• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I doubt we'll get both tbh.
I honestly think it's all or nothing, with all being either Geno as DLC along with the Mii costume, or Geno as DLC without the Mii costume. If we aren't getting the character, I don't think we'll get the Mii costume.

I personally think he is DLC in wave 1 though. If he isn't in wave 1, I won't completely give up on him to get in as DLC outside of the pass, but I think he will be unlikely

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I honestly think it's all or nothing, with all being either Geno as DLC along with the Mii costume, or Geno as DLC without the Mii costume. If we aren't getting the character, I don't think we'll get the Mii costume.

I personally think he is DLC in wave 1 though. If he isn't in wave 1, I won't completely give up on him to get in as DLC outside of the pass, but I think he will be unlikely
If he's even DLC at all, I think he'll be miscellaneous DLC. I think the Fighter's Pass is going to have characters that catch the public's eye rather than fan favorites.

Plus if Geno gets in, I'd love to make him fight Mega Man as well as any Zelda character

D

Deleted member

If he's even DLC at all, I think he'll be miscellaneous DLC. I think the Fighter's Pass is going to have characters that catch the public's eye rather than fan favorites.

Plus if Geno gets in, I'd love to make him fight Mega Man as well as any Zelda character
I don't think all the pass will be like that. We got one, Joker, but I don't think the rest of them will be. I thought the entire base roster for Ultimate would be fan favorites too, after all. Sakurai gave balance in the base roster - Ridley, Simon, and K Rool for the hardcore fans, and Inkling, Isabelle, and Incineroar for the casual fans.

We got Joker, but again, I think there will be some characters to please the hardcore fans too, like our boy.

My gut feeling is that the last 4 DLC slots are all Geno.
The best gut feeling

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I honestly don't know why there is any hope for the Fighter's Pass itself when it seems pretty clear what the intent behind it is.

With that being said, I think there is still hope for Geno for misc. DLC. Even if the Mii costume comes out, despite it making his chances ridiculously slim, remember that they're dealing with Square here. It wouldn't surprise me if they sold the costume for about a year before surprising us with a Geno reveal. Anyone who's a fan of him would buy him as playable even if they've already gotten the costume. It's just more money in their pockets. It's scummy, but in the unlikely event that we got both, I could see that as a possibility, even if a slim one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My gut feeling is telling me the next character won't be someone that anyone on this board expects.

I honestly don't know why there is any hope for the Fighter's Pass itself when it seems pretty clear what the intent behind it is.

With that being said, I think there is still hope for Geno for misc. DLC. Even if the Mii costume comes out, despite it making his chances ridiculously slim, remember that they're dealing with Square here. It wouldn't surprise me if they sold the costume for about a year before surprising us with a Geno reveal. Anyone who's a fan of him would buy him as playable even if they've already gotten the costume. It's just more money in their pockets. It's scummy, but in the unlikely event that we got both, I could see that as a possibility, even if a slim one.
I'd be more hopeful about SE having any new stuff in at all. Even if it's just a spirits event about adding FF7 spirits to the game to promote that game's release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have hopes for Geno in the pass because we have seen characters who weren't well known in the past (or at least someone the average person isn't going to recognize), like Lucas, Roy, and Bayonetta, who were still sold as DLC. They all had fan demand, and Geno has fan demand. Plus, all the evidence for Geno that has been compiled for Geno during base roster speculation still leads me to believe that Geno could be DLC in wave 1.

Again, I think Geno will be unlikely for DLC outside of wave 1 or for a future Smash game if he isn't in wave 1 DLC

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have hopes for Geno in the pass because we have seen characters who weren't well known in the past (or at least someone the average person isn't going to recognize), like Lucas, Roy, and Bayonetta, who were still sold as DLC. They all has fan demand, and so does Geno. Plus, all the evidence for Geno that has been compiled for Geno during base roster speculation still leads me to believe that Geno could be DLC in wave 1.

Again, I think Geno will be unlikely for DLC outside of wave 1 or for a future Smash game if he isn't in wave 1 DLC
I honestly think that thinking is a bit backwards, plus the Sm4sh DLC isn't indicative of what they're doing this time. Sakurai chose for Sm4sh; NoJ is choosing for Ultimate. Sakurai has some power in that, but the semantics behind it are all different. I could honestly see Nintendo doing more recognizable figures for the Fighter's Pass and saving fan-demand characters for separate DLC. The pass is likely meant to appeal to a larger audience of must-haves, if Joker is any indication (as Persona is a MASSIVE series).

If anything, if other (or one other) Square rep(s) are in the Fighter's Pass, it just increases Geno's chances for future DLC or future Smash games, because he'll have less competition (beyond additional characters from included Square series in the 6th installment, at least). Conversely, it makes his Fighter's Pass chances plummet largely.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My gut is telling me Nintendo would realize how much **** they'd get for re-selling to somebody **** they already previous owned and wouldn't put any cut Mii costumes on sale for DLC again.

At least I'd hope.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I feel so greedy expecting another character announcement so soon, especially since I’m hoping it’s Geno. Joker was revealed back in December, and yet I still want more man. We’ve got a whole year to go, with four characters left to announce.

Well, hope you’re all enjoying the waiting game, since it seems like we’re gonna be playing it a lot this time around.
8BE880A9-EEF7-4364-B3A5-C6C62FF6812D.gif

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My gut is telling me Nintendo would realize how much **** they'd get for re-selling to somebody **** they already previous owned and wouldn't put any cut Mii costumes on sale for DLC again.

At least I'd hope.
They didn't realize how much **** they'd get for not including Isaac, a hugely fan-demanded character, as playable as opposed to an assist trophy. They think ATs and Mii costumes are fine enough compensation.

I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to be blind to what the fans want.

D

Deleted member

My gut feeling is that Geno is not in the fighters pass but that they'll do Miscellaneous DLC for Fan-Favorite charcters like Banjo, Geno maybe Isaac and Waluigi

D

Deleted member

I honestly think that thinking is a bit backwards, plus the Sm4sh DLC isn't indicative of what they're doing this time. Sakurai chose for Sm4sh; NoJ is choosing for Ultimate. Sakurai has some power in that, but the semantics behind it are all different. I could honestly see Nintendo doing more recognizable figures for the Fighter's Pass and saving fan-demand characters for separate DLC. The pass is likely meant to appeal to a larger audience of must-haves, if Joker is any indication (as Persona is a MASSIVE series).

If anything, if other (or one other) Square rep(s) are in the Fighter's Pass, it just increases Geno's chances for future DLC or future Smash games, because he'll have less competition (beyond additional characters from included Square series in the 6th installment, at least). Conversely, it makes his Fighter's Pass chances plummet largely.
Well, another thing that is giving me hope about Geno being in the pass is this article: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

I don't think Joker was chosen for the sole reason of appealing to the general audience. Sakurai is a Persona 5 fan, and I think Nintendo and Sakurai may have been brainstorming DLC characters with each throwing a couple of suggestions, rather than them being decided by Nintendo and Sakurai saying yes or no to whether he can make them a fighter or not. Which, again, is why I think Joker was chosen because Sakurai is a Persona 5 fan

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
They didn't realize how much **** they'd get for not including Isaac, a hugely fan-demanded character, as playable as opposed to an assist trophy. They think ATs and Mii costumes are fine enough compensation.

I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to be blind to what the fans want.
I've never seen a scummy Nintendo DLC practice however. Selling something that is an old asset from a game prior third party beloved character or not?

That's scummy as ****. Especially when there's already DLC Mii Costumes in basegame.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, another thing that is giving me hope about Geno being in the pass is this article: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

I don't think Joker was chosen for the sole reason of appealing to the general audience. Sakurai is a Persona 5 fan, and I think Nintendo and Sakurai may have been brainstorming DLC characters with each throwing a couple of suggestions, rather than them being decided by Nintendo and Sakurai saying yes or no to whether he can make them a fighter or not. Which, again, is why I think Joker was chosen because Sakurai is a Persona 5 fan
When you think about it, Joker is an extremely weird pick. If it weren't for Persona Q2, we basically had them willingly go after a Playstation-only character. The fact that Sakurai is such a huge fan of P5 is the only reason why they threw caution to the wind for this guy. It's not about an unproven character whose game isn't out yet (:ultroy::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf:), but one who is already proven to be a big hit in such a short timeframe. It's amazing that they even did this alone.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've never seen a scummy Nintendo DLC practice however. Selling something that is an old asset from a game prior third party beloved character or not?

That's scummy as ****. Especially when there's already DLC Mii Costumes in basegame.
True, but remember that we're also talking Square here. Nintendo might not do that, but Square certainly would. Square would in a heartbeat. If Nintendo can't get Geno playable, too, they might just find it best to sell the outfit again.

It's scummy and disgusting, I agree, but... you really never know.

D

Deleted member

This is another reason I'm doubting that Geno will be a Mii costume tbh. I think he's either playable DLC or not DLC in any form

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

> Because he's a fan
> He said a certain other game was excellent game design and he couldn't believe another game took its No. 1 spot on the eShop...

You know what this means bois.

Steve Default Dance.gif

D

Deleted member

I'd be fine with Goku, Steve, Slime, and Katalina if it means I get Geno too

D

Deleted member

The only reason I would Consider taking Steve for Geno and not instantly take Geno is cause of the Bear and Bird, Banjo switches out constantly with Geno for who I want more. One day it would be Geno the other it would be Banjo and vice-versa.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Like others, I fully expect the fighters pass DLC to be big name characters from third parties. All in the name of drawing in new players. I honestly expect Steve, who actually could have an interesting move set. Same with Erdrick.

I just hope they realize they should do another round for the long time fans. Geno, Isaac, Waluigi, Banjo, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like others, I fully expect the fighters pass DLC to be big name characters from third parties. All in the name of drawing in new players. I honestly expect Steve, who actually could have an interesting move set. Same with Erdrick.

I just hope they realize they should do another round for the long time fans. Geno, Isaac, Waluigi, Banjo, etc.
That's what I'm hoping for. a season 2 focused on Fan-Favorites I would buy in a heartbeat. and if they come in as Miscellaneous DLC so be it I'll buy them in a heartbeat anyways.
edit: Accidental typo

D

Deleted member

If there are only characters who are big third parties and no fan favorites in season 1, my hopes will be low for any good DLC at all, wave 1 or separate DLC

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
That's whar I'm hoping for. a season 2 focused on Fan-Favorites I would buy in a heartbeat. and if they come in as Miscellaneous DLC so be it I'll buy them in a heartbeat anyways.
I almost would prefer misc DLC if it would help the chances of it actually happening. We have enough stages, to be honest. Would I love to have Forest Maze or Vista Hill as a stage? Of course. Would some SMRPG remixes be awesome? Of course! Could I live without any of those if we just got Geno? Absolutely. That's all I really want, the rest would just be bonus.

D

Deleted member

I almost would prefer misc DLC if it would help the chances of it actually happening. We have enough stages, to be honest. Would I love to have Forest Maze or Vista Hill as a stage? Of course. Would some SMRPG remixes be awesome? Of course! Could I live without any of those if we just got Geno? Absolutely. That's all I really want, the rest would just be bonus.
Misc DLC would fit for Geno absolutely, we already have enough Mario Stages and Mario Galaxy could fit well for Geno's "Home Stage" Since Star Hill and everything but I would Love some fresh Smash Remixes of Beware the forests mushrooms and other songs. But the other Fan-Favorite Characters would need music and Stages look at Banjo or Isaac they absolutely would come with at least Music so while Misc DLC would be fine Personally I would love a Season 2 fan-favorite DLC pack so Everybody can be happy. Banjo fans and Isaac fans also deserve their character. I would absolutely take Misc DLC for Geno but Season 2 for Fan-Favorites would be the Best Scenario.

D

Deleted member

I think Geno needs a stage. Think about the potential for his stage - Forest Maze, Star Hill, Vista Hill, Bowser's Keep, Tadpole Pond, Booster Tower, Smithy Factory....it goes on, lol.

I would take him being just a character, but he needs a stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom