• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Makes we wonder why these "regular joes" even bother with the leaking business. I mean, fans are gonna find out anyway, so why bother telling if it just gets the employees in trouble?
Are you telling me you WOULDN'T at least be TEMPTED to say that kinda stuff, if you had access to it?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Are you telling me you WOULDN'T at least be TEMPTED to say that kinda stuff, if you had access to it?
Even if I had information suggesting that Phoenix Wright was in. I wouldn't want to:

A.) Risk my job in the industry that I love.

B.) Risk my credibility and trust with fellow workers.

C.) Ruin the surprise.

Now if I did have access, I'd just do the smart thing and pass myself off as your everyday random Joe on sites like these and just make "lucky guesses" at best. Not actually put my profesional self out there with things on the line, ruin surprises or get the community riled.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
In any case, just make sure not to buy any DQ soundtracks unless somebody on Ebay resells them.
By proxy I support Nintendo giving him money for royalties by buying the DLC. It's complicated, but the logic makes sense in my head. I guess it doesn't really have to make sense to everyone cause this is just my personal moral standard lol xD

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
I can't give specifics unless approved because it can implicate people and this has to be taken seriously.

1. A lot of insiders are regular Joes and people like Vergeben and Polar Panda are just the spokespeople. Most are very incognito and don't want people knowing who they are or even what they do. I do agree that this is what gives Polar Panda a leg up but it's also significantly more risky and a few people have figured it out and threatened to expose them.

2. Sometimes it involves stuff that's not illegal but super hard frowned upon like datamining and sharing office memos. At the very least it's usually considered to be very unprofessional and at worst a fireable offense depending on the company.

3. People have been fired because of stuff that's gotten out and a big reason why Hitagi and Vergeben have backed off significantly and why people like Polar and Xenother kind of bounce in and bounce out nowadays.

Like I said, I'm just a guy that sits at the table and relays stuff you all would think is interesting , even when it's vague.
And hey, we appreciate everything you do as well as Panda. At least I know I do. It sucks being in the dark, even if that's where Sakurai and company want us to be for surprise intentions. However, I'd like to know what we're getting into dlc wise before spending money on it. I know things are never really concrete with stuff like this until they finally come out, but I really do appreciate you guys trying to feed us info when you can :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Makes we wonder why these "regular joes" even bother with the leaking business. I mean, fans are gonna find out anyway, so why bother telling if it just gets the employees in trouble?
I kind of wonder too. Even PolarPanda's source has noted "this isn't fun. I don't know why people think this is fun." From what I've seen, usually the spokespeople get connected because of friends or because people notice posters whose "guesses" are a little too insightful and then kind of becomes low-key blackmail. Polar Panda and his source have a good relationship though so I'm happy to report that at least. I dunno. Like me, it might just be because it's fun to talk about, even if it's ultimately gossip.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By proxy I support Nintendo giving him money for royalties by buying the DLC. It's complicated, but the logic makes sense in my head. I guess it doesn't really have to make sense to everyone cause this is just my personal moral standard lol xD
I mean, to be fair, SE only gets a small cut of the profit in this hypothetical case. :p Let's just agree to disagree.

Even if I had information suggesting that Phoenix Wright was in. I wouldn't want to:

A.) Risk my job in the industry that I love.

B.) Risk my credibility and trust with fellow workers.

C.) Ruin the surprise.

Now if I did have access, I'd just do the smart thing and pass myself off as your everyday random Joe on sites like these and just make "lucky guesses" at best. Not actually put my profesional self out there with things on the line, ruin surprises or get the community riled.
Yeah, but sadly most leakers want their 15 minutes of fame and e-peen. Not everyone is like that random joe on 4Chan that managed to figure out PP, while messing up on his mode of transportation (or lack thereof).

It's the nature of the beast, when they act like every day is Christmas Eve.

Xigger

Smash Lord
If your entire career is on the line, if your degree could become worthless, if you could never work your preferred industry job again... it's a pretty big deterrent. While leaking something doesn't get you much besides 15 minutes of fame for someone else.

Not to mention leaks aren't harmless. Marketing campaigns get disrupted, fake leaks ruin fan's hopes and enjoyment of the game, and game creators like Sakurai make big decisions like removing cutscenes or secret fighters in response to leaks.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If your entire career is on the line, if your degree could become worthless, if you could never work your preferred industry job again... it's a pretty big deterrent. While leaking something doesn't get you much besides 15 minutes of fame for someone else.

Not to mention leaks aren't harmless. Marketing campaigns get disrupted, fake leaks ruin fan's hopes and enjoyment of the game, and game creators like Sakurai make big decisions like removing cutscenes or secret fighters in response to leaks.
Exactly. I have to admit that I really hate leak culture and the way it blew up for Smash. I appreciate people like Polar giving us info to help temper our expectations when it comes to Geno, but it's not without its risks. This is something that is... messy and can ruin livelihoods. If people want to treat a video game's DLC as more important than the people behind it and their careers, then I'm just kind of speechless.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I kind of wonder too. Even PolarPanda's source has noted "this isn't fun. I don't know why people think this is fun." From what I've seen, usually the spokespeople get connected because of friends or because people notice posters whose "guesses" are a little too insightful and then kind of becomes low-key blackmail. Polar Panda and his source have a good relationship though so I'm happy to report that at least. I dunno. Like me, it might just be because it's fun to talk about, even if it's ultimately gossip.
I kind of figured about the friends/family thing. That’s usually how secrets get out in general. That blackmail part is super ****ed up though. I can definitely see the appeal of sharing exciting game information. I mean I’m the one that first posted the thread about the Grinch Leak on reddit because it was so exciting ;_; The “spokespeople”/leakers imo are usually huge attention whores. PolarPanda PolarPanda , yourself, and the other veterans are the only ones I’ve followed and interacted with that come off as genuinely decent and cool people.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, based on the way the conversation is going, would you all like if I limit what I say about what I know? Sounds like it stresses people out more than people enjoy it. How about this; I'll just say stuff if people ask, how's that?

D

Deleted member

So, based on the way the conversation is going, would you all like if I limit what I say about what I know? Sounds like it stresses people out more than people enjoy it. How about this; I'll just say stuff if people ask, how's that?
What you've said already is enough in my opinon. It definetely would be the best to keep risk to a minimum

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Yeah, And now that you mention it I have a question to ask you.

How're you?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What you've said already is enough in my opinon. It definetely would be the best to keep risk to a minimum
Agreed. The most I would personally really ask for is if Geno is, at any point, flat-out deconfirmed, and even that feels like stretching it. Be careful with the info and don't divulge too much, my guy. It's definitely risky.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Agreed. The most I would personally really ask for is if Geno is, at any point, flat-out deconfirmed, and even that feels like stretching it. Be careful with the info and don't divulge too much, my guy. It's definitely risky.
Nothing new on the Geno front and it's just weird. Like I've talked about in the past, the way he's talked about is different from Sora who most people say is just totally out of the running because what is known. Vergeben's main source said Geno was leak bait but said he thought this for "personal reasons" so, again, it's weird, especially with NoA's behavior thrown in. Most people just agree with Vergeben's source because of their track record.

Yeah, And now that you mention it I have a question to ask you.

How're you?
Alright, currently in the passenger seat on my way to my parents for Christmas. I have my ups and downs largely because overthinking and depression go about as well together as Long Island Ice Tea and keeping your exe's number in your phone. My wife helps a lot because she has a lot of the same issues so we can relate to each other and know what to do if we get particularly bad. Thank you for asking. It's shaping up to be a good Christmas.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Alright, currently in the passenger seat on my way to my parents for Christmas. I have my ups and downs largely because overthinking and depression go about as well together as Long Island Ice Tea and keeping your exe's number in your phone. My wife helps a lot because she has a lot of the same issues so we can relate to each other and know what to do if we get particularly bad. Thank you for asking. It's shaping up to be a good Christmas.
Neat <3
I want to wish you a merry christmas in advance, I'm glad on hearing that things are going well so please, enjoy it as you can whenever you can.

Merry Christmas in advance to everyone who read this sentence too, may it be a good old night to all of you, Users, Guests, Supporters or not, enjoy the christmas eve.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Ah, good ol' overthinking. If only there was a Overthinker's Anonymous. I guess forum boards do the trick pretty well. Sometimes when I don't know what to think about Geno, I change up my signature instead, that way I can overthink all the positive signs over the years.

D

Deleted member

So to clarify, if a DQ character is in, it wouldn't do much to Geno's chances?

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Have a good Christmas man.

Its great because people have literally been arguing about Geno/Erdrick and no one has bothered to ask how anyone is in this thread. Its good to take breaks.

D

Deleted member

It's hard to call any shots honestly. Their reasons for getting in are basically the exact opposite (massive franchise with small demand vs lesser known character with massive demand).
I could absolutely (and hopefully) see them both getting in, but I also wouldn't count on it. All we can really do is wait and see.

TBone06

Smash Ace
It's hard to call any shots honestly. Their reasons for getting in are basically the exact opposite (massive franchise with small demand vs lesser known character with massive demand).
I could absolutely (and hopefully) see them both getting in, but I also wouldn't count on it. All we can really do is wait and see.
I find it strange that the Geno and Mallow spirits have the mushroom icon, and they are listed with the rest of the Mario spirits. I thought they may be separated. But it seems like they are treating them as Mario characters. Perhaps another Square character doesn't rule Geno out.

We'll see I guess

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably not, honestly. DQ has been a part of the conversation for so long and so much is known compared to literally every leaked Smash character ever that it implies that, again, it was something decided maybe as far back as Dragon Quest XI being announced for the "NX" in August 2016 and was possibly even intended for the base game. I do think it was meant to promote the game on the Switch but, in typical Square Enix fashion, the game got caught in development Hell and it threw a monkey wrench in things. Dragon Quest XI on Switch is still MIA two years later and even Square had admitted that serious development wouldn't start until Kingdom Hearts III went platinum. This also explains why Joker was a complete surprise and why the remaining three DLC characters are totally unknown aside from the Lloyd/Yuri whispers because they were decided much later.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Probably not, honestly. DQ has been a part of the conversation for so long and so much is known compared to literally every leaked Smash character ever that it implies that, again, it was something decided maybe as far back as Dragon Quest XI being announced for the "NX" in August 2016 and was possibly even intended for the base game. I do think it was meant to promote the game on the Switch but, in typical Square Enix fashion, the game got caught in development Hell and it threw a monkey wrench in things. Dragon Quest XI on Switch is still MIA two years later and even Square had admitted that serious development wouldn't start until Kingdom Hearts III went platinum. This also explains why Joker was a complete surprise and why the remaining three DLC characters are totally unknown aside from the Lloyd/Yuri whispers because they were decided much later.
Stupid theory, but what if this DQ rep if real got mixed up with Lloyd/Yuri? I truly don't see two swordfighters coming in this pack since they're supposed to be unexpected when Swordfighters are a huge Smash meme.

I dunno guess I won't be convinced till it happens.

D

Deleted member

Stupid theory, but what if this DQ rep if real got mixed up with Lloyd/Yuri? I truly don't see two swordfighters coming in this pack since they're supposed to be unexpected when Swordfighters are a huge Smash meme.

I dunno guess I won't be convinced till it happens.
Extremely unlikely, considering that's dealing with completely different companies.

D

Deleted member

Makes me think the DQ character could be Luminary. Thanks for the info!

Have a good Christmas btw :)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I guess I'm just having a hard time outright trusting any leaker completely at this point not because I hate them or anything, there's just too many inconsistencies for me to completely believe people. Especially after that whole Loz 18 situation. Fake info is out there, and none of us not even most leakers can be completely positive on what's the truth.

Me? I'm gonna keep holding out on my two boys till the end. They're not out of this race yet and untill I get a hard deconfirmation, I'm gonna keep going with my gut and evidence.

D

Deleted member

I guess I'm just having a hard time outright trusting any leaker completely at this point not because I hate them or anything, there's just too many inconsistencies for me to completely believe people. Especially after that whole Loz 18 situation. Fake info is out there, and none of us not even most leakers can be completely positive on what's the truth.

Me? I'm gonna keep holding out on my two boys till the end. They're not out of this race yet and untill I get a hard deconfirmation, I'm gonna keep going with my gut and evidence.
Geno and Ninten 4life

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
Nothing new on the Geno front and it's just weird. Like I've talked about in the past, the way he's talked about is different from Sora who most people say is just totally out of the running because what is known. Vergeben's main source said Geno was leak bait but said he thought this for "personal reasons" so, again, it's weird, especially with NoA's behavior thrown in. Most people just agree with Vergeben's source because of their track record.

Merry Christmas my man and to the rest of the smash family. Times are hectic right now haha but no matter the outcome, we're all smash fans/family in the end. My most wanted is Geno, but I'm rooting for everyone to get their favs in, despite it being impossible to get everyone's favorite in. The more the merrier! Okay, I'm done being sappy now haha

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Some people suspect that LoZ18 saw screenshots of the Skull Kid Mii costume and came to the wrong conclusion based on that and the assist trophy being MIA at the time. Some knew better, like Polar Panda's source but wanted him to get BTFO because of his showboating and how he regularly leaked private emails so didn't bother to correct him. The Mii costume is really convincing though and, to be fair, would honestly fool anyone if you didn't have actual footage.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Some people suspect that LoZ18 saw screenshots of the Skull Kid Mii costume and came to the wrong conclusion based on that and the assist trophy being MIA at the time. Some knew better, like Polar Panda's source but wanted him to get BTFO because of his showboating and how he regularly leaked private emails so didn't bother to correct him. The Mii costume is really convincing though and, to be fair, would honestly fool anyone if you didn't have actual footage.
I wouldn't be surprised if LoZ did see the Skull Kid Mii Costume and Isaac Assist Trophy. Without context, screenshots of them could easily be mistaken for full playable characters.

For example:

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Plot twist: what if by DQ rep all this time it wasn't a Dragon Quest character, but Diary Queen representation in smash. A DLC featuring new Smash items including the classic Dairy Queen Blizzard, shakes & chocolate cakes. Specially sponsored by Dairy Queen™.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I remember reading that he had scripts for Skull Kid and Dracula within directs but wasn’t sure if they were characters or not. I guess I really don’t know who to believe anymore in that department.

I guess this goes back to my point of no one’s 100% sure what’s going on anymore. So I’m gonna be like LaxChris and take it with a grain of salt™

Please kill me

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I...I just don't know man. I really like you dude, but this? This phrase right here? This just hurts man. Everyday is Pants Optional ® Day.
Let's look at the most important people in history okay?
1. Guy who invented fire - wasn't wearing pants
2. Guy who invented the shirt - might have been wearing pants but wait he wasn't because he and guy number 3 are the same person and he invented the shirt second
3. Guy who invented pants - originally wasn't wearing pants
4. Geno - NEVER WEARS PANTS
5. Geno - YEAH HE'S SO COOL THAT HE'S ON THE LIST TWICE, AND STILL NOT WEARING PANTS
6. ZZ Top - yeah they wear pants, but they don't have to. They're too cool to tell what to do, but if they didn't wear pants, nobody would say a thing
7. Me at home - not wearing pants
8. Me at the office - not wearing pants
9. Me being escorted out of the office by the police because I wasn't wearing pants - STILL not wearing pants
10. Most of the Spartans - really didn't wear much of anything, so yeah
11. Neptune - you look me dead in the eyes and tell me he's wearing pants in this picture.

Come on my friend. I believe in you. Make everyday Pants Optional ® Day. Be the hero we need.

Edit: fiance watched me type this whole and told me it may be a good idea to mention that I 'm on painkillers from having teeth pulled and I have a very low tolerance for that stuff (aka, knocked my *** for a loop till they wear off).
Thank Heaven I'm off work too till January.
Uh-oh, that gives me the feeling Japan's censorship is going to be a little harsh on Geno if he makes it in as a playable character. They were already angry about Lyn, Palutena, and Snake... I wonder how they'll feel about a doll not wearing pants. Watch them make Geno's cape so large that it covers his butt and lower/hypogastric area.

Now, a quote brought to you by Sakurai:

"Underwear is just a piece of fabric. If you're more worried about something trivial like whether you can see some cloth than whether a game includes firearms, you clearly ought to get your priorities in order."

Exactly, Mr. Sakurai, you couldn't have said it any better! People are worried about their kids seeing a piece of fabric instead of playing the damn game!

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't be surprised if LoZ did see the Skull Kid Mii Costume and Isaac Assist Trophy. Without context, screenshots of them could easily be mistaken for full playable characters.

For example:
It's a really good mii costume. I don't really use brawler, but I def use the skull kid version though. That and the Geno costumes are the best I've seen in smash. Hopefully we get it back if he's not in.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Okay, new version:

Geno (Ultimate).png

Basically the same except with the High-Quality banner (had to resize the banner so it'd look like this again but at least the detail is noticeable I guess)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom