  • Rusty Bucket Bay - **** this stage. Just traveling around the general area is a slog because of the water. Falling down and having to swim back up is a slow process that wears on you. Add how there are few unique characters to interact with and it's an uninteresting level with few set pieces beyond a platforming nightmare. I did not 100% this level when I couldn't find that last jiggy. I was done.
  • Click Clock Woods - the hardest level, but the best one. This is the best world conceptually. The season switching leads to a lot of visual and character gags that tell their own story. Mumbo can only work in the spring because it's most convenient there, Gnawty not getting many visitors in the winter, the bird growing up throughout the entire stage, enemies getting replaced sometimes, it's such a marvelous level. I didn't 100% it and I still think it's the best world in the game. Finding the portrait to gain access was a *****, though. Figures the one area I choose not to explore in Grunty's Lair is the one that has the portrait for CCW.
See for yourself: https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_updates_(SSB4-Wii_U)#1.1.7

Nothing in main 2's. We're riding the rollercoaster to Smash history here.
Logically, you might be right. Looking back at Kirby Star Allies, every version of the game came with significant add-ons that made the game slightly more worth purchasing. Here's to seeing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm scared. I'm sensitive with roller coasters.

Please get everyone paper bags, Jovah, 'cause we're in for a hell of a ride.
So, this is the power of working on a single console...

I'll be okay.

View attachment 188661

The main reason for concern here is that under normal circumstances, the middle and first numbers only change by reaching that point numerically. Under normal circumstances, not including adding new characters or any other fixes that would require a changing in the middle digit, it would take us 100 updates to reach "2.0.0".

So, keep in mind, against orthodox protocols, which they've clearly been following, they are skipping across the value of that "100".

Without a doubt, something BIG is gonna happen when that update comes through, Lord knows how long it'll be before we know what it amounts to after it's implemented but keep your eyes open and your hearts as gurarded as possible from stress.
Logically, you might be right. Looking back at Kirby Star Allies, every version of the game came with significant add-ons that made the game slightly more worth purchasing. Here's to seeing.
That's another interesting tidbit. What this update brings could be enough to change this game to another level of "edition". I can tell you, those updates DO NOT come often, especially with fighting games like these.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, this is the power of working on a single console...

I'll be okay.

View attachment 188661
Lol this gif should just be in your signature.

Anyways, I hope they add Geno. For the Geno fans, the SMRPG fans, the hardcore Nintendo fans, for the SNES era fans, for the Smash fans, for the Square Enix fans who are also Nintendo fans...

and for the future of Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars

D

Deleted member

That's anothe rinteresting tidbit. What this update brings could be enough to change this game to another level of "edition". I can tell you, those updates DO NOT come often, especially with fighting games like these.
Very much so. For Kirby Star Allies, it was usually just a whole ****load of Kirby characters, except for the last one where it also added the hardest difficulty. Not sure what Smash Bros will do with it. Don't want expectations to be too high.

D

Deleted member

Very much so. For Kirby Star Allies, it was usually just a whole ****load of Kirby characters, except for the last one where it also added the hardest difficulty. Not sure what Smash Bros will do with it. Don't want expectations to be too high.
Man, I won't try to raise my expectations too high for the update, but it's exciting, ngl XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Without a doubt, something BIG is gonna happen when that update comes through, Lord knows how long it'll be before we know what it amounts to after it's implemented but keep your eyes open and your hearts as gurarded as possible from stress.

That's anothe rinteresting tidbit. What this update brings could be enough to change this game to another level of "edition". I can tell you, those updates DO NOT come often, especially with fighting games like these.
I'll be fine, my expectations are actually tempered compared to about 99% of the people in the thread.
This is an interesting situation though (and I severely doubt it'll simply amount to nerfing :ultgreninja: like The Anigriffin The Anigriffin suggests). It's been suggested recently in the Dixie thread that maybe we'll see DLC bosses. I don't know about that, but we'll see what happens.

Added modes would be good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom