• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

well, i promised my girlfriend that if geno got deconfirmed id just play skullgirls with her instead of smash, so even though i haven't been a big part of the community ill probably be done with smash outside of playing casually every now and then
This doesn't deconfirm him though. Like Fatman said, the only deconfirmations are assist trophies, Mii costumes, and Sakurai saying that the character won't be playable. Again, "only 1 SE rep" is a fanmade rule.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Another thing to take into consideration with Erdrick; including him would prove once and for all to SE that when Sakurai chooses a character, he means it.

That he managed to negotiate a character from a series that's difficult to deal with rights-wise would be a feat worthy of the Guiness World Records. And if SE STILL isn't willing to budge on Geno after that, Sakurai will just continue to climb their mountains and swim through their rivers until they change their minds.

Besides, he's tackled one of the two JRPG giants, it would make sense to go after the other one next.
Well, let's not forget, he loves Dragon Quest 3 as well.

It could be a labor of love for such instead of him simply just fighting for Geno.

Let's not forget, that according to official word, Nintendo have apparently never really been told no in regards to whatever DLC characters they've asked for.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, let's not forget, he loves Dragon Quest 3 as well.

It could be a labor of love for such instead of him simply just fighting for Geno.

Let's not forget, that according to official word, Nintendo have apparently never easily been told no in regards to whatever DLC characters they've asked for.
Yeah, this can be a case of SE, once again, assuming that he'd go for a more recent character, only for mashpotato samurai to prove otherwise.

That said character is a Pretty Big Deal back home is a bonus.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Off topic; i had enough gold coins to pretty much get online for free for one month, so I caved and did it....

And what happens? :| i end up facing mew2king on stream and losing against his jigglypuff with my Ganon....

Why me...about the first year in smash 4 i faced ken and beat him a few times, around last year I ended up facing zero and almost beat his falcon with my dorf, now i run into m2k and lose on stream again.... granted i at least did ok against him but still....why do I keep running into famous smashers on stream :|

On topic; anyone have advice on how to get 100 super jumps in smrpg?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No I mean straight up tweeting to SE, NoJ, and NoA about being dissatisfied with their decision to have Erdrick over Geno.
I feel like just making larger big pushes for Geno is much more in our favor than singling out a character as problematic. That’s a good way to get people to take you less seriously when you say the existing choice is the problem with Smash at least...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No I mean straight up tweeting to SE, NoJ, and NoA about being dissatisfied with their decision to have Erdrick over Geno.
I don't think that would workout to well, for a multitude of reasons. The biggest of which is this all being leaked info, not official.
You know that Eddy being in doesn't mean that Geno is out, right?
That as well.

D

Deleted member

Off topic; i had enough gold coins to pretty much get online for free for one month, so I caved and did it....

And what happens? :| i end up facing mew2king on stream and losing against his jigglypuff with my Ganon....

Why me...about the first year in smash 4 i faced ken and beat him a few times, around last year I ended up facing zero and almost beat his falcon with my dorf, now i run into m2k and lose on stream again.... granted i at least did ok against him but still....why do I keep running into famous smashers on stream :|

On topic; anyone have advice on how to get 100 super jumps in smrpg?
What system do you play SMRPG with?

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
While I'd be disappointed if Geno isn't in (and I personally think this might be the final nail in the coffin), I...don't fully understand some of the sentiments here.

Believe me I understand being disappointed. However...there's....a lot more to this game than just whether or not Geno is in it?

I've seen multiple people saying they wont play the game and that all the DLC sucks, etc etc

I dunno'. That just feels childish. It sucks that a character we've wanted for AGES (for some people here, they're not even old enough to remember Brawl speculation!), but that doesn't stop the game from being amazing, nor does it stop the DLC from being exciting (Joker and Erdrick are both cool and there's still 3 more characters after that.)

I just feel like, if you're going to completely disregard a game with 75 characters by the end of it's lifetime because 1 character isn't in, you...may need to re-evaluate why you want the character in the game in the first place. Let's face the facts, even IF Geno ever makes it in Smash, it's not going to result in some resurgence in the character, as amazing as that would be. I wouldn't even imagine Geno would remain in the next Smash: easy to tell the only reason Cloud wasn't cut is due to "everyone is here"

I dunno'. I'm a bit tired and you're all free to feel however you feel, and as someone who's wanted Geno for as long as I can remember I'm sad to not see him, but...completely disregarding all of Smash Ultimate because Geno isn't in it just feels...somewhere between childish, and silly.

link2702

Smash Champion
What system do you play SMRPG with?
Any of em.

Key thing is I’d like to try it without save state reloads.

I’m sure it’ll be impossible on my original since it’s hooked to an hdtv, so there’s gonna be some minuscule lag, but I also feel that would be the best one to conquer it on.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Thinking that SE got 2 characters in a pack limited to 5 when third party devs are foaming at the mouth to get representation in smash whereas SE is notoriously hard to work with is a huge assumption. I’d love it if he were to get in Wave 1 but it would be unprecedented. I’d love it if he were in or got in a wave 2 (which I’m not as confident about as other people are) but it makes more sense to be loud about Geno right now than sit idly by as he doesn’t get in again.

While I'd be disappointed if Geno isn't in (and I personally think this might be the final nail in the coffin), I...don't fully understand some of the sentiments here.

Believe me I understand being disappointed. However...there's....a lot more to this game than just whether or not Geno is in it?

I've seen multiple people saying they wont play the game and that all the DLC sucks, etc etc

I dunno'. That just feels childish. It sucks that a character we've wanted for AGES (for some people here, they're not even old enough to remember Brawl speculation!), but that doesn't stop the game from being amazing, nor does it stop the DLC from being exciting (Joker and Erdrick are both cool and there's still 3 more characters after that.)

I just feel like, if you're going to completely disregard a game with 75 characters by the end of it's lifetime because 1 character isn't in, you...may need to re-evaluate why you want the character in the game in the first place. Let's face the facts, even IF Geno ever makes it in Smash, it's not going to result in some resurgence in the character, as amazing as that would be. I wouldn't even imagine Geno would remain in the next Smash: easy to tell the only reason Cloud wasn't cut is due to "everyone is here"

I dunno'. I'm a bit tired and you're all free to feel however you feel, and as someone who's wanted Geno for as long as I can remember I'm sad to not see him, but...completely disregarding all of Smash Ultimate because Geno isn't in it just feels...somewhere between childish, and silly.
Enjoying the game and being dissapointed that Geno isn’t on aren’t mutually exclusive, m8. I have over 70 hours put in so far and don’t see myself stopping anytime soon just because Erdrick is in. I don’t think anyone here is saying SSBU is ruined because Geno isn’t in. We would just really like it if Geno was in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Any of em.

Key thing is I’d like to try it without save state reloads.

I’m sure it’ll be impossible on my original since it’s hooked to an hdtv, so there’s gonna be some minuscule lag, but I also feel that would be the best one to conquer it on.
Oh....I was going to request that you use restore points in Super Mario RPG on the WiiU VC. Well, that's the only way I was able to do it lol

Thinking that SE got 2 characters in a pack limited to 5 when third party devs are foaming at the mouth to get representation in smash whereas SE is notoriously hard to work with is a huge assumption. I’d love it if he were to get in Wave 1 but it would be unprecedented. I’d love it if he were in or got in a wave 2 (which I’m not as confident about as other people are) but it makes more sense to be loud about Geno right now than sit idly by as he doesn’t get in again.
It isn't that much of a stretch when you take in the fact that Geno is a Mario character. He represents the bonding of Nintendo and Square Enix rather than Square Enix. SE might just want a character to represent them, like, in this case, Eddy. Again, a reminder of the possibility of 2 SE characters, Geno and Cloud, being planned for Smash 4 DLC. And another reminder of the possibility of Nintendo buying Geno from SE

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
The thing with the fighters pack is that Joker may have been a hype inducing pick, leading to more people buying the pass than otherwise if Erdrick was the first character. Personally, I like to know what I'm getting before blindly buying. I see how Erdrick is basically a Japan-focused pick and I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. On one hand, maybe we can get a western based character (like Banjo) to balance it out, but I honestly doubt it.

Also, I don't get why we're assuming that leaks that are text only (and pretty easy as far as predictions go). Like, Erdrick has been discussed for a while now, and as soon as someone makes a leak that includes him, we're supposed to believe it? Nah, been down that road before. And yeah, Geno is not linked to any other Square character. I honestly could see 2 characters from them just because of how money hungry they are. Konami has 3 characters, Capcom has 2, Sega will (technically) have 2 with Joker. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility. Maybe Nintendo approached Square wanting Geno, but had additional stipulations to the deal like including Erdrick to promote Dragon Quest. That's a possibility as far as I'm concerned.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

i dont think im obligated to continue to support a game that only has one character in it that makes me prefer it to its predecessors (if you dont count simple quality of life changes)
semi off topic but i also strongly disagree with your sentiment of erdrick being cool

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Oh....I was going to request that you use restore points in Super Mario RPG on the WiiU VC. Well, that's the only way I was able to do it lol

It isn't that much of a stretch when you take in the fact that Geno is a Mario character. He represents the bonding of Nintendo and Square Enix rather than Square Enix. SE might just want a character to represent them, like, in this case, Eddy. Again, a reminder of the possibility of 2 SE characters, Geno and Cloud, being planned for Smash 4 DLC. And another reminder of the possibility of Nintendo buying Geno from SE
Yeah Geno does represent that bond for sure. That’s why he made sense for a SE rep. But that doesn’t make it more likely for SE to get another rep.

>Geno and Cloud planned for Smash 4 DLC

Eh, wut? Geno was never planned for Smash DLC afaik besides the costume

It would be great for Nintendo to have bought Geno but there’s literally no reason to think that’s happened at this point.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Eddy being in doesn't mean that Geno is in too.
It just feel like a missed opportunity, marketing above fan requesting. Which is completely reasonable, but also heartbreaking.

This said, if you're feelin' bad about this, do it. Take a break.

D

Deleted member

Yeah Geno does represent that bond for sure. That’s why he made sense for a SE rep. But that doesn’t make it more likely for SE to get another rep.

>Geno and Cloud planned for Smash 4 DLC

Eh, wut? Geno was never planned for Smash DLC afaik besides the costume

It would be great for Nintendo to have bought Geno but there’s literally no reason to think that’s happened at this point.
Geno is a Mario character. I say he represents the bond of Nintendo and Square Enix because he is a Mario character made by Square Enix. He doesn't represent Square Enix.

I said it was a possibility that the two were planned and that Geno may have simply been just a Mii costume because there wasn't enough time to develop him into a character.

I was also just saying that Nintendo buying Geno is a possibility.

Eddy being in doesn't mean that Geno is in too.
It just feel like a missed opportunity, marketing above fan requesting. Which is completely reasonable, but also heartbreaking.

This said, if you're feelin' bad about this, do it. Take a break.
I never said Eddy being in means that Geno is in, I was just saying that Eddy being in doesn't mean Geno is out.

What would deconfirm Geno is an assist trophy, a Mii costume, or Sakurai saying that Geno won't be a character. Saying "only 1 SE rep" is a fanmade rule. No third party characters and only 1 character per third party company were also fanmade rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Only way I see Geno getting in is one of two ways:

1. Verge’s source heard Geno, but said to disregard it. Someone knows Geno’s popularity thus them being leakbait is viable. However, this is not the SE rep, and instead Geno is being treated as a Nintendo rep (could also be why there was a rumor going on about Geno at NoA) and he could be in the running for the final 3. Kinda doubt this tho with the whole spirit thing and everything.

2. Because of the crazy money Ultimate is making, we get another wave of DLC, this time focused on fan favorites.which, I also doubt lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not losing hope in Geno making it in the first wave of DLC, even if Eddy is a character. Again, only fanmade rules are supposedly keeping him out

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Geno is a Mario character. I say he represents the bond of Nintendo and Square Enix because he is a Mario character made by Square Enix. He doesn't represent Square Enix.

I said it was a possibility that the two were planned and that Geno may have simply been just a Mii costume because there wasn't enough time to develop him into a character.

I was also just saying that Nintendo buying Geno is a possibility.

I never said Eddy being in means that Geno is in, I was just saying that Eddy being in doesn't mean Geno is out.

What would deconfirm Geno is an assist trophy, a Mii costume, or Sakurai saying that Geno won't be a character. Saying "only 1 SE rep" is a fanmade rule. No third party characters and only 1 character per third party company were also fanmade rules.
Yeah man I get that those are possibilities. But just because things are possible doesn’t mean they’re probable. I’m just saying that with the information we have at this point that if/when Erdrick is announced and people are disappointed by it they should make themselves heard. If people would have rather SE chose Geno over Erdrick they should say so. There’s nothing inherently problematic with doing so. You don’t have to be a **** about it and say SSBU is ruined or that we’re owed Geno. Just pointing out that Geno (or really most other big SE names) were actually voted for and requested.

D

Deleted member

Yeah man I get that those are possibilities. But just because things are possible doesn’t mean they’re probable. I’m just saying that with the information we have at this point that if/when Erdrick is announced and people are disappointed by it they should make themselves heard. If people would have rather SE chose Geno over Erdrick they should say so. There’s nothing inherently problematic with doing so. You don’t have to be a **** about it and say SSBU is ruined or that we’re owed Geno. Just pointing out that Geno (or really most other big SE names) were actually voted for and requested.
And just because they aren't probable doesn't mean that they won't happen. I said this before, but even if a SE rep gets in before Geno, I'm not giving up.

I think we should just make our voices heard that we want Geno to be in, not make our voices heard about Eddy being in and not Geno. We make our voices heard that we want Geno to be in the game

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm saying a possibility, not fact. It's been discussed in this thread before.
There's been absolutely no evidence that suggests such.

Speaking of which, the datamine has stats for PP that contradict the stats on that website that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice cited earlier. Which would gracefully contradict the notion of PP being some bonus that was orginally base content that got cut.

D

Deleted member

There's been absolutely no evidence that suggests such.

Speaking of which, the datamine has stats for PP that contradict the stats on that website that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice cited earlier. Which would gracefully contradict the notion of PP being some bonus that was orginally base content that got cut.
Which is, again, why I am saying it is a possibility. It hasn't been proven that this isn't the case. That means it is a possibility.

PP is still a bonus. Planned for base roster or not, he is a bonus. And my mistake for believing those stats. But, we likely won't know for sure who that cut character is, but I think that it is either one of the DLC characters or PP

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
And just because they aren't probable doesn't mean that they won't happen. I said this before, but even if a SE rep gets in before Geno, I'm not giving up.

I think we should just make our voices heard that we want Geno to be in, not make our voices heard about Eddy being in and not Geno. We make our voices heard that we want Geno to be in the game
Where do you get all that optimism at?

D

Deleted member

Where do you get all that optimism at?
Well, after seeing the Ridley and K Rool fans get what they want, especially after Sakurai said that Ridley would be impossible to add to the game and all of Nintendo's neglects of K Rool, its just made me want to not give up. Cause, if we give up, that's when it's really over. So I ain't givin' up, no matter what happens.

Or maybe there was no cut character to begin with.
True. If there was one, I think it will be included as DLC, or it was just PP. We'll just have to wait and see though

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

It's less Erdrick being cool or uncool; and more "hey Nintendo was just fine paying a homophobic, bigoted war crime denier for his ****ty MIDI music loops"

Nicnac

Smash Ace
It's less Erdrick being cool or uncool; and more "hey Nintendo was just fine paying a homophobic, bigoted war crime denier for his ****ty MIDI music loops"
Not this again. Do you ever stop being a total buzzkill, dude? Put that infinite amount of energy you're currently using to whine about DQ and putting genuine fans of a series down, and direct it towards operation Starfall.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not this again. Do you ever stop being a total buzzkill, dude? Put that infinite amount of energy you're currently using to whine about DQ and putting genuine fans of a series down, and direct it towards operation Starfall.
There's no real optimism to be had when dealing with Geno vs Dragon Quest. Clearly only one is getting in.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You guy's are kind of passively taking Erdrick right now. I'm not going to act like him getting in isn't Grade A corporate bull****

D

Deleted member

There's no real optimism to be had when dealing with Geno vs Dragon Quest. Clearly only one is getting in.
That's a fanmade rule. And, if Geno isn't in, we make our voices heard only about why we want Geno in the game, rather than a character being chosen over him.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You guy's are kind of passively taking Erdrick right now. I'm not going to act like him getting in isn't Grade A corporate bull****
Sakurai loves DQ3. It has an important legacy. It is an iconic series in Japan. That does not sound that corporate to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom